Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

words in capitals

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So many people take words in capitals as shouting..

Look at it from this view point..

this site has no way of changing the font or using a highlighter pen. So the only way to make an important piece of info on your profile is to put it in capitald..

so next time you see cspitals read it as if that is important to the person and they want it to stand out rather than the person shouting..

you may see the profile in a different light

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

That was meant to say to make the info stand out is to put it in cspitals

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I admit that is a huge bug bear of mine not just in profiles but in forums as well.

Hangs head in shame and backs out quickly

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

It just comes across as ranty to me. I want to tell them not to take the site so seriously.

over a year ago

"So many people take words in capitals as shouting..

this site has no way of changing the font or using a highlighter pen. So the only way to make an important piece of info on your profile is to put it in capitald..

so next time you see cspitals read it as if that is important to the person and they want it to stand out rather than the person shouting..

you may see the profile in a different light "

I can see your point it would be good if we could highlight or underline important bits I guess the only way you can do it is with capitals currently.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I do it sometimes - IF - I want a certain word to be emphasised ....

over a year ago

"It just comes across as ranty to me. I want to tell them not to take the site so seriously."

but their not if you just see it as highlighting

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

In some cases QUITE A LOT OF THE PROFILE IS IN capitals

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

In the absence of a highlighting facility using capitals in the right context is necessary.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"I do it sometimes - IF - I want a certain word to be emphasised .... "

I've got 4 words in my long profile in caps, use it as emphasis as Granny sez.

The profiles I zoom past at the speed of light are the shouty ones...for example:

NO BLACKS/MINGERS/JEWS/NORTHERN CONSERVATIVE GREAT LAKES REGION BAPTIST/BAREBACKERS/TIME WASTERS/BBW/SMALL COCKS (no offence, just my preference, smiley face)

I can tell the difference between a profile that emphasises a few words and one that yells in my phizzog - if we had italics or different font colours I bet someone would see their arse about others using them for whatever reason

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I agree about context but when I whole profile or post is in CAPS and then reads in a ranty way I think it's a rant.

over a year ago

I did that once was told motto shout

over a year ago

"I did that once was told motto shout "
"not to" damn text

over a year ago

"I do it sometimes - IF - I want a certain word to be emphasised ....

The profiles I zoom past at the speed of light are the shouty ones...for example:

NO BLACKS/MINGERS/JEWS/NORTHERN CONSERVATIVE GREAT LAKES REGION BAPTIST/BAREBACKERS/TIME WASTERS/BBW/SMALL COCKS (no offence, just my preference, smiley face)

I can tell the difference between a profile that emphasises a few words and one that yells in my phizzog - if we had italics or different font colours I bet someone would see their arse about others using them for whatever reason

"

i see your example as highlighting what they dont want. So if someone only skims over whats written then the capitals will catch their eye and if they fall in the catergories then they should know not to message.

saying what you dont want is hardly ranting

By *obbygggMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"

Have you an example of that?Thought not.

over a year ago

Im not saying there isnt shouting and ranting.

but to me it would be

OK IVE HAD ENOUGH OF COUPLES MESSAGING ME AND THE WOMAN ISNT AVAILSBLE. YOU WILL BE BLOCKED. IF YOUR A SINGLE GUY BE HONEST FFS

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

i see your example as highlighting what they dont want. So if someone only skims over whats written then the capitals will catch their eye and if they fall in the catergories then they should know not to message.

saying what you dont want is hardly ranting"

I didn't mention ranting...your opinion is that it's highlighting what they don't want, mine is that they're yelling in my face. Both are valid opinions and will help each of us decide whether we may want to contact or respond to a message

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Have you an example of that?Thought not."

I've several examples of similar on my block list, it's against the rules to post names on the forum...also, if you're going to ask for examples, allow time for me to respond before deciding I can't

over a year ago

"Im not saying there isnt shouting and ranting.

but to me it would be

OK IVE HAD ENOUGH OF COUPLES MESSAGING ME AND THE WOMAN ISNT AVAILSBLE. YOU WILL BE BLOCKED. IF YOUR A SINGLE GUY BE HONEST FFS"

I'd understand why you'd be cross but that's a rant. And Ffs is the ultimate rant comment.

If people don't read the polite profile text, I doubt they will read the ranty bits and you'll probably put off the genuine sorts too.

Ranty is not attractive. OKAY ?

By *ark Gr8 Teddy BearMan
over a year ago

Wigan

WHAT?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"...........

Ranty is not attractive. OKAY ? "

Agreed, but it can be VERY informative

over a year ago

but to me it would be

OK IVE HAD ENOUGH OF COUPLES MESSAGING ME AND THE WOMAN ISNT AVAILSBLE. YOU WILL BE BLOCKED. IF YOUR A SINGLE GUY BE HONEST FFS

I'd understand why you'd be cross but that's a rant. And Ffs is the ultimate rant comment.

If people don't read the polite profile text, I doubt they will read the ranty bits and you'll probably put off the genuine sorts too.

Ranty is not attractive. OKAY ? "

im not cross

just highlighting or shouting as some people see it

either way capitals are important bits the person wants to be read.

unless its ranty then i dont see any need to take offence to it

over a year ago

but to me it would be

im not cross

unless its ranty then i dont see any need to take offence to it"

Ffs makes it sounds cross....though that's just me

over a year ago

but to me it would be

im not cross

unless its ranty then i dont see any need to take offence to it

Ffs makes it sounds cross....though that's just me "

im not sure we are talking about thevsame thing here

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"So many people take words in capitals as shouting..

you may see the profile in a different light "

I can differentiate between shouting and emphasis ie there's a difference between "I will NOT meet married men" and "I WILL NOT MEET MARRIED MEN!!!"

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

I think that this, like a lot of netiquette, comes from the days of usenet (newsgroups) where people would put the title of a post in caps to make it stand out, next thing you know everyone was at it and you had pages of post titles in caps that made it hard to read. Personally I just don't read the shouty bits As said above, there is a big difference between ONE emphasized word and A WHOLE WALL OF CAPITAL LETTERS.

By *odareyouMan
over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I wrote this in London does that count,?

over a year ago

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!

Post new Message to Thread