Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Panorama.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Broken by battle, very sad stories about soldiers who have taken their own lives, shocked by the way they have been treated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Broken by battle, very sad stories about soldiers who have taken their own lives, shocked by the way they have been treated."
Sadly I am not shocked at all....not enough is done by the powers that be. A lot go back to civvie street with little idea on what to expect when they do, too many get caught up in a circle of homelessness, mental illness, drug/alcohol addiction.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Broken by battle, very sad stories about soldiers who have taken their own lives, shocked by the way they have been treated.Sadly I am not shocked at all....not enough is done by the powers that be. A lot go back to civvie street with little idea on what to expect when they do, too many get caught up in a circle of homelessness, mental illness, drug/alcohol addiction. "

i agree the goverment seem to forget them! they have alot to answer for its all wronge

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

as poor as it is now mental health provision is better than it was post the Falklands, however its certainly not enough but then its also not in 'civvie street' either..

people also have to come forward and its certainly not news to anyone that males in general are not the best at that..

and sadly the suicide figures as shocking as they are will probably get worse..

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"as poor as it is now mental health provision is better than it was post the Falklands, however its certainly not enough but then its also not in 'civvie street' either..

people also have to come forward and its certainly not news to anyone that males in general are not the best at that..

and sadly the suicide figures as shocking as they are will probably get worse.."

Very well put!

Just to make the transition from being a soldier in Afghanistan (just one example) to being a civilian, from dealing with war and bloody conflict to concerning yourself with what day the bins need to be put out... must be so hard and males are truly not the best at coming forward.

They deserve more support and more encouragement to get help. The stigma around MH issues does not help either.

By *un_JuiceCouple
over a year ago

Nr Chester

Saw this and yes it was heart wrenching, the momentum is building and the Mothers of some of the lads that took their lives will campaign, quite rightly until the exposure means it's taken seriously enough to make the changes needed for these young men and women that feel no other way out of their illness.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

It needs addressing and accepting by the Government of whatever 'colour' that this is a looming potential crisis..

we cant end up like we did at the point about 20 yrs I think post the Falklands conflict where the number of deaths by suicide was higher than that during that very brief but costly time in combat...

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Now don't get me wrong, if you have mental health issues either post conflict or as a non military person you deserve treatment.

Returning service men do decompression on the way back now days.

I hear quite a lot of people asking how bad it is out there to returning service men and women. Well think it can be safely said it is not a garden party.

Think we will need a lot more mental health care professionals in the coming years to cope with a ever growing problem in society as a whole

over a year ago

Join the navy, travel the world and feel a man!!

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"Broken by battle, very sad stories about soldiers who have taken their own lives, shocked by the way they have been treated."

The way they are treated is horrendous and immoral. Those men and women put their lives on the line protecting us.

I watched a frightening documentary film about the USA military called the invisible war. It's about how much rape goes on in the USA military. It's not just female soldiers being raped by fellow soldiers but also male soldiers being raped by fellow soldiers.

over a year ago

One of my work colleagues was in the first Gulf war and is still experiencing post traumatic stress disorder at times. Only this week he became over emotional over an issue at work and had to be sent home. After the lies over Iraq I'm afraid I feel I could never trust a government again where War is concerned.

over a year ago

Even without taking in to account soldiers that have served in a conflict the transition from being in the AF to civvy st can be awful. When you think that a large portion of people joining up are 16/17 and haven't had any real world adult lives. They go from having times to be at school, what time to be at lessons and have there lunch to a more extreme version of this for the average length of 8 years (the least amount of time you can serve is 4 years but this doesn't start till you turn 18) when there time comes up there is very little help if any at all to prepare you for the simple things in life. The next thing they know they are having to make desicions which they have never had to do in there life. Even a simple decision that most people won't even give a second thought about can seem like the hardest thing they have had to do

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

" After the lies over Iraq I'm afraid I feel I could never trust a government again where War is concerned."
But that isn't helping guys and gals who HAVE been to war is it? Totally different issue, which people seem to get caught up in which doesn't help the people that need help.

over a year ago

I think successive governments have failed the military after their service to our nation.

But the coalition have made things worse in my biew by making the cutbacks they have and are doing damages morale of those left but the folk being made redundant should have had more help for civillian life such as cheap accomodation and proper training for any role they were hoping to get into.

But sadly they do not seem too interested as they are looking short term.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

These men (and women) need help, they don't need to be dragged into political point scoring.

The programme made me cry, and I'm glad it did upset me as the message needs to get driven home to people.

over a year ago

"as poor as it is now mental health provision is better than it was post the Falklands, however its certainly not enough but then its also not in 'civvie street' either..

Very well put!

Just to make the transition from being a soldier in Afghanistan (just one example) to being a civilian, from dealing with war and bloody conflict to concerning yourself with what day the bins need to be put out... must be so hard and males are truly not the best at coming forward.

They deserve more support and more encouragement to get help. The stigma around MH issues does not help either."

Lmao!!

I don't think it's what day the bins need to be put out that gives them trouble

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Very well put!

They deserve more support and more encouragement to get help. The stigma around MH issues does not help either.

Lmao!!

I don't think it's what day the bins need to be put out that gives them trouble"

You misunderstood my point. Of course it is not that!

It is about the transition they have to go through without the appropriate support.

over a year ago

Very well put!

Lmao!!

I don't think it's what day the bins need to be put out that gives them troubleYou misunderstood my point. Of course it is not that!

It is about the transition they have to go through without the appropriate support."

Not that either

It's not like they are cave men and being shown how modern day to day life works

It's about the fucked up shit they see and go through (I won't go into details) and the psychological help they need to over come those things.

Soldiers are not only physically scared but also mentally.

(I'm not having a go at you by the way)

over a year ago

Very well put!

Lmao!!

I don't think it's what day the bins need to be put out that gives them troubleYou misunderstood my point. Of course it is not that!

It is about the transition they have to go through without the appropriate support.

Not that either

It's not like they are cave men and being shown how modern day to day life works

It's about the fucked up shit they see and go through (I won't go into details) and the psychological help they need to over come those things.

(I'm not having a go at you by the way)"

It can be both not all people that come out of forces and struggle have been in a conflict

over a year ago

Very well put!

Lmao!!

Not that either

(I'm not having a go at you by the way)

It can be both not all people that come out of forces and struggle have been in a conflict"

I guess that's true

_phrodite does have a point

It's the psychological impact of war that soldiers need the most help with

over a year ago

"Totally different issue, which people seem to get caught up in which doesn't help the people that need help."

Hmm, looks like I really ANNOYED you, didn't I...

Post new Message to Thread