Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bargain! (Food related)

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Well chuffed this evening to bag 4 packs of meat balls, reduced from 2.00 GBP each to 45p, 12 in a pack sufficient for 2 meals.

So I fried them up, and made a thick tomato sauce to go with them.

All eight portions costing less than a fiver to make, now that's what I call a bargain!

Still not the best I had from my local supermarket. That was 9p for a roast chicken!

Anyone else likes food bargains?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Well chuffed this evening to bag 4 packs of meat balls, reduced from 2.00 GBP each to 45p, 12 in a pack sufficient for 2 meals.

All eight portions costing less than a fiver to make, now that's what I call a bargain!

Still not the best I had from my local supermarket. That was 9p for a roast chicken!

Anyone else likes food bargains? "

Fek me some lucky begger is in for a good feed!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Well as some know i live next door to tesco's if you go over after 7 they have a bargain shelf often get good stuff. Also can get there big bouquet of flowers that should be a tenner for 50p

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

"Well chuffed this evening to bag 4 packs of meat balls, reduced from 2.00 GBP each to 45p, 12 in a pack sufficient for 2 meals.

ooooooooooooooooooh yeah always up for a food bargain!!!!

Yesterday - not QUITE such a good bargain as yours - but got a free range chicken for £5 and 8 pork chops for £5 - so cooked up the chicken, which so far has fed me 3 times (and whole tupperware tub full of breast left yet - curry etc ,e thinks!!! LOL)

And i cooked up 6 of the pork chops on a casserole - so have 6 portions of that now in the freezer.

So, 12 meals for a tenner

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Well as some know i live next door to tesco's if you go over after 7 they have a bargain shelf often get good stuff. Also can get there big bouquet of flowers that should be a tenner for 50p"

Blimey , thats handy diamond

no hassle of ever running out of stuff.

over a year ago

Were the meatballs from Tesco as my local store was flogging them off as well tonight but they looked kinda off. I guess you have to be quick to get the bargains.

Think it was 18 or maybe more in the packet???

over a year ago

Was given a fresh chicken for nowt in Lidl!

over a year ago

"Were the meatballs from Tesco as my local store was flogging them off as well tonight but they looked kinda off. I guess you have to be quick to get the bargains.

Think it was 18 or maybe more in the packet???"

My preferred local supermarket is a Morrison's.

over a year ago

"Was given a fresh chicken for nowt in Lidl!"

They usually give food away on 24 Dec around midday.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

well its obviously their policy to give it away free food stuff who lick the packaging!!!

over a year ago

"Well as some know i live next door to tesco's if you go over after 7 they have a bargain shelf often get good stuff. Also can get there big bouquet of flowers that should be a tenner for 50p"

I am one of those bargain hunters who go to the supermarket late at night for goodies, and have been doing it ever since I was a poor student!

over a year ago

Sainsbuys and marks and sparks have some really good deals to , at certain times of the day

sainsburys for the beef

By *ornyandnymphoCouple
over a year ago

poole

We are on a limited wage at the moment, so whenever we go to the supermarket we always check out the reduced section [ in particular the meat ]

Sunday roast pork

Monday roast chicken salad

Tuesday pancakes!!!!

Wednesday pork chops

Today fish

Tomorrow spaghetti bolognaise

This sunday roast duck

All from reduced section and frozen until needed, otherwise we couldn't afford to eat as well as we do!

We also have steak at least once a month.

over a year ago

I was in Edinburgh with my daughter shopping after she had finished work and she surprised me by getting lots of meat and veg and bread rolls in Lidl's for absolutely nothing! She informed me they give it away just before closing time, after the tills where you pay for what you have purchased it's placed where you pack your bags

over a year ago

"Was given a fresh chicken for nowt in Lidl!

I was in Edinburgh with my daughter shopping after she had finished work and she surprised me by getting lots of meat and veg and bread rolls in Lidl's for absolutely nothing! She informed me they give it away just before closing time, after the tills where you pay for what you have purchased it's placed where you pack your bags "

nice one

over a year ago

"ooooooooooooooooooh yeah always up for a food bargain!!!!

Yesterday - not QUITE such a good bargain as yours - but got a free range chicken for £5 and 8 pork chops for £5 - so cooked up the chicken, which so far has fed me 3 times (and whole tupperware tub full of breast left yet - curry etc ,e thinks!!! LOL)

And i cooked up 6 of the pork chops on a casserole - so have 6 portions of that now in the freezer.

So, 12 meals for a tenner "

Batch cooking is very cost effective indeed!

Can't understand why peeps would pay 4.00 GBP for a single portion of ready meal in M&S, sorry!

I hardly buy any ready meals, as I like to cook, and I know what goes into my food, and it works out cheaper!

Forum Mod

over a year ago

You can get a free cat at Diamonds tesco's

over a year ago

Never buy ready meals.

crap in plastic.

Im a qualified chef so do all my own

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

gotta love compost corner!!! first place i go to in the supermarket

over a year ago

"Were the meatballs from Tesco as my local store was flogging them off as well tonight but they looked kinda off. I guess you have to be quick to get the bargains.

Think it was 18 or maybe more in the packet???

My preferred local supermarket is a Morrison's. "

So it wasn't from Tesco you got the meatballs from then.

I don't have a preference on where i shop, i just go with the flow however i do like Aldi and Lidl's cold meats and crisp

over a year ago

Asda are doing thier own Curry Sauce for 5p (large bottle) it's great value for knocking up curries to use up that cheap chicken you all buying and sticking in the freezer.

Recently they had low voltage light bulbs at 5p on the shelf, I bought 20 but at the checkout they went through at £2 each, when I questioned it a supervisor checked the shelf and said they were wrongly priced but adjusted my purchase to give me them at the advertised price (something they do not have to do) then quickly had the price ticket removed from the shelf so they could be re-marked at £2 each - result for me

over a year ago

"We are on a limited wage at the moment, so whenever we go to the supermarket we always check out the reduced section [ in particular the meat ]

Sunday roast pork

Tuesday pancakes!!!!

Wednesday pork chops

Today fish

This sunday roast duck

All from reduced section and frozen until needed, otherwise we couldn't afford to eat as well as we do!

We also have steak at least once a month."

Long live reduced section in the supermarket I'd say!

Got loads of cooked meat tonight as well. They are usually the pre-cut ones that have gone slightly dried. So the pets are in for a treat! For example, 20p for 3 big slices of top side roast beef!!!

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"We are on a limited wage at the moment, so whenever we go to the supermarket we always check out the reduced section [ in particular the meat ]

Sunday roast pork

Tuesday pancakes!!!!

Wednesday pork chops

Today fish

This sunday roast duck

We also have steak at least once a month.

Long live reduced section in the supermarket I'd say!

Got loads of cooked meat tonight as well. They are usually the pre-cut ones that have gone slightly dried. So the pets are in for a treat! For example, 20p for 3 big slices of top side roast beef!!! "

anyone would think you are expecting an extra mouth to feed stocking up like that! lol

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Asda are doing thier own Curry Sauce for 5p (large bottle) it's great value for knocking up curries to use up that cheap chicken you all buying and sticking in the freezer.

Recently they had low voltage light bulbs at 5p on the shelf, I bought 20 but at the checkout they went through at £2 each, when I questioned it a supervisor checked the shelf and said they were wrongly priced but adjusted my purchase to give me them at the advertised price (something they do not have to do) then quickly had the price ticket removed from the shelf so they could be re-marked at £2 each - result for me "

If its priced up wrongly and you get charged more its false advertising and could have got them some grief. (Well its technically theft if they take more than advertised at) You were very kind to them not to peruse things.

over a year ago

"My preferred local supermarket is a Morrison's.

So it wasn't from Tesco you got the meatballs from then.

I don't have a preference on where i shop, i just go with the flow however i do like Aldi and Lidl's cold meats and crisp "

Some of the staff miss me when I don't go in on a Thursday, and they would ask if I am ok the following week, bless them!

That's why I like late night shopping on Thursdays, as it is quieter, and the food I get will last until the weekend!

Post new Message to Thread