Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Banger Racing......The best cars to use

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Further to my thread of...............

The most troublesome car you ever bought................................

Just thought I would mention a few of the best cars I used to race and it said a lot how tough these cars were , if you have ever been banger racing then you will know why they had to be tough .

Ford Granada

Any Triumph car

Ford Cortina

Any old rover

Any old Vauxhall

Old London Taxi's

In fact anything that was old and manufactured before 1980, the above were favourites of us drivers especially the Triumph and Granada's

Todays noddy cars wouldn't stand one shunt and just fold up like a pack of cards that's what they are supposed to do in a crash !!.

The good ol days

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

trust me its a mk1 or 2 ford granada with a v6 race engine...... end of !!

over a year ago

"trust me its a mk1 or 2 ford granada with a v6 race engine...... end of !! "

with you on that one.

By *wingerdelightCouple
over a year ago

eastliegh

Used to know a gut who did this and he swore by old jags

over a year ago

"Used to know a gut who did this and he swore by old jags"

Old jags had a tendency to break down often so many racers steered clear of them...

over a year ago

"Used to know a gut who did this and he swore by old jags"

if your in the know a granada driver knows exactly where to hit a big xj6 and snap in 2.

ok i will let the cat out the bag,i love banger racing,the atmosphere,the brutality,the colour,the noise,the smell of petrol in the pits from the cars revving up,the preparation of the cars and i love watching ford granadas smashing things up like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xc-gdC60gI

over a year ago

"Further to my thread of...............

Just thought I would mention a few of the best cars I used to race and it said a lot how tough these cars were , if you have ever been banger racing then you will know why they had to be tough .

Ford Granada

Any Triumph car

Ford Cortina

Any old rover

Any old Vauxhall

Old London Taxi's

In fact anything that was old and manufactured before 1980, the above were favourites of us drivers especially the Triumph and Granada's

Todays noddy cars wouldn't stand one shunt and just fold up like a pack of cards that's what they are supposed to do in a crash !!.

The good ol days"

At hendnesford Birmingham I saw several times Rolls Royce cars racing possibly with the engine taken out and a Volvo engine in, so I have been told london guys raced these often,and once even saw a hearse being raced

over a year ago

old fords like the granada and cortina make great banger cars but getting very hard to find now and prices for them have gone through the roof .best car to banger race has to be the volvo

over a year ago

the rollers i have seen run granada suspension or sometimes old toyota and a race ford essex.

i have seen teams like the Warlords cars very close up in action in the pits and the level of prep that goes into welding the cars up is very scary,you would not want to be hit by a Warlord jag that has welding better than the qe2 keeping it and the roll cage together

over a year ago

Ford Granada

Any Triumph car

Ford Cortina

Any old rover

Any old Vauxhall

Old London Taxi's

The good ol days"

I gave up racing in 1993 but still go to meetings often and still tip my hat to the guts and bravery of todays drivers and miss getting behind the wheel for one last race .......might take it up again who knows

over a year ago

"the rollers i have seen run granada suspension or sometimes old toyota and a race ford essex.

i have seen teams like the Warlords cars very close up in action in the pits and the level of prep that goes into welding the cars up is very scary,you would not want to be hit by a Warlord jag that has welding better than the qe2 keeping it and the roll cage together "

At the track where I used to race we were split by welded and unwelded races to ensure being fair , as you say you wouldn't want to get a shunt from a welded car up the back .....consider your race over .

over a year ago

A fucking Volvo

over a year ago

i have seen loads of hearses being raced,i will find a vid with a few in,you have never lived unless you have seen a daimler ds420 going sideways flatout around hednesford hills lol

ok here is a race i was at,if i was brave i'd stick up a pic of me standing next to one of the jags that smashed anything in its way hearses included

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJIzYdRbz9s

over a year ago

"old fords like the granada and cortina make great banger cars but getting very hard to find now and prices for them have gone through the roof .best car to banger race has to be the volvo "

ebay for any borderline project ends up getting raced,also some of the cars are stolen as most banger racers have access to a flat bed lo loader with a hiab and taking them is 30 seconds tops if you know what ya doing,thats the sad part when someones pride and joy gets raced like that.

anyway volvos are good but people keep back the grannys for the big meets with the best prize money

over a year ago

Early 70's merc rust free would be my choice. Made to last and near built proof.

over a year ago

A bulldozer?

over a year ago

A Lads Riva!....yes, they're slow and don't handle well but have you seen how thick the panels are on them?! If you put a turret on one it would classify as a tank!

over a year ago

"A Lads Riva!....yes, they're slow and don't handle well but have you seen how thick the panels are on them?! If you put a turret on one it would classify as a tank!"

Bloody autocarrot...*Lada Riva*

over a year ago

Ford Granada

Any Triumph car

Ford Cortina

Any old rover

Any old Vauxhall

Old London Taxi's

The good ol days

At hendnesford Birmingham I saw several times Rolls Royce cars racing possibly with the engine taken out and a Volvo engine in, so I have been told london guys raced these often,and once even saw a hearse being raced "

My mate is prepping a roller to race at Essex raceway with a jag lump in it. Sold the brightwork and other parts for more than the car cost

over a year ago

Ford Granada

Any Triumph car

Ford Cortina

Any old rover

Any old Vauxhall

Old London Taxi's

The good ol days

At hendnesford Birmingham I saw several times Rolls Royce cars racing possibly with the engine taken out and a Volvo engine in, so I have been told london guys raced these often,and once even saw a hearse being raced

My mate is prepping a roller to race at Essex raceway with a jag lump in it. Sold the brightwork and other parts for more than the car cost"

There is a great trade in rolls parts just go in to google and see what prices they want for a silver shadow grille.

over a year ago

Ford capri there built like a tank

over a year ago

"Ford capri there built like a tank "

Speaking of tanks.....there used to be a guy who had a London taxi he only used to bring it out in the "destruction derby" as it was very slow due to being stuck in 1 st gear but that ol bus went on year after year and that was really built like a tank

over a year ago

In my day I used to race Austin cambridge and Morris oxfords in Dover. they were great in there time.strong,and if I had a mg magnette that was the bees knees for racing.strong and power,twin carbs job.tame to later day cars.but just as much fun.

over a year ago

"In my day I used to race Austin cambridge and Morris oxfords in Dover. they were great in there time.strong,and if I had a mg magnette that was the bees knees for racing.strong and power,twin carbs job.tame to later day cars.but just as much fun."

Those cars today are like ..hens teeth..mainly because the spares are so valuable to enthusiasts to keep theirs on the road.And also and I may be wrong on this but pre 1960 doesn't attract an mot now a days !!!!!.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'd want to use Christine.

She would drive herself, meaning I could sit and read my book and she repairs herself when she moves.

I'm not sure she would qualify or whether Stephen King would sue my arse

over a year ago

"I'd want to use Christine.

She would drive herself, meaning I could sit and read my book and she repairs herself when she moves.

I'm not sure she would qualify or whether Stephen King would sue my arse "

over a year ago

"Ford capri there built like a tank

Speaking of tanks.....there used to be a guy who had a London taxi he only used to bring it out in the "destruction derby" as it was very slow due to being stuck in 1 st gear but that ol bus went on year after year and that was really built like a tank "

How can a taxi be built like a tank, the bodies are fiberglass

over a year ago

Speaking of tanks.....there used to be a guy who had a London taxi he only used to bring it out in the "destruction derby" as it was very slow due to being stuck in 1 st gear but that ol bus went on year after year and that was really built like a tank

How can a taxi be built like a tank, the bodies are fiberglass "

His taxi was built 1963.......... end of.

over a year ago

anyone else ever been to hednesford for the classics,i love a bit of pre 68 banging in more ways than one.

these classics are gonna get smashed one way or the other and i'm only too pleased to watch them.

And for what its worth i have owned capris cortinas and ford granadas and i would never want to be in a capri or cortina and have a loony in a granny heading for me kamakazi stylee

By *illwill69uMan
over a year ago

moston

A Humber Pig would be a real winner every time.

over a year ago

The americans banned the chrysler imperial 64-66 from competing in banger races as it just kept on going.

over a year ago

How can a taxi be built like a tank, the bodies are fiberglass

His taxi was built 1963.......... end of."

To try some of the things that go on in banger racing is to test what nerve and courage you have ....ie to hit someone head on at speed or roll over land back on four wheels and carry on always draws applause from the crowds.

The adrenalin rush is unbelievable and I miss it !!.

Anyone who has banger raced knows what I am on about and anyone who hasn't then try it......you might like it.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/09/13 18:55:47]

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 04/09/13 18:56:17]

Post new Message to Thread