FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Edinburgh Hotel: Discrimination or just unsympathetic Customer Service...??

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

An upmarket Edinburgh hotel has been labelled 'disgusting', 'shocking' and 'disgraceful' for refusing to serve a 47 yr old man with Downs Syndrome a child's meal of fish fingers.

The man's carer at the time of the incident (his 19 yr old niece) has accused the hotel of discrimination on grounds that she explained to the waiting staff his dietary limitations, and yet they still refused his/her request. They left the hotel restaurant immediately without ordering any food.

I've read a couple of reports of this story on media websites and I am left wondering... Is this really discrimination? ... or is it just about the worst Customer Service I have ever heard of..?

I am leaning toward the latter and, if I were the owners of that hotel, the senior staff (in fact, the whole flippin lot!) would be back on a training course in 'How to incorporate humanity into Customer Service' 'without delay'... they would also incur 'my considerable displeasure'....

What do you think..??

ted.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Either there's 2 of these identical stories.....

Or this report is wrong. It was an Inverness restaurant..

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

And judging from the trip advisor reviews on the place, it would seem their customer service is just very poor in general

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

I think both, but I couldn't give you an explanation as to why, I can think it through in my head, but not explain it properly if I typed it out or explained by voice.

I'm crap at stuff like that

over a year ago

"Either there's 2 of these identical stories.....

Or this report is wrong. It was an Inverness restaurant.."

It's being reported on the radio as Edinburgh, but you're right - two newspaper sites have it as Inverness.

Either way, it's pretty appalling...

ted.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

as much as it sounds bad would it be discriminating?

its a childs meal..and despite fact about if an adult had disabilities or not..an adult wanted a kids meal.

i dont mean to sound harsh...but if i went into somewhere for food and asked for a childs meal id prob be refused on fact im an adult??

but i also see it from another view..as in descretion could of been used due to his disablity..but then would that descriminate other adult who want kids meals with no dissablity?

is there a right or wrong anwer..i dont know

over a year ago

"I think both, but I couldn't give you an explanation as to why, I can think it through in my head, but not explain it properly if I typed it out or explained by voice.

I'm crap at stuff like that "

To me, it's without question absolutely dreadful customer service - the kind that just sticks to the rules without any consideration as to the long term effect on the organisation's reputation.

But, his carer did explain why he wanted the child's meal, and that was on the basis of his disability. So... it's arguable if, as they knew that fact, they took that into account and incorporated it into their decision to refuse to serve him.

Either way, I wouldn't set foot in the place.. not that I'm likely to go to Inverness any time soon.... well,... unless Jodie decides to have an 'open house'!!

over a year ago

"And judging from the trip advisor reviews on the place, it would seem their customer service is just very poor in general "

You ain't kidding! Looked them up and nearly 26% of all 496 reviews rate them 'poor' or 'terrible'..! And loads specifically mention the restaurant.

By *lippi WenwetCouple
over a year ago

tynemouth

If this gentleman in question and his carer attended my restaurant and ordered a children's meal, I would not have an issue with this especially if I had been approached by the carer beforehand, however if a group of men/woman or couples asked for a children's meal I would deny this, I think it's down to common sense and decency and Manager discretion really, I would however compromise and allow a small adults meal(and think about a 'lighter bite' section on the menu. I would accommodate any customers in any way I could. I don't think this is discrimination as such just appalling customer service and ignorance.

over a year ago

"If this gentleman in question and his carer attended my restaurant and ordered a children's meal, I would not have an issue with this especially if I had been approached by the carer beforehand, however if a group of men/woman or couples asked for a children's meal I would deny this, I think it's down to common sense and decency and Manager discretion really, I would however compromise and allow a small adults meal(and think about a 'lighter bite' section on the menu. I would accommodate any customers in any way I could. I don't think this is discrimination as such just appalling customer service and ignorance. "

Absolutely agree with this. At the end of the day, a hotel is a business and it's there to take money. Okay, in ordering a child's meal, they wouldn't have taken as much money as for an adult's meal, but they would still have put cash in the till. As a result of their short-sightedness and, worse!, their attempts to explain it away (rather smugly in my opinion) in the media will have lost them even MORE money coming into the till!

Like any other business, mine included, you have to use common sense and know when customers ARE 'trying it on' ( and they do....).. in this case, I don't think there was any attempt to do that, and the management and staff need to having their thought processes 'readjusted' a bit quick...

ted.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Anyone can order a child's meal in any restaurant. There are no rules or laws that make them just for kids ffs.

I've read the report on Facebook and it sounds like both to be honest. Being left so long to order drinks etc is very poor customersservice but in the report I read the waiter allegedly said 'we can't serve your uncle here's which is straight up, out and out discrimination! Did they think he was going to infect everyone with downs syndrome or something???

over a year ago

"If this gentleman in question and his carer attended my restaurant and ordered a children's meal, I would not have an issue with this especially if I had been approached by the carer beforehand, however if a group of men/woman or couples asked for a children's meal I would deny this, I think it's down to common sense and decency and Manager discretion really, I would however compromise and allow a small adults meal(and think about a 'lighter bite' section on the menu. I would accommodate any customers in any way I could. I don't think this is discrimination as such just appalling customer service and ignorance. "

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

To sum it up they are fucking idiots...I really hope that staff there get a swift kick up the rear...

over a year ago

We would do the same as ordinarily we wouldn't serve a child's meal to an adult; we do however do smaller adult meals so could easily accommodate and would suggest that first. If however they still wanted their chosen meal, its money and custom and we would serve it

over a year ago

Where I used to work we had an old couple come in for a kids meal every week because they didnt have very big appetites better to make a small sale then none at all

over a year ago

I haven't read any articles about this other than what is reported on this thread.

There is a policy in restaurants about adults / childrens meals and perhaps making exceptions is unfair to others.

My niece has the same problems in restaurants in that she's had a gastric bypass and cannot eat very much at each sitting. She cannot have a drink with her meal as the volume is too much. In fact a childrens meal is too big for her. Yet she has to order an adult meal and accept the cost of wastage. She tends to order the lighter bite options but sadly the reality is she can't enjoy a meal out anymore.

I can certainly understand the issue of disability and dietary requirements but many people have medical reasons why they can't eat adult portions. But if you do it for one and other customers complain about why they can't be offered the same, and the restaurants are making money out of those adults paying for adult meals, then it does open up arguments.

The restaurant has ultimately suffered from the negative feedback which has certainly cost them far more than losing out on the cost of an adult meal.

By *lubcouple2Couple
over a year ago

newport

"as much as it sounds bad would it be discriminating?

its a childs meal..and despite fact about if an adult had disabilities or not..an adult wanted a kids meal.

i dont mean to sound harsh...but if i went into somewhere for food and asked for a childs meal id prob be refused on fact im an adult??

but i also see it from another view..as in descretion could of been used due to his disablity..but then would that descriminate other adult who want kids meals with no dissablity?

is there a right or wrong anwer..i dont know"

yet the same meals are also offered 2 oaps so i dont see the problem its just pure ignorance on the companys part especially as the cercomstances had been explained before hand an i expect they wouldnt of minded payin same price as adult meal as long as he was eating what he liked

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"If this gentleman in question and his carer attended my restaurant and ordered a children's meal, I would not have an issue with this especially if I had been approached by the carer beforehand, however if a group of men/woman or couples asked for a children's meal I would deny this, I think it's down to common sense and decency and Manager discretion really, I would however compromise and allow a small adults meal(and think about a 'lighter bite' section on the menu. I would accommodate any customers in any way I could. I don't think this is discrimination as such just appalling customer service and ignorance.

We would do the same as ordinarily we wouldn't serve a child's meal to an adult; we do however do smaller adult meals so could easily accommodate and would suggest that first. If however they still wanted their chosen meal, its money and custom and we would serve it "

Why wouldn't you serve a kids meal to an adult if that's what they want? Do you refuse yo serve kids adult portions as well or is that ok because they are spending more money then?

over a year ago

Chinese whispers...it was in Inverness and I recieved a slagging post on facebook asking me to share and boycott the place.

I've eaten there many times and never been discriminated against so I'll take my own experience as a review in this case.

By *ndrew MannMan
over a year ago

Edinburgh

Poor customer service, I'm sure they could have given the guy the kids meal but charged him as an adult meal if that's there issue, hard to figure out some establishments without hearing both sides of the story and from what I've seen it's just the one point of view there could be more to the story that wasn't published etc

over a year ago

"Poor customer service, I'm sure they could have given the guy the kids meal but charged him as an adult meal if that's there issue, hard to figure out some establishments without hearing both sides of the story and from what I've seen it's just the one point of view there could be more to the story that wasn't published etc "

This

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

Piss poor customer service.

over a year ago

Seemed to me that instead of confronting the hotel management about this properly, the aggrieved party decided to start a facebook campaign to get people their jobs lost.

Changing attitudes is the way forward, not witch hunting.

Such is the problem with social media.

over a year ago

"Chinese whispers...it was in Inverness and I recieved a slagging post on facebook asking me to share and boycott the place.

I've eaten there many times and never been discriminated against so I'll take my own experience as a review in this case. "

I quite agree about the Facebook element to this story - I don't agree with going about it that way, but let's face it - that's where a lot of the new breed of journo's get their leads from

I am sure plenty of people have successfully eaten there over the years, but the combination of their rating on TripAdvisor and a few other review sites, plus the reported response of the General Manager (which was nothing short of patronising and dismissive) add up to one 'establishment' that needs to take a good long look in the mirror at itself...

Send in Alex Polizzi!!!!! (Then I can perve her tits...)

ted.

over a year ago

Ive never been to Scotland, would love to go one year. I havent read this review but trust people's opinions on here. Its disgusting. You can go into any fastfood place and order a child's meal as a adult if you want to, they wont and cant refuse you. I work in the food service industry (school meals), we encourage the students to eat properly but at the end of the day, we only serve healthy food and even if they only want a sandwich and a drink, they have eaten something. Its down to the individual - if they want fishfingers then its their choice - they are the customer and they are always right. If I get to that area at all, I wouldnt go there. Poor guy has Downs, his life is difficult enough without stupid people adding to it. Rant over

By *ryme_gyMan
over a year ago

Grimsby

It's terrible customer service and clearly a place staffed by ignorant arseholes!

I think that a degree of flexibility should be shown in all service industries, afterall a meal purchased by this customer regardless of what it was goes towards paying their wages.

On a more controversial note would it not actually be discrimination had they served an adult a child's meal on the basis that they were disabled?

By *aula.ceciliaWoman
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Under the 2010 equality act, (provision of goods and services) this person was not discriminated against as an adult meal was offered, and subsequently refused.

I would say, however, that the service was shite and he should have been catered for!

over a year ago

why didnt he just buy an adults meal then leave what he didnt want, or go somewhere else.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"why didnt he just buy an adults meal then leave what he didnt want, or go somewhere else. "

I suspect it will be because items on children's menus are often not available on the normal menu.

over a year ago

"why didnt he just buy an adults meal then leave what he didnt want, or go somewhere else.

I suspect it will be because items on children's menus are often not available on the normal menu."

well thats no good then.

over a year ago

A version on the radio said that they had requested a free child meal and this is what had been refused, also the hotel hasn't received a complaint, maybe two sides should be on Facebook. Just a thought

over a year ago

"A version on the radio said that they had requested a free child meal and this is what had been refused, also the hotel hasn't received a complaint, maybe two sides should be on Facebook. Just a thought"

yes two sides to every story.

over a year ago

This does happen... I have a downs syndrome daughter who is now nearly 17... She loves kids things.. although I wish she would be content with kids portions of food.

I however while I may order her the kids meals... normally now have to pay an adult price..

One place near me though goes to town for her and turns her adults meal into a kids one for me and adds the toy and always gives her a kids drink etc.. They know its what she likes and they go out of my way to help.

Not sure what to make on the story to be fair.

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

There is a lot more to this story than what is being said by the aggrieved niece.

In addition to an apology, she wants the hotel manager to travel from Inverness to her home in Aberdeen to personally deliver said apology.

Yes, some of the reviews on Trip Advisor say that the customer service is crap but that doesn't have any bearing on this story at all. Each case has it's on merits etc.

The complainant has said that they wanted their uncle to be treated normally yet kick up an almighty fuss when the hotel doesn't agree to their demands for a free children's meal for him.

Another thing, does the uncle actually know about all this? Or is his face and disability being plastered all over the internet, local papers and local news for maximum impact against the hotel?

They say that they complained to the hotel at the time but the manager hasn't heard anything about it. In his defence, when it came to his attention he asked for a period of time to gather facts from the staff members there and then issued an apology to the family through the media as he had no way to contact them. Now surely if they had complained to him on the day then contact details would have been taken to allow them to sort it out?

over a year ago

As much as its not particulary pc I'm pretty sure there are other resteraunts throughout the UK that have done a lot worse .....

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

always two sides to every story and Ive only seen the uncles family side so wont comment but agree the people concerned should have spoke directly to the manager rather than plaster it all over facebook.

over a year ago

Think it's bang out of order to be honest, but just shocking customer service by the sounds of it.

But I can't help wondering why an 'upmarket' establishment is serving fish fingers?

Maybe it's was golden breaded, finest fish fillet goujons, with a mushed pea puree?

By *kin BohnerMan
over a year ago

derby

This may be controversial but why should the adult man be able to order a child's meal because of his dietary needs. Why not order an adult meal and only eat what he can! Would a non disabled adult be able to order a child's meal because of their dietary needs?

By *wingerdelightCouple
over a year ago

eastliegh

purely from what ive read on this thread it sounds like the resterant is in the right here, it sounds like the people where trying to get a meal for free, i asume it was a buy 2 adault meals get the kids free deal, if this is the case then im with them, and plastering it all over facebook isnt good

over a year ago

im in two minds on this, I have children with disabilities, id like to think when theyre older that if they wanted a childrens dinner, they could have one, portion size/cost would be the same so why not? it would be good customer service in my eyes.

ive read some of the stories and ive seen how this has escalated, they definitely got it wrong but now its turned into something awful as many people are joining in and making it into some kind of circus

im all for keeping people happy and I know im terribly biased, he should've got his fish finger childrens meal, down syndrome, over age or not. and for the record if it HAD of been myself I would've complained but not with all the publicity. I worry that others will think that people with disabilities and their carers will jump at the chance to announce theyre hard done by and its simply not the case.

By *umpleteazerWoman
over a year ago

Flintshire

Due to my dietary needs I always order a childs meal if they have something I can eat, but ask them to make it up to an adult's portion and pay accordingly. Only once has that ever been a problem, and when the restaurant concerned realised the whole party would be leaving if they could not do this they changed their minds quickly rather than lose the money. Surely this could have been done by the restaurant so everyone was happy?

Unless of course it was the free meal idea......

over a year ago

"purely from what ive read on this thread it sounds like the resterant is in the right here, it sounds like the people where trying to get a meal for free, i asume it was a buy 2 adault meals get the kids free deal, if this is the case then im with them, and plastering it all over facebook isnt good"

I did wonder by the way it was phrased on Facebook if there was something else going on.

There was another story yesterday about a lesbian couple being refused a family ticket and getting kicked out of the place.

They said it was because they were gay. The place said they were kicked out for being abusive. Two sides to every story....

over a year ago

The restaurant in question is about 100 yds from where I'm sat. Shall I claim to be from the press and go and get the full story?!

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Having known a local businessman (Torbay) to have been almost ruined by Chinese whispers on Trip Advisor I remain very dubious about news stories/Facebook campaigns like this.

Some of the 'jumping on the bandwagon' posts on Trip Advisor about his bar/restaurant were out and out lies, posted by people who had never even visited his place.

The Internet can be very dangerous for small businesses at times, half truths and out and out bullshit can financially ruin people.

I'm not saying that this is what happened in Inverness, but I do recognise the possibilities and dangers of hate posts on both Facebook and Trip Advisor.

over a year ago

I kind of think that if someone has dietry needs then they need to research the place they want to eat in..

Many resturants do a lighter meal option for adults..

I don't think its fair on the uncle to have his disability used in this.. Plenty of able bodied people have dietry needs like diabetes or gluten allergies etc..

over a year ago

"The restaurant in question is about 100 yds from where I'm sat. Shall I claim to be from the press and go and get the full story?!"

Are you wearing a frock? Then yes!

And ask for a fish finger kid's meal.

By *ilandlarryCouple
over a year ago

more north lincs than mids!

"The restaurant in question is about 100 yds from where I'm sat. Shall I claim to be from the press and go and get the full story?!

Are you wearing a frock? Then yes!

And ask for a fish finger kid's meal. "

I honestly think that if someone walked into the hotel now and asked them to hand over a till full of money they would jump to do it. Be too scared to do otherwise.

By *eareenaCouple
over a year ago

Rockford

Some drongos follow orders without thinking..

over a year ago

Think these people should be brought to task....I go into my local Morrisons and ask for a small portion due to the fact I dont like waste....my nan used to do the same and there were never any issues about it.

Some people wether disabled or not cant eat full size meals and they should like has been said had some discretion over this and took on board the fact the person couldnt handle a normal size meal........I wouldnt want to be in their shoes.

Post new Message to Thread