Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Voluntary DNA samples

Jump to newest

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

Gave mine to the police after a horrific local murder some years ago. I told them to keep it if they wanted to. They said at that time they weren't allowed to.Pretty sure times have changed. Would it bother you if your DNA was kept?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nope , nothing to hide here

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

yes ..all sorts of things can be done with your dna without your consent

over a year ago

Yes It would. I have no reason to give my dna to anyone.

over a year ago

"yes ..all sorts of things can be done with your dna without your consent "

Now I'm interested , like what ?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

No not bothered at all.....

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"yes ..all sorts of things can be done with your dna without your consent

Now I'm interested , like what ? "

Exactly.

By *hocksandmissusCouple
over a year ago

Chester-ish

only problem we would have with it is the fact the records arnt kept in this country they are kept on a central data base in the states not sure were the states are central to over here mind xxxxxx

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"only problem we would have with it is the fact the records arnt kept in this country they are kept on a central data base in the states not sure were the states are central to over here mind xxxxxx"
Fair enough. Not sure what differnce that would make to be honest.So if kept in the UK only what would you feel about that?

over a year ago

watch oblivion, or the better 'original' Moon!

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

laboratory tests on cell reformation ..drug trials for pharmaceutical companies ..cloning for the use of growing particular parts after traumatic injuries .. infertility trials ..its a fairly extensive list

over a year ago

I wouldn't mind at all!

over a year ago

"yes ..all sorts of things can be done with your dna without your consent "

I'm with you on that one, especially in a time of replicating and locking people up indefinitely for whistleblowing and such

over a year ago

"laboratory tests on cell reformation ..drug trials for pharmaceutical companies ..cloning for the use of growing particular parts after traumatic injuries .. infertility trials ..its a fairly extensive list "

Ah in that case they can have it , I was only worried about them cloning a whole new me

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"laboratory tests on cell reformation ..drug trials for pharmaceutical companies ..cloning for the use of growing particular parts after traumatic injuries .. infertility trials ..its a fairly extensive list "
You sure that's only DNA being used in these things? Didn't happen before? Doubt it.

over a year ago

No its on file

Most people will be asked soon anyone who is arrested or even going in for an inter_iew will now be asked...times are changing its a good thing.

over a year ago

I'm with you on that one, especially in a time of replicating and locking people up indefinitely for whistleblowing and such"

Ok I'm changing my mind , I've seen how DNA can be used to prove guilt on csi

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

So those against convictions for rape using DNA evidence would argue the accused was possibly innocent? Allow them to walk out of court?Blimey.

over a year ago

I'm with you on that one, especially in a time of replicating and locking people up indefinitely for whistleblowing and such

Ok I'm changing my mind , I've seen how DNA can be used to prove guilt on csi "

I'm staying stubborn, if I get the chance to throw Piers Morgan in the mersey, I dont want it to make me popular.

over a year ago

"watch oblivion, or the better 'original' Moon!"

I thought oblivion was a copy of moon.

Surprised that it's bowies

over a year ago

....son who directed it

over a year ago

No I wouldn't allow them to keep it if I had a choice.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"No I wouldn't allow them to keep it if I had a choice. "
Fair enough. Just asked the question is all. Thanks for the response.

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

if dna was taken at birth and detection became 100%.crime could be eradicated .

over a year ago

"if dna was taken at birth and detection became 100%.crime could be eradicated . "

Word is, from a DoH'er, that they do but just keep quiet about it.

By * Jay69Man
over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

Just because it gets guilty verdicts in court does not necessarily mean it's a good thing. There must be some limits on the information a government can collect on it's citizens. Personal Emails, texts, gps locations of the phone user at all times, every piece of homework since starting school and so on.

May be unlikely, but imagine a BNP government, they would have access to everyone's racial history - good idea? Don't even mention eugenics.

over a year ago

"No I wouldn't allow them to keep it if I had a choice. Fair enough. Just asked the question is all. Thanks for the response."

No problem just think it is a step too far. But then again I would possibly change my mind if a serious crime was committed against a loved one or close friend.

So really I don't know if I would actually

over a year ago

"watch oblivion, or the better 'original' Moon!

Surprised that it's bowies"

I dunno...but it certainly wasnt as good as moon..and pretty pointless...and fairly shite lol

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"if dna was taken at birth and detection became 100%.crime could be eradicated . "

Unlikely. Lots of crime is committed in the heat of the moment, with no regard for the consequences.

I'm surprised so many people would be happy with having their DNA on record.

You all trust the police that much? All it'd take is one bad copper to take a dislike to you and you could be framed up in an instant!

By *ark Gr8 Teddy BearMan
over a year ago

Wigan

They could have my DNA any time. And I wish they would clone me. I could use the parts to fix my problems.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"Just because it gets guilty verdicts in court does not necessarily mean it's a good thing. There must be some limits on the information a government can collect on it's citizens. Personal Emails, texts, gps locations of the phone user at all times, every piece of homework since starting school and so on.

May be unlikely, but imagine a BNP government, they would have access to everyone's racial history - good idea? Don't even mention eugenics.

"

If it convicted a child rapist ot murderer would you discount it as evidence then?

over a year ago

Crime will never be eradicated, it will just be manipulated to oppress society. And there are typical crimes and then necessary crimes. Especially when your government chooses to further oppress you or become tyrannical; using threats and false pretenses to scare people into line.

Look at how the country acted after 9/11. Not a shred of trust. The banks want to tag you, the government wants to ID you, the police want your DNA, all to make up for the fact that they know they're inadequate in the face of fear.

If freedom be stained in blood then so be it, but if we have to bear the weight of someone else's insecurities, it shouldn't have to involve buying into another half baked brave new world or big society. It's all a crock of shit and you'd have a hell of a tax hike for it.

over a year ago

"No its on file

Most people will be asked soon anyone who is arrested or even going in for an inter_iew will now be asked...times are changing its a good thing."

When arrested now your dna and finger prints are taken and stored on national data base alot with a photo recognition picture, sometimes depending what arrested for they stand you in ultra violet room to trace for smart water, which in its own right is a criminal dna compound that gets on ya skin and clothes and stains and can stay on ya for a long time, they also in some cases test you for drugs depending on the type of crime you commit

over a year ago

"watch oblivion, or the better 'original' Moon!

Surprised that it's bowies

I dunno...but it certainly wasnt as good as moon..and pretty pointless...and fairly shite lol"

Yeah it wasn't as good as moon.

Good taste btw

over a year ago

Say what? You been watching minority report?

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

surely a very high detrction rate would act like a deterrent and reduce serious crimes .. its the reduction that is the important target not the clear up rate

over a year ago

"surely a very high detrction rate would act like a deterrent and reduce serious crimes .. its the reduction that is the important target not the clear up rate "

I agree with you there that this would be the greater good that it would aim for but essentially, as someone that was brought up to trust and respect the police, I dont have a single shred of trust left for them or the govt. And I'm not even a criminal.

They ought to try harder to prevent crimes, like when someone calls for their help on 999 and then gets a fucking phonecall from them two weeks later instead. It's not about the community until they have to meet quotas to quell public unrest, it's all about protecting investments where the money is.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"if dna was taken at birth and detection became 100%.crime could be eradicated .

Crime will never be eradicated, it will just be manipulated to oppress society. And there are typical crimes and then necessary crimes. Especially when your government chooses to further oppress you or become tyrannical; using threats and false pretenses to scare people into line.

Look at how the country acted after 9/11. Not a shred of trust. The banks want to tag you, the government wants to ID you, the police want your DNA, all to make up for the fact that they know they're inadequate in the face of fear.

If freedom be stained in blood then so be it, but if we have to bear the weight of someone else's insecurities, it shouldn't have to involve buying into another half baked brave new world or big society. It's all a crock of shit and you'd have a hell of a tax hike for it."

Could you clarify the difference between "typical" crimes and "necessary" crimes please? Thanking you in advance.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Hell no!

By * Jay69Man
over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

"Just because it gets guilty verdicts in court does not necessarily mean it's a good thing. There must be some limits on the information a government can collect on it's citizens. Personal Emails, texts, gps locations of the phone user at all times, every piece of homework since starting school and so on.

If it convicted a child rapist or murderer would you discount it as evidence then?"

Are X number of convicted rapists worth the loss of freedom for everyone else.

I personally do not think so. The risk of misuse of the data is all too possible.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

If it convicted a child rapist or murderer would you discount it as evidence then?

Are X number of convicted rapists worth the loss of freedom for everyone else.

I personally do not think so. The risk of misuse of the data is all too possible."

Personally I would err on the side of caution than risk a convicted rapist to go free and rape again. DNA can't lie.

By * Jay69Man
over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

It comes down to where to draw the line.

Would you agree to permanent, blanket surveillance 24/7 with cameras in your (and everyone else's) bedroom and toilet - because it would reduce crime?

This may be unacceptable to you ?

DNA records of everyone in the UK is unacceptable to me.

Ends do not justify the means.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

No.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"It comes down to where to draw the line.

Would you agree to permanent, blanket surveillance 24/7 with cameras in your (and everyone else's) bedroom and toilet - because it would reduce crime?

This may be unacceptable to you ?

DNA records of everyone in the UK is unacceptable to me.

Ends do not justify the means."

I agree.

over a year ago

No my DNA is mine I am very careful about how it's spread around. Not in the habit of giving it away why would I want it on a database somewhere.

They might mix it with Dolly the sheep for a laugh.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Are we sure there isn't one already? Taken from new norms?

over a year ago

"Could you clarify the difference between "typical" crimes and "necessary" crimes please? Thanking you in advance."

My apologies.

Typical crimes - the ones the communities can always do without. Violence, hate crime, home theft, armed robbery, mugging, rape, abuse, murder etc.

Necessary crimes -

1. Petty theft in the case of those that go without support when they are desperate; them and their children.

2.) Aggressive self defence against harmful and possibly lethal violent attacks, whether it be a specific of random attacker (or plural), not excluding rogue police officers fond of brutality.

3.) Defending your neighbour also. This seems to be a taboo subject for police, as I found out last year. I was told after the investigation to stay out of other peoples' problems from then on aka call the police and dont approach the situation (this situation was a gang attacking a woman and me wading in ten minutes later and kicking many arses because ganging up on her wasnt enough, they stuck around to wait for their crew because they were threatening to then stab her. The police took two weeks to turn up to the emergency call)!

4.) Criminal encounters of the poetic kind - if somebody steals from you, vandalises or destroys your property, and the police prove inadequate, you better believe I dont need DNA to get even if I cant take back what's mine.

That is what I call necessary crime. All criminals have their loopholes, so should I if that's what I'm faced with.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

not sure I would be comfortable with the 'state' having my DNA on a database tbh..

whether that's about trust of parts of the system or the historical feck ups with data in general ..

don't buy the 'if you've got nothing to hide line'..

my privacy is mine and to be shared with whom I choose, not at the behest of some employee etc..

over a year ago

I think in terms of medical advances its good I currently have ovarian failure and if DNA testing meant in years to come I can have kids I'm all for it.

and in terms of DNA testing to confirm guilt/innocence in terms if crime assuming everyone is honest and uses it for good it's ok with me.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Are we sure there isn't one already? Taken from new norms?"

new borns.

over a year ago

"not sure I would be comfortable with the 'state' having my DNA on a database tbh..

whether that's about trust of parts of the system or the historical feck ups with data in general ..

don't buy the 'if you've got nothing to hide line'..

my privacy is mine and to be shared with whom I choose, not at the behest of some employee etc.. "

Here! What surreysensual said...

If Ian Duncan Smith cant run the fucking IT companies properly when he's trying to sort out the country's welfare system, what cant be fucked up with our DNA???

over a year ago

In the way the death penalty stops all murders in the states where it is used...

If everyones DNA is taken maybe we'll just see rise in burglars torching properties after they have robbed them, Rapists don't always leave DNA behind and steps can be taken to minimise the transfer of DNA, hats, gloves and condoms... Maybe rapists will take to killing and hiding/disposing their victims bodies to avoid detection.

Like a fingerprint if you don't leave one it isn't there to find. It certainly would not prevent crime.

By * Jay69Man
over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

"assuming everyone is honest and uses it for good it's ok with me. "

Sorry, far to big an assumption for me.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Could the cops, courts and prisons cope with more crime being investigated and solved?

over a year ago

sorry no trust in The police or The government ...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"assuming everyone is honest and uses it for good it's ok with me.

Sorry, far to big an assumption for me."

ditto..

when the media and the Politicians are baying for a particularly heinous crime to be solved one would assume that the person would fit the said crime and not the other way round..

recognise its in the minority ..

over a year ago

I'm confused.

My DNA should already be 'on file'.

I was arrested 7 years ago for a very silly incident and had mouth swabs and finger prints taken along with a photo. I was told these would be kept on record to 'match me with any future offences'

over a year ago

How do you know your DNA has not already be taken national secret data base held by the goverment, taken at birth.

Now this could just be an urban or not

over a year ago

No it wouldn't. It might be reduced, initially, but the way society works, people will still vandalise, rob, rape and murder. People commit crimes today in the full knowledge they will be caught and punished, but they still commit them.

over a year ago

People seem to thimk a live DNA sample is help.... it'sthe 'code' that's held.

They don't keep your finger tips for fingerprints, just the pattren....

How far down the list of crimes would be acceptable for DNA to be used, murder, rape without doubt, fag end on the street maybe not....

Thats where we should be looking at, who is allowed access. .

over a year ago

Already got it so not really bothered

over a year ago

My d n a is on record don't have a problem with that at all.

I was a bit of a naughty boy a few years ago. So can't take it off even if I wanted too.

I regret what I did and full of remorse.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Thankfully not been nicked since I was a silly lad so can't say I know the score on this. Is it law now they can just take it if your arrested ?

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"DNA can't lie."

But it can be planted

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"if dna was taken at birth and detection became 100%.crime could be eradicated .

No it wouldn't. It might be reduced, initially, but the way society works, people will still vandalise, rob, rape and murder. People commit crimes today in the full knowledge they will be caught and punished, but they still commit them."

Plus not a crime is physical. Increasing it is becoming an online issue.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Not all crime

over a year ago

I would hate to do something that would put me on the DNA register but I do accept that it is a necessary evil. I personally do not think it is a coincidence that the crime rate has generally drifted downward. If you do something horrid and violent nowadays you'll get caught for it if you are on the register. A lot of very unpleasant people have been caught and banged to rights so we are a lot better off without them on the streets. Only yesterday at long last a vicious rapist was finally pinned to the death of a young girl when other people had languished in jail for the crime, so how can that be wrong or undesirable. Those young men would say it's right. Of that I am certain.

It's a tough call but when you weigh up the Pro's and con's it has to be done the more and more people there are on the planet the harder it gets. DNA profiling has to be done. It's the biggest single factor in crime detection since the finger print.

over a year ago

I'd have no problem in allowing my DNA to be held on a national data base...

By *imiUKMan
over a year ago

Hereford

And I thought a 'voluntary DNA donation' was going to be a clever new euphemism.....

over a year ago

Maybe we should merge this thread with the Splash Tsunami one?

Sounds like a lot of voluntary DNA was being donated....

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I'm pretty happy to share my DNA... IF U NO WOT I MEAN!!¡

over a year ago

When the majority of people are on a DNA database violent crime will possibly increase.

Policing will almost definitely change as the government seek to recover costs of maintaining the database. High return low cost crimes will become the focus.

1, Police will be tasked with picking up litter and running it against the DNA database to issue the £75 fines, quick and effective.

2, Dogging sites will be swept for DNA evidence and people fined after the event.

3, Police pay will be cut, after all they can pick up litter without much skill or training.

4, New government cost cutting exercise will remove all live policing as it's too expensive, crimes will be detected AFTER the event so fewer or no police patrols will be funded.

5, Criminal types will become good at covering their DNA tracks whilst non criminal types will remain careless, (just like the CCTV effect)

6, Destruction of evidence will be the new focus of criminals. Just as cars are often burned out when stolen expect homes to receive the same treatment, and worse when it's a crime against a person fire is also the best defence against capture.

Just as was proposed to help fund the ID card idea, the data will be sold to the credit card companies, expect a spit tube at all supermarket checkouts to replace the chip and pin.

One final thought... IF 100% of DNA is gathered it may well be proved that it's unique to say one in 30 million, which would make it useless in court as that would introduce the element of doubt to all prosecutions.

over a year ago

"How do you know your DNA has not already be taken national secret data base held by the goverment, taken at birth.

Now this could just be an urban or not

"

Easy, I am so old DNA wasn't known about when I was born

By *litterbabeWoman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I believe if you are arrested your DNA sample is kept and added to a database, to compare for genetic connections.

I may be wrong but this is what I was told by a criminal.

If you are released without charges you can write to ask that it is destroyed...if your wish is carried out you will never know.

over a year ago

"DNA can't lie.

But it can be planted"

That's the part that puts me off

And the nonsense of using it to police litter and other petty things also don't see the point. But for serious crimes rape/murder is useful to make sure the criminal is found and brought to justice as long as the DNA database is not abused and used to set someone up etc I'm all for it

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"DNA can't lie.

But it can be planted

That's the part that puts me off

And the nonsense of using it to police litter and other petty things also don't see the point. But for serious crimes rape/murder is useful to make sure the criminal is found and brought to justice as long as the DNA database is not abused and used to set someone up etc I'm all for it "

Never seen anyone convicted of petty crime using DNA.Have you?

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Due to being a naughty girl many moons ago mine is on file lol

over a year ago

"I'm staying stubborn, if I get the chance to throw Piers Morgan in the mersey, I dont want it to make me popular."

Didn't know Jeremy Clarkson was in the forum.

Yes its definitely a good idea and they can have mine, if it helps with an investigation if only to eliminate its a good thing

If they want to clone me, jeez that their mistake

over a year ago

No....

I may be a bad boy...

But I'm no criminal...

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I'm staying stubborn, if I get the chance to throw Piers Morgan in the mersey, I dont want it to make me popular.

Didn't know Jeremy Clarkson was in the forum.

Yes its definitely a good idea and they can have mine, if it helps with an investigation if only to eliminate its a good thing

If they want to clone me, jeez that their mistake"

That's why I gave my DNA sample to help the police in a murder enquiry.Why hamper the police by refusing?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't understand how someone who isn't a suspect can be hampering the police by not providing a DNA sample.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I don't understand how someone who isn't a suspect can be hampering the police by not providing a DNA sample."
Becuase they wanted to eliminate everyone who had been out the night of the murder(they askled pub landords). It was a New Years Eve and they wanted to eliminate those people first(or catch if they were guilty).In the first few hours everyone is a possible culprit aren't they?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't understand how someone who isn't a suspect can be hampering the police by not providing a DNA sample.Becuase they wanted to eliminate everyone who had been out the night of the murder(they askled pub landords). It was a New Years Eve and they wanted to eliminate those people first(or catch if they were guilty).In the first few hours everyone is a possible culprit aren't they? "

Not really because lots of people would have alibis wouldn't they or not been in the vicinity? I applaud your reasons though and as you say you had nothing to fear as an innocent man. But I really value what liberty and privacy I have left in a world where my every move from birth to death is recorded somewhere and I wouldn't voluntarily give a DNA sample.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I don't understand how someone who isn't a suspect can be hampering the police by not providing a DNA sample.Becuase they wanted to eliminate everyone who had been out the night of the murder(they askled pub landords). It was a New Years Eve and they wanted to eliminate those people first(or catch if they were guilty).In the first few hours everyone is a possible culprit aren't they?

Not really because lots of people would have alibis wouldn't they or not been in the vicinity? I applaud your reasons though and as you say you had nothing to fear as an innocent man. But I really value what liberty and privacy I have left in a world where my every move from birth to death is recorded somewhere and I wouldn't voluntarily give a DNA sample."

Sorry but alibis have to be checked and take a long time in many cases.DNA is a fast and efficeint way. People make up lies to help villains. DNA can't lie. xxx

over a year ago

I've got a fucking DNA "donate contract" for when I get murdered or die of natural truck collision death...

...I'm so special that whoever gets it has to eat my frozen shit for a year.

In other words..I don't care they can have it..just fuxk it..I'm a nihillist.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I've got a fucking DNA "donate contract" for when I get murdered or die of natural truck collision death...

"

Erm, I think you have completely missed the point of this thread. We're not talking about organ donation to be given to others.

over a year ago

"I've got a fucking DNA "donate contract" for when I get murdered or die of natural truck collision death...

Erm, I think you have completely missed the point of this thread. We're not talking about organ donation to be given to others. "

I know.

I'm highlighting the fact that the question your asking is almost fucking ridiculous.

Unless the forum is full of criminals I highly doubt anyone is gonna have a problem with it.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

Erm, I think you have completely missed the point of this thread. We're not talking about organ donation to be given to others.

I know.

I'm highlighting the fact that the question your asking is almost fucking ridiculous.

Unless the forum is full of criminals I highly doubt anyone is gonna have a problem with it. "

Well quite a few have said they would be unhappy. Have you read the responses?

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

No problem everyones dna should be on file with proper controls

over a year ago

I know.

Unless the forum is full of criminals I highly doubt anyone is gonna have a problem with it. Well quite a few have said they would be unhappy. Have you read the responses? "

Yeah.

Virtually everyone is saying they wouldn't have an issue.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

I know.

Unless the forum is full of criminals I highly doubt anyone is gonna have a problem with it. "

Oh could you point out why the question I asked is "almost fucking ridiculous"? I'd like to know.

By *obbyggg OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

I know.

Unless the forum is full of criminals I highly doubt anyone is gonna have a problem with it. Well quite a few have said they would be unhappy. Have you read the responses?

Yeah.

Virtually everyone is saying they wouldn't have an issue. "

You sure about that? Quite a few have said no.

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

"

Virtually everyone is saying they wouldn't have an issue. "

You haven't read the thread have you

over a year ago

"

Virtually everyone is saying they wouldn't have an issue.

You haven't read the thread have you "

NOPE! I haven't.

I'm seeing more saying they don't have an issue than those who do.

Which is what I meant by "Virtually".

Anyhoo chiaoo.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I don't understand how someone who isn't a suspect can be hampering the police by not providing a DNA sample.Becuase they wanted to eliminate everyone who had been out the night of the murder(they askled pub landords). It was a New Years Eve and they wanted to eliminate those people first(or catch if they were guilty).In the first few hours everyone is a possible culprit aren't they?

Not really because lots of people would have alibis wouldn't they or not been in the vicinity? I applaud your reasons though and as you say you had nothing to fear as an innocent man. But I really value what liberty and privacy I have left in a world where my every move from birth to death is recorded somewhere and I wouldn't voluntarily give a DNA sample.Sorry but alibis have to be checked and take a long time in many cases.DNA is a fast and efficeint way. People make up lies to help villains. DNA can't lie. xxx"

To me and I stress this is just my opinion that isn't enough reason for my DNA to be held anywhere. DNA can't lie but finding someones DNA at the scene of a crime isn't proof that they committed said crime either, if I kissed a man or even had sex with him on New Year's Eve and left my DNA in the form of some hair, saliva etc and he was later murdered would that put me in the frame?

By *r Mahogany70Man
over a year ago

Leicester

I don't have a criminal record or have ever been questioned as a suspect in any crime (pre teen misdemeanours not withstanding) but I'd like to think if I were to commit a crime in the future I'd have a fair crack at getting away with it. So no, I'd not voluntarily give a DNA sample

over a year ago

I forget the exact details but there was a thing a while where a guy was arrested for something he wasn't involved with because they found his dna on a cig butt at a crime scene,

Turned out when testing at the lab they had mixed two cig butts up, and the innocent one with his on was put in place of the crime scene one, geniune mistake at the lab

On phone so can't check Google for actual details,

So there are downside to sharing,

over a year ago

".Sorry but alibis have to be checked and take a long time in many cases.DNA is a fast and efficeint way. People make up lies to help villains. DNA can't lie. xxx"

DNA test takes a few days to do, hit the labs with everyone who is out on NYE and that will cause a serious overload on the few labs capable. Plus they cost £30 or so in bulk.. As they were also inter_iewing everyone who was in the pubs there is a very good chance your DNA never got processed

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

DNA can't lie but people do. There are loads of circumstances in which I can imagine that happening. Also of the many sets of DNA that must be found on a murder victim how on earth.can you distinguish the murderer without further evidence?

Post new Message to Thread