Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bikers Overtaking Large Vehicles

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Noticed on another thread we have a few bikers on the forums so would like to ask a question if you don't mind

if you are on the bike in lanes and stuck behind a large van. Let say a campervan which is travelling quite slow because its heavy and full of plates and iam not speeding up, would you prefer if the van

Carry on at a steady predictable pace and leave you to pass when you can

Or giving good signal pull over where it can find a place and let you pass bearing in mind that the van stopping will force you to slow down

There have been times where a bike or two is stuck behind, interested to see what is better for the van to do from a bikers point of view,

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Simply carry on as you are, a bike will take seconds to overtake you so you do not need to do anything drastic like drive in the hedge etc.

I remember following vehicles who would move right over to the point they were literally in the hedge and they would do this for a long time however I wouldn't commit to an overtake until I felt it was safe. In slowing or pulling over you could potentially make a biker make a decision to overtake at an unsafe time due to them not wanting you to be dragging your car through the hedgerow.

Calm and steady is fine

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

As above. Do nothing an leave us to it

over a year ago

Cheers guys makes perfect sense

over a year ago

same as above but nice to know there are some of you out there thinking of us

over a year ago

If I see a bike behind me, I just move over a bit to let them pass, if they can, but don't move so far over I drive off the road lol.

I just like getting a wave off them

Gill

over a year ago

It depends what mood I'm in and the weather really to do dangerous stuff when I'm riding. I tend to be chilled when riding.

over a year ago

For me keep what you are doing, if the scenery is nice I might have a little look while I am riding along. Also it gives me a chance to try to figure out a possible way past when clear to do so.

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"If I see a bike behind me, I just move over a bit to let them pass, if they can, but don't move so far over I drive off the road lol.

I just like getting a wave off them

Gill"

This

By *riskygazMan
over a year ago

birmingham

just keep going we will get past with no problem at all, the acceleration of a decent size bike is amazing, I have never been stuck behind anything for very long. And some days I am happy just pottering along eyeing up the women on the streets lol

over a year ago

yep, as said, just keep on keeping on.

any biker worth their salt will know the best time to overtake you.

just enjoy the thanks you get for noticing us lol

over a year ago

I can only pedal so fast, up to now I have never had the urge to try overtaking a vehicle, but I suppose one day , with the wind behind me, going downhill, the need may arise.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

as an hgv driver i will if i can make room for a bike to pass whether in my car or truck much prefer to have the bike in front of me where i can see what hes doing than behind/sitting in my blindspot causing me to be distracted from the road ahead . having said that most dont need the encouragement and behave sensibly its just the odd organ doner who overtake in stupid places

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

Just keep going and driving steadily. Dont forget that most medium size bikes have the equivalent power of a high powered sports car and big sports bikes are faster accelerating than all but the most powerful super-cars.

By *ree8iveMan
over a year ago

CORNWALL

Yep, what they all said! Nice to think you are thinking about us though!

When filtering through traffic, I do give a wave to cars that move over...at least it shows they are aware and using mirrors.

Xx

over a year ago

As above. Most bikers will know when an overtake is

A) on

B) SAFE!!

And will overtake when they are comfortable with it.

Moving over is an invitation to overtake and some less experienced bikers may take it as an indication that it is clear to do so. Dangerous!

Mind you...darwins theory applies here

Best bet is to drive normally and allow the more manouverable motorcycle to use all his nouse to look through corners and all the other key indicators as to whether an overtake is on.

Moving over to create a little space in a traffic queue for filtering is very acceptable

I once went around the R0 Brussels in rush hour and EVERY vehicle moved over (left and right) to allow motorcycles to filter..felt like the parting of the seas!!

Cheers

dave

over a year ago

Let us sort out when we overtake. We will overtake when we are ready. Most of us, regardless of what the TV shows you are sensible. Don't spend miles in the gutter damaging your vehicle and spraying us with road rubbish. Oh, and please don't chuck your fag ends out at us. And if you do move over for me I will always acknowledge you.

When I'm in my car I move over only if I judge, as a motorcyclist, that it would be safe for me to overtake on my bike.

As the others said we have plenty of acceleration and braking if needed. This can keep us safe if used appropriately.

over a year ago

Highway Code states that you should pull over to let all faster vehicles pass. Not just motorbikes

over a year ago

If it's just one or two of us on bikes behind, then please just continue as you are and leave it to us to make the decision for a safe overtake.

However, as I also drive a car, and live in Snowdonia, I can vouch for how annoying it is to be held up behind a campervan or caravan that's crawling along. They may seem like narrow little lanes to you, but please remember that they are our main roads!

I'd love to see the continental system used here where oncoming vehicles signal to say that you're holding up 5 or more other vehicles, at which point you are expected to pull over when safe to let them past....

over a year ago

You could ask the idiot who was overtaking up the White line on an A road this morning at about 120mph whilst vehicles were coming the other way but I don't think he will live long enough to give an answer! These are the ones that not only give bikers a bad name but also make the statistics regarding fatalities on bikes look a lot worst than they should do

over a year ago

Never overtake unless you deem it's safe enough. I ride hard and fast I throw my bike down on corners getting down like china town. Overtaking is what I will not do at speed unless safe. I have dislocated both my hips recently due to a collision I had.

over a year ago

Sounds like a few need to read Roadcraft and/or the police riders handbook

And a few more car drivers should take a look at more training.. passing your test isnt the end of it... its the beginning!!

Highly recommend advanced training... both bike and car!!

IAM for example...

Dave

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

personally, i would be more interested in whats in front of me, and let whats behind me take care of itself by concentrating on whats in front of it.

if that makes sense lol

By *renchbambi xWoman
over a year ago

Need to know basis

"Noticed on another thread we have a few bikers on the forums so would like to ask a question if you don't mind

if you are on the bike in lanes and stuck behind a large van. Let say a campervan which is travelling quite slow because its heavy and full of plates and iam not speeding up, would you prefer if the van

Carry on at a steady predictable pace and leave you to pass when you can

Or giving good signal pull over where it can find a place and let you pass bearing in mind that the van stopping will force you to slow down

There have been times where a bike or two is stuck behind, interested to see what is better for the van to do from a bikers point of view,

"

When on my bike I only trust myself! But to answer your Q I'd go for A.

By *urvywelshCouple
over a year ago

Everywhere and nowhere baby

If I have a motorbike behind me I like to make them aware that I know they're there. I signal in plenty of time to let them know if I'm turning right or changing lanes etc. just to let them know not to overtake me at the wrong time. Always think of bikes when pulling out of junctions etc.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Used to be a dispatch rider on ma Kawasaki Z750, was going to deliver a parcel to Liverpool and when I went past an artic on the bridge over the ship canal the wind nearly blew me into the path of another vehicle

I throttled back and waited until we had reached lower ground

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

During Roadworks on the M5 - They had this "Stay-In-Lane" Thingy whilst the fast lane was closed..

we happened to be on the middle lane and somewhat sticking to the speed limit..

seen a group of bikers approach at speed so we moved back over the solid white line into a Gap in Traffic..

The Guy waved as he passed and about 5 minutes later it was gridlock..

That guy was buried into the back of someones car....

Sometimes i wish we had never moved over

By *its_n_piecesCouple
over a year ago

ignore what other road users preferences are. look at points 168 and 169 of the highway code and you can't go wrong.

By *inge61Couple
over a year ago

n/wales

Drive or ride for yourself not others look where your going bit be aware of others let them make the decision

over a year ago

Haha, look forward! Novel idea that is will give it a try sometime

its not a problem in its self iam happy to plod along, on some occasions I have been on long windy hard to overtake roads with bikes stuck behind me for a while, obviously brake slower and indicate sooner to compensate for them,

the question rises because sometimes I have been unsure if the biker would prefer me to stop and let them pass in a cut off/layby but I appreciate this may force them to brake while I reduce speed to pull in or just keep going

the question has been answered superbly just responding to defend the concept iam traveling with my eyes constantly behind me,

if I look forward does that mean I have to turn round and drive forward,lol its the misses she likes looking at the bikers you see

By *andm288Couple
over a year ago

oxford

If a driver of any vehicle moves over to let a biker pass then they always get a thank you gesture from me or J but on a whole we can accelerate at a greater speed than a car / van so either way if we want to get past & is safe to do so !! We won't be behind you for long

Safe riding

Post new Message to Thread