Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Alzheimer's and Hygiene

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There is an article in the Guardian about the report in the journal Evolution, Medicine and Public Health which has a theory that too much hygiene explains the increase in Alzheimer's in the West.

We have already had the increase in allergies theory based on too much hygiene and other autoimmune functions being affected.

So, should I stop cleaning to protect my brain?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Simple answer - no

Each week or month there seems to be an article about why people get diseases and what to do to stop or prevent them. This is then followed by a complete change a few months later.

I think the reality of it all is no one can understand or accept that the human body is already predisposed to get certain illnesses based on our DNA make up, and they take comfort in blaming something.

It's hard to accept but illness effects everyone and the types are down to our genetics.

over a year ago

If you have an 'agenda', you can make any research say what you want it to say...

Tbh it sounds a bit fanciful... but then they said that about those 'loonies' who said the World was round once....

ted.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

And, of course, the trick is to be ever so slightly less than definitive so you can play the 'give us more money and we'll tell you more' card.

over a year ago

"If you have an 'agenda', you can make any research say what you want it to say...

Tbh it sounds a bit fanciful... but then they said that about those 'loonies' who said the World was round once....

ted. "

I agree they can make statistics prove anything. I do however think chemicals in cleaning products etc have a lot to answer for.

over a year ago

It's just a rumour being spread about by scruffy people.

By *ollie_JCouple
over a year ago

London

Isn't there an old wives tale about eating a handful of muck as a infant to kick the immune response in

over a year ago

"Isn't there an old wives tale about eating a handful of muck as a infant to kick the immune response in"

There is and it appears to have some truth to it. We know from vaccination that exposure to a small dose of the bad thing kicks our immune system into working. We also know that a lot of the bad thing makes us really I'll or dead.

I wonder how much genetic predisposition is then adversely affected by modern concepts of super hygiene?

By *obbygggMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I think most Guardian readers have Alzheimer's in order to believe anything that rag prints.

over a year ago

"If you have an 'agenda', you can make any research say what you want it to say...

ted. "

I agree with your point on stats but I got the sense from the article that the agenda is finding solutions to Alzheimer's. There will be more stuff as it's dementia month. Alzheimer's Day is 21st.

As you know, dementia is important to me.

over a year ago

Or are these degenerative diseases, and here I include the likes of MND, Parkinson's and cancer, a result of modern medical advances which keep us all alive longer than nature intended? Most people 100 or so years ago died in their 50's . Before other wasting illness had a chance to get established. So perhaps cleaning products are indirectly the cause as the prevent other, now more rare illness like typhoid, TB etc

over a year ago

"Or are these degenerative diseases, and here I include the likes of MND, Parkinson's and cancer, a result of modern medical advances which keep us all alive longer than nature intended? Most people 100 or so years ago died in their 50's . Before other wasting illness had a chance to get established. So perhaps cleaning products are indirectly the cause as the prevent other, now more rare illness like typhoid, TB etc"

I have been thinking about that too. The study that is being reported looked at disease in developing countries and the developed countries to analyse prevalence. Living longer is definitely a factor.

Thee and me had better take our peaceful pills now given our ages.

over a year ago

New slant on dirty minds

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I think most Guardian readers have Alzheimer's in order to believe anything that rag prints."

You prefer the 'Diana killed by ex- SAS illegal immigrant paedophile' sorta headlines, eh?

Post new Message to Thread