Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Products with the biggest mark up?

Jump to newest

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man
over a year ago

folkestone

I read somewhere that razor blades are a huge mark up on the price they are made for. Is there any other products that have a huge mark up?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Plants in a garden centre, trust me i used to be a nurseryman.

Oh and computer parts (specifically mac parts. you can add at least 50% to a mac price.)

over a year ago

"I read somewhere that razor blades are a huge mark up on the price they are made for. Is there any other products that have a huge mark up?"

Almost everything you buy regularly I think

over a year ago

GREETINGS CARDS! What a con

By *ibanditMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Anthing with Hollister, Bench, Bank, etc, on them.

over a year ago

Cups of tea in cafes

By *illow PimpMan
over a year ago

Midlothian

Coffee

By *ibanditMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Coffee is fine if you buy it in the supermarket half-price..!

By *outhernchappieMan
over a year ago

brighton

You'll be amazed to the mark up and profit on sunglasses

By *nsert user name hereMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Cinema popcorn the bag costs more than the contents

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Coke from a pump in pubs

over a year ago

Surely it's razor blades?With other stuff like coffee etc you can often get them on specials in the supermarket.You never get blades on special offer...

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"I read somewhere that razor blades are a huge mark up on the price they are made for. Is there any other products that have a huge mark up?"

I would say just about everything!!

over a year ago

The chicken used in KFC. I heard a few years back that, as KFC owns all the farms it gets it's chickens from, the cost of rearing one was 17p!!! Then see how many pieces they get from just one bird - more than you and I would manage.

ted.

over a year ago

Food in pubs is around 100% minimum mark up.

Coffee costs around 35p a cup for the likes of costa to make yet retail £4.

Don't know the razor blade mark up

But need to buy some so good reminder thanks

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The average regular Latte costs between 19p and 24p to make and sells for Ten times that, but you are paying for the overheads and staff costs of a coffee shop.

Cut flowers, good mark up but terrible wastage.

Premium chocolate bars can be a high mark up, but cheap confectionary like Cadburys products, Mars bars etc have a very poor profit margin for a retailer.

over a year ago

Pizza ....... the average contents/toppings for a large pizza costs around 10p plus gas/electric to cook it ......... average price is £14:99 upwards

By *aucy3Couple
over a year ago

glasgow

Cigarettes and alcohol,

Oh!and petrol.

over a year ago

chips . cost pennies .

over a year ago

All so bottled water ..

By *uud 4-funMan
over a year ago

Dartford

I've often wondered why it costs the better part of a tenner to go to the cinema. Can anyone explain please.

over a year ago

"Anthing with Hollister, Bench, Bank, etc, on them."

Stone island, cp company etc.

over a year ago

Diamond rings. A ring at £3000 in the window is bought at £1000 plus vat.

Any jewellery item really. A watch battery, for example costs 59p. To get it stuck in an Armani non water resistant watch at a jewellers that I used to work in was £35. Takes around 2 mins to do.

Just remember if you are buying a gift of jewellery, the price you see in the window isn't the price you have to pay. I've seen as much as 20% be taken off a watch of around £1500+ just to get the sale. Always haggle, and if in a shopping mall, play the jewellers off each other. They all want the money in their till.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"I've often wondered why it costs the better part of a tenner to go to the cinema. Can anyone explain please.

"

The cost of showing the film I think cinemas have to pay a certain fee to the people that make the movie to show it...which I understand is a huge fee.....plus staff costs etc

By *nsert user name hereMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"I've often wondered why it costs the better part of a tenner to go to the cinema. Can anyone explain please.

"

Cos it costs less than a penny to fill that popcorn bag and there greedy barstewards I'll leave u to work out the mark up

over a year ago

Toys and lingerie. My mark up used to be always 60% + x

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

The cost of showing the film I think cinemas have to pay a certain fee to the people that make the movie to show it...which I understand is a huge fee.....plus staff costs etc "

And cos people will pay it.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I have no proof but I reckon the markup on cupcakes must be huge.

over a year ago

Donner meat

over a year ago

"

cost of premises

business rates,

electricity.

wages,

hire of film,

20% VAT

tax

investment,

bank charges

interest.

oh yes there in business to make a profit too.

over a year ago

"Pizza ....... the average contents/toppings for a large pizza costs around 10p plus gas/electric to cook it ......... average price is £14:99 upwards"

I doubt fillings for a large pizza costs 10p.

over a year ago

"Cigarettes and alcohol,

Oh!and petrol. "

profit on fags is about 5p in the pound, hardly extortinate, its tax that makes them expensive, which the retailer collects for the govt.

By *tirling DarkCouple
over a year ago

Stirling

Jamie O's favourite, prepared meals around 200% mark up. Dipping bread premeal, a few slices of average bread, olive oil and a splash if balsamic, all for £3.....bargain

over a year ago

"Diamond rings. A ring at £3000 in the window is bought at £1000 plus vat.

Any jewellery item really. A watch battery, for example costs 59p. To get it stuck in an Armani non water resistant watch at a jewellers that I used to work in was £35. Takes around 2 mins to do.

Just remember if you are buying a gift of jewellery, the price you see in the window isn't the price you have to pay. I've seen as much as 20% be taken off a watch of around £1500+ just to get the sale. Always haggle, and if in a shopping mall, play the jewellers off each other. They all want the money in their till."

Perfectly true. I once haggled the price of a ring from £225 down to £130 !!

over a year ago

Mens cock pics/size claims on Fab?

over a year ago

"All so bottled water .."

This has to be the worst. Whats Evian spelled backwards?

By *ighland_RoseCouple
over a year ago

Brigadoon

cost of premises

business rates,

electricity.

wages,

hire of film,

20% VAT

tax

investment,

bank charges

interest.

oh yes there in business to make a profit too."

Plus insurance, losses, and a lot of businesses in shopping centres have to pay a percentage of their profits, as well as rent, to the shopping centre.

over a year ago

So if the ticket price has covered those costs, why the fuck are the refreshments so expensive?

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Popcorn in Cinemas.

over a year ago

"Cinema popcorn the bag costs more than the contents "

Yes ! Its a joke !!!! Last time I went to the Cinema I got the kids some popcorn , sales assistant said "would you like anything else?" I could not help my self I said. "No I had to get a second mortgage out to pay for this!!!"

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Cinema popcorn the bag costs more than the contents

Yes ! Its a joke !!!! Last time I went to the Cinema I got the kids some popcorn , sales assistant said "would you like anything else?" I could not help my self I said. "No I had to get a second mortgage out to pay for this!!!" "

.....loving the slippers btw xx

over a year ago

Yes ! Its a joke !!!! Last time I went to the Cinema I got the kids some popcorn , sales assistant said "would you like anything else?" I could not help my self I said. "No I had to get a second mortgage out to pay for this!!!" .....loving the slippers btw xx "

Thanks they give an indication of my mood this week

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Yes ! Its a joke !!!! Last time I went to the Cinema I got the kids some popcorn , sales assistant said "would you like anything else?" I could not help my self I said. "No I had to get a second mortgage out to pay for this!!!" .....loving the slippers btw xx

Thanks they give an indication of my mood this week "

I sense NOT happy as a pig in shit.

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS
over a year ago

Cheadle

being in manufacturing and retail for most of my working life I still haven't found anything as extortionate and rip off as service industries, they could certainly teach the retailers a lesson in imaginative accounting, lol, xxx

over a year ago

Cinemas get barely anything for ticket sales, they make everything on snacks and arcade games

I would say crisps are the biggest mark up. You can buy a bag of potatoes for a quid, And I would say for a bag of 60p walkers crisps theres not even a quarter of 1 potato

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Cigarettes and alcohol,

Oh!and petrol.

profit on fags is about 5p in the pound, hardly extortinate, its tax that makes them expensive, which the retailer collects for the govt."

Petrol is the same, there isn't much mark up on fuel - it's mostly excise duty and tax and vat

over a year ago

when I take my nieces and nephews anywhere, I take sweets, popcorn etc, and if you are discreet never had a problem,

Mind you if money is a problem, why go to the cinema, nearly everyone has flat screen telly and can see most films from comfort of home,

just create a party mood, invite kids friends, make toffee apples and fresh popcorn, smell is delish, and you will be very popular !

over a year ago

Advertised prices are an invitation to buy, not a definitive price, Most retailers, ( of non food products ) double their cost price.

Every sq foot of retail space has a weekly expense. so retailers need to shift goods,

If you can speak to the business owner, possibly store manager, you can haggle, but make it worth while , ie, offer about 25% less for a product, but offer to buy 2 or more, make it worthwhile for the seller. and be flexible, accept display model, even if there is a scratch on it, This works well with white goods,

over a year ago

Electric guitars! Well the good ones anyway...

A few years back Fender released a copy of a guitar that Eddie Van Halen built himself, most of the parts came out a reject bin and non of them fitted properly and it was wired up wrong. Total cost of the original was around $180 (including the cheap bicycle paint he used to paint it), cost of the Fender copy.....£15,000!!!

Same goes for their regular production models, the parts cost about £70 and a Stratocaster will cost you £850 for a basic model...

over a year ago

many people know the cost of everything, but the value of nothing......

By *ndykayMan
over a year ago

Falkirk

"Electric guitars! Well the good ones anyway...

A few years back Fender released a copy of a guitar that Eddie Van Halen built himself, most of the parts came out a reject bin and non of them fitted properly and it was wired up wrong. Total cost of the original was around $180 (including the cheap bicycle paint he used to paint it), cost of the Fender copy.....£15,000!!!

Same goes for their regular production models, the parts cost about £70 and a Stratocaster will cost you £850 for a basic model..."

People pay for the name - not the product

over a year ago

Same goes for their regular production models, the parts cost about £70 and a Stratocaster will cost you £850 for a basic model...

People pay for the name - not the product "

exactly

Heinze beans 50p

aldi beans 16p

over a year ago

People pay for the name - not the product "

I know that, I'm not an idiot!...the question at the top of the thread is about markup, I was merely posting an example...

By *or Fox SakeCouple
over a year ago

Thornaby

Games Workshop. Every one of their branded products are basically theft. And they cynically aim straight at kids. You are talking of around 1000% on metal figures. Same on paint and brushes.

over a year ago

Perfumes.

Post new Message to Thread