Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Hair dye...

Jump to newest

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Okay ladies (and gents?) I need help!

After being in a shop changing room at lunchtime and seeing the two tone colour of my hair at the back, I have decided I'm going to do the home dyeing thing with my whole mop... I usually just paint in my roots to cover the grey.

It's years since I've dyed the whole lot myself and I looked in Boots but there are so many kits and I have so much hair I need to buy two. Its a sort of chocolate brown colour at the moment but it's quite light at the ends, I'd like it to be all the same colour.

Any recommendations?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not a clue about dyes. But a word of warning to the guys! Boredom and hair clippers DO NOT mix well! Just cut my own hair and it isn't a pretty sight.

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Not a clue about dyes. But a word of warning to the guys! Boredom and hair clippers DO NOT mix well! Just cut my own hair and it isn't a pretty sight. "

Why do you have hair clippers if you don't know how to use them?

So you don't dye it too then?

over a year ago

"Okay ladies (and gents?) I need help!

After being in a shop changing room at lunchtime and seeing the two tone colour of my hair at the back, I have decided I'm going to do the home dyeing thing with my whole mop... I usually just paint in my roots to cover the grey.

It's years since I've dyed the whole lot myself and I looked in Boots but there are so many kits and I have so much hair I need to buy two. Its a sort of chocolate brown colour at the moment but it's quite light at the ends, I'd like it to be all the same colour.

Any recommendations?

"

Choose the colour you want. Make sure that it is as dark as you have already or you will end up with different shades. Your best bet is go to a salon. Many times we have had to fix disasters from box colours.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Well Dirty Girl, in glad you asked, as I have been waiting for a chance to provide advice on this subject.

I would recommend going for the Jacobean Walnut shade in a satin finish.

Remove any flaky skin, make sure you have a good rub down and blow all the dust out of your ears first.

over a year ago

I use Clairol Nice an Easy on my 'natural' blonde hair! It highlights so not a block of colour. I used to have foils done ever six weeks but it was costing a fortune so I do it myself now. My hair is very short though and I now cut it myself too. Some of us can use clippers lol

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Choose the colour you want. Make sure that it is as dark as you have already or you will end up with different shades. Your best bet is go to a salon. Many times we have had to fix disasters from box colours."

Yeah I generally mix the dye myself but every time I do that it goes so dark. I'm using Koleston 66/0 for my roots and I use Colour Touch 5/0 for the rest, or i did last time but it comes out too dark... I guess it's better to do that than a shop kit though?

over a year ago

"Choose the colour you want. Make sure that it is as dark as you have already or you will end up with different shades. Your best bet is go to a salon. Many times we have had to fix disasters from box colours.

Yeah I generally mix the dye myself but every time I do that it goes so dark. I'm using Koleston 66/0 for my roots and I use Colour Touch 5/0 for the rest, or i did last time but it comes out too dark... I guess it's better to do that than a shop kit though? "

Yeah. When mixing two colours choose one half a shade lighter as they will come out dark. Best to try and get 2 of same colours ie L'Oréal or joico wella etc. If possible have a look at a colour chart but remember those show the colours from a set base colour. Can Make a big difference when going lighter or applying to grey.

Hope this makes sense x

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

My best tip is to have a girlie night in and get a friend to apply it for you to get even coverage.

By *all-Eddies QosCouple
over a year ago

wirral

I would go with a semi permanent.....dying the whole lot everytime dries your hair out

Casting does lovely chocolate dyes xxxxx

By *irtyGirl OP   Woman
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Ryan thank you... best advice ever!!

I think maybe the girlie night tip is a good plan... I never get the grey at the back and I just think fuck it, I can't see it!!

Thank you lovelies... x

over a year ago

I love xxl live colour i think its bittersweet chocolate

over a year ago

Don't dye my hair..... My daughter seems to think I look great and distinguished looking...... Grey in other words lol

over a year ago

Top tips!

Never go more than two shades either way (lighter or darker) than your natural hair, otherwise you won't get the 'natural' finish! If in doubt, see your hairdresser who can assess your hair type/condition

Opt for a oil based colour to lock in colour and shine

If colouring your own make sure when you go through your sections you cover ALL your roots - otherwise you'll have odd patches without realising!

Also always allow plenty to cover your hair length Or again you'll have odd patches/streaks

(if like my you have tons of hair you'll have two boxes to play with!)

After care - go for colour friendly shampoo/conditioners. Some brands (such as head & shoulders) can contain chemicals that strip colourant from hair and cause the hair to become damaged!

Sorry - sold hair dye/products for a while now

over a year ago

Nice And Easy do a Lovely Chocolate Brown one. It only took 20 mins to cover my Blonde. Unfortunatly I don't suit being a Brunette x

Post new Message to Thread