Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Snooping/snitching/busybodying

Jump to newest

By *rumCouple OP   Couple
over a year ago

birmingham

The current so-hot-it's-a-substitute-for-nuclear-power topic "Benefit fraud" appears to have wandered slightly into other areas. Primarily about how far we should stick our noses into other peoples businesses. And that reminded us of an incident a while ago which got us talking ...

we were driving along listening to local radio, which was having a "debate" over the hand-car washes that are springing up everywhere. Unfortunately for the presenter, there wasn't really a debate as such. Every single caller praised hand car washes as convenient, better than machines, and hey-wow, it's great to see people working for a living.

Then the presenter, in a chat with a phone caller, gave a slight sniff and said "you know my worry about these hand washes ... I mean how do I know they're paying tax ?"

Now, our reaction (out loud) was "what business is that of yours ?" (well maybe a tad stronger).

Curious as to Fabs opinions.

Just for the sake of clarity (feel free to ignore ) we are not talking about reporting a known crime or offence. Simply the rather distasteful suggestion of implying "something is going on" without an iota of evidence - just (apparently) personal prejudices.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The benefit fraud thread showed me that there are people out there with morals (not that I didn't know that the OP from that thread didn't) benefits don't come from a magic endless pot, they come from taxes that people working pay.

I, as a tax payer, think anyone who's caught defrauding the system should NEVER be entitled to benefits again.

There are 2 cases I know of on of people having motability cars taken off them wrongly, I know both of the forumites personally and know how this affected them - they are the people who suffer when fraudulent activities take place.

over a year ago

Everyone should pay the correct amount of tax for their situations and circumstances.

However we must maintain a pragmatic approach because, believe it or not, a 'cash-based' sub economy is one of the things which the overall economy actually depends.

However that is no justification for defrauding, say, the benefits system!

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

I must admit that if somebody provides me with a service, be that washing my car or selling me a burger. Considering whether or not they pay tax is not something that really crosses my mind.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I never stop to wonder if anyone offering me a service (car wash/plumber/cleaner etc.)is paying tax or not.....that's a matter for them and their conscience and is nothing I want to spend time worrying about.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I don't suppose you know if any self employed people are paying tax (or the correct amount at least)

Saying that a boyfriend of mine years back used to get paid by cheque by his boss. His boss used to print a payslip showing how much tax and national insurance they had paid prior to getting paid. Few months after he left he found out that the boss had been fiddling the books and not actually paying their tax and NI after he took it off them!

over a year ago

I think that every time I pay cash for my coffee at Starbucks

over a year ago

"The current so-hot-it's-a-substitute-for-nuclear-power topic "Benefit fraud" appears to have wandered slightly into other areas. Primarily about how far we should stick our noses into other peoples businesses. And that reminded us of an incident a while ago which got us talking ...

we were driving along listening to local radio, which was having a "debate" over the hand-car washes that are springing up everywhere. Unfortunately for the presenter, there wasn't really a debate as such. Every single caller praised hand car washes as convenient, better than machines, and hey-wow, it's great to see people working for a living.

Then the presenter, in a chat with a phone caller, gave a slight sniff and said "you know my worry about these hand washes ... I mean how do I know they're paying tax ?"

Now, our reaction (out loud) was "what business is that of yours ?" (well maybe a tad stronger).

Curious as to Fabs opinions.

Just for the sake of clarity (feel free to ignore ) we are not talking about reporting a known crime or offence. Simply the rather distasteful suggestion of implying "something is going on" without an iota of evidence - just (apparently) personal prejudices."

I think the problem with this country is that to many people are spending to much time sticking their noses into other people's business than concentrating on their own lives.

over a year ago

All this snooping nonsense and tay avoidance talk is giving me a headache! I'm off out for a coffee and then its off to the theatre to watch Jimmy Carr live! That should help take my mind off it!

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

snooping snitching and busy bodying oh yeah and add too that a bit of bitching all traits of the fab forumite

By *eareenaCouple
over a year ago

Rockford

Rubs me a bit wrong. .. leave the ball busting car washers alone and stick it to the fat cat politicians and bankers

over a year ago

"All this snooping nonsense and tay avoidance talk is giving me a headache! I'm off out for a coffee and then its off to the theatre to watch Jimmy Carr live! That should help take my mind off it!"

Think you can get your tickets cheaper from Amazon, they are tax free

over a year ago

"All this snooping nonsense and tay avoidance talk is giving me a headache! I'm off out for a coffee and then its off to the theatre to watch Jimmy Carr live! That should help take my mind off it!

Think you can get your tickets cheaper from Amazon, they are tax free "

Lol. I thought of that after i had posted!

Post new Message to Thread