Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Wages Down

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There is a piece in the business section of the Guardian stating that almost 80% of jobs created in the UK in the last 3 years pay below £7.95 an hour. At the same time business investment as a share of national output has fallen from 8% to 5%.

Lord Turner, a former head of the Financial Services Authority, says that it looks almost certain that living standards will be lower in 2017 than they were in 2007 and this will be only the second full decade since the dawn of the industrial age in which people are worse off (the other was 1895-1905).

Meanwhile, HR Magazine reports that a job sites figures reveal that the average wage is down by £1,670 in a year and highlighting regional differences in the number of people seeking a job to roles available.

Then there is the new cost of taking a case of unfair dismissal, which comes into force today. If you're not in a Union (Unite pledging to cover the cost) then it will cost you between £160 and £250 to issue the claim and £230 to £950 for the unfair dismissal hearing.

Why are people being complacent about this?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What is the minimum wage these days?

I don't even know what it is?..

over a year ago

U get 6.08 an hour for 16 hours a week my wages at the end of the month is just over 450.00 some times I struggle but I do also get other help but even those have taken a cut as well xx

over a year ago

Union membership seems to be in decline! Not sure if its an age thing - although I've never been in one myself - if I ever found myself in a position where I felt unfairly dismissed I'm confident I'd be able to argue my own case!

Maybe it's the change in the culture of there not being 'jobs for life' anymore? As people become more itinerant in their working lives and are often happier to change companies/roles they don't feel the need to belong to a specific union?

As for the lack of business investment? There's a mentality in many industries at the moment of hoarding cash and profits 'in case of emergency', due to regulatory changes (particularly in the finance industry) and a feeling that its better to be safe than sorry. All the tax breaks and new schemes the government has created have yet to motivate heads of industry to take a chance on investing for the future - almost a catch 22 situation! A lack of investment will stifle recovery and prevent new job opportunities but too much risky investment could leave businesses open to potential risks, financial difficulties and therefore potential redundancies!!

Can't see an easy solution myself - but would be good to see some big name businesses taking a chance rather than being fearful of the future! And if anyone wants to invest some dosh in a new venture - it would be great to have a 'Cupids 2' a little further south!!

over a year ago

Lickety, your bedroom conversation's a little too much for me

over a year ago

"What is the minimum wage these days?

I don't even know what it is?.."

Currently it's:

£2.65 if you are an apprentice; £3.68 if you are under 18; £4.98 for 18-20; and £6.19 for over 21.

From October it will rise to £2.68, £3.72, £5.03 and £6.31 respectively.

The national minimum wage is not the same as the living wage. There are different rates for each region depending on costs. It's £8.55 for London. No employer is required to pay the living wage but they are required to pay the NMW.

As you can see there is a substantial difference between the NMW and what it costs to be able to live in London (£2.24 per hour). Most low paid jobs are on NMW and not that many yet on the Living Wage.

over a year ago

"Lickety, your bedroom conversation's a little too much for me "

It's why my selection process is so stringent. I do blather on about stuff like this in bed too. Some men find it a turn-on.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Lickety, your bedroom conversation's a little too much for me

It's why my selection process is so stringent. I do blather on about stuff like this in bed too. Some men find it a turn-on."

Haha whilst doing the crossword on your back.

over a year ago

"Union membership seems to be in decline! Not sure if its an age thing - although I've never been in one myself - if I ever found myself in a position where I felt unfairly dismissed I'm confident I'd be able to argue my own case!

Maybe it's the change in the culture of there not being 'jobs for life' anymore? As people become more itinerant in their working lives and are often happier to change companies/roles they don't feel the need to belong to a specific union?

As for the lack of business investment? There's a mentality in many industries at the moment of hoarding cash and profits 'in case of emergency', due to regulatory changes (particularly in the finance industry) and a feeling that its better to be safe than sorry. All the tax breaks and new schemes the government has created have yet to motivate heads of industry to take a chance on investing for the future - almost a catch 22 situation! A lack of investment will stifle recovery and prevent new job opportunities but too much risky investment could leave businesses open to potential risks, financial difficulties and therefore potential redundancies!!

Can't see an easy solution myself - but would be good to see some big name businesses taking a chance rather than being fearful of the future! And if anyone wants to invest some dosh in a new venture - it would be great to have a 'Cupids 2' a little further south!! "

The element of charging for unfair dismissal claims affects lower wage workers disproportionately. I haven't ever seen a tribunal case list full with lots of chancer cases from lower paid workers. These tend to come from higher wage earners as the rewards if successful are more, erm... rewarding.

If you're a higher earner then you can probably afford the £1,200 to make a claim.

over a year ago

"Lickety, your bedroom conversation's a little too much for me

It's why my selection process is so stringent. I do blather on about stuff like this in bed too. Some men find it a turn-on.

Haha whilst doing the crossword on your back. "

No, they need to concentrate on me!!!

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Union membership seems to be in decline! Not sure if its an age thing - although I've never been in one myself - if I ever found myself in a position where I felt unfairly dismissed I'm confident I'd be able to argue my own case!

..........."

Union membership isn't just about getting support at Tribunals. Employees, union members or not, get the benefit of improved terms and conditions fought for and won by unions and their members without paying union dues.

By *ancs MinxWoman
over a year ago

Burnley

Can't see an easy solution myself - but would be good to see some big name businesses taking a chance rather than being fearful of the future! And if anyone wants to invest some dosh in a new venture - it would be great to have a 'Cupids 2' a little further south!! "

Maybe some people off here should club together and set up cupids 2, you cant have my local sat night club...lol nice to see you at cupids sat night anyway, with your wig on...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Why are people being complacent about this?"

some will believe the hype behind the headline that this will lead to a drop in 'vexatious' cases at the ET..

in reality this will benefit some employers who like to ride roughshod over their staff..

said it before that unlike the late 70's / early 80's when there was a feeling amongst many in society that change was needed and not just working folk..

there seems to be a lack of any 'rage against the machine', however that is portrayed..

apathy perhaps..?

over a year ago

I've been a union member for 15 years and in that time I have never needed them for anything and they have went to having clout to next to no clout negoiating pay deals, dusciplinaries etc....your major firms are now so switched on legally these days they've covered everything leaving unions no option.

Also the union reps/shop stewards I've known the old skool ones were great the new skool are normally trouble makers,lacking intelligence, enjoy the status of union rep but next to useless,generally be awkward just for the sake of it.

Businesses will always find someone who'll do your job for less, more hours etc etc, its just the way of the world (in my eyes)

Keep your nose clean at work, look after number 1 no one else will.

just my 2p

over a year ago

in Lancashire

if your current Rep's are as you say, stand against them and do it how you see it should be done..?

just a thought..

over a year ago

A good point....ive got no intention in becoming a rep/voice for the ppl... Its an unwanted target on your back

over a year ago

"A good point....ive got no intention in becoming a rep/voice for the ppl... Its an unwanted target on your back "

That's one reason for all the rest too.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"A good point....ive got no intention in becoming a rep/voice for the ppl... Its an unwanted target on your back "

but you are happy for others to take that role on your behalf..?

still, as long as you support them eh..

over a year ago

The way I see it, if your man enough to get into a situation your man enough to get out, union or not

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"The way I see it, if your man enough to get into a situation your man enough to get out, union or not"

you don't have any female Reps then..

By *rumCoupleCouple
over a year ago

birmingham

"

Jeremy Kyle still on ? Royal baby christened yet ? Any more paedo news ? Someone getting jailed over twitter ?

As long as you can fill the top half of your media with dross like that, who cares what goes below the fold ?

Anyway, pretty soon, thanks to the new cleaned up internet, you won't be able to find any news the government don't like - for your own well being, you understand.

By *rishmochaMan
over a year ago

Herts

"There is a piece in the business section of the Guardian stating that almost 80% of jobs created in the UK in the last 3 years pay below £7.95 an hour. At the same time business investment as a share of national output has fallen from 8% to 5%.

Lord Turner, a former head of the Financial Services Authority, says that it looks almost certain that living standards will be lower in 2017 than they were in 2007 and this will be only the second full decade since the dawn of the industrial age in which people are worse off (the other was 1895-1905).

Meanwhile, HR Magazine reports that a job sites figures reveal that the average wage is down by £1,670 in a year and highlighting regional differences in the number of people seeking a job to roles available.

Then there is the new cost of taking a case of unfair dismissal, which comes into force today. If you're not in a Union (Unite pledging to cover the cost) then it will cost you between £160 and £250 to issue the claim and £230 to £950 for the unfair dismissal hearing.

I heard a comment on 5live that 23% of tribunal's brought by an employee sided towards the employer. But that still means 67% were still correctly put forward, an sure that if the employee was forced to pay £1k just to put their case forward, they wouldn't bother. It looks like this government is only interested in legal justice for those that can afford and now days that is getting fewer.

over a year ago

"

Why are people being complacent about this?

I heard a comment on 5live that 23% of tribunal's brought by an employee sided towards the employer. But that still means 67% were still correctly put forward, an sure that if the employee was forced to pay £1k just to put their case forward, they wouldn't bother. It looks like this government is only interested in legal justice for those that can afford and now days that is getting fewer. "

Minister Matthew Hancock MP twatted that £1,200 is a moderate charge for making a claim against unfair dismissal.

It's moderate if you have that as disposable income with no other income coming in because you have lost your job or have had a pay off to leave. Not so moderate for the majority of people.

over a year ago

"The way I see it, if your man enough to get into a situation your man enough to get out, union or not"

Man enough to get yourself out of an unfair dismissal or having your salary reduced? I don't understand.

over a year ago

"The way I see it, if your man enough to get into a situation your man enough to get out, union or not

Man enough to get yourself out of an unfair dismissal or having your salary reduced? I don't understand."

Get your own business going? Pay your own wages then!!

I watched Deuce Bigalow got some real inspiration.

over a year ago

"The way I see it, if your man enough to get into a situation your man enough to get out, union or not

Man enough to get yourself out of an unfair dismissal or having your salary reduced? I don't understand.

I watched Deuce Bigalow got some real inspiration. "

I am self employed. If everyone is self employed then a lot of the things we consider work won't be organised or delivered efficiently. Working for one client on regular hours classes you as employed by HMRC.

over a year ago

I watched Deuce Bigalow got some real inspiration.

I am self employed. If everyone is self employed then a lot of the things we consider work won't be organised or delivered efficiently. Working for one client on regular hours classes you as employed by HMRC.

"

Come on, let the Big Man take you out for a pint, we'll put all this employment stuff to rights

By *ammyDodgaMan
over a year ago

Nottingham/and everywhere my location says i am ;)

Lickerty is right.. It's a mind field being self employed now, the primary contractor I did a lot of work for had to let me go due to HMRC investigation.

I got investigated as I'd do possibly 30hrs a month for them, HMRC told them I had to be employed if it carried on longer than 13 weeks.. It's bollocks, I lost stability blanket so to speak, they lost a ( in my opinion ) damn good subbie

over a year ago

"

What else can "people" do?

What are you suggesting they should do?

A job's a job at the end of the day.

Post new Message to Thread