Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Manners

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is it just me or does anyone else think that good manners / politeness have all but disappeared?

I'm not perfect but I always say please & thank you etc, hold doors open for people, most of which just ignore you & you don't get a thank you from.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Is it just me or does anyone else think that good manners / politeness have all but disappeared?

I'm not perfect but I always say please & thank you etc, hold doors open for people, most of which just ignore you & you don't get a thank you from. "

No its just you there are thousands if not millions of polite people out there who still do thinks like hold doors open and other small things without expecting anything back.

over a year ago

I didn't say I was expecting anything back, but if someone gives you way or let's you by a little thank you doesn't go a miss, instead of just looking at you like they've trod on you

over a year ago

"Is it just me or does anyone else think that good manners / politeness have all but disappeared?

I'm not perfect but I always say please & thank you etc, hold doors open for people, most of which just ignore you & you don't get a thank you from. "

i'm inclined to agree with you on this one! Not saying everyone has not got manners but in my own experience there seem to be more with no manners than with these days!

Billy

over a year ago

"I didn't say I was expecting anything back, but if someone gives you way or let's you by a little thank you doesn't go a miss, instead of just looking at you like they've trod on you"

Its all perspective the person who the door was opened for might have though the door opener was leching or had another motive. In reality if you open a door or similar you shouldn't expect a response if you do then best not do it in the first place.

over a year ago

Jesus , I don't go round opening doors for people & waiting for their responses in my spare time !!!

Opening doors was just an example,

over a year ago

"I didn't say I was expecting anything back, but if someone gives you way or let's you by a little thank you doesn't go a miss, instead of just looking at you like they've trod on you

Its all perspective the person who the door was opened for might have though the door opener was leching or had another motive. In reality if you open a door or similar you shouldn't expect a response if you do then best not do it in the first place. "

utter drivel, if you do someone a good turn, then a simple thank you is what is to be expected and only good manners back.

over a year ago

Guys still do I always smile back when they are polite.

over a year ago

"I didn't say I was expecting anything back, but if someone gives you way or let's you by a little thank you doesn't go a miss, instead of just looking at you like they've trod on you

Its all perspective the person who the door was opened for might have though the door opener was leching or had another motive. In reality if you open a door or similar you shouldn't expect a response if you do then best not do it in the first place. "

I would never ever think this, I would always say thank you if a guy opened a door to me.

over a year ago

Yes people seem to have a lack of manners. I always let people through the door before me when coming the opposite way. Just done it earlier and let 5 adults through and a few kids with bikes round at the school. Not one of them even acknowledged I was there never mind a thank you.

It does anger me sometimes and will say thanks quite loud to them once they have gone through. It doesn't change anything but It makes me feel better anyway

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

behave how you feel is appropriate bu dont expect others to do the same. everyone has their own standards of behavior.

I am a polite person but when someone doesn't return an acknowledgement i just smile wryly to myself and say you are welcome (if they are in earshot)

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

a thanks or ta as you walk past isn't going to break the bank of civility.

I always thank people who hold doors open for me, always thank the bus driver as I get off at my stop.

I have, in the past, held doors open for others and got nothing in return. A loud "your welcome" is first thing that comes out my mouth.

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

On a slightly different tack.. I find a lack of manners in someone when leaving a building and stopping in the doorway blocking people behind.

over a year ago

I wasn't just on about doors I used it as an example.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

When I have held open a door for a family/group of people and not one has had the common courtesy to acknowledge the fact, I have let the door shut in the face of the last one who was texting and he walked straight into the glass

over a year ago

Good manners is the glue that holds society together

Those who believe manners are irrelevant are the chisels prising society apart

(so thinks I)

over a year ago

I agree with most of what you said. Will it change the way you behave? If not just carry on as you are and leave the ignorant ones to it.

over a year ago

"

Fuxk that.

By *G CoupleCouple
over a year ago

kent

Imo manners cost nothing

If you don't expect to be thanked for a good deed then you won't be disappointed. Sad but that's life.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

No - still a lot of manners out there. But it is easier to notice when people AREN'T doing it so it may seem like no one bothers any more.

Post new Message to Thread