Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dog owners.What breed and why

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

We have an English pointer. They are a great companion love people, and have such a tolerant nature.Our kids love her

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ub bbwWoman
over a year ago

oldbury

Im looking to get a puggle i dont have a big house but have a garden i want one for companionship and one that is good with familes plus they look so cute with those wrinkles

By *adybee77Woman
over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

Border terriers, cute, wee dogs, loads of personality, good with kids. And just adorable hairy, and then handsome stripped out too!

By *ike74Man
over a year ago

newport

Collie cross worked on farm at the time and he was ace.

Sadly passed on now sad days

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

English Bull Terrier cross...gorgeous, affectionate. Not the best at doing what he is told though.

By *ouple_m_and_jCouple
over a year ago

Darlington

We have two, a Staffy and Springer spaniel. Both were rescue dogs, one from the pound after seeing her broken and ready to be put down - Marcus melted... He'd have taken every dog if he could.

The other from a house where the owner wasn't looking after her, the spaniel was bored, untrained and unmanaged, she attacked one of the smaller dogs and caused some very nasty damage, Marcus took her away to train and fix - Jen never let her go back...

They're both amazing, if somewhat clingy. Holly, the staffy is Marcus's dog through and through, she falls apart when he's not around, Sasha is very much Jen's... Though Marcus is more controlling of her.

x

By *atcherofmyballsMan
over a year ago

hereford

Collie cross with alsatian. He was a rescue dog. Very intelligent, obedient and friendly. Miss his company.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Two Alsations here.

The first one was a Rescue, ex-Police dog (Saracen) he's 3.

Zeus is about 18 months.

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

Big fan of mongrels here.

Our first one was nearly 18yrs when he died, broke my heart.

Didn't have another until we doggy sat for a neighbour, then I knew I was ready for another relationship.

Our current dog is a council estate special, a big strong dog, fit as fuck and my best mate. He's 8yrs old now but still bounds about like a pup.

By *attooed HandymanMan
over a year ago

near you

Two Rhodesian Ridgebacks, soft as anything and fiercely loyal, will protect you and their property, I say their as everything belongs to them.

over a year ago

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Storm.

Rescued at 3 years, was one of the few dogs there that didn't bark at me, he walked over and pushed himself up against the bars so I could stroke him. I knew then he'd be going home with me.

I've met a lot of Staffies and he's one of the best, and I know most of them are great. Good with other dogs, people and kids. He's like my shadow and howls if I leave him with someone to look after him. He's been attacked twice once by a pit bull who he bit back and last week by a cat, the cat won. He didn't know what to do and ended up on his back kicking it off.

He's got conjunctivitis at the moment £48 to see a vet for eye drops that cost £6.50 online if you can get a prescription

By *ILLY aka SirslagWoman
over a year ago

Land of the Prince Bishops

yorkie cross had her since she was born and shes now 15 i cherish every day i have with her 3

over a year ago

i want a husky or mute or alsatian.....never owned a dog before tho....what u reckon guys?

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

Maltese / Lhasa Apso cross. Small (can fit through the cat flap), friendly, non yappy, totally devoted and loyal, cute as a button and non moulting (a BIG BIG plus!)

I've just bought a carrier for my bike so he can come with me as I 'try' to get fit

over a year ago

"i want a husky or mute or alsatian.....never owned a dog before tho....what u reckon guys?"

Had an Alaskan Husky a few years back - beautiful dog and great temperament but loses hair like nobodies business . Fostering a Labrador at the mo but the intended 2 weeks is already 4 weeks so who knows how long she'll be here

over a year ago

"i want a husky or mute or alsatian.....never owned a dog before tho....what u reckon guys?"

You'll have all the german shepherd owners telling you off for calling it an alsatian soon

Go and have a look at your local rescue place. There are loads of dogs looking for a good owner.

Mine came fully house trained and new some basic commands. I've taught him to roll over and play dead, a dog is never too old to learn new tricks...

over a year ago

"Maltese / Lhasa Apso cross. Small (can fit through the cat flap), friendly, non yappy, totally devoted and loyal, cute as a button and non moulting (a BIG BIG plus!)

I've just bought a carrier for my bike so he can come with me as I 'try' to get fit "

I bought a 'walky dog' for cycling. It's a detachable bar that clamps onto the seat post and keeps him beside you without having to hold the lead.

over a year ago

We had a wee black Scottish Terrier. First time we took him to the vet for his jabs we were told....bad choice, these wee dogs can make your life hell!!!

The exact opposite proved to be the truth. A loyal, friendly, fun wee pal that we all adored and sadly miss.

over a year ago

I have a blue pit pup and she is suffering with separation anexity at the moment

By *rsIdiotWoman
over a year ago

Bedworth

"I have a blue pit pup and she is suffering with separation anexity at the moment "

How? I thought it was illeagal to breed pitbulls in the UK

over a year ago

I have a cocker spaniel...my constant companion...walk miles together and he is always pleased to see me lol

over a year ago

I had a Lurcher from an animal sanctuary. He was my baby and it broke my heart to have to have him put down after 13 years I miss him like crazy and still get teary three years later. I'll never get another dog while I'm on my own. He was a star!

over a year ago

very small jack russel cross because small dogs are easier to look after.

we treat her like a baby and she acts like one, everyone who sees her makes a fuss of her. she carries a tennis ball in her mouth and takes it up to people for them to throw for her.

my son calls her sweep from sooty and sweep because she makes squeeking noises and meows like a cat.

she barks a lot at people who go past are gate and for some reason snarls at other dogs when she is on the lead.

By *ildOneIRLMan
over a year ago

Mid / North West

Recommend you do some Training if you do buy one, well worth it, GS are very inteligent & great dogs.

By *cottishsexgoddessWoman
over a year ago

Glenrothes

Rottweiler, who is 10 months old. Daft as a brush, very loving to all and proving to be an ambassador for his breed, because everyone just falls in love with him when they meet him. The only problem is he thinks he is a lap dog and my lap just isn't big enough! lol

over a year ago

Got a labrador/staff cross ....was a rescue dog ...very placid and very good with kids

By *harma and GregCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

I have Pomeranian he was rescued from a breeder and he is the best dog ever pretty much sits by my feet all day or on my lap so well behaved he's only bad habit is escaping now and then but I love him dearly and would kill for him as I nearly did! He is part of the family he goes everywhere with us he is beautiful

over a year ago

English bull terriers, loyal fun no body bothering you when you have one

over a year ago

King Charles cavalier x2 loyal placid and good foot warmers in the winter.one very quiet and one dived into our 6 foot Xmas tree doh

over a year ago

2 west highland terriers,,7 year old sisters ,,both very head strong dogs but both are so loving

By *wingerdelightCouple
over a year ago

eastliegh

"We have two, a Staffy and Springer spaniel. Both were rescue dogs, one from the pound after seeing her broken and ready to be put down - Marcus melted... He'd have taken every dog if he could.

The other from a house where the owner wasn't looking after her, the spaniel was bored, untrained and unmanaged, she attacked one of the smaller dogs and caused some very nasty damage, Marcus took her away to train and fix - Jen never let her go back...

They're both amazing, if somewhat clingy. Holly, the staffy is Marcus's dog through and through, she falls apart when he's not around, Sasha is very much Jen's... Though Marcus is more controlling of her.

x"

we also have a rescue staffy, the strangest but sweetest dog ive ever known

over a year ago

We have 3 sasha is a huskie she is 3 and is a big dope Trixie is the oldest she's 14 years old Labrador gone deaf and going blind and penny is a 4 year old cavalier King Charles and she is as thick as two short planks

over a year ago

With my ex I had two Golden Retrievers in succession, the second being the Great Nephew of the first. Lovely dogs, both 'Camrose's'. Faithful, good natured, and kept me fit too with all the walking! Used to love watching them sit, with their heads slopped in boy's laps when they came home from school, listening to all their troubles..

Had fourteen years with the first one, and the second will be eight in November, but not seen him for three years thanks to the ex doing a runner..

ted.

By *illow PimpMan
over a year ago

Midlothian

"Border terriers, cute, wee dogs, loads of personality, good with kids. And just adorable hairy, and then handsome stripped out too!"

By *eryBigGirlWoman
over a year ago

East Yorkshire

Sadly no longer with me but I had a Basset Hound for 12 years who was the most beautiful, placid' loving creature I've known. Ok so Bassets are the politicians of the dog world totally untrainable and only did what he wanted to do if he was going to get something out of it but I knew that before I got one and I'd have another to tomorrow. I miss having a dog in the house but my working hours stop me having another for the moment

over a year ago

Alsations are great.

So are Huskys.

If I could, I'd have a husky too.

Lack of space see.

One of mine is a rescue, he's only 3.

But for some reason I think he knows I rescued him cos I get a lot back from him.

Great dogs.

over a year ago

I've an Inuit..... Mal x German Shepard, trainable, loyal, submissive & amazing with kids & a staffy x terrier, same as but small

A house isn't a home without fur babies

over a year ago

" One of mine is a rescue, he's only 3.

But for some reason I think he knows I rescued him cos I get a lot back from him. "

I totally agree with that. Mine was about 7 or 8 months old and a rescue dog. He'd been badly treated, flea ridden, undernourished and skinny. Was picked up by a dog warden on the side of a road. He adored me lol and I had a hell of a lot back from him too!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I want a French bull dog they are so cute or a miniature English bull terrier. My Grandad used to breed normal sized ones. Lovely dogs.

over a year ago

I've got a Staffy/Rottweiler cross, always had a massive soft spot for Staffys and when we saw him at the dogs home I fell in love with him. Literally just wants to jump, lick and play with everyone, only 9 months old but he's a big fella for his age and I also love how he just completely proves the stereotypes of both Staffys and Rottweilers wrong!

over a year ago

Lab/collie cross he's a big dog but so loving to us but if anyone tried getting in god help them because I wouldn't

over a year ago

"I've got a Staffy/Rottweiler cross, always had a massive soft spot for Staffys and when we saw him at the dogs home I fell in love with him."

I like yours! I'm stealing it!

over a year ago

"I've got a Staffy/Rottweiler cross, always had a massive soft spot for Staffys and when we saw him at the dogs home I fell in love with him.

I like yours! I'm stealing it! "

Haha he's a beaut but no your not having him! Get ya own

over a year ago

"I've got a Staffy/Rottweiler cross, always had a massive soft spot for Staffys and when we saw him at the dogs home I fell in love with him.

I like yours! I'm stealing it!

Haha he's a beaut but no your not having him! Get ya own "

Pffft! Lack of space man! Lack of space.

By *li-robCouple
over a year ago

near thrapston

Ten stone english bull mastiff

over a year ago

I have one English bull terrier which is all white with a black patch on his right eye, he's solid muscle and weighs an absolute tonne!

By *eordie JoJoTV/TS
over a year ago

Newcastle

T cup chihauhua little bit bigger than a heinz tin of soup! But has the attitude of a great Dane

Spoilt rotten ...... My own fault

over a year ago

It's a great thread for anyone who's looking to get a dog but undecided what they want

By *ouple_SpondonCouple
over a year ago

Spondon

I used to have a shih tzu. Perfect for the lazy man!! An awesome cuddler too!!

over a year ago

I have two English Springer Spaniels. I work them as gun dogs and they're great with kids and as loyal as anything.

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

I'd love an Airdale Terrier

over a year ago

Engish Springer Spaniels or Cocker Spaniels. I am not keen on King Charles Spaniels, don't like their sticking out eyes.

I adore my 13 year old springer

over a year ago

"Engish Springer Spaniels or Cocker Spaniels. I am not keen on King Charles Spaniels, don't like their sticking out eyes.

I adore my 13 year old springer "

By *orkduoCouple
over a year ago

york

2 boxers ,one is the pup of the other,love them to bits ,so loyal and loving.

over a year ago

English pointer placid loving a great way to exercise never tire one out

over a year ago

I have a beagle, because he was a rescue dog, but he's perfect, apart from his snoring

over a year ago

"Two Alsations here.

"

over a year ago

japanese akita and a gs x akita. altho the woman at a dog classes says he is a belgium shep.

over a year ago

Folks used to breed English Setters....amazingly beautiful dogs thick as two short thick planks though.

I'm more of a cat person but if I did have a dog it would be a bull terrier or cocker spaniel I think.....but I love retired greyhounds and whippets too.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Cockapoos

lovely dogs

By *ammyjayneWoman
over a year ago

hull

Sight hounds all they way. Nothing better then a snoozing greyhound.

over a year ago

"I have a blue pit pup and she is suffering with separation anexity at the moment

How? I thought it was illeagal to breed pitbulls in the UK"

Lots of things are illegal in the UK, it doesn't stop them happening though.

If you get caught with a pitbull I'm fairly sure the dog will normally be returned to you. It will however have to be neutered and muzzled in public.

over a year ago

I wouldn't fancy publicly neutering a Pitt Bull every time I took it for a walk!...

over a year ago

"I wouldn't fancy publicly neutering a Pitt Bull every time I took it for a walk!... "

I wouldn't fancy doing it privately either...

From the ones I've known they're as good as any other dog, just very powerful. In the hands of a bad owner any dog can be dangerous and nasty.

I can't keep hold of my 21kg Staffie when I'm trying to get eye drops in at the moment. It's a struggle with two people.

over a year ago

"i want a husky or mute or alsatian.....never owned a dog before tho....what u reckon guys?

You'll have all the german shepherd owners telling you off for calling it an alsatian soon

Go and have a look at your local rescue place. There are loads of dogs looking for a good owner.

Mine came fully house trained and new some basic commands. I've taught him to roll over and play dead, a dog is never too old to learn new tricks..."

This ^^^

Four springers here

over a year ago

"I wouldn't fancy publicly neutering a Pitt Bull every time I took it for a walk!...

From the ones I've known they're as good as any other dog, just very powerful. In the hands of a bad owner any dog can be dangerous and nasty.

I can't keep hold of my 21kg Staffie when I'm trying to get eye drops in at the moment. It's a struggle with two people."

My parents had one, it was extremely well treated and cared for. Didn't stop it turning one day when my mum was drying her hair, she now has a huge chunk of muscle missing from her arm which required reconstructive surgery and over 60 stitches. She was desperate not to have it put down even after that and took it to a dog behavioral specialist who said pitbulls often just snap, its like a switch in their head and no one knows why, but once the switch has been flipped they'll keep doing it.

So its not always down to the owner, sometimes its down to the breed...

over a year ago

"I wouldn't fancy publicly neutering a Pitt Bull every time I took it for a walk!...

I can't keep hold of my 21kg Staffie when I'm trying to get eye drops in at the moment. It's a struggle with two people.

My parents had one, it was extremely well treated and cared for. Didn't stop it turning one day when my mum was drying her hair, she now has a huge chunk of muscle missing from her arm which required reconstructive surgery and over 60 stitches. She was desperate not to have it put down even after that and took it to a dog behavioral specialist who said pitbulls often just snap, its like a switch in their head and no one knows why, but once the switch has been flipped they'll keep doing it.

So its not always down to the owner, sometimes its down to the breed..."

I've never heard of something like that before, but then I've only ever known a couple of people with them.

By *arnsleycpl4uCouple
over a year ago

Barnsley

We have a Japanese Akita we love them ? Had them for 25 years they are so loyal and careing with are own kids and now with the grandkids very protective with them love them too bits

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

"japanese akita and a gs x akita. altho the woman at a dog classes says he is a belgium shep. "

Belgium Sheps look like long haired, black German Sheps, little skinnier too

over a year ago

"We have a Japanese Akita we love them ? Had them for 25 years they are so loyal and careing with are own kids and now with the grandkids very protective with them love them too bits "

By *erbycouple7Couple
over a year ago

derby

we have pim cross. shit zu x yorkie so naughty but wouldn't change him...but getting a pug in few days so fun starts. again lol

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

Had dogs most of my life but the 1 i want the most and never had....as yet ...is an alaskan malamute

By *UNKIEMan
over a year ago

south east

Before you even consider a dog especially 1 of those.....please read up on them ..learn everything you can about the breed before buying

over a year ago

When I was wee 3-18 we owned a collie he was my best mate! Had him since he was about 5weeks old and he used to keep me safe! Best breed id say for keeping my sisters in line! He has a fat tiger striped cat for a mate when we moved to the country and they passed within a month of each other the collie first from a heart attack then the cat from heart break :/ then my parents got another collie pup 10months old the 2nd most loving dog iv ever known! Hes gettibg better around my son but once I moved out they got a jack russell as well so my son plays with him while i get cuddles from the collie haha doesnt matter breed of dog its the upbringing

over a year ago

Pomeranian chihuahua called lola. Breed? because a friend didn't want her anymore and my children adored her so we took her. Best decision ever she's my furry baby. Her name because my children said if she could talk she would with a french accent (and it sounds kinda french) i get to sing a rendition of the Barry Manilow song every time I see her too. Bonza!

over a year ago

British timber dog, utonagon, northern inuit, inuit, alaskan malamute... sarloos, wolfdogs without the wolf content but with the wolf temprement.. loyal effectionate, timid, shy probably the best companion one could ask for, for a big cat owner that waned to try summin new...

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"English pointer placid loving a great way to exercise never tire one out"

over a year ago

1 black lab , massive but a lovely softy , 1 staff x jack Russell & 1 terrier .. pains up the arse but wouldn't part with them

By *andcCouple
over a year ago

London and Cheshire

2 Labradors, they have a great temperament and good with kids.

If anyone is thinking of keeping labs they do eat a lot and they will walk a million miles + a day, so do take a lot of time and effort to keep occupied, but you get a brilliant dog in return.

over a year ago

So its not always down to the owner, sometimes its down to the breed..."

I knew it wouldnt be long till the pit bull haters join the thread.

over a year ago

if you want an husky you have to take into consideration that they are very stubborn also very sensetive to soya or protein of vegetable origin, which makes them very difficult to feed with dry food, plus raws or meats can be very expensive. if you wanted something with the metabolism of a husky but a little bigger also alot less stubborn, "you could try an huskymute. they have the wonderful temprement and are very eager and keen to please. if you wanted to add alot of agility and intellegence into that mix you could try inuit, British timber, Utonagan, this is all the same mix GSD x Husky x Alaskan malamute, usually resembling a wolf, intellegent, shy, timid, eager and keen to please, speedy and agile very loyal and affectionate too!

over a year ago

An orange roan cocker spaniel. He's my best boy really

By *atelotmanMan
over a year ago

Chatham

I have a 6 month old Lab X Springer,all he wants to do is run an play all day.

over a year ago

I got my dad (for Father's Day) a Black and Tan (mainly tan) Jack Russell cross patter-dale.... Adorable!!

By *obbobeanMan
over a year ago

dagenham

Always had cross breeds growing up but my last 2 dogs were a Springer Spaniel, never had a more loyal and energetic dog in my life. Then just after he died the wife gave birth to our last child, so when he was 6 months old we got a Staff, brilliant family dog, I would recommend tat breed to any families

over a year ago

Got two 7 year old Westies,they are sisters Lilly & Rosie,excellent temprement,very active (not)

over a year ago

Cearns terrier like the wizard of dog.She was given to us for free.

over a year ago

German shep, and toy yorkie...I love german shepards but in this instance...they needed a home

over a year ago

I have a springer spaniel ex rescue dog and he's adorable, likes to think he's the boss tho lol until I put him right!

By *teveanddebsCouple
over a year ago

Norwich

Well I like big dogs and Debs likes small dogs so we have two Jack Russels.

A big dog in a small body

By *ubblyBlonde40FWoman
over a year ago

Mold

I have a German Shepherd.......my loyal companion when I'm working x

over a year ago

Border Collies every time.............born to work and love! I cried for a month when I had to put mine down. I took his ashes to Perranporth to let him run free forever!

over a year ago

We did have an American Bulldog and a German Shepherd, but sadly at the age of 13, the Shep had to be put to sleep, so now we have a Douge de Bordeaux as a companion to our American Bulldog

over a year ago

"We have an English pointer. They are a great companion love people, and have such a tolerant nature.Our kids love her"

We love lurchers. 5% of the time they are mad as a box of frogs. The rest of the time they are pretty lazy. Great temperament.

over a year ago

I had a german shephard who passed away at 3 yrs old due to a bad heart.

and also had a Japanese Akita also, But had to rehouse him as moved back home as mum had a dog and 2 cats. Cried me eyes out that day and remember it well even though some years ago now!

next dog id like is either a french bulldog or a pug! something smaller

over a year ago

Black Labrador-lazy f--ker-kids spoil it rotton, but it's a member of the family and wouldn;t be without her,--bit like the wife!!!,lol Joking.

over a year ago

Not currently got a dog but recently had a border collie, she was amazing. Very intelligent (sometimes too intelligent for her own good) very loyal she was like a mother to my sisters kids as in she went everywhee they went, kept an eye on them, she was also a brilliant guard dog.

over a year ago

We have a mini Dachshund called Monty, a nice little dog who thinks he's the size of a Doberman with a bark to match!

over a year ago

We've had 2 German Sheppards since we got together, the first one got cancer the 2nd one had to be put down because of a bowel condition about a month ago, both bloody brilliant dogs such loyal intelligent dogs,

We have had a little break from dogs but starting to look again now haven't think a homes a home without a dog, we will be looking for a mastiff this time, or something that sort of size, Mrs liddy wants a great Dane

over a year ago

I don't think a homes a home sorry for auto carrot

By *ess sexyWoman
over a year ago

Manchester

2 Cocker Spaniels. My little girls. Had them from birth, the only ones of the litter to survive. They're wonderful. Completely different personalities. One is a princess, the other a punk! They know when I'm ill or down, and take care of me in their own way. 11 years old now.

By *illyrocCouple
over a year ago

north west

[Removed by poster at 22/12/13 12:52:10]

By *illyrocCouple
over a year ago

north west

We have a dogue de Bordeaux turner n hooch dog he is just a dribbling thieving big soft loving bag of wrinkles with loads of personality

over a year ago

We have a few dogs as breed and show. Currently I'm looking rather wet and soggy after bathing two Lhasa apsos the other two (puppies) are now going in wish me luck haha

over a year ago

Border Terrier. He was my late partner's dog, and I decided to keep him as my own after his death.

Playful, stubborn, loyal and loves people and my cat.

I love BTs!

over a year ago

English springer bicth. because she likes a game bird ,just like us ,lol,x

over a year ago

american pitbull, cute, friendly and loyal

over a year ago

Boxer dog, loving, protective, great with kids and so dam cute.

Post new Message to Thread