Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sleep Paralysis

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

It's NOT an inability to move while you're asleep before you ask lol

Sleep Paralysis is when you wake up after sleep and suffer temporary paralysis. You may experience a profound tiredness or heaviness that you can't respond to - something that might feel like suffocation - and you may not even be able to talk, even if you awaken lucidly.

You can also hallucinate because your body and mind's ability to wake out of a dreamstate doesn't kick in.

I've experienced some pretty scary shit that some people might call religious if not straight out mortifying, including the experience of being possessed by a black figure standing over my bed and the grim reaper himself reaching into my chest and squeezing my heart with one bony hand; the last actually felt like a heart attack.

Anybody else experienced this fucked up shit?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Lay off the ..:-/

over a year ago

"Lay off the ..:-/"

LOOOOOOOL

Havent smoked it since 2008

over a year ago

I have quite a few times and it was so scary i can only imagine its what it would be like when you have a stroke.

over a year ago

That sounds seriously scary though

over a year ago

"I have quite a few times and it was so scary i can only imagine its what it would be like when you have a stroke."

Thank you, that was like one of the first times I experienced it. Was pretty painful too

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Yep, had It very occasionally for as long as I can remember...my hallucination is a black cowled figure stood in the corner of the room, I try to scream but can't...have to say, there's been some freaky erotica associated with it too...haven't had an episode now for a couple of years, but I know it'll happen again sometime

over a year ago

Have ever experienced a heart attack?

over a year ago

"Yep, had It very occasionally for as long as I can remember...my hallucination is a black cowled figure stood in the corner of the room, I try to scream but can't...have to say, there's been some freaky erotica associated with it too...haven't had an episode now for a couple of years, but I know it'll happen again sometime "

That's actually very freakily a commonly ocurring theme

over a year ago

"Have ever experienced a heart attack?

"

No but I had crippling bouts of angina when my depression and anxiety was at its worst about six years back and I used to have very lucid dreams of having heart attacks. In those moments of paralysis, you might as well believe its a heart attack because something has to motivate you to try to breathe

over a year ago

jeeesus, im sorry to hear you suffer with that.

if i saw things like that in a waking / sleeping paralysis or no i would litterally shit the bed.

By *un_JuiceCouple
over a year ago

Nr Chester

He's local to you although now based down South but check out the work by the author Anthony Peake. You may also find radio interviews through gurgle

over a year ago

I've had it a few times, it's really scary. You're desperately trying to move but your body's still asleep. It was at a time when I was really stressed and thankfully not had it since.

over a year ago

"jeeesus, im sorry to hear you suffer with that.

if i saw things like that in a waking / sleeping paralysis or no i would litterally shit the bed."

You get used to it, you know. You can get it with sleep deprivation too, which was part of my depression cycle, so I just see these things happening again and think, 'oh fuck, fine, here we go again...' lol

I had one last night. Woke up to the sound of someone crying outside, and my cat was pacing all over the bed acting unsettled, so it was just a matter of getting up when I could, making sure the coast was clear and putting the cat at ease again

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"Yep, had It very occasionally for as long as I can remember...my hallucination is a black cowled figure stood in the corner of the room, I try to scream but can't...have to say, there's been some freaky erotica associated with it too...haven't had an episode now for a couple of years, but I know it'll happen again sometime

That's actually very freakily a commonly ocurring theme "

I didn't know what it was til about 12 years ago when the late John Peel featured it on R4's Home Truths...thought I was a weirdo for 20 odd years! (Shut the fuck up regulars, I'm normal for Arse End )

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

So what is it then?

Caz + normal =

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

It's associated with night terrors which I suffer from sometimes. To wake in the midst of a terrifying dream and be convinced it's true (my recurrent one is also a strange figure in the room which is somehow threatening me) and not to be able to move when every fibre of my being wants me to scream and run away is very disturbing.

By *cottishrichMan
over a year ago

Here and there

I've had it a few times, it's not fun. Never had the hallucinations though, that sounds terrifying.

over a year ago

"Yep, had It very occasionally for as long as I can remember...my hallucination is a black cowled figure stood in the corner of the room, I try to scream but can't...have to say, there's been some freaky erotica associated with it too...haven't had an episode now for a couple of years, but I know it'll happen again sometime

That's actually very freakily a commonly ocurring theme

I didn't know what it was til about 12 years ago when the late John Peel featured it on R4's Home Truths...thought I was a weirdo for 20 odd years! (Shut the fuck up regulars, I'm normal for Arse End )"

At least someone pointed it out soon enough so you didnt go loony tunes. I only found out today, but the recurring theme of dark, "unholy" type figures is just fucked right up.

over a year ago

"It's associated with night terrors which I suffer from sometimes. To wake in the midst of a terrifying dream and be convinced it's true (my recurrent one is also a strange figure in the room which is somehow threatening me) and not to be able to move when every fibre of my being wants me to scream and run away is very disturbing. "

I had night terrors for years too, it was always about waking up and the fattest spider the size of my hand crawling over me in my bed. Either that or if i was running a fever and suffering with my stomach, the room was on fire. My mum said i screamed in my sleep for years.

over a year ago

I've experienced this too. Its generally a "grim reaper" type figure at the bottom of my bed. Its really scary when it happens.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

All sounds quite interesting. Am gonna go google.

Sleep well, everyone

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Google succubus and incubus...it's where a lot of that weird stuff can be traced back to. Glad you know what it is now and that it's not just you xxx

By *oole2010Couple
over a year ago

southampto

ive had it a few times myself(mr). though havent had one in a while. but havent hallucinated and i hope it stays that way

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"It's associated with night terrors which I suffer from sometimes. To wake in the midst of a terrifying dream and be convinced it's true (my recurrent one is also a strange figure in the room which is somehow threatening me) and not to be able to move when every fibre of my being wants me to scream and run away is very disturbing.

I had night terrors for years too, it was always about waking up and the fattest spider the size of my hand crawling over me in my bed. Either that or if i was running a fever and suffering with my stomach, the room was on fire. My mum said i screamed in my sleep for years."

Most people suffer from night terrors as children then grow out of them, I never got them as a child but started as an adult.

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

"So what is it then?

Caz + normal = "

I you too Steve

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"So what is it then?

Caz + normal =

I you too Steve "

Ditto

over a year ago

"It's associated with night terrors which I suffer from sometimes. To wake in the midst of a terrifying dream and be convinced it's true (my recurrent one is also a strange figure in the room which is somehow threatening me) and not to be able to move when every fibre of my being wants me to scream and run away is very disturbing.

I had night terrors for years too, it was always about waking up and the fattest spider the size of my hand crawling over me in my bed. Either that or if i was running a fever and suffering with my stomach, the room was on fire. My mum said i screamed in my sleep for years.

Most people suffer from night terrors as children then grow out of them, I never got them as a child but started as an adult. "

Me too

over a year ago

Had this for years, all started off about 15 years ago when I used to do drugs, I used to have some wild dreams and even see ghosts, and talk to them while in and out of consciousness I stopped all that but years later, I used to have a person dark figure stand over me and push on me and I trued to call my ex by screaming out but nothing came out, the more I struggled the worse it got,it was well fucked up and used to ask in the morning if she noticed anything going on and she didn't, it happend alot for a while and one time I remember it happening and in my mind I just thought fuck it do what ever to me and I just relaxed and it stopped and woke up, it happened a few times after and when I remembered to relax the paralysis and that stopped and came to, all I can say from my experience is dont fight it as it get worse just try to relax and in my case I came to and the more I did it the shorter it would happen, I get it once in a blue moon now, but to me it was all triggered from the days of when I took drugs which opened up my mind

over a year ago

" I've experienced some pretty scary shit that some people might call religious if not straight out mortifying, including the experience of being possessed by a black figure standing over my bed and the grim reaper himself reaching into my chest and squeezing my heart with one bony hand; the last actually felt like a heart attack.

Anybody else experienced this fucked up shit?"

Remarkably similar experience towards end of 2011; at the start of the year my cousin cut his own throat, then my dad died unexpectedly and two weeks after his funeral my youngest 9yo son had a bad rta and was in a coma for a couple of weeks, then another accident loosing part of his thumb and finger and at the end of the year my relationship ended ... i was feeling slightly down to say the least and one night whilst sat on the edge of my bed, completely awake and completely sober I felt that black, reaper like figure settle beside me and start to wrap leathery wings around me, it was very real, cold, physical feeling and I knew I had to get up and get out of the house or he was going to take me away.

Cathartic setting it down like this and reading similar experiences is reassuring ... nothing like it since so put it down to the stress of a bad year

over a year ago

"Had this for years, all started off about 15 years ago when I used to do drugs, I used to have some wild dreams and even see ghosts, and talk to them while in and out of consciousness I stopped all that but years later, I used to have a person dark figure stand over me and push on me and I trued to call my ex by screaming out but nothing came out, the more I struggled the worse it got,it was well fucked up and used to ask in the morning if she noticed anything going on and she didn't, it happend alot for a while and one time I remember it happening and in my mind I just thought fuck it do what ever to me and I just relaxed and it stopped and woke up, it happened a few times after and when I remembered to relax the paralysis and that stopped and came to, all I can say from my experience is dont fight it as it get worse just try to relax and in my case I came to and the more I did it the shorter it would happen, I get it once in a blue moon now, but to me it was all triggered from the days of when I took drugs which opened up my mind"

That was a huge part of the demonic possession version I had

over a year ago

" I've experienced some pretty scary shit that some people might call religious if not straight out mortifying, including the experience of being possessed by a black figure standing over my bed and the grim reaper himself reaching into my chest and squeezing my heart with one bony hand; the last actually felt like a heart attack.

Anybody else experienced this fucked up shit?

Remarkably similar experience towards end of 2011; at the start of the year my cousin cut his own throat, then my dad died unexpectedly and two weeks after his funeral my youngest 9yo son had a bad rta and was in a coma for a couple of weeks, then another accident loosing part of his thumb and finger and at the end of the year my relationship ended ... i was feeling slightly down to say the least and one night whilst sat on the edge of my bed, completely awake and completely sober I felt that black, reaper like figure settle beside me and start to wrap leathery wings around me, it was very real, cold, physical feeling and I knew I had to get up and get out of the house or he was going to take me away.

Cathartic setting it down like this and reading similar experiences is reassuring ... nothing like it since so put it down to the stress of a bad year "

You're a brave man, glad to hear you got through it

over a year ago

"You're a brave man, glad to hear you got through it"

Appreciate the sentiment but nothing brave about it ... almost cracked myself! Hope you beat your demons.

By *livia_KWoman
over a year ago

South London

I have had that sensation, but always assumed later that it was just a weird dream!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I don't have demonic dark figures, I am simply unable to open my eyes. I have dreams where I can't open my eyes and wake unable to open my eyes until my mind and body get back in sync.

I haven't had one for a few weeks but most weeks it will happen at least once.

over a year ago

Have had something like that. Woke up and knew the time was about 4am. I saw my brother walking across my bedroom door, he was walking across the landing to go in the room and when I went to say "what you doing, its 4 in the morning" I couldn't get it out and I tried shouting. No sound was leaving my mouth. It was like I had no voice box or cough muscle. So I thought I'd get up and I couldn't move an inch. Felt like I was being pinned to the bed in the position I was already in and it was my legs/hands/arms the lot I couldn't move. Not a nice experience. I rather nightmares all week than one of them. Not sure the reasons why people have had this. Although I am starting to think its something to do with an emptiness you might be feeling, what is at the back of your mind and over tiredness with anxiety on top of it. I maybe wrong though.

over a year ago

I used to suffer from them. Not had an episode in years but they used to be a regular thing, wake up in the middle of the night unable to move yet sensing I was not alone with someone at the foot of the bed.

For years I thought I was messed up but I guess not. My youngest brother has told me he suffers from them too (I never spoke about them).

over a year ago

I've had this my entire life, it got so bad when going through a stressful time, that it was happening 2/3 times a night and I was scared of sleeping. I never see faces but can see everything else, feel their presence, feel any pain inflicted from them ect.

I've woken in the past after an episode entirely believing there is someone in my house and made my ex go into each room, turn the lights in and search. And prove to me it wasn't real.

I can't even begin to explain the fear it creates and the effect it canhave on my whole day!

over a year ago

"I've had this my entire life, it got so bad when going through a stressful time, that it was happening 2/3 times a night and I was scared of sleeping. I never see faces but can see everything else, feel their presence, feel any pain inflicted from them ect.

I've woken in the past after an episode entirely believing there is someone in my house and made my ex go into each room, turn the lights in and search. And prove to me it wasn't real.

I can't even begin to explain the fear it creates and the effect it canhave on my whole day! "

I think stress makes it more frequent, but if you going mad with worry about something and you bottle it up. Then its bound to happen. Maybe your mind doesn't know if you are asleep as in dreaming or awake. When I had them. I never feared someone was at the end of my bed. Not even scared of the person on the edge of my bed, their presence, etc. To me that's a nasty nightmare that's easy enough to get over. However being paralysed in speech as well body movement scared me at the time I felt those things. When I wake up properly after it. I think "shit, that was bad", but carry on with my day as I would have without that. When feeling those things though. Its petrifying. Especially of you have them regularly. There was an explanation of it somewhere on why people go through this, but can't think where now

over a year ago

For me there is the paralysis but when I come back from that the feelings remain.

they are totally different to nightmares and night terrors, I suffer from them too..... I just sleep rubbish!

over a year ago

The fact someone is their or when you know its gone, but you feel edgy afterwards, like a state of shock?

May I ask do you worry alot/bottle things up and then go to sleep. Maybe have a drink in the meantime?

Reading your posts make me hate Warrington

over a year ago

"The fact someone is their or when you know its gone, but you feel edgy afterwards, like a state of shock?

May I ask do you worry alot/bottle things up and then go to sleep. Maybe have a drink in the meantime?

Reading your posts make me hate Warrington

"

I have ptsd and GAD, so I suffer with worrying/anxiety anyway.

The issue for me is when I feel something it stays with me, i'm fully aware these manifestations aren't real however my body doesn't seem to agree and convinces me it's true.

Wow don't I sound crazy!

Why hate Warrington btw?

over a year ago

I suffered this while suffering PTSD. I would not sleep for days then when my body shut down and my mind shut down I would suffer these. Very scary, thought I was going out of my mind

over a year ago

Really sorry to hear that. I thought my anxiety use to be really bad, but I battled whatever I had on my own and never had help and even though I feel bad at times. Its no where near as bad as what it was and 99% of the time I am fine.

I just meant. When you experience it and you ain't feeling paralysed and you sense someone is in the room. Do you calm down a bit or how long does it take to calm down after someone has checked?

Sounds like anxious people have it and any form of alcohol makes it worse. Even when you feel fine. You don't sound crazy as many people have had this.

Hate seeing a woman suffer. Would have offered a big/long cwtch (that's a welsh version of a cuddle) until you feel much better, but Warrington is way to far to travel . So I hate it.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I sometimes wake up because I feel like I am falling it's weird

over a year ago

"Really sorry to hear that. I thought my anxiety use to be really bad, but I battled whatever I had on my own and never had help and even though I feel bad at times. Its no where near as bad as what it was and 99% of the time I am fine.

I just meant. When you experience it and you ain't feeling paralysed and you sense someone is in the room. Do you calm down a bit or how long does it take to calm down after someone has checked?

Sounds like anxious people have it and any form of alcohol makes it worse. Even when you feel fine. You don't sound crazy as many people have had this.

Hate seeing a woman suffer. Would have offered a big/long cwtch (that's a welsh version of a cuddle) until you feel much better, but Warrington is way to far to travel . So I hate it."

I have to have proof that there's no one there before I can calm down. That can take either someone else proving it to me or my rational side kicking in (which takes much longer)

virtual cuddles it is then but i'm ok with it, honestly its just part of life to me!!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I sometimes wake up because I feel like I am falling it's weird "

I have the falling in bed feeling as I drop off the sleep.

over a year ago

"Really sorry to hear that. I thought my anxiety use to be really bad, but I battled whatever I had on my own and never had help and even though I feel bad at times. Its no where near as bad as what it was and 99% of the time I am fine.

Hate seeing a woman suffer. Would have offered a big/long cwtch (that's a welsh version of a cuddle) until you feel much better, but Warrington is way to far to travel . So I hate it.

I have to have proof that there's no one there before I can calm down. That can take either someone else proving it to me or my rational side kicking in (which takes much longer)

virtual cuddles it is then but i'm ok with it, honestly its just part of life to me!!"

I meant of someone proves it to you and you know physically and mentally no one is there. Does that dream still shock you enough not to sleep? I think its your anxiety levels, which seems a bit strange as normally if your fine with your looks/appearance. That confidence normally spreads throughout your life. May I ask what you get anxious about? If you don't want to tell me that's fine. If you do, you can inbox me.

Maybe so, but not at the time of the dream, which is when I would have given them.

Post new Message to Thread