Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Bicarbonate of soda.

Jump to newest

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Despite rumours to the contrary, I've not actually been sitting on my backside since I got home enjoying the view and the aircon - I've done a bit of domestic stuff including chucking some bicarb down the kitchen sink plughole.

It smells worse now than before.

Any other suggestions?

TIA.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I just put bleach down mine

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

my initial thoughts was of 'seagulls'

over a year ago

"Despite rumours to the contrary, I've not actually been sitting on my backside since I got home enjoying the view and the aircon - I've done a bit of domestic stuff including chucking some bicarb down the kitchen sink plughole.

It smells worse now than before.

Any other suggestions?

TIA."

Mr Muscle ?

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I just put bleach down mine"

I'll give that a go next.

I had a look with a view to taking it apart and it's got an inlet from the washing machine attached

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Go outside, lift the grid cover, clean it.

Most smells come from outside NOT down the plughole which is washed with hot soapy water each time you do the dishes.

Did you force a frog down it or something ?

over a year ago

Try the bleach down the plug hole and run the washer on the hottest setting with some bleach with the bleach option set. That should work.

over a year ago

"Go outside, lift the grid cover, clean it.

Most smells come from outside NOT down the plughole which is washed with hot soapy water each time you do the dishes.

Did you force a frog down it or something ?"

If its the drain get some caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) follow the instructions and that will clean it up.

over a year ago

"I just put bleach down mine

I had a look with a view to taking it apart and it's got an inlet from the washing machine attached "

Be careful when mixing or pouring one agent on top of another. You could get a Big Bang

over a year ago

maybe uve snorted the bicarbsoda? on purpose or by accident

over a year ago

does bicarbsoda like carbsoda?...just might be an interesting meet..

can bicarb play straight?

over a year ago

An outside smell from a sink drain outlet should not get past the U bend trap that should be attached directly under the sink waste and is designed to retain sufficient fluid to prevent smells returning back though the system…

I’d suggest pouring a good quantity of neat bleach down the plug-hole and also squirting some down the sink overflows orifice, then leave it to soak for an hour or two before flushing with fresh water…

over a year ago

"I just put bleach down mine

I had a look with a view to taking it apart and it's got an inlet from the washing machine attached

Be careful when mixing or pouring one agent on top of another. You could get a Big Bang "

Mmmmm love big bangs

over a year ago

also check for dead rats

By *ackandkateCouple
over a year ago

Truro

We keep a plunger handy in case our u bends whiff a bit

over a year ago

I am seriously worried how your gonna get that y bloke - mr muscle down the plug hole cos I doubt a) he's gonna fit and b) he'll go in willingly but ... Who knows?

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"I am seriously worried how your gonna get that y bloke - mr muscle down the plug hole cos I doubt a) he's gonna fit and b) he'll go in willingly but ... Who knows? "

That's why you have a shotgun to hand

over a year ago

ok then.i know exactly how to unblock stuff as our irish friends demonstrate perfectly........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zv-VB4BBqw

By *coobyroo218Couple
over a year ago

Guernsey

"An outside smell from a sink drain outlet should not get past the U bend trap that should be attached directly under the sink waste and is designed to retain sufficient fluid to prevent smells returning back though the system…

I’d suggest pouring a good quantity of neat bleach down the plug-hole and also squirting some down the sink overflows orifice, then leave it to soak for an hour or two before flushing with fresh water…

"

This

over a year ago

This is brought to you by Sox diy tip of the day,,,

It’s a very simple task to release the hand tight plastic compresions fitting that secure a sink U-bend in place,,,

Once removed it can be checked for slime and gunk build-up which can then easily be washed off in a bucket before replacing the clean U bend .....

By *nny OP   Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I've probably tried too many different chemicals for one day so I'll flush it regularly, leave it overnight and attack in again tomorrow.

Thanks all so far.

over a year ago

"An outside smell from a sink drain outlet should not get past the U bend trap that should be attached directly under the sink waste and is designed to retain sufficient fluid to prevent smells returning back though the system…

"

This is correct but things can become stuck within the U bend (water trap) it traps gases not water

Boil the kettle and two/three pans of water. Run the hot water tap, this means the water in the trap will not be cold, pour the boiling water into the sink.

All the fats solidified soaps, powders, liquids will melt and loosen as the scalding water runs through the plumbing.

This method is especially useful for semi blocked baths/showers.

Remove any frogs or little y men beforehand.

over a year ago

"I am seriously worried how your gonna get that y bloke - mr muscle down the plug hole cos I doubt a) he's gonna fit and b) he'll go in willingly but ... Who knows?

That's why you have a shotgun to hand "

Who in their right mind is gonna let me and a shotgun in the same county let alone close to hand???? Have u lost your marbles now???

over a year ago

I'm sure mixing it with water and drinking a bit is used by some to clean your insides out before anal, a cheap lax

over a year ago

"ok then.i know exactly how to unblock stuff as our irish friends demonstrate perfectly........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zv-VB4BBqw

"

Seriously though ^^^^^ this is probably your best bet.....

over a year ago

Best plan is to move to a new house

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

"I am seriously worried how your gonna get that y bloke - mr muscle down the plug hole cos I doubt a) he's gonna fit and b) he'll go in willingly but ... Who knows? "

Well its a lot easier than forcing a hugh hunk down the plug hole.

over a year ago

"also check for dead rats"

^this.

When what your describing happens and all else fails..normally a rodent had died down there and/or a drainage pipe.

Obviously I could go in to graphic detail but..you know, I won't.

over a year ago

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Post new Message to Thread