Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

111 service

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone used it?

Ive not had to use it yet but I do refer some service users to it if they have any health issues.

Ive just watched a documentary about and shocked to see its a failing service in some parts of the country with control rooms understaffed, untrained and not having access to doctors/nurses.

It was supposes to relieve the 999 calls and free up A+E but apparently now people have lost faith in the 111 service and made A+E worse.

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences of using the service?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I haven't used it but the change from NHS Direct to break up the service across the country undermined all that had been done to create a system that was working. Reducing the payments by half was always going to mean that costs cutting would mean getting less qualified people in.

It was a good idea to have a simple number as the NHS Direct number was hard to remember.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Amateurs (call handlers) are always going to overreact and send an ambulance rather than run the risk of failing to assist someone who later goes on to die.

A&E units back up with cat scratch victims and insomniacs whilst genuinely ill people languish on trolleys in corridors.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

As a medical professional I and the majority of my colleagues hate it. Its dangerous, it has potential to be good if the staff on the other end of the phone are clinicians, nurses, paramedics etc. The system is floored

over a year ago

Yes I agree it has potential to be great but is it a case of the cheapest bidder got the contract?

One woman said she was asked 50 questions and in that time she had dehidrated and nearly had kidney failure ( not sure why she wouldnt get a drink or just ring 999 if she was so poorley) I have to ring 999 lots of times in my job and even the 999 service dont ask that many questions!

over a year ago

From what I've heard people might be better off dialling 118 !

over a year ago

"Yes I agree it has potential to be great but is it a case of the cheapest bidder got the contract?

One woman said she was asked 50 questions and in that time she had dehidrated and nearly had kidney failure ( not sure why she wouldnt get a drink or just ring 999 if she was so poorley) I have to ring 999 lots of times in my job and even the 999 service dont ask that many questions!"

Yeah I watched that and thought to myself, if you knew you were that ill then you wouldn't be faffing about talking to 111!!

over a year ago

In our area the non emergency police number is 101 so with 111 and 118 all these easy to remember numbers are going to get confusing!

Post new Message to Thread