Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Compulsory National Service

Jump to newest

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

A bill to introduce 1 years CNS will be reintroduced in Feb 2014.

All 18-26 year olds will be obliged to participate.

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"A bill to introduce 1 years CNS will be reintroduced in Feb 2014.

All 18-26 year olds will be obliged to participate."

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Both myself and Tracy are both ex RAF and it taught us respect for others and their property. I think this is a great idea especially if they can be taught a useful trade.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

It wouldn't necessarily be in the forces. The Bill's proposer talks about working in NHS, the care system, community enterprise etc.

Cheap labour? Cut the unemployment figures pre election?

Reply privately

over a year ago

More great government ideas and propaganda. You must admit this lot make a mad hatters tea party seem sane.

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"It wouldn't necessarily be in the forces. The Bill's proposer talks about working in NHS, the care system, community enterprise etc.

Cheap labour? Cut the unemployment figures pre election?"

Don't look at it as cheap labour. Look at it as doing something in return for a state handout.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I don't think there'll be wages involved. Just board and lodgings.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Good, it'll give a firm base for a young person to build a future on, experience is key when it comes to progressing.

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

I think it would be ideal if the kids left school and went straight into it before they started a job.

I can't see it doing them any harm. Some might actually like it and decide to make a career of it.

It wont happen though. The little deers civil and human rights might be violated

Reply privately

over a year ago

Child labour for FREE..............

Even convicted criminals get paid.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Certainly a lot better than going on a gap year and swanning around bars in Thailand

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Philip Hollobone, MP for Kettering reckons it's a runner.

He's the guy who is also arguing for facial coverings such as burkas to be banned in public.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 15/09/13 12:18:12]

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yahoooooo

Reply privately

over a year ago

Its got to be better than sitting/sleeping at home all day being unproductive

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"Child labour for FREE..............

Even convicted criminals get paid."

Yeah, pay them 30p a day just like the guests of Her Majesty

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

How about making it compulsary and a condition of qualifying for future benefits?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"How about making it compulsary and a condition of qualifying for future benefits? "

Love that !

Reply privately

over a year ago

So, where would the money come from to fund all this - the basic wage, the accommodation etc,etc - plus the lifetime increase in personal tax allowance?

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Its got to be better than sitting/sleeping at home all day being unproductive"

Now, now. Have you seen the birth rate recently?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am almost certain we abolished "slave labour" several years ago.

If the loonies want the youth`s to work,they need to create jobs.

Not another idea formed on the back of a beer mat in the cheap bar in the house.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"So, where would the money come from to fund all this - the basic wage, the accommodation etc,etc - plus the lifetime increase in personal tax allowance?

"

Selling off Royal Mail? Cutting Housing Benefit?

The list goes on..........

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I am almost certain we abolished "slave labour" several years ago.

Not another idea formed on the back of a beer mat in the cheap bar in the house."

Did you know they were loonies from the idea or did you have to check that Philip Hollobone is a Tory?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anything to get the youth unemployment figures down and boost our cash strapped forced.

I think the idea is great. Everyone from abroad I've met that did it is a better person for it, and I loved my time as a QA.

But I can see the implementation being all over the place from a party more interested in propaganda than the public who vote for them

Reply privately

over a year ago

being 21 does this mean i will have to leave my £30,000 per year job for a year. to earn half that? or will the government compensate the amount lost

yeah great idea

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

It should apply to anyone wanting to come to this country to work too.

I mean them Taliban are already trained

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I don't think there'll be wages involved. Just board and lodgings."

There are many people in the UK whose wage is so crap they can just about cover board and lodgings, and don't qualify for any benefits. I think compulsory national service is an excellent idea - it would give today's teens some perspective of what it's like in the real world, but I'm sure it will increase the rate of early teen pregnancies in an effort to avoid it.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

being 21 does this mean i will have to leave my £30,000 per year job for a year. to earn half that? or will the government compensate the amount lost

yeah great idea "

Actually, that DOES seem to be the implication of the Bill. The only exceptions will be "Those with severe mental or physical disabilities"

Still, you'll have sufficient savings to last a year on short rations.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not another idea formed on the back of a beer mat in the cheap bar in the house.

Did you know they were loonies from the idea or did you have to check that Philip Hollobone is a Tory?"

I have no idea what party the muppet belongs to and it doesnt really matter.

Why should a person that is in full time employment,be forced to give it up.

Why dont they just scrap MPs expenses and save millions for the tax payer.

Save that horrible woman from swanning round the world and writing books,while being paid to do a job she either isnt doing or doing very little at.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"...... but I'm sure it will increase the rate of early teen pregnancies in an effort to avoid it."

There'll be separate accommodation and 'employment' provided for such children.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 15/09/13 12:35:41]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"It wouldn't necessarily be in the forces. The Bill's proposer talks about working in NHS, the care system, community enterprise etc.

Cheap labour? Cut the unemployment figures pre election?

Don't look at it as cheap labour. Look at it as doing something in return for a state handout. "

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Sorry about the double postings. My mouse is having a turn.

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"I don't think there'll be wages involved. Just board and lodgings.

There are many people in the UK whose wage is so crap they can just about cover board and lodgings, and don't qualify for any benefits. I think compulsory national service is an excellent idea - it would give today's teens some perspective of what it's like in the real world, but I'm sure it will increase the rate of early teen pregnancies in an effort to avoid it."

Boys don't get pregnant though, and the cynic in me would think, "if I'm going, then so are you"

Reply privately

By * Jay69Man
over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

Guess they can put up the parent's rent for the resulting spare bedroom, this would cover part of the cost.

Reply privately

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

I'd love my son to be in something like the National Service in the armed forces or something.

Been trying to get him in the cadets for a couple of years. Think it should apply to 16-19 year olds tho

Reply privately

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

If it's true it is a stupid idea

The military don't want it.

We don't need a bunch of unmotivated semi literate chavs looking after multi million pound bits of kit.

FFS people, think this through.

You want better mannered well behaved people then work on the schools (and the parents).

Stupid STUPID idea.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Bring back the benefit system of 1949

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"If it's true it is a stupid idea

We don't need a bunch of unmotivated semi literate chavs looking after multi million pound bits of kit.

You want better mannered well behaved people then work on the schools (and the parents).

Stupid STUPID idea."

You don't seriously think they'd let a 16yr old get his mits on the good stuff do you?

Nah, it'll be a year of spud bashing and painting coal

Reply privately

By *icoupleforfunz27Couple
over a year ago

liverpool

Great idea, to many young people who have no respect these days.

Well in most cases its the parents fault who don't teach them, so they don't know anything else, maybe now they will learn for them self's.

Reply privately

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

Stupid STUPID idea.

You don't seriously think they'd let a 16yr old get his mits on the good stuff do you?

Nah, it'll be a year of spud bashing and painting coal"

which means someone will have to supervise them, train them, educate them etc etc etc

Nope. This idea needs killing at birth.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Am sure that will certainly motivate them into becoming first class adults.

Must be thousands of companies demanding experience spud peelers,all fully trained at tax payers expense.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"How about making it compulsary and a condition of qualifying for future benefits? "

To true I have always said this, if you want to claim benefits then should have to work for them, cleaning streets any public sector to save on costs.

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"

Nah, it'll be a year of spud bashing and painting coal

Must be thousands of companies demanding experience spud peelers,all fully trained at tax payers expense."

fookin' right mate, them thin chipsies at Maccy Dees and Burger King take some makin'

Reply privately

over a year ago

"More great government ideas and propaganda. You must admit this lot make a mad hatters tea party seem sane. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Must be thousands of companies demanding experience spud peelers,all fully trained at tax payers expense.

fookin' right mate, them thin chipsies at Maccy Dees and Burger King take some makin'"

Sounds great,if you dont work at the factory that is already making them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stupid STUPID idea."

Since when has the military been a democracy?! They're paid to take orders, whether they agree with them or not. Those that disagree can always leave and get another job.

Reply privately

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

I don't have a problem with my kids being obliged to serve a one year tour of compulsory civil service, as long as they are paid at least the minimum wage for their labours. There's a big difference between creating a sense of national responsibility and bare faced exploitation.

However, I do have a problem with the idea that they either won't get paid or that they will have to serve a one year tour of military service - we all know what happens when politicians get the idea that they can do as they like with a country's drafted youth...

Mind you, if it takes this sort of thing to teach our young people the meaning of respect (either for themselves or for the property of others) then perhaps we should also be thinking about how better to educate and raise them in the first place.

Maybe, by the same token, we should expect the same of large foreign corporations who want to come here and take advantage of our resources and favourable trading conditions - if they're willing to make a real contribution to our society then all well and good, but if they're not then they can bugger off elsewhere.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stupid STUPID idea."

In theory, schools should be able to teach the students better manners, respect, but by the time they get there, they already have certain learned traits from parents.

A child of 5 who has no respect, will have learnt this, and it is very difficult to "unlearn" what you see your parents do every day!

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"I don't have a problem with my kids being obliged to serve a one year tour of compulsory civil service, as long as they are paid at least the minimum wage for their labours. There's a big difference between creating a sense of national responsibility and bare faced exploitation.

However, I do have a problem with the idea that they either won't get paid or that they will have to serve a one year tour of military service - we all know what happens when politicians get the idea that they can do as they like with a country's drafted youth...

Mind you, if it takes this sort of thing to teach our young people the meaning of respect (either for themselves or for the property of others) then perhaps we should also be thinking about how better to educate and raise them in the first place.

Maybe, by the same token, we should expect the same of large foreign corporations who want to come here and take advantage of our resources and favourable trading conditions - if they're willing to make a real contribution to our society then all well and good, but if they're not then they can bugger off elsewhere."

Need more people like you in power, as they don't seem to care about what we the public want

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

Stupid STUPID idea.

In theory, schools should be able to teach the students better manners, respect, but by the time they get there, they already have certain learned traits from parents.

A child of 5 who has no respect, will have learnt this, and it is very difficult to "unlearn" what you see your parents do every day!"

Schools can't "beast" you like the military can.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

Since when has the military been a democracy?! They're paid to take orders, whether they agree with them or not. Those that disagree can always leave and get another job."

It can be a bit difficult to leave when you're x,000 ft below (insert name of ocean here)

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Stupid STUPID idea.

A child of 5 who has no respect, will have learnt this, and it is very difficult to "unlearn" what you see your parents do every day!

Schools can't "beast" you like the military can. "

You're clearly not an Old Etonian.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Stupid STUPID idea.

A child of 5 who has no respect, will have learnt this, and it is very difficult to "unlearn" what you see your parents do every day!"

Can't agree enough, my oldest is 5 and as much respect for everyone and everything, my and my OH are just a couple of normal youngsters, but brought them up well so far, and will continue to do so.

What a lot of people forget, is to earn respect you have to show it aswell, to many people these days demand respect because of age ect, but anyone that shows me respect will have mine in return.

Reply privately

By *unglerivermonkeyMan
over a year ago

Scarborough

Well I for one would like to put in a good word for the decent,honest,hardworking,respectful, polite,intelligent and determined young people that WE DO have in our country as a result of the care and support given over the years by their parents,schools,colleges and universities.

We were all young once!

Reply privately

over a year ago

The youth are best taught by example.

MPs teaching them that stealing is OK as long as if your caught, you give it back, is not a good idea.(expense scandal)

Lying and omitting the truth when caught is another favourite of the very same people.

Teaching kids that you have to have the latest most fashionable items,is not what they should be doing.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Since when has the military been a democracy?! They're paid to take orders, whether they agree with them or not. Those that disagree can always leave and get another job.

It can be a bit difficult to leave when you're x,000 ft below (insert name of ocean here)"

I'm sure submariners have the basic necessary intelligence to wait until the boat is in dock.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Philip Hollobone, MP for Kettering reckons it's a runner.

He's the guy who is also arguing for facial coverings such as burkas to be banned in public."

when you live in a country you should abide by its customs and laws, so has to be a good thing.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

What a lot of people forget, is to earn respect you have to show it aswell, to many people these days demand respect because of age ect, but anyone that shows me respect will have mine in return. "

That's where it breaks down. The belief that YOU have to show ME respect before I show you it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

He's the guy who is also arguing for facial coverings such as burkas to be banned in public.

when you live in a country you should abide by its customs and laws, so has to be a good thing."

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

It can be a bit difficult to leave when you're x,000 ft below (insert name of ocean here)

I'm sure submariners have the basic necessary intelligence to wait until the boat is in dock."

The decision to refuse an order sometimes won't wait.

Reply privately

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

"I don't have a problem with my kids being obliged to serve a one year tour of compulsory civil service, as long as they are paid at least the minimum wage for their labours. There's a big difference between creating a sense of national responsibility and bare faced exploitation.

Maybe, by the same token, we should expect the same of large foreign corporations who want to come here and take advantage of our resources and favourable trading conditions - if they're willing to make a real contribution to our society then all well and good, but if they're not then they can bugger off elsewhere."

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"

What a lot of people forget, is to earn respect you have to show it aswell, to many people these days demand respect because of age ect, but anyone that shows me respect will have mine in return.

That's where it breaks down. The belief that YOU have to show ME respect before I show you it."

Too many confuse respect with good old fashioned politeness.

You don't have to respect anyone if you so feel, but there's really no need for anyone not to be polite

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

That's where it breaks down. The belief that YOU have to show ME respect before I show you it.

You don't have to respect anyone if you so feel, but there's really no need for anyone not to be polite"

I'm just talking about respecting someone as a fellow human unless or until you have reason not to.

Too often, respect is a euphemism for fear.

Reply privately

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

If it's done correctly it could be a good idea. I think that those on benefits should earn their money. There are things like picking up litter on the beaches and country side which the councils don't do so it wouldn't cost anyone their job.

As for benefits they should be capped at £20k max. If you live in council housing it should have a max of 3 beds. Child benefits should be capped at 2 or 3 children.

We have people at our school who don't work go on expensive holidays wear designer clothes and are saving for a pony. How is that right? If you don't work you should get a roof, food, water, gas and electricity and that is it. If you can afford a tv licence or a car you are getting too much...

We have peo

Reply privately

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

yeah great idea "

and this is why I don't like the flat idea as such.... because it doesn't give an incentive to those who are working...

if it was tweeked where those on job-seekers for example had to do some sort of "national community service" whilst looking for a job to get the money then I would be all for it...... would help the voluntary sector a ton...

if you have children of school age, do it when they are at school for a couple of hours.....

Reply privately

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"

You don't have to respect anyone if you so feel, but there's really no need for anyone not to be polite

I'm just talking about respecting someone as a fellow human unless or until you have reason not to.

Too often, respect is a euphemism for fear."

I understand your point, but respect today doesn't mean the same as it did when we were growing up

Reply privately

over a year ago

Stupid STUPID idea.

They let them when they did YTS and that didn't work

Reply privately

By *uud 4-funMan
over a year ago

Dartford

I'll support it if they insist that the f***in' MP's and their Whitehall Mandarins do it aswell

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

Too often, respect is a euphemism for fear.

I understand your point, but respect today doesn't mean the same as it did when we were growing up "

Agreed. In my youth, respect was the default setting. Now it seems to be 'show me why you deserve it'.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The people who think these things are good ideas always seem to be those that won't have to do it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Agreed. In my youth, respect was the default setting. Now it seems to be 'show me why you deserve it'."

And why shouldn't it be?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The people who think these things are good ideas always seem to be those that won't have to do it."

You mean the kind of people that set the minimum wage,far below the living wage.

As it will never effect them

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Agreed. In my youth, respect was the default setting. Now it seems to be 'show me why you deserve it'.

And why shouldn't it be?"

Because everyone waiting for everyone else to go first just leads to stagnation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Back in the day criminals would rather go to jail than serve their national service. Same thing would happen here with young offenders this idea is a joke,I thought we lived in the 21st century now. Also what about the many genuine young people who simply don't want to be forced to share everything with people they have zero in common with ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The people who think these things are good ideas always seem to be those that won't have to do it."

I think it is a good idea, as someone who meandered from one job to another without a definitive direction, a start in something regulated may well have been a better foundation in the world of work and careers.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"bring back national service"

FFS how old do you people sound ?

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

""bring back national service"

FFS how old do you people sound ? "

This is the brainchild of a Tory MP.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Does he have a flat cap and a walking stick ?

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

looking on the bright side if it means more 18-26yo women having access to a uniform then happy days

Reply privately

over a year ago

Of course, in no way would the invocation of national service for 18 to 26 year olds result in a sudden drop in the unemployment statistics; which could be used for positive spin on the economy and the jobless figures by the incumbent political party of the day.

Reply privately

over a year ago

As a mother of teenage boys this makes my blood run cold! I don't want my kids on foreign soil with a gun in their hand .

Lynn

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"

You don't have to respect anyone if you so feel, but there's really no need for anyone not to be polite"

Onny I think you miss quoted me, i didn't mean I demand respect from you, for me to show it back.

I just meant some people these days are quick to be disrespectful, but then expect respect in return.

I think what has been said better describes my point, good old fashion politeness.

Us younger folk have run inns with the older generation, and from my experience there is a brake down in communication over time.

A lot of older generation will approach younger folk and demand respect before it's earnt, That all i meant.

But I was brought up with good old fashion values, respect those that respect you, and be polite to those that are polite to you.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Both myself and Tracy are both ex RAF and it taught us respect for others and their property. I think this is a great idea especially if they can be taught a useful trade. "

Learning a trade is good. However surely respecting people and property is down to the individual, the schools, parents/guardian and no one else .

I believe it should only be compulsory for the people who go around hurting people, breaking the law, etc.

Reply privately

over a year ago

they can fuck off, and stop fighting for the wrong reasons for a start.I will choose when I fight,I will choose who i will defend

thats not an opinion, its a fact and will remain so

and with time travel available, I will say the same thing in WW1 and WW2...maybe even WW3

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As a mother of teenage boys this makes my blood run cold! I don't want my kids on foreign soil with a gun in their hand .

Lynn"

No, who would.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"they can fuck off, and stop fighting for the wrong reasons for a start.I will choose when I fight,I will choose who i will defend

thats not an opinion, its a fact and will remain so

and with time travel available, I will say the same thing in WW1 and WW2...maybe even WW3"

Actually I have changed my mind. The principle of it is for everyone to stand up and fight for their country. I will happily stand up and fight for my country as David Cameron is ruining it.

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Of course, in no way would the invocation of national service for 18 to 26 year olds result in a sudden drop in the unemployment statistics; which could be used for positive spin on the economy and the jobless figures by the incumbent political party of the day.

this..

listened to the MP allegedly proposing this the other day on the face covering issue..

does seem to have been born in another century..

"

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"

Onny I think you miss quoted me, i didn't mean I demand respect from you, for me to show it back.

"

I didn't mean us two. I meant any two people.

The limitations of typing on here- no italics etc, make it difficult to be clear sometimes.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"As a mother of teenage boys this makes my blood run cold! I don't want my kids on foreign soil with a gun in their hand .

Lynn"

It'd be good if more Mums had this attitude re sons running around the UK with a gun in their hand.

Reply privately

over a year ago

He's the guy who is also arguing for facial coverings such as burkas to be banned in public."

Wow, I love this guy already then! It's about time we had some kind of compulsory service military or otherwise. Hopefully it will tame some of these ferule yobs who think they are "entitled" to a life on benefits and state hand-outs.

Reply privately

over a year ago

May sound like a stupid post, but surely if everyone in their own country stood up for themselves more and refused to fight. We wouldn't have wars, people dying and getting seriously hurt. Not to mention grieving families?

Bring it back for convicts I say and let the decent people stay at home with their family.

Reply privately

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"May sound like a stupid post, but surely if everyone in their own country stood up for themselves more and refused to fight. We wouldn't have wars, people dying and getting seriously hurt. Not to mention grieving families?

Bring it back for convicts I say and let the decent people stay at home with their family."

So which is it?

Not have wars or make others fight them?

You can't have both.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"May sound like a stupid post, but surely if everyone in their own country stood up for themselves more and refused to fight. We wouldn't have wars, people dying and getting seriously hurt. Not to mention grieving families?

Bring it back for convicts I say and let the decent people stay at home with their family.

So which is it?

Not have wars or make others fight them?

You can't have both."

Well the second one is more realistic as you are expecting the whole world to do the first one. Second one is just common sense really.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Old men start wars....young men die in them"

Reply privately

over a year ago

I do worry about the way this country could be heading

Reply privately

over a year ago

Is this old chestnut doing the rounds again. It must have popped up every couple of hears since the 1960s and its been done to death. Strange its always the geriatrics pushing for it and the people who are going to have to do it who aren't keen. In reality its a total waste of money and only in the mind of the spin doctors.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I do worry about the way this country could be heading "

You have good reason to.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Is this old chestnut doing the rounds again. It must have popped up every couple of hears since the 1960s and its been done to death. Strange its always the geriatrics pushing for it and the people who are going to have to do it who aren't keen. In reality its a total waste of money and only in the mind of the spin doctors. "

I wouldnt say ur geriatric...yet..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Is this old chestnut doing the rounds again. It must have popped up every couple of hears since the 1960s and its been done to death. Strange its always the geriatrics pushing for it and the people who are going to have to do it who aren't keen. In reality its a total waste of money and only in the mind of the spin doctors.

I wouldnt say ur geriatric...yet.. "

I'm getting there but not to the point I want to stuff everyone under 25 in a uniform.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"Is this old chestnut doing the rounds again. It must have popped up every couple of hears since the 1960s and its been done to death. Strange its always the geriatrics pushing for it and the people who are going to have to do it who aren't keen. In reality its a total waste of money and only in the mind of the spin doctors.

I'm getting there but not to the point I want to stuff everyone under 25 in a uniform. "

Maybe I lost the point, to be honest not heard it in the media myself, but i thought it was more to learn the younger generation respect. I du dent realise they wanted them on the front line fighting.

My understanding was to learn the youngsters some respect by doing some hard Labour, or learning discipline from the army, not to go to war fighting without there agreement. If the younger generation want state hand outs they should earn them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm getting there but not to the point I want to stuff everyone under 25 in a uniform.

Maybe I lost the point, to be honest not heard it in the media myself, but i thought it was more to learn the younger generation respect. I du dent realise they wanted them on the front line fighting.

My understanding was to learn the youngsters some respect by doing some hard Labour, or learning discipline from the army, not to go to war fighting without there agreement. If the younger generation want state hand outs they should earn them. "

Sounds more like oldies idea of punishing the young. Lets face it its a dream and a bad one you don't need national service to force people to respect people. You might not have heard it before but respect is something that has to be earned.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

My understanding was to learn the youngsters some respect by doing some hard Labour, or learning discipline from the army, not to go to war fighting without there agreement. If the younger generation want state hand outs they should earn them.

Sounds more like oldies idea of punishing the young. Lets face it its a dream and a bad one you don't need national service to force people to respect people. You might not have heard it before but respect is something that has to be earned. "

Well if you read my above posts I said the same thing, respect gas to be earned.

The point I am now trying to make is they also need discipline, and not to be brought up thing the state owes them a living.

What is respect to the hood is out there today? They say it to each other with the clenched fist. But then end up shaging the best mates bird later. That's not respect!!

No either im sounding old before my time, or the above comment is what fab is all about, so let's let them all join fab there used to shearing

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sounds more like oldies idea of punishing the young. Lets face it its a dream and a bad one you don't need national service to force people to respect people. You might not have heard it before but respect is something that has to be earned. Well if you read my above posts I said the same thing, respect gas to be earned.

The point I am now trying to make is they also need discipline, and not to be brought up thing the state owes them a living.

What is respect to the hood is out there today? They say it to each other with the clenched fist. But then end up shaging the best mates bird later. That's not respect!!

No either im sounding old before my time, or the above comment is what fab is all about, so let's let them all join fab there used to shearing "

Can't fault the discipline idea but frankly by the time they are 16 the opportunity has been and gone. Discipline should start at school with real punishment. Military service is all a govt election spin and a poor one as it wouldn't work and would cost a fortune.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Love how these threads invariably end up bashing those on benefits from the heady heights of some peoples soapboxes. Getting boring ........ swingers non judgemental and tolerant ? Mmmm

Reply privately

over a year ago

Of course, another cynical _iew would be that after decimating the regular armed forces with swingeing cuts in personnel levels and front line troops, the best way to bolster the ranks is to have a constant, ready supply of minimum-wage workers.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well I for one would like to put in a good word for the decent,honest,hardworking,respectful, polite,intelligent and determined young people that WE DO have in our country as a result of the care and support given over the years by their parents,schools,colleges and universities.

We were all young once!"

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Sounds more like oldies idea of punishing the young. Lets face it its a dream and a bad one you don't need national service to force people to respect people. You might not have heard it before but respect is something that has to be earned. Well if you read my above posts I said the same thing, respect gas to be earned.

No either im sounding old before my time, or the above comment is what fab is all about, so let's let them all join fab there used to shearing

Can't fault the discipline idea but frankly by the time they are 16 the opportunity has been and gone. Discipline should start at school with real punishment. Military service is all a govt election spin and a poor one as it wouldn't work and would cost a fortune. "

think you have missed my point, as i also said above I was more sporting unpaid jobs in say the care sector, as someone mentioned. It was only when I realised it was referring to military, i then said but that will learn the discipline side

I don't agree we should have 16 year olds fighting front line, but we don't and never will

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can't fault the discipline idea but frankly by the time they are 16 the opportunity has been and gone. Discipline should start at school with real punishment. Military service is all a govt election spin and a poor one as it wouldn't work and would cost a fortune. think you have missed my point, as i also said above I was more sporting unpaid jobs in say the care sector, as someone mentioned. It was only when I realised it was referring to military, i then said but that will learn the discipline side

I don't agree we should have 16 year olds fighting front line, but we don't and never will "

National service of any sort costs so no point missed. Ok you say people work for free? What about housing, transportation, food, clothing etc what do you think that would cost?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Love how these threads invariably end up bashing those on benefits from the heady heights of some peoples soapboxes. Getting boring ........ swingers non judgemental and tolerant ? Mmmm "

by my calculations as we progress our society with the technical advances there will be millions more unemployed throughout the world

we cannot escape it and there has already been advances in military warfare that dont need physical human interaction(or killing as some would put it)

the whole issue is a "lets get this country right...NOW!"..and as usual, nobody actually thinks ahead to the next 10,20,50 and 100years ahead

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"Love how these threads invariably end up bashing those on benefits from the heady heights of some peoples soapboxes. Getting boring ........ swingers non judgemental and tolerant ? Mmmm "

Who is bashing the people on benefits, you have choose to read what you want to see.

There are people on benefits who are very deserving. Then we have the youth, who are mostly lazy and say they can't find jobs, when they can but don't want to work for the same amount of money you get on dole.

And I can have that opinion as i no loads who are like this, i see it every day around me.

But I get up and go to work, and before anyone asks im not some little rich kid, I come from a normal estate and still live that way, but i was brought up to have morals, respect and discipline, all of which I will be passing onto my kids

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Can't fault the discipline idea but frankly by the time they are 16 the opportunity has been and gone. Discipline should start at school with real punishment. Military service is all a govt election spin and a poor one as it wouldn't work and would cost a fortune. think you have missed my point, as i also said above I was more sporting unpaid jobs in say the care sector, as someone mentioned. It was only when I realised it was referring to military, i then said but that will learn the discipline side

I don't agree we should have 16 year olds fighting front line, but we don't and never will

National service of any sort costs so no point missed. Ok you say people work for free? What about housing, transportation, food, clothing etc what do you think that would cost? "

again read my comments above, i never said work for free, i said for the benefits they receive. So if they receive them all the items you quoted would be paid for, the same way you do when you have a job

Reply privately

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Maybe, by the same token, we should expect the same of large foreign corporations who want to come here and take advantage of our resources and favourable trading conditions - if they're willing to make a real contribution to our society then all well and good, but if they're not then they can bugger off elsewhere.

Need more people like you in power, as they don't seem to care about what we the public want "

Thanks, it's something I feel quite strongly about. All this talk of drafting our kids is nothing but a smoke screen to massage the unemployment figures and to be seen to do something about the state our fucked up system.

Perhaps if our politicians used fairness and honesty as a starting point from which to repair our society, instead of expedience and short-term profitability for a select few, then there would be no need for such a draft because young people would have been exposed to a better set of examples from the start. Add to that the fact that all the public money wasted by pandering to the greed of large corporations who grease the arses of their bought politicians could have been far better spend on our kids' education, health and prospects.

Instead, we now see those same bent politicians using the drafting of our kids as a cheap trick to make us think that they're actually doing something to sort things out - yeah right, blame the kids but for fuck's sake don't look at the real reasons!... well anybody who can see through the smoke screen can see it's all bullshit.

I have to admit, though, if I suddenly found myself in a position of absolute power I might be tempted to get a bit despotic and hold a few rounds of executions to rid this country of the most egregious bung grabbers, tax fraudsters and scroungers ... starting with the likes of Philip Green, Fred Goodwin, Bob Diamond, the Rothschilds and George Osborne...

.. death by a thousand kicks to the testicles.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry CNS is a disaster. Having served and been to war I was glad the people around me where there because they wanted to be and not because they where forced to be. We have the most professional armd forces in the world lets keep it that way.

Reply privately

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Sorry ... was I ranting just then?

Reply privately

over a year ago

National service of any sort costs so no point missed. Ok you say people work for free? What about housing, transportation, food, clothing etc what do you think that would cost? again read my comments above, i never said work for free, i said for the benefits they receive. So if they receive them all the items you quoted would be paid for, the same way you do when you have a job "

Actually you did you said “was more sporting unpaid jobs in say the care sector” now you are wanting them to travel to where ever they have to go buy meals and other ancillaries all on the benefits they get thats ASSUMEING they are already over 18 and get benefits yet you babble on about “we should have 16 year olds fighting front line”. So these 16 yr olds who are not on any sort of benefits so you couldn’t fund with offsetting that how do you propose to fund their national service? Have you actually thought out the logistics on this at all missed out your smilies before.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"Sorry CNS is a disaster. Having served and been to war I was glad the people around me where there because they wanted to be and not because they where forced to be. We have the most professional armd forces in the world lets keep it that way. "

I'm sorry but I think I have missed the point here, my understanding was get the kids to train with the army, and from that they will either earn a career out of it, and if not they would if learned some basic respect and discipline.

In my _iew I would never think of putting some spotty 16 year old lad with a gun on the front line. That will never happen no matter what anyone says

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

National service of any sort costs so no point missed. Ok you say people work for free? What about housing, transportation, food, clothing etc what do you think that would cost? again read my comments above, i never said work for free, i said for the benefits they receive. So if they receive them all the items you quoted would be paid for, the same way you do when you have a job

Actually you did you said “was more sporting unpaid jobs in say the care sector” now you are wanting them to travel to where ever they have to go buy meals and other ancillaries all on the benefits they get thats ASSUMEING they are already over 18 and get benefits yet you babble on about “we should have 16 year olds fighting front line”. So these 16 yr olds who are not on any sort of benefits so you couldn’t fund with offsetting that how do you propose to fund their national service? Have you actually thought out the logistics on this at all missed out your smilies before. "

two different points people are making here, we have the military side, and then I sort of brought the benefits side in to the equation.

When I referred to unpaid I mean no further pay to what they already receive.

Have you seen what some people are on these days, they get more money than people who are in work. And don't tell me I'm wrong I see it with my own eyes day in day out

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Sorry CNS is a disaster. Having served and been to war I was glad the people around me where there because they wanted to be and not because they where forced to be. We have the most professional armd forces in the world lets keep it that way.

I'm sorry but I think I have missed the point here, my understanding was get the kids to train with the army, and from that they will either earn a career out of it, and if not they would if learned some basic respect and discipline.

In my _iew I would never think of putting some spotty 16 year old lad with a gun on the front line. That will never happen no matter what anyone says "

Respect and discipline is that not the parents job to do ?????????????

Reply privately

over a year ago

There's a thought. Maybe to all those people who claim that can't get work because there's lack of jobs. Make them do national service. That way governments don't give them benefits and hopefully money would be put to better use and the person involved will feel better about themselves as they are earning their money. Also people would get off their backs as they wouldn't be claiming benefits.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

National service of any sort costs so no point missed. Ok you say people work for free? What about housing, transportation, food, clothing etc what do you think that would cost? again read my comments above, i never said work for free, i said for the benefits they receive. So if they receive them all the items you quoted would be paid for, the same way you do when you have a job

Actually you did you said “was more sporting unpaid jobs in say the care sector” now you are wanting them to travel to where ever they have to go buy meals and other ancillaries all on the benefits they get thats ASSUMEING they are already over 18 and get benefits yet you babble on about “we should have 16 year olds fighting front line”. So these 16 yr olds who are not on any sort of benefits so you couldn’t fund with offsetting that how do you propose to fund their national service? Have you actually thought out the logistics on this at all missed out your smilies before. "

And as fir meals ect, we was not discussing this ready to roll it out on front line you no. Things like this would have to be taking into consideration. In my opinion someone getting g job seekers allowance over a certain amount of time should be made to do unpaid work simple as.

I guess meals but fares ect woukd be taking into consideration at the time

Reply privately

over a year ago

Actually you did you said “was more sporting unpaid jobs in say the care sector” now you are wanting them to travel to where ever they have to go buy meals and other ancillaries all on the benefits they get thats ASSUMEING they are already over 18 and get benefits yet you babble on about “we should have 16 year olds fighting front line”. So these 16 yr olds who are not on any sort of benefits so you couldn’t fund with offsetting that how do you propose to fund their national service? Have you actually thought out the logistics on this at all missed out your smilies before.

two different points people are making here, we have the military side, and then I sort of brought the benefits side in to the equation.

Have you seen what some people are on these days, they get more money than people who are in work. And don't tell me I'm wrong I see it with my own eyes day in day out "

Well factually you really don't know what people are on as most of them aren't running up to you showing you they receive.

Secondly you still haven't come up with how to fund the 16-18 year olds.

I'll give you a tip. If you are going to debate adult subjects its a good idea to have facts and plausible solutions otherwise you look a bit........well less than a sharp knife in the knife block. You can resort to all the you like but it doesn't get a point across in a viable manner.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"Sorry CNS is a disaster. Having served and been to war I was glad the people around me where there because they wanted to be and not because they where forced to be. We have the most professional armd forces in the world lets keep it that way.

In my _iew I would never think of putting some spotty 16 year old lad with a gun on the front line. That will never happen no matter what anyone says

Respect and discipline is that not the parents job to do ?????????????"

Yes exactly but parents are not doing that job are they, that why little basted are running around killing anyone the feel like.

FFS this is getting boating now, anyone that comments on threads should read the whole lot, and they would in most cases answer there own question

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Have you seen what some people are on these days, they get more money than people who are in work. And don't tell me I'm wrong I see it with my own eyes day in day out

Well factually you really don't know what people are on as most of them aren't running up to you showing you they receive.

I'll give you a tip. If you are going to debate adult subjects its a good idea to have facts and plausible solutions otherwise you look a bit........well less than a sharp knife in the knife block. You can resort to all the you like but it doesn't get a point across in a viable manner. "

no i was discussing the whole idea in general, but you have come in mid way taking bits of conversations and taking them out of context to suit your argument.

We're not MP's you no, were just having a general used debate, go and ready all the questions you have put to me and then read the whole thread from top to bottom. Not just the bits you want to read.

Night all

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have 2 teenage boys and I have always said they should bring back national service. Get them ready for the big wide world.

Reply privately

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

"I have 2 teenage boys and I have always said they should bring back national service. Get them ready for the big wide world. "

As a parent of two teenage boys myself, I consider getting them ready for the big wide world to be my job.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'll give you a tip. If you are going to debate adult subjects its a good idea to have facts and plausible solutions otherwise you look a bit........well less than a sharp knife in the knife block. You can resort to all the you like but it doesn't get a point across in a viable manner. "

Some people do con the system massively. I know a family that consists of seven people. 2 parents, 2 children, 2 grandchildren and a son in law. Apart from the grandchildren obviously they are all in their mid/late 20s or older. None of them have ever worked apart from one of them who worked part time in a club for a few months and again part time in a bar for about month. That second place was 6 years after she left her first employment and she only worked those hours so she could claim benefits and cash in hand. She hasn't worked since. I know the family well and non of them have ever worked apart from one for a short space of time and what do they get.

1. A house for a couple and their child,

2. A house for a couple and their two children,

3. They all have very good mobile phones,

4. They have the full sky package in both houses in the main rooms,

5. Most of them go out regularly whether its theme parks, places like butlins/Tenby or follyfarm and clubbing to when the parents say yes to look after the child.

6. I see one or two of them wearing expensive jackets,

7. Their house is always has no improvements to make because they get grants to fix any problems.

That's all I can think of for now.

Whereas I work 6 days a week and I by the time I have bought what I need to live, go out once, maybe twice a month and pay bills. I am skint and sometimes in debt. So alot of the time people who work get less than people on benefits. On the other hand if you used to work and then you retired for ill health or some reason. You will get a lot less than a normal person on benefits as the government are so used to using your funds. They will carry on taking it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

I'll give you a tip. If you are going to debate adult subjects its a good idea to have facts and plausible solutions otherwise you look a bit........well less than a sharp knife in the knife block. You can resort to all the you like but it doesn't get a point across in a viable manner. no i was discussing the whole idea in general, but you have come in mid way taking bits of conversations and taking them out of context to suit your argument.

We're not MP's you no, were just having a general used debate, go and ready all the questions you have put to me and then read the whole thread from top to bottom. Not just the bits you want to read.

Night all "

And I think the confusion as come from me a bit, trying to have two different debates on one subject. So partly my fault, but you should always read whole thread and not just bits half way down

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

I'll give you a tip. If you are going to debate adult subjects its a good idea to have facts and plausible solutions otherwise you look a bit........well less than a sharp knife in the knife block. You can resort to all the you like but it doesn't get a point across in a viable manner.

Some people do con the system massively. I know a family that consists of seven people. 2 parents, 2 children, 2 grandchildren and a son in law. Apart from the grandchildren obviously they are all in their mid/late 20s or older. None of them have ever worked apart from one of them who worked part time in a club for a few months and again part time in a bar for about month. That second place was 6 years after she left her first employment and she only worked those hours so she could claim benefits and cash in hand. She hasn't worked since. I know the family well and non of them have ever worked apart from one for a short space of time and what do they get.

5. Most of them go out regularly whether its theme parks, places like butlins/Tenby or follyfarm and clubbing to when the parents say yes to look after the child.

7. Their house is always has no improvements to make because they get grants to fix any problems.

Whereas I work 6 days a week and I by the time I have bought what I need to live, go out once, maybe twice a month and pay bills. I am skint and sometimes in debt. So alot of the time people who work get less than people on benefits. On the other hand if you used to work and then you retired for ill health or some reason. You will get a lot less than a normal person on benefits as the government are so used to using your funds. They will carry on taking it.

"

Can't agree more, this is the main reason the country is a shit hole, government need to sort this problem out before anything else

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can't agree more, this is the main reason the country is a shit hole, government need to sort this problem out before anything else "

That's why i said in another thread. "Although I wouldnt love to fight for my country as I hate wars, etc. I would only fight for my country if that means fighting David Cameron as he's the one ruining my country". I am using his own law against him

Reply privately

over a year ago

This country isn't a shit hole. There are a few parts that warrant that title but that's due to the people that live in them who blame all their woes on the Government and take fuck all responsibility for making the changes they complain about.

Reply privately

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

What's wrong with some of you people? Not all youngsters are undisciplined, feral scroungers. A 'one size solution' will NOT fit all.

I wouldn't want my daughter doing CNS. End of.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Save the fighting for the ballet boxes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'll give you a tip. If you are going to debate adult subjects its a good idea to have facts and plausible solutions otherwise you look a bit........well less than a sharp knife in the knife block. You can resort to all the you like but it doesn't get a point across in a viable manner. no i was discussing the whole idea in general, but you have come in mid way taking bits of conversations and taking them out of context to suit your argument.

Night all "

I know you're not mp's, what a general used debate is who knows, I have read the thread and its your remarks that were nonsensical and wide of the mark but reading no instead of know let me realise all I needed to know and appreciate why you were unable to answer points made against your argument. You do though have to grasp the concept that projects like this are not really going to be offset against benefits currently paid. The reality is it would be expensive to implement as anyone who has had extensive training would realise.

Reply privately

over a year ago

To be fair they're already wasting a shit load of cash on the NCS (National Citizenship Service).

Reply privately

over a year ago

"To be fair they're already wasting a shit load of cash on the NCS (National Citizenship Service)."

They are amongst other things and this seems like a pile of tosh too and huge waste the money would be far better invested in quality training.

Reply privately

over a year ago

yeah great idea "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"What's wrong with some of you people? Not all youngsters are undisciplined, feral scroungers. A 'one size solution' will NOT fit all.

I wouldn't want my daughter doing CNS. End of."

Nor my son!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"What's wrong with some of you people? Not all youngsters are undisciplined, feral scroungers. A 'one size solution' will NOT fit all.

Emma and zed can't agree with you more, im a youngster (well im only 28 so i hope so) I don't think all of them are bad, but you have to admit it's a lot worse when we was kids.

I have two young daughters who i would not want to do this CNS, but i would like to think mine will be brought up with enough respect and discipline, probably just like your self.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think we should get steven segal to sort everyone out

slap

slap

slap

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Night all

I know you're not mp's, what a general used debate is who knows, I have read the thread and its your remarks that were nonsensical and wide of the mark but reading no instead of know let me realise all I needed to know and appreciate why you were unable to answer points made against your argument. You do though have to grasp the concept that projects like this are not really going to be offset against benefits currently paid. The reality is it would be expensive to implement as anyone who has had extensive training would realise. "

Look I have problems with my spelling/grammar, and have had this before on threads. You just showing yourself as the lesser person, resulting to try and lower me because of my problem. A few people on these threads have done this, which as led me to retaliate with personal remarks back, but i have learnt from this now. Yes I do have a short fuse, but you just keep on throwing remarks at me that's fine with me.

I see your the only one having a go nobody else is, because the rest of us was having a general debate, and no nasty comments was made until now.

So at this point I will refer to my above comment, were i said i may of mixed thing up a little by having two different discussions on one thread, and i was sorry for that. So I will end our discussion there.

Take care.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"I think we should get steven segal to sort everyone out

slap

slap

slap"

Hey don't bring the one and only Steven Segal it to this, he us one if my favorite actors

Reply privately

over a year ago

people keep saying things were better in the past(-by my thinking they are referring to the 80's), hop in ur time machine and I'm absolutely 100% sure u'd hop back in rather quickly.

compulsory parenting classes will sort out future generations respect for others and respect for authority

and to be honest, I've seen the negative side of "I was in the army" types plenty of time throughout my life...it never made them better people..it just made them into wannabe hardman fuckwits (my dad was a soldier, so that was a positive for me), the one click solution option really does show peoples mentality for fixing this country really quick and knowing fuck all about planning and responsibility as well as respecting the diversity of youth

Reply privately

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

Emma and zed can't agree with you more, im a youngster (well im only 28 so i hope so) I don't think all of them are bad, but you have to admit it's a lot worse when we was kids.

I have two young daughters who i would not want to do this CNS, but i would like to think mine will be brought up with enough respect and discipline, probably just like your self. "

I work with teenagers so I know there are both good and bad - just like in every age group in society. But I can't agree with a scheme that proposes pushing ALL youngsters through some kind of social mincing machine and expecting them to all turn out the same - they won't. And that's because they're individuals with different circumstances and personalities. Nothing will change that.

All four of my daughters were brought up to show empathy and respect to others - none of them would have required further lessons from the army in how to be decent members of society.

And before anyone accuses me of being anti armed forces, one of my daughters joined up voluntarily when she left school ... they key word being voluntarily. And three of them were in various cadet forces as teenagers.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

I have two young daughters who i would not want to do this CNS, but i would like to think mine will be brought up with enough respect and discipline, probably just like your self.

I work with teenagers so I know there are both good and bad - just like in every age group in society. But I can't agree with a scheme that proposes pushing ALL youngsters through some kind of social mincing machine and expecting them to all turn out the same - they won't. And that's because they're individuals with different circumstances and personalities. Nothing will change that.

All four of my daughters were brought up to show empathy and respect to others - none of them would have required further lessons from the army in how to be decent members of society.

And before anyone accuses me of being anti armed forces, one of my daughters joined up voluntarily when she left school ... they key word being voluntarily. And three of them were in various cadet forces as teenagers.

"

Just goes to show your a decent parent bringing your kids up with respect.

Fir me i admit don't no what the answer is for todays youth, but we have to agree something has gone wrong with this generation, and if we don't try to take hold now future generations will follow.

The youth of today will run our country one day.

Is it just me or are all parents on fab respectable, might have something to do with our laid back open mindness

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly.

Who's kids are we talking about? Hmmmm?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Both myself and Tracy are both ex RAF and it taught us respect for others and their property. I think this is a great idea especially if they can be taught a useful trade. "

Did you need to be taught this? Wasn't your childhood and upbringing enough?

What kind of useful 'trade' would you have people learn.

Love the sweeping assumption that all young people need a lesson learning in their lives.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Fir me i admit don't no what the answer is for todays youth, but we have to agree something has gone wrong with this generation, and if we don't try to take hold now future generations will follow.

Is it just me or are all parents on fab respectable, might have something to do with our laid back open mindness "

Sorry, what exactly is it that's gone wrong?

As in practically every generation, there is a rebellious element and a predominantly passive, well ordered element

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Is it just me or are all parents on fab respectable, might have something to do with our laid back open mindness

As in practically every generation, there is a rebellious element and a predominantly passive, well ordered element

"

Are u being serious?? Have you been outside lately.

Kids are killing each other raping each other and whatever else.

Yes in ever generation we had rebellious youth, but never has bad as today.

I am really shocked you think the youth of today are no worse than past generations.

I'm young myself and even I agree on this point.

When I was a kid you was a master criminal if you stole a couple packs if sweets from your local shop. Now days there robbing the tills from shops.

Remember back in the say we thought with our fists? Well in case you gave not noticed there shooting each other now.

And I quote again I no not all are like this, i volunteer for Childline, because I believe in the youth of today and I believe with help we can change it before it's to late.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I am really shocked you think the youth of today are no worse than past generations.

When I was a kid you was a master criminal if you stole a couple packs if sweets from your local shop. Now days there robbing the tills from shops.

Remember back in the say we thought with our fists? Well in case you gave not noticed there shooting each other now.

And I quote again I no not all are like this, i volunteer for Childline, because I believe in the youth of today and I believe with help we can change it before it's to late.

"

This person speaks a lot of sense. Reason why kids have no respect these days as there's no discipline for anyone nowadays. Due to laws that have come and maybe that has something to do with it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This person speaks a lot of sense. Reason why kids have no respect these days as there's no discipline for anyone nowadays. Due to laws that have come and maybe that has something to do with it."

so teach them discipline and respect when they turn 18...now thats the crux of the post isnt it???????

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

This person speaks a lot of sense. Reason why kids have no respect these days as there's no discipline for anyone nowadays. Due to laws that have come and maybe that has something to do with it."

Why thank you

But as I said unless we all get behind the youth in some way they will become a lost cause, and i for one don't want that.

No like u said i don't have the answer, I think all this CNS is clutching at straws but what else can we do now, we have to try something

Reply privately

over a year ago

I remember police being utter arseholes when I was young, I remember teachers being utter arseholes when I was young

not all but some

thank fuck we are now allowed to protect ourselves from those that abuse their authority

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

This person speaks a lot of sense. Reason why kids have no respect these days as there's no discipline for anyone nowadays. Due to laws that have come and maybe that has something to do with it.

so teach them discipline and respect when they turn 18...now thats the crux of the post isnt it???????"

No parents should be doing that at an early age, but there not is lots of cases and that's why we are having this problem.

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

"I remember police being utter arseholes when I was young, I remember teachers being utter arseholes when I was young

not all but some

thank fuck we are now allowed to protect ourselves from those that abuse their authority"

Can't agree more about the teachers, they failed me and that's why I'm so keen to see thing change for today's youth.

As for the police, i don't have a bad word to say about them, and that's something coming from a liverpool person

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think it's a great idea. I served six years in the army from the age of Sixteen and they taught me domestic basics, discipline and respect. Plus they got me in the best shape of my life and I have seen a lot of this planet

Reply privately

over a year ago

liverpool

Right guys really got to get to bed now, got to be up at 7am, enjoyed this topic though something close to my heart.

Reply privately

over a year ago

*dont wanna build up a huge quote:

the reference to things going wrong in our society stemming from essentially authorities that allowed certain behaviours to go unchallenged legally

so we have a few that needed a kick up the arse didnt we?

the military

education

police

health service

the list goes on

so in reference to children being taught by teachers, one may argue they have lost the power to punish children with physical force

and thank fucking fuck for that,I wouldnt be far away from a teachers door if I had kids and they had been smacked/caned/beat up

back when the world was great in the eighties I witnessed violence,racism,sexism,homophobia

yeahh things were great in the past....

Reply privately

over a year ago

Why thank you

But as I said unless we all get behind the youth in some way they will become a lost cause, and i for one don't want that.

No like u said i don't have the answer, I think all this CNS is clutching at straws but what else can we do now, we have to try something "

That's why I suggested bringing back corporate punishments in schools. Let parents discipline their children as at the end of the day. Its not up to society, the government to teach a child things. Its the parents and schools and start them at a very early age. Teaching them what's right and wrong, etc. The government is just stupid as they stop parents parenting and when the child does anything wrong they introduce some stupid scheme. Ok if they did it for the baduns fair enough, but why everyone . If they bring back tougher punishments, let parents use discipline on their own child. Life would be much easier to live. Personally I don't see why they don't do this.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Sorry for sounding ignorant but what happens if your kids are at uni ? Are they taken out to do this x

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Does that mean 18-26 year olds in full time employment/education have to jack in their jobs/study to work for nothing? Also, who's going to pay for the childcare (£1,500 a month in London) for those with kids?

Sounds like a brilliant idea!

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

yeah great idea "

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Did you know they were loonies from the idea or did you have to check that Philip Hollobone is a Tory?

Save that horrible woman from swanning round the world and writing books,while being paid to do a job she either isnt doing or doing very little at. "

That's what I struggle with. Will mortgage companies, utilities, landlords waiver payment whilst your doing national service?

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"How about making it compulsary and a condition of qualifying for future benefits?

To true I have always said this, if you want to claim benefits then should have to work for them, cleaning streets any public sector to save on costs. "

So, those 18-26 year olds, already working, paying taxes, owning their own homes will lose their jobs and homes in order to do national service to get benefits they wouldn't have needed as they were working?!!

Absolute genius!

Reply privately

By *obbygggMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Save that horrible woman from swanning round the world and writing books,while being paid to do a job she either isnt doing or doing very little at.

That's what I struggle with. Will mortgage companies, utilities, landlords waiver payment whilst your doing national service?"

Purely guesswork but I imagine that this Bill if it ever gets through after many amendments would contain provisions for excepting those already in work and commitments and only be aimed at those reaching the age of 26 without having ever worked and no real prospects of doing so.

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"The people who think these things are good ideas always seem to be those that won't have to do it.

I think it is a good idea, as someone who meandered from one job to another without a definitive direction, a start in something regulated may well have been a better foundation in the world of work and careers. "

Not everyone is like you, that's the point. My girls left uni with good degrees and straight into jobs. My eldest is married, my middle daughter is saving for her deposit so still at home. Her father and I will contribute two thirds of that. My youngest is working towards her PhD.

This madness will only affect my youngest but why should those motivated and self efficient be penalised because of the fickle, lazy and incompetent?

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Can't fault the discipline idea but frankly by the time they are 16 the opportunity has been and gone. Discipline should start at school with real punishment. Military service is all a govt election spin and a poor one as it wouldn't work and would cost a fortune. "

Wrong! Discipline should NOT start at school, it should start at the teat!

Parents should stop trying to be bessie mates with their kids, stop deferring to them as equals, set boundaries and stick to them!

I gave a one time speech to my girls. In a nutshell they were informed democracy started outside my property line. What I said goes, they could ask for clarification but no discussion. If they didn't agree with anything I said they were not being held hostage, they were free to go, kindly leave my keys when going.

They are still here.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Great!! Even more young upstarts who think they know it all!!

Guarantee most girls doing it will be pregnant in a week!! Lol

Reply privately

over a year ago

Advocating dishing out beatings to children is nothing to do with respect - it's fear.

If they're going to do it I think it should be extended to all adults. Let's see how happy people are to do their bit then...

It might have a knock on benefit of helping parents instil all those values bemoaned above!

Reply privately

By *obbygggMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Advocating dishing out beatings to children is nothing to do with respect - it's fear.

If they're going to do it I think it should be extended to all adults. Let's see how happy people are to do their bit then...

It might have a knock on benefit of helping parents instil all those values bemoaned above!"

BEATINGS???!!! Who the hell mentioned beatings?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Corporal punishment - it's hidden among the infinite amount of dribble written above

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Corporal punishment - it's hidden among the infinite amount of dribble written above"

It's nothing more than some gentle persuasion

Reply privately

By *obbygggMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Oh I see. How dramatic.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Oh I see. How dramatic. "

lol at the camp smiley reaction

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you read the early part if the thread it has posts clearly bashing the benefits drum. Do not be presumptuous and tell me I am seeing what I want to when it is clearly in the thread. I went to uni at 17 worked from 16 was a manager at 22 worked all my life but needed benefits recently. Now i work 50 hours a week on minimum wage rather than benefits. Its boring guys. Benefit bashing is boring.

Reply privately