Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dorset

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Right guys i want to pick your brains for local knowlege, being a single mum i want to take my little girl camping in the summer and want to get it right, camping isnt the problem as done it loads of times ( behave lol ) but want to get location right, want to head for dorset, beaches etc so can anyone recommend a nice camp site that has a pool. etc. I am thinking of near the new forest.

thankin you in advance xx

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *andKCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Drove through dorset yesterday - waas raining

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If you have a car, then I would strongly recommend Birchwood Tourist Park near Wereham Forest.

I went there on my own last Sep 09. It is next to the forest, and only a short distance away from Swanage, a quaint seaside town.

The toilet and shower blocks are very well maintained, and there is a good size playground for kids.

The only issue I have with Birchwood is that it does not have very good mobile reception for Orange, and no mobile broadband to speak of. And there is no WiFi! The owners like it that way, away from it all etc...

There is a larger camping just up the road, with more facilities, and WiFi I believe, which is worth checking out.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

over a year ago

Noooooo lol its going to be brilliant sunshine and lots of fun lol - hopefully

over a year ago

Oops, Birchwood does not have a pool, sorry, however, the one up the road does, and I'll look up the name for you in a mo.

If you can travel further down to South Devon, then I would strongly recommend Cofton Country Holiday Park in Starcross near Dawlish.

I went there for the New Year weekend, and it was lovely, even when the majority of the facilities like the pool, pub, fish and chips etc. were all closed for the season.

It is very close to the Dawlish Warren beaches.

I plan to go back there this year, probably either in Jun or Sep 10 as it was so nice even in the winter!

over a year ago

The big campsite with lots of facilities including a pool near Birchwood Tourist Park is Wareham Forest Tourist Park!

I may go there this year!

over a year ago

Thanks chic, i will give dawlish a miss as its too close to home and the ex hubby lol

will look up the other one - thanks xx

By *ornyandnymphoCouple
over a year ago

poole

You can try portview, on matchams lane [hurn in dorset] or oakdene. or dorset touist board can help. Tons of campsites. Good luck, enjoy your stay.

We have a lawn and a paddling pool lol xx

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

burnBake campsite is FANTASTIC for families.

It not got a pool BUT what it does have is very large grounds, its way off the road so the kids can charge around and play with no worries of traffic.

there is a tyre swing.

Plenty of forest.

Yuo can even collect wood and have campfires - which alot of campsites dont allow.

Its close to Korfe Castle, Monkey World, Swanage, Beaches etc - so LOADS to do.

Lots of National Trust sites dotted about too.

Doubt very much it has Wifi/internet tho - but then if you going camping surely you wont be needing that as a facility????

If you want internet cafe the nearest village got one (well at least one, lol).

Have stayed in various places in Dorset - and one of the best sites i have found for ratings it ukcampsite. co. uk

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

just an idea like, lolxxx

over a year ago

Thanks guys will defo check them all out, and if any other single mum,s or dads lol fancy a camping holiday give me a shout, Well some one has to hammer the ground pegs in hard lol

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

You`ve been given some pretty good info so far. Not got the names of any specific campsites, but think of this:-

New Forest sites are fine if you have a car, but you will need it to get to any of the local attractions, which are sadly quite few given the popularity of the area. Apart from the Brockenhurst area, the Forest isn`t exactly brimming with public transport.It`s going to be a good 5+ mile hike to the nearest beach which apart from Bournemouth which gets packed out at an early hour, there isn`t many good beaches.

The Purbecks are a better bet. Accessable by rail and bus, there are many small campsites that spring up at the start of the season in the area between Wareham and Swanage. You also have the preserved Swanage Railway to travel on, an adventure farm near Swanage plus other distractions close by including Monkey World and the nearby Tank Museum. Poole and Bournemouth are a quick ride on the Studland chain ferry away and so is Sandbanks beach where John Lennon`s Aunt Mimi had her house. Also back on the Purbecks, you have the ruins of the castle at Corfe Castle with a model village too. Remember there is a part of Studland beach designated as a naturist area, so be prepared to explain should you stray into it! It is apparently clearly marked.

If you like, give me a few days and I`ll come up with the names of some campsites in the area as I go to the area for work frequently.

The Purbecks

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

Forgot to add - if anyone goes to the Purbecks, you can save loads of dosh by becoming a member of the Nazi - sorry, National Trust. By doing this you can use their car parks for free, get into their properties cheaper or even free! One of my workmates is a member solely so he use the car park at Studland free as his children don`t like any of the other beaches in the area.

By *obletonMan
over a year ago

A Home Among The Woodland Creatures

"Drove through dorset yesterday - waas raining "

I grew up there - it was closed most of the time

over a year ago

I will have the car as we are camping and its only me and my little un, so we are pretty much open, but a good beach is main priority as i like to worship the sun god lol and as long as she has a bucket and spade she is as happy as a swinger in a gang bang.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

"I will have the car as we are camping and its only me and my little un, so we are pretty much open, but a good beach is main priority as i like to worship the sun god lol and as long as she has a bucket and spade she is as happy as a swinger in a gang bang."

Don`t forget, this holiday will be as much for you as it will be for your daughter. One other thing about some of the campsites east of Wareham is that a lot are on working farms. This does mean you will get all of the "healthy smells" but your daughter may like to get close to the animals too - free entertaainment onsite! Also, check out the Putlake Adventure Farm at Langton Matravers. The beach at Swanage whilst smaller is much less busy than Bournemouth or Sandbanks.

over a year ago

I remember this thread-

Post new Message to Thread