Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Intelligence ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How do you define intelligence ? Only asking due to the number of threads on spelling and grammar. As a lot of people seem to use this a a gauge. We feel that a lot of factors make an intelligent person not all academic.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The type of people i like to meet who i have considered inteligent have worked in offices, i judge people on how inteligent they are by the things they say, i have met a few doctors who i thought were pretty stupid though.

they may be inteligent in some ways but not in others.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

People with common sense....you can meet some highly intelligent people who lack common sense but then you can meet uneducated people who lack common sense...

over a year ago

I think true intelligence can only be attributed to those who find their key to contentment....

over a year ago

Intelligence is only of any value if it's linked to wisdom...

On it's own it can become quite boring.

I just wish that I could meet someone with a measure of each!

over a year ago

"How do you define intelligence ? Only asking due to the number of threads on spelling and grammar. As a lot of people seem to use this a a gauge. We feel that a lot of factors make an intelligent person not all academic. "

Not that I claim to be an expert on this or anything. After thinking for a minute I would say being able to form a fresh and insightful view on a given subject without prior knowledge of that subject would be a definate sign of active intelligence to me. But then again I'm thick as s**t so just ignore me :P

over a year ago

I think its a mix of both even if you have common sense if your illiterate then your not really intelligent and before people start screaming dyslexia at me i have a dyslexic daughter who isn't illiterate, dyslexia don't equal illiteracy

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Lots of very successful people, including Einstein are/were dyslexic so spelling and grammar for me have very little importance.

I don't ask pore for copies of the exam grades when I make friends with them. I talk to them, find out what they are like. Intelligence doesn't mean someone is better than someone else. It just means they are good at repeating stuff other people said.

over a year ago

Why would you care about intelligence anyway, if you like someone you like them, what does it matter how intelligent they are?

would you really base friendship on this?

over a year ago

"People with common sense....you can meet some highly intelligent people who lack common sense but then you can meet uneducated people who lack common sense... "

Agreed, you need common sense and intelligence which have nothing to do with how people use grammar or how they spell and as the saying goes, there is a fine line between intelligence and madness (so be warned

over a year ago

"I think its a mix of both even if you have common sense if your illiterate then your not really intelligent and before people start screaming dyslexia at me i have a dyslexic daughter who isn't illiterate, dyslexia don't equal illiteracy "

I don't get this so called "dyslexia" at all..

I mean think about it right, us so called normal/regular people who are just about able to cope with standard education and society call people that find even moderate difficulty in spelling/maths/reading etc "dyslexic".

Yet to all the more highly intelligent and capable people than we are, we're no more capable to them as so called "dyslexic" people are to us.

For example I can read/write/do math perectly but advanced logic and reason infront of me and I literally wouldn't even be able to begin it.

So for this reason and more I remain suspicious to this "dyslexic" branding of people..

over a year ago

"Why would you care about intelligence anyway, if you like someone you like them, what does it matter how intelligent they are?

would you really base friendship on this?"

I think it's about probability. I'm more likely to get on with intelligent people. However it wouldn't exclude less intelligent people from my social circle.

However genuinely unintelligent people hold absolutely no interest for me. Brain for me is sexiest part of the body.

over a year ago

evesham

"I think its a mix of both even if you have common sense if your illiterate then your not really intelligent and before people start screaming dyslexia at me i have a dyslexic daughter who isn't illiterate, dyslexia don't equal illiteracy

I mean think about it right, us so called normal/regular people who are just about able to cope with standard education and society call people that find even moderate difficulty in spelling/maths/reading etc "dyslexic".

Yet to all the more highly intelligent and capable people than we are, we're no more capable to them as so called "dyslexic" people are to us.

For example I can read/write/do math perectly but advanced logic and reason infront of me and I literally wouldn't even be able to begin it.

So for this reason and more I remain suspicious to this "dyslexic" branding of people.. "

Back to the 1950s for you lol

Dyslexia is a genuine thing but I do think that some people use it as an excuse and so the Real issue is watered down.

As NN says it doesn't mean you have to be illiterate if you have it providing you have good support and fund ways and means to help you overcome it. Some people find out their child is dyslexic and breathe a sigh of relief because now there is a reason their child can't spell etc and so stop trying to help them.

As fir Yuri argument about advanced logic. That is poppycock.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 07/09/13 10:23:24]

over a year ago

Back to the 1950s for you lol

Dyslexia is a genuine thing but I do think that some people use it as an excuse and so the Real issue is watered down.

As NN says it doesn't mean you have to be illiterate if you have it providing you have good support and fund ways and means to help you overcome it. Some people find out their child is dyslexic and breathe a sigh of relief because now there is a reason their child can't spell etc and so stop trying to help them.

As fir Yuri argument about advanced logic. That is Poppycock

Would you like to define "poppycock" to help my 1950's brain understand exactly what it is you are trying to say? Thanks...

over a year ago

"I think its a mix of both even if you have common sense if your illiterate then your not really intelligent and before people start screaming dyslexia at me i have a dyslexic daughter who isn't illiterate, dyslexia don't equal illiteracy

So for this reason and more I remain suspicious to this "dyslexic" branding of people.. "

All this shows is your fundamental lack of knowledge and understanding of dyslexia.

Some of those more highly intelligent and capable people as you put it. could well have dyslexia or even be the ones who came up with such theories.

over a year ago

Dyslexia is about the hard wiring of the brain. Some people have a mild version of it and some have a major issue with it. Intelligence and dyslexia aren't linked.

People with true dyslexia struggle but often manage strategies to cope with it and these days there are plenty of ideas and lots of recognition of dyslexia. Some people claim to be dyslexic and clearly aren't.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"......

All this shows is your fundamental lack of knowledge and understanding of dyslexia.

Some of those more highly intelligent and capable people as you put it. could well have dyslexia or even be the ones who came up with such theories."

Few people, unless directly affect by dyslexia (as a sufferer, if that's the word, or a parent etc), know or understand much about it.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Intelligence is only of any value if it's linked to wisdom...

On it's own it can become quite boring.

I just wish that I could meet someone with a measure of each!"

Yep! My dads like that as he says "knowledge is knowing what you know, wisdom is knowing what you don't know."

over a year ago

evesham

"Back to the 1950s for you lol

As fir Yuri argument about advanced logic. That is Poppycock

Would you like to define "poppycock" to help my 1950's brain understand exactly what it is you are trying to say? Thanks..."

You're saying that dyslexia doesn't exist. It's just that some people can't grasp the level of standard reading, writing and numeracy (might as well throw dysbraxia in the mix as well) and that you might be considered dyslexic to those few minds among us who excel in such areas because you dint understand it.

Dyslexia and dysbraxia are not simply not being able to understand somethinge with enough time and tutoring even you could understand advanced subject matters. As Tor says it's to do with the hard wiring of the brain. They don't process information the same way as a non dyslexic or dysbraxic person does.

Hope that has helped.

over a year ago

intelligence...even the most smartest of minds can be twats, or indeed be utterly stupid taken out of their comfort zones.

I find people afraid of spiders and other insects quite daft...I see it all quite logically...however I can show some empathy, which in itself is one of the best forms of intelligence

I dont even mind bad spelling or grammar or text speak...its not that hard to see barriers of communication and be able to adapt, or advise

I wont go judging people based on minimal interactions especially..shame lots of people do it

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

[Removed by poster at 07/09/13 10:38:18]

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Intelligence, like sex appeal, is difficult to define. A well written and intelligent message is only half the story - they could be boring as hell when we meet.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"How do you define intelligence ? Only asking due to the number of threads on spelling and grammar. As a lot of people seem to use this a a gauge. We feel that a lot of factors make an intelligent person not all academic. "

This is true. I knew a mega intelligent guy and he couldn't cook an egg. In that respect, he was thick as shit.

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

The word intelligence has been used to describe several facilities but to my mind it refers to IQ, which I would define as the ability to solve problems logically and use logic generally.

You can test IQ without any reference to education or knowledge, which means spelling and grammar are not necessarily related. But if someone has been through a normal education and NOT learned the basics then it could be they have a low IQ. They may be much better at other things that are of equal or greater value to you, I value intuition very highly for instance. But I absolutely love connecting with what I call 'a sharp mind', it can be a very exciting, stimulating thing.

over a year ago

So for this reason and more I remain suspicious to this "dyslexic" branding of people..

Some of those more highly intelligent and capable people as you put it. could well have dyslexia or even be the ones who came up with such theories."

I meant to highlight the differences between different brains and how they work. I do not have a missunderstanding of how dyslexia works. My own sister who is 14 years younger than me was diagnosed with dyslexia when she was 5 and ever since then I'v been doing my best to correct her learning due to the failings of her teachers at her school. For this reason I now understand the correct approach to use to teach her new ideas when she can't grasp them at school.

So in my view it is you who is misunderstanding my view on the subject as all I wanted to do is highlight the differences between different brains and how they work. I.E. Just because you think differently doesn't mean you are "dyslexic"

And for the bloody record so of you are extremely judgemental and should go take a big long stare in the bloody mirror and have a word with yourselves.

Disgracefull really

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

two is my nephews are super intelligent one is doing genetic research the other is a carpenter. The carpenter is the more intelligent of the two if you are measuring by academic scoring but if you are measuring by career I suppose you'd say its the geneticist...so just how do you define intelligence?

over a year ago

on here i would say an inteligent man is one who takes notice of what i am looking for on my profile and knows that if he is nice to me then i will be nice to him also.

inteligent people know how to behave.

over a year ago

Dyslexic for me is about a mismatch between brain and hand, the hardest word for me to spell is the, it usually comes out as teh I have no real idea why, but if I write it wrong someone can point at it and I still can't see it's wrong. Advanced calculus however has never been a problem. Nor has reading, in fact when reading I will spot spelling and grammar errors others have made, even though I can't write it myself.

Weird thing this brain / body connection.

over a year ago

"two is my nephews are super intelligent one is doing genetic research the other is a carpenter. The carpenter is the more intelligent of the two if you are measuring by academic scoring but if you are measuring by career I suppose you'd say its the geneticist...so just how do you define intelligence?"

That's why we tend not to go by profession as doctor should have great medical knowledge but when it comes to fixing a fault with a car wouldn't be as good as a mechanic.

We feel its a mixture of common sense the ability to learn/adapt and know when you don't know

over a year ago

Surely it should be quite simple to define:

Knowledge is the capacity to store information.

Intelligence is the capacity to process information.

Wisdom is the capacity to make sound judgement.

Or am I being too simplistic?

By *risky_MareWoman
over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Surely it should be quite simple to define:

Or am I being too simplistic?"

Nearly - knowledge is the information stored - not sure what you would call the 'capacity to store'?

over a year ago

"Surely it should be quite simple to define:

Or am I being too simplistic?"

Not at all if that's how you personally define intelligence. That's why we started the thread it's a word that's used a lot on fab and people seem to use it to mean different things

over a year ago

I couldn't give a stuff about grammar or spelling. I don't like text speak though.

Personally I think intelligence can be levelled at the ability to have a mutual in deapth conversation with the person you're with. We're all different in many ways. It's more about that click for me.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I haven't read all posts due to not wanting to ..... BUT .....

Poor spelling and grammar are not sufficient evidence on which to assign the label of low intelligence on any person.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

There's one of those shitey photograph chain letter thingys going round Facebook at the moment but this one, THIS ONE, says 'Creativity is Intelligence Having Fun'.

I can live with that.

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"I haven't read all posts due to not wanting to ..... BUT .....

Poor spelling and grammar are not sufficient evidence on which to assign the label of low intelligence on any person. "

over a year ago

intelligence !!!!! Someone who can boil a egg

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"intelligence !!!!! Someone who can boil a egg "

by looking at it ?