Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Benefits cap of £500 a week rolls out across Britain

Jump to newest

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Seems that the UC is now rolling out across the UK.

£500 a week for couples (with or without children living with them)

£500 a week for single parents whose children live with them

£350 a week for single adults who don’t have children, or whose children don’t live with them

Anyone worse off?

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Seems that the UC is now rolling out across the UK.

£350 a week for single adults who don’t have children, or whose children don’t live with them

Anyone worse off?"

Wow wish I had £350 a week to live on

Reply privately

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

how does it work im single and bring home just under £1,000 and not entilted to anything

Reply privately

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

Oh here's the story.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23306092

Reply privately

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

Anyone worse off?

Wow wish I had £350 a week to live on "

was thinking the same

Reply privately

over a year ago

I still think its too much. Why work when you can get £350 a week for nothing. Benefits are there to help out, not to live off alone. What happened to the times when people wouldn't have a child unless they was financially stable? I could honestly rant about benefits for the rest of the day, but I won't because i like these forums and the people on them

Reply privately

over a year ago

£350 a week. Thats more than I earn. Wheres the incentive for people to get out and get a job.

Reply privately

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"Why work when you can get £350 a week for nothing. "

Let's just get this out of the way right now. I'm on the dole and I HAVE to apply for 10 jobs a week..... AND PROVIDE PROOF, which includes contact details so they could phone the employer.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Why work when you can get £350 a week for nothing.

Let's just get this out of the way right now. I'm on the dole and I HAVE to apply for 10 jobs a week..... AND PROVIDE PROOF, which includes contact details so they could phone the employer.

"

Using the dole to help look for a job is fine, thats what its there for. But its the people using it so they dont have to work is what annoys me

Reply privately

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

when i wasnt working I got jsa which was £74 a week ??? ( cant remember the exact amount )and housing benefit £70 a week was entitled to nothing else where on earth are they getting this £350 figure from

god im so disgusted over this, just no insentive to work ...and breathe......

Reply privately

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"when i wasnt working I got jsa which was £74 a week ??? ( cant remember the exact amount )and housing benefit £70 a week was entitled to nothing else where on earth are they getting this £350 figure from

"

What’s included

The cap will apply to the total amount that the people in your household get from the following benefits:

Bereavement Allowance

Carer’s Allowance

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit

Employment and Support Allowance (unless you get the support component)

Guardian’s Allowance

Housing Benefit

Incapacity Benefit

Income Support

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance

Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widows Pension you started getting before 9 April 2001)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"when i wasnt working I got jsa which was £74 a week ??? ( cant remember the exact amount )and housing benefit £70 a week was entitled to nothing else where on earth are they getting this £350 figure from

god im so disgusted over this, just no insentive to work ...and breathe......"

I think it will include other benefits like DLA etc

Reply privately

over a year ago

Well... it's not like you've got that in the bank, as far as I'm aware. What are they actually left with when the state pays the rest for them? Anyway, I really don't want to debate this. Britain's benefit system is absolutely amazing unfortunately those very buffoons have ruined it by allowing every tom, dick and harry from all over the planet to take it for the past couple decades! Very sad. Then, we have a generation or two of our own that seem to think its a way of living - not good. If our government are not going to fix it, then the people should stop voting for the same bloody colours! If you don't vote, then stop complaining!

Reply privately

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

What’s included

The cap will apply to the total amount that the people in your household get from the following benefits:

Bereavement Allowance

Carer’s Allowance

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit

Employment and Support Allowance (unless you get the support component)

Guardian’s Allowance

Housing Benefit

Incapacity Benefit

Income Support

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance

Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widows Pension you started getting before 9 April 2001)"

ah right that figures thanks for clearing that up x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Give anyone £350 a week why should they work, No insentive what so ever bunch of flippin idiots !

They should drop it ever week if they don't find work or are not actively looking for work.

Reply privately

over a year ago

This is real life folks and its easy to castigate those on benefits where in reality for vast majority being on benefits is not a career choice but to help folk. As poster i quote this is the facts behind the headlines of whst folk tend to believe the majority do.

"

Reply privately

over a year ago

It means they have to pay all rent council tax and everything else so 350 a week is not much wen u gotta pay out lrts hope it makes them get jobs

Reply privately

over a year ago

Not me, i don't even get tax credits all i get besides what i earn is child benefit that £20.30 a week so wont make a blind bit of difference to me

Reply privately

over a year ago

"how does it work im single and bring home just under £1,000 and not entilted to anything "

We have just taken on some new tenants whose annual benefit income is £28,000 not counting housing benefit which is £8,000 more than I earn. Even if I added both my jobs together, I still couldn't get anywhere near that figure, and they get full HB on top, I have to pay my own 'rent'. So basically I work 50 hrs pw to keep someone in more money than I earn, good eh

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well... it's not like you've got that in the bank, as far as I'm aware. What are they actually left with when the state pays the rest for them? Anyway, I really don't want to debate this. Britain's benefit system is absolutely amazing unfortunately those very buffoons have ruined it by allowing every tom, dick and harry from all over the planet to take it for the past couple decades! Very sad. Then, we have a generation or two of our own that seem to think its a way of living - not good. If our government are not going to fix it, then the people should stop voting for the same bloody colours! If you don't vote, then stop complaining!"

The problem though with voting is who do you vote for? How does one work out who is lying the least

Reply privately

over a year ago

Id like to have the governments pay rise that they are supposed to be expecting lets see some of them live on wot some of us earn my wages is only 450.00 a month but I do gt other benefits which I wnt say xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

Also i will add 350 pw wk sounds a lot and prob is but in context if for example if in london cost of living and rent etc tends to ve higher than say up north where i come from so moving it along say someone gets job on minimum wage it will not in reality be affordable so in my view we are seeing the start of social cleansing.

Reply privately

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

"It means they have to pay all rent council tax and everything else so 350 a week is not much wen u gotta pay out lrts hope it makes them get jobs"

I get less than £250 a week and I still have rent and council tax to pay just like they do ...

Reply privately

over a year ago

my son lives with us he gets £70 a week benefits. he used to get £900 a month when he lived on his own, until they made the cuts.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone worse off?

was thinking the same"

Me too

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well... it's not like you've got that in the bank, as far as I'm aware. What are they actually left with when the state pays the rest for them? Anyway, I really don't want to debate this. Britain's benefit system is absolutely amazing unfortunately those very buffoons have ruined it by allowing every tom, dick and harry from all over the planet to take it for the past couple decades! Very sad. Then, we have a generation or two of our own that seem to think its a way of living - not good. If our government are not going to fix it, then the people should stop voting for the same bloody colours! If you don't vote, then stop complaining!

The problem though with voting is who do you vote for? How does one work out who is lying the least "

I don't like telling people who to vote for, but if you've been voting for the same auld parties because your parents had or just because then I'd say stop. Check out the independent candidates in your area and vote for whichever is best and not linked with any of the trio!

Reply privately

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

"my son lives with us he gets £70 a week benefits. he used to get £900 a month when he lived on his own, until they made the cuts."

£900 a mth.. ffs !!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Well... it's not like you've got that in the bank, as far as I'm aware. What are they actually left with when the state pays the rest for them? Anyway, I really don't want to debate this. Britain's benefit system is absolutely amazing unfortunately those very buffoons have ruined it by allowing every tom, dick and harry from all over the planet to take it for the past couple decades! Very sad. Then, we have a generation or two of our own that seem to think its a way of living - not good. If our government are not going to fix it, then the people should stop voting for the same bloody colours! If you don't vote, then stop complaining!

The problem though with voting is who do you vote for? How does one work out who is lying the least

I don't like telling people who to vote for, but if you've been voting for the same auld parties because your parents had or just because then I'd say stop. Check out the independent candidates in your area and vote for whichever is best and not linked with any of the trio!"

No I actually stopped doing that years ago as I thought I should make up my own mind, given up in the last few years given their poor stance on immigration, health, jobs etc

Reply privately

By *andm288Couple
over a year ago

oxford

"how does it work im single and bring home just under £1,000 and not entilted to anything

We have just taken on some new tenants whose annual benefit income is £28,000 not counting housing benefit which is £8,000 more than I earn. Even if I added both my jobs together, I still couldn't get anywhere near that figure, and they get full HB on top, I have to pay my own 'rent'. So basically I work 50 hrs pw to keep someone in more money than I earn, good eh "

Couldn't of put it better myself !!

They should be out cleaning streets helping out the elderly and doing voluntary work or helping out at local schools they should not get something for doing nothing !

That's my 2pennys worth and before anyone slates me

That's my opinion

Have a good day x

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No I actually stopped doing that years ago as I thought I should make up my own mind, given up in the last few years given their poor stance on immigration, health, jobs etc"

You have spoken to them? and if so, then I'm really saddened at the fact there is no real candidate to vote in your area. If so, may be you should stand, and on the issues that effect you locally as well as nationally.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"my son lives with us he gets £70 a week benefits. he used to get £900 a month when he lived on his own, until they made the cuts.

£900 a mth.. ffs !!!"

and why shouldnt he, not his fault he lost his job.

Reply privately

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

"my son lives with us he gets £70 a week benefits. he used to get £900 a month when he lived on his own, until they made the cuts.

£900 a mth.. ffs !!!

and why shouldnt he, not his fault he lost his job. "

I sympathise he lost his job, weve all been there at some point but when he gets £900 a month benfits and I work 40 hrs a week for not much more it just annoys me ever so slightly .not having a go just gobsmacked at the amount of benefit he got

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

No I actually stopped doing that years ago as I thought I should make up my own mind, given up in the last few years given their poor stance on immigration, health, jobs etc

You have spoken to them? and if so, then I'm really saddened at the fact there is no real candidate to vote in your area. If so, may be you should stand, and on the issues that effect you locally as well as nationally."

Spoken to who?

Reply privately

over a year ago

£350 will include job seekers allowance and also rent now that can vary if your in private accommodation, that's where the £350.00 into it, so £350 is the max a single person can receive now

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

You have spoken to them? and if so, then I'm really saddened at the fact there is no real candidate to vote in your area. If so, may be you should stand, and on the issues that effect you locally as well as nationally.

Spoken to who?"

The independent candidates that want your vote

Reply privately

By *ellishornyMan
over a year ago

surrey

I've got a neighbour he hasn't worked for 9 years physically fit has had four kids whilst being on benefits has about three take aways each week has money to go shopping whilst I have to go out every morning at 6 o'clock till 6 pm and I have to scrimp and save for a take away and call that a treat because I have to pay for my family which I brought into this world so I will look after and feed and fend for them benefits should be means tested for the genuine people that really need it which I have no problem about this look after our elders a lot better they deserve to be looked after not penny pinching on bills rant over

Reply privately

By *eareenaCouple
over a year ago

Rockford

Please tell my why I am working my arse off again... sheesh

Reply privately

over a year ago

Eh!! Since when! Im a single mum to one, cant work cause the money wouldnt be enough to keep me never mind him aswell! I get calculating my money a month just under 200 a week but I get my main income every 2 weeks meaning some weeks im worse off after paying bills! What a joke 500 a week and id be laughing! I get that in a month sometimes!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Please tell my why I am working my arse off again... sheesh "

arent you lucky to have a job though?

is your job that bad?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"how does it work im single and bring home just under £1,000 and not entilted to anything

We have just taken on some new tenants whose annual benefit income is £28,000 not counting housing benefit which is £8,000 more than I earn. Even if I added both my jobs together, I still couldn't get anywhere near that figure, and they get full HB on top, I have to pay my own 'rent'. So basically I work 50 hrs pw to keep someone in more money than I earn, good eh "

You complain about the money your tenants get yet still take take what housing benefit they get so smacks bit double standards. If you feel so strong why not refuse folk on bebefits as tenants then i could take your complaint at face value.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The system has to meet the needs of those who cannot support themselves for whatever reason.

There will be those who will take advantage of the welfare system its always been the case and always will be in the future. The percentage of those who are benefit dependent is low compared to those who are in need.

That said we have to ensure that the young are given training and or work otherwise we will be continuing an ever growing dependency.

I work hard, pay my taxes and have a good standard of living. Its funny the harder I work the luckier I get. I am fortunate some are not so. We have a duty to ensure that all in society have a good standard of living. We are civilised, aren't we?

Reply privately

By *eareenaCouple
over a year ago

Rockford

Your right... too many hours but its a great job... still... be nice not to have to work... I know not everyone is a scrounger... I am glad some people get the benefits they need

Reply privately

By *oxic1998Woman
over a year ago

Belfast

Wish i had too

Reply privately

By *arah n LeeCouple
over a year ago

Caerphilly

"Please tell my why I am working my arse off again... sheesh

is your job that bad?"

Its being tarred with the same "scroungers" brush that pisses me off! Been on benefits for the last 18months (previously having worked since the age of 14) and i can honestly say I hate it!

People are so judgemental....

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm currently only working part time as I am a full time carer for my disabled daughter. It's not per house as far as I am aware.. and should I end up on full benefits I will be screwed as they will take my daughter's disability into account too.

If I were claiming full benefit still I would be 110quid a week worse off.. because I work part time I'm 280 a week worse off.

Reply privately

over a year ago

These people on the dole will NOT get the £350.00 pw in their bank accounts. That figure is to ensure no-one over claims. I.E. Those single people and families living in huge houses and claiming the rent on benefits. My next door neighbour thought the same until he was told he will just get what he always has. £71pw in his account and his rent paid. Which is £97pw. £168pw in total. Not a lot eh!

The £350.00 figure is for people living in private accommodation which is typically far higher in rents than the council.

Reply privately

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"I'm currently only working part time as I am a full time carer for my disabled daughter. It's not per house as far as I am aware.. and should I end up on full benefits I will be screwed as they will take my daughter's disability into account too.

If I were claiming full benefit still I would be 110quid a week worse off.. because I work part time I'm 280 a week worse off.

"

I think it's per household

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Id like to have the governments pay rise that they are supposed to be expecting lets see some of them live on wot some of us earn my wages is only 450.00 a month but I do gt other benefits which I wnt say xx"
that's less than the minimum wage. IF you have a full time job.

Reply privately

over a year ago

We have just taken on some new tenants whose annual benefit income is £28,000 not counting housing benefit which is £8,000 more than I earn. Even if I added both my jobs together, I still couldn't get anywhere near that figure, and they get full HB on top, I have to pay my own 'rent'. So basically I work 50 hrs pw to keep someone in more money than I earn, good eh

You complain about the money your tenants get yet still take take what housing benefit they get so smacks bit double standards. If you feel so strong why not refuse folk on bebefits as tenants then i could take your complaint at face value."

Am confused by your comment, I was told they get £28,000 per year which didn't include housing benefit. We are supposed to be social housing for people who cannot afford to buy, realistically with that much income they could but on the finance form we have to complete with them, it says don't go any further if they are on certain benefits. What annoys me is that I work and get paid less than they do, that is more where I am coming from, yes I'm single and they have 4 kids but it really isn't the point

Reply privately

over a year ago

I wish i knew where they get the figure of £500 per week from for a single parent with Children at home.

I only get half that amount, ok i get help with my house, but I Still have to find half of it.

The rest i get from my carers allowance which is not a lot when you spread just over £2000 a year over 12 months.

My youngest daughter gets the highest rate for her disability that means i qualify for a car which is taken out of the payment, this i don't mind because it gives me peace of mind to be able to get about in emergencies.

The one thing at the moment that helps me live above the bread line is my Child's tax credits. My eldest daughter has now turned 16 and that will change when she goes to college in September and again in 2 years.

I have debts the same as anyone and every year they take away from something and don't make it up else where.

It is a big worry and there are only so many cut backs that you can make so you are still comfortable.

Hope this all makes sense to you all, I am not very good at this subject, but wanted to try my best..... Ruby

PS: We have a large food bank in the town where i live and every-time I shop I try to put something into the bank trolley because i will never know if one day i will be knocking at their door !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

The reality is that this cap and almost all discussions on benefits rely very little on hard facts but on anecdote. For every "scrounger" there's a hard working person who's been made redundant and can't get back into work for one reason or another. For every "cheat" there's someone who doesn't get enough to live on. It clouds the debate and creates more anger than anything else.

There will always be someone who cheats the system, the problem then arises in how to deal with that person. Rather than doing it rationally, this Government and the last one as well have responded to the emotional and not the rational. That's not to say there shouldn't be a cap or indeed that £350 is too low or high, it's just the same old thing. People respond with "anger" and "boils my piss" statements and not with a logical thought out and rational argument based on actual facts rather than what the media have let them know.

Reply privately

over a year ago

is your job that bad?

Its being tarred with the same "scroungers" brush that pisses me off! Been on benefits for the last 18months (previously having worked since the age of 14) and i can honestly say I hate it!

People are so judgemental...."

yes everyone thinks people on benefits are scroungers, my son has taken jobs before that he was over qualified for and didnt pay that much, he enjoyed his jobs and worked hard, he has only been on benefits for a few months, there just isnt that many jobs about.

Reply privately

over a year ago

£350 will include job seekers allowance and also rent now that can vary if your in private accommodation, that's where the £350.00 into it, so £350 is the max a single person can receive now

Reply privately

over a year ago

I watched a programme on this the other day and its a gray area!!! I would rather work than not, n yh ive had tight times n no money but have rode it out, and now i flatshare to make life easy n live abit before i get into dept with house! I wouldnt juge anyone as its ur lives not mine, as for the govenment well................. lmao xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

is your job that bad?

People are so judgemental....

yes everyone thinks people on benefits are scroungers, my son has taken jobs before that he was over qualified for and didnt pay that much, he enjoyed his jobs and worked hard, he has only been on benefits for a few months, there just isnt that many jobs about."

My son has had a part time job now for two years and still trying to find a better job, also he works hard too and has also taken on the job of product manager when his is away on holiday, so he is now hoping that they will see him for what he dose and dose well and move him up he ranks for more money... Ruby

Reply privately

over a year ago

This full posting will have every one up in arms i dont see as a working man no kids erning less than 350 now and cant get any tax credit or any other type of help now and now they going to give this type of cash away why i thought the uk was skint geting sick of the way this country is run we go fight other peoples wars for them crap on our nhs and schools and public sectors take off the people who really need it god and then this what is things coming to and as for the eu get us out of that proud to be a brit wont be long before we are more like the u.s and if you think thats a joke look at the old traditanal english bobby now look what he wears Thats my grump of the day over morning people

Reply privately

over a year ago

Doesn't matter to me. I work so I get fuck all as usual !!!!!!! Www.Country on it's arse.com.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Like to contribute but too busy working to pay taxes

Reply privately

over a year ago

Isn't it amazing the amount of people that read something in the news and automatically assume that others are getting more than them? A bit like when we were all bairns and complained to mum that 'tommy' has more ice cream than me! Lol.

Al it means is...a single guy in council housing for example gets £71pw cash. His rent is say, £100pw, he gets £171pw.

Another single guy down the road who is in private housing gets the £71pw cash, but, his rent is £300pw, thats £371pw so he has to find the extra £21pw for his rent from elsewhere due to the £350pw cap!

Remember the big furore a couple year ago about families living in mansions and having the tax payer pay for it! Well, THATS what the cap is for.

Reply privately

over a year ago

But companies dont see people for what they do these days they just say ur lucky to be in employment we can fill ur job within an hour

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Id like to have the governments pay rise that they are supposed to be expecting lets see some of them live on wot some of us earn my wages is only 450.00 a month but I do gt other benefits which I wnt say xx that's less than the minimum wage. IF you have a full time job. "

I do 16hours a week sorry for confusion xx

Reply privately

By *eareenaCouple
over a year ago

Rockford

"But companies dont see people for what they do these days they just say ur lucky to be in employment we can fill ur job within an hour"

Oh yes... my work is agency... if I dont kiss ass... no hours.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"But companies dont see people for what they do these days they just say ur lucky to be in employment we can fill ur job within an hour"

Reply privately

By *hyllyphylly OP   Man
over a year ago

Bradford

"

Remember the big furore a couple year ago about families living in mansions and having the tax payer pay for it! Well, THATS what the cap is for. "

Reply privately

By *riskygazMan
over a year ago

birmingham

about time they clamped down on it, get paid a load of cash for doing sod all for life, then they have the nerve to say what a struggle it is getting by on that much money, well news flash! every one is struggling but we drag are arse out of bed day after day and do a days work for what we have and some of the lazy sods are better of than we are

Reply privately

over a year ago

were do we sign on we would be miles better off not working

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think the issue is that people hear that some people are on a certain amount and assume that that's the minimum everyone receives. It's not, it's the maximum.

I don't receive benefits in any way shape or form,but I know people who do, and the all of them struggle to get by and are looking for work constantly because it's not a "life of luxury" the press/government and some people on here would have us believe.

Reply privately

By *nIMidlandsCouple
over a year ago

Rugeley

Thats more than I earn and i do 7days a week

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

These forums never fail to amaze me at times, the figures quoted are the maximum that someone can claim including housing costs, it's not the figure that they will be handing out to everyone that is unemployed....

It's a benefits cap....not a fixed benefits rate.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

the weekly amount includes rent as well...and the DWP have tighter control and if you don't do as they say your money will be stopped..Its worked out on national average of wages..

Reply privately

By *bfoxxxMan
over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

How about a bonus benefit for saving the country millions and not having kids ?

pc correction, children not small goats.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"These forums never fail to amaze me at times, the figures quoted are the maximum that someone can claim including housing costs, it's not the figure that they will be handing out to everyone that is unemployed....

It's a benefits cap....not a fixed benefits rate."

Exactly this! My next door neighbour is a single guy. He gets his rent paid for him and recieves £71pw in his post office account. Off of that, he pays his council tax and child maintenance. So in actual fact, he only gets £54pw put in in actual cash to use for food and gas. Not a lot eh!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"These forums never fail to amaze me at times, the figures quoted are the maximum that someone can claim including housing costs, it's not the figure that they will be handing out to everyone that is unemployed....

Problem with your comment there is it requires people to both read and understand the concepts, this in turn doesn't allow for the outrage that follows. So, never going to happen.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

lets all remember we are 3 pay checks from becoming homeless...one day we maybe having to access benefits..

Reply privately

over a year ago

Exactly this! My next door neighbour is a single guy. He gets his rent paid for him and recieves £71pw in his post office account. Off of that, he pays his council tax and child maintenance. So in actual fact, he only gets £54pw put in in actual cash to use for food and gas. Not a lot eh!"

Yeah but if you add that all together he gets £92,300 which is an outrage and I'm disgusted and I didn't make that last year at all and did I mention it's an outrage closed hospitals, people on the street etc. Of course I had to multiply the figures by 25 years to get the total. People aren't living in luxury off the state. People take one instance of someone fiddling and making a bomb off benefits and then extrapolate that out to all people on benefits (throw in a foreigner or two and bob's your uncle) we have lots of outrage.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"lets all remember we are 3 pay checks from becoming homeless...one day we maybe having to access benefits.."

I was always told two..... you must be loaded! It's an outrage etc

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Exactly this! My next door neighbour is a single guy. He gets his rent paid for him and recieves £71pw in his post office account. Off of that, he pays his council tax and child maintenance. So in actual fact, he only gets £54pw put in in actual cash to use for food and gas. Not a lot eh!

Yeah but if you add that all together he gets £92,300 which is an outrage and I'm disgusted and I didn't make that last year at all and did I mention it's an outrage closed hospitals, people on the street etc. Of course I had to multiply the figures by 25 years to get the total. People aren't living in luxury off the state. People take one instance of someone fiddling and making a bomb off benefits and then extrapolate that out to all people on benefits (throw in a foreigner or two and bob's your uncle) we have lots of outrage."

how does he get 92 grand a year?

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"lets all remember we are 3 pay checks from becoming homeless...one day we maybe having to access benefits..

I was always told two..... you must be loaded! It's an outrage etc"

its 3

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yeah but if you add that all together he gets £92,300 which is an outrage and I'm disgusted and I didn't make that last year at all and did I mention it's an outrage closed hospitals, people on the street etc. Of course I had to multiply the figures by 25 years to get the total. People aren't living in luxury off the state. People take one instance of someone fiddling and making a bomb off benefits and then extrapolate that out to all people on benefits (throw in a foreigner or two and bob's your uncle) we have lots of outrage. how does he get 92 grand a year? "

He doesn't, read it again. It was tongue in cheek, but just shows how easy it is for people to make ludicrous claims!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yeah but if you add that all together he gets £92,300 which is an outrage and I'm disgusted and I didn't make that last year at all and did I mention it's an outrage closed hospitals, people on the street etc. Of course I had to multiply the figures by 25 years to get the total. People aren't living in luxury off the state. People take one instance of someone fiddling and making a bomb off benefits and then extrapolate that out to all people on benefits (throw in a foreigner or two and bob's your uncle) we have lots of outrage."

Lol. Oops, i forgot about that! .

I also forgot to mention that he is in rent arrears due to not being able to afford the £14pw for his extra room from that £54pw. But hey, if hes not working, he doesn't need to eat as much does he!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone worse off?

After tax and bills ive 3 kids n dont end up with that to live on!

Reply privately

over a year ago

In hard financial times where redundancy is a possibility for most people, the LAST thing you want to do is badmouth the benefit system. As someone who's recently recovering from such, it's not easy.

and it can happen to almost anyone...

Reply privately

over a year ago

The thing that upsets most are the ones that get all the publicity of being on benefits year after year, who are physically capable, and have so many kids that their reason us that they couldn't afford to look after the kids if not on benefits!!! So why have the kids?? Surely child benefits should stop after, say the 3rd child, if you have any more than that, it is your choice so you find them?? Obviously multiple births would be exempt...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone worse off?

"

And neither do the majority of those on benefits.

One of which by the way is Child Benefit

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The thing that upsets most are the ones that get all the publicity of being on benefits year after year, who are physically capable, and have so many kids that their reason us that they couldn't afford to look after the kids if not on benefits!!! So why have the kids?? Surely child benefits should stop after, say the 3rd child, if you have any more than that, it is your choice so you find them?? Obviously multiple births would be exempt... "

And how many of these are there in reality? 1 million, 100,000, 1,000?

What about 1 child rather than 3? 3 is higher than average (2.2 being average)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The thing that upsets most are the ones that get all the publicity of being on benefits year after year, who are physically capable, and have so many kids that their reason us that they couldn't afford to look after the kids if not on benefits!!! So why have the kids?? Surely child benefits should stop after, say the 3rd child, if you have any more than that, it is your choice so you find them?? Obviously multiple births would be exempt... "

Soooo, you would want the kids to suffer for the parents mistakes in life then!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone worse off?

"

How many do you have BEFORE tax?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"How about a bonus benefit for saving the country millions and not having kids ?

pc correction, children not small goats. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The thing that upsets most are the ones that get all the publicity of being on benefits year after year, who are physically capable, and have so many kids that their reason us that they couldn't afford to look after the kids if not on benefits!!! So why have the kids?? Surely child benefits should stop after, say the 3rd child, if you have any more than that, it is your choice so you find them?? Obviously multiple births would be exempt...

Soooo, you would want the kids to suffer for the parents mistakes in life then! "

That's what happens when people use emotion rather than logic with these things. It's an emotive subject mostly guided by "they get more than me and do nothing" without looking at how many "they" are, what their lives are really like. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are people who could get off their arses and work, but they're not greater than the number who go to work and waste their employers money by doing fuck all when they're there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The thing that upsets most are the ones that get all the publicity of being on benefits year after year, who are physically capable, and have so many kids that their reason us that they couldn't afford to look after the kids if not on benefits!!! So why have the kids?? Surely child benefits should stop after, say the 3rd child, if you have any more than that, it is your choice so you find them?? Obviously multiple births would be exempt...

What about 1 child rather than 3? 3 is higher than average (2.2 being average)"

But that's the thing, do we, jive public really know what the numbers are?? As for capping kids, we aren't Chinese and everyone should have a chance to get one of each .. Lol we had 2 boys and stopped, it was our choice because we couldn't afford any more xxx

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

That's what happens when people use emotion rather than logic with these things. It's an emotive subject mostly guided by "they get more than me and do nothing" without looking at how many "they" are, what their lives are really like. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are people who could get off their arses and work, but they're not greater than the number who go to work and waste their employers money by doing fuck all when they're there."

puts down phone and looks busy...lol. I am on lunch though

Reply privately

over a year ago

Soooo, you would want the kids to suffer for the parents mistakes in life then! "

Whoa aaa - a whole different argument there - are we saying that we want prospective patents to be " responsible"!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

What about 1 child rather than 3? 3 is higher than average (2.2 being average)

But that's the thing, do we, jive public really know what the numbers are?? As for capping kids, we aren't Chinese and everyone should have a chance to get one of each .. Lol we had 2 boys and stopped, it was our choice because we couldn't afford any more xxx"

"jive public"? How old are you?

We don't know, because when the figures are often released for these shocking benefits, often it's a handful of people not the thousands we were lead to believe

Reply privately

over a year ago

That's what happens when people use emotion rather than logic with these things. It's an emotive subject mostly guided by "they get more than me and do nothing" without looking at how many "they" are, what their lives are really like. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are people who could get off their arses and work, but they're not greater than the number who go to work and waste their employers money by doing fuck all when they're there."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

We don't know, because when the figures are often released for these shocking benefits, often it's a handful of people not the thousands we were lead to believe"

Bloody predictive text!!!!!

Totally agree, the media distorts figures or highlights the juicy bits for us, the masses to stew over!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

We don't know, because when the figures are often released for these shocking benefits, often it's a handful of people not the thousands we were lead to believe

Bloody predictive text!!!!!

Totally agree, the media distorts figures or highlights the juicy bits for us, the masses to stew over!!!"

I quite like being a member of the "jive public"

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I quite like being a member of the "jive public""

Is that a new dance craze?? Lol

Anyway, this is too deep for me, I'm off to the garden to do some nude ironing ... Bob xx

P.s. I am aelf employed and don't get any benifits as I have an army pension xx.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone worse off?

And neither do the majority of those on benefits.

One of which by the way is Child Benefit "

I know btw

Reply privately

over a year ago

The figures will probably include the rent and council tax paid and the child benefit.....so when you split it all up it wont be that much

Reply privately

over a year ago

this has blossomed

Reply privately

over a year ago

That's what happens when people use emotion rather than logic with these things. It's an emotive subject mostly guided by "they get more than me and do nothing" without looking at how many "they" are, what their lives are really like. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are people who could get off their arses and work, but they're not greater than the number who go to work and waste their employers money by doing fuck all when they're there. "

I've got two jobs in my second part time job all this guy works is two hours a day, he make up his money from benefits,or tax credits,his got five children,iWork 10 hours a day , he 2, he still gets More money than me, some people use children as a cash cow

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Eh!! Since when! Im a single mum to one, cant work cause the money wouldnt be enough to keep me never mind him aswell! I get calculating my money a month just under 200 a week but I get my main income every 2 weeks meaning some weeks im worse off after paying bills! What a joke 500 a week and id be laughing! I get that in a month sometimes!! "

How much is your rent aswell? That's included in this cap..

I am a single mum who works a low pay, but I am much better off working than on benefits alone cos I get working tax credits.. I don't have to pay much towards rent and council tax, still get free dentist and prescriptions.. tony blair made it more benficial for single mums to work!

I don't think you have looked into it propoerly

Reply privately

over a year ago

The threads went a bit quiet! I wonder if folks are away to actually read up on the subject now before jumping to conclusions? Lol

Reply privately

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"The threads went a bit quiet! I wonder if folks are away to actually read up on the subject now before jumping to conclusions? Lol"

Nah, they're working and not wasting their employers money in case they find themselves "lepers" on benefits.

Reply privately

By *adgeeMan
over a year ago

Sw Scotland

"

The problem though with voting is who do you vote for? How does one work out who is lying the least "

Reply privately

By *ucy and CarlCouple
over a year ago

Broadstairs

"how does it work im single and bring home just under £1,000 and not entilted to anything "
because it's us mugs who pay for the free loaders. Not only do they get our money they get everything else free to. But if you want something free like a prescription your told where to get off. Carl

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone worse off?

I get £230 on a very good week

Reply privately

over a year ago

I agree with benefits they should be there when people need them.

The cap of £500 a week is fine if they pay full council tax rent and rates etc!

Which the people I know who are on benefits dont!

I work 50 hours a week on a fairly well paid job and my mates on benefits have more disposable income than me!

Yes it is a start in making Britain a fairer place to live...but my god there is still a long way to go.

People on benefits should not have enough spare cash for foreign holidays flat screen tv designer clothes etc etc.

Benefits should be a last resort and not a lifestyle choice...

Reply privately

By *ornyjohn83Man
over a year ago

chorley

I find it quite unbelievable that some people are entitled to £350 a week, that equates to a decent wage, I think it is too much to motivate some to go and get a job, what's the point if it pays less or the same? I work my arse off for what I earn and it pains me to think some that are capable of work and just lazy can bring home £350 for nothing, and many will have contributed very little to society and the welfare system

Reply privately

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"how does it work im single and bring home just under £1,000 and not entilted to anything because it's us mugs who pay for the free loaders. Not only do they get our money they get everything else free to. But if you want something free like a prescription your told where to get off. Carl"

Wow, 104 replies and only about 5 people on the thread that actually understand the system !

That mythical figure NEVER sees any claimants bank account, most are lucky if they receive £71/wk (even less if they're under 25).

Most of the homeless people I support want to work, so can hardly be classed as scroungers.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"The threads went a bit quiet! I wonder if folks are away to actually read up on the subject now before jumping to conclusions? Lol"

That's because so many of them live a 'tabloid lifestyle', they see the £350 and £500 figures and start foaming at the mouth without bothering to look into it further to discover the real facts about the benefit reforms.

The devil is in the detail, they just don't bother to read the detail....they are already screaming at the headlines like banshees.....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The threads went a bit quiet! I wonder if folks are away to actually read up on the subject now before jumping to conclusions? Lol

That's because so many of them live a 'tabloid lifestyle', they see the £350 and £500 figures and start foaming at the mouth without bothering to look into it further to discover the real facts about the benefit reforms.

The devil is in the detail, they just don't bother to read the detail....they are already screaming at the headlines like banshees....."

Why read the details when it's easier to skim the headline and point myself in the direction of the nearest outrage.

I am also slightly irritated by this obsession with what other people earn or get. It's like siblings who keep screaming "it's not fair! they got the toy yesterday it's my turn now"

I suspect if we had a post about the fact that doctors can earn £150K everyone would assume they all do, then we'd have a five page rant about how unfair that is and I only get 20p a year etc etc.

I think one of the things this all tells me, is that children should be pointed not in the direction of "look if you do fuck all you can earn almost £28k a year if you fulfill all the criteria but closer to about £5k a year in reality or you can work your arse off at school head to medical school do dentistry and make £100k a year and actually live well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"how does it work im single and bring home just under £1,000 and not entilted to anything because it's us mugs who pay for the free loaders. Not only do they get our money they get everything else free to. But if you want something free like a prescription your told where to get off. Carl

Wow, 104 replies and only about 5 people on the thread that actually understand the system !

That mythical figure NEVER sees any claimants bank account, most are lucky if they receive £71/wk (even less if they're under 25).

Most of the homeless people I support want to work, so can hardly be classed as scroungers."

Reply privately

By *ellishornyMan
over a year ago

surrey

There Are some decent jobs out there if people really want to work they will try and put their hands to anything my daughter left college got a job her friends are the same and if more of the actual benefit scroungers not the genuines who need it got off their backsides and got a job then people from other countries would have no jobs to nick I work hard to support my family and always will until the day I'm not fit enough unlike some of the benefit scroungers with sweet fa wrong with them who get up watch Jeremy Kyle or go on it then go up the local shop drink there Stella's and sit In the park I don't want to offend genuine people who need benefits but all the others get off your arse why should I pay for you and your family rant over for now

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There Are some decent jobs out there if people really want to work they will try and put their hands to anything my daughter left college got a job her friends are the same and if more of the actual benefit scroungers not the genuines who need it got off their backsides and got a job then people from other countries would have no jobs to nick I work hard to support my family and always will until the day I'm not fit enough unlike some of the benefit scroungers with sweet fa wrong with them who get up watch Jeremy Kyle or go on it then go up the local shop drink there Stella's and sit In the park I don't want to offend genuine people who need benefits but all the others get off your arse why should I pay for you and your family rant over for now "

I'll go a step further. I have seen genuine people having theirs cut and they only use it for food and bills and they were on the basics beforehand. Yet I have seen people who refuse to work just because they think they don't have to and can get money from the state. Makes me sick and I wish the government should investigate matters properly. Not cut it for everyone or improve it for everyone as some people need it due to I'll health and some are just lazy shits

Reply privately

over a year ago

I agree that people struggle to find work in today's climate, but I think a vast percentage of it boils down to the individual, because if you're that desperate to work, you will travel miles and miles everyday. I've done my fair share of 3/4 commutes each way for a couple years, and because of that I am now in a higher position earning better money, it's all about desire, and when you're been spoonfed money for free alot of people see it as a means to live as they purely can't be arsed. On the flip side there are people who don't get sweet fa, yet deserve to! It's a stupid system!

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I haven't read any of the posts and didn't bother with the OP either.

A cap makes sense. A blanket cap across the country doesn't. £350-£500 a week goes a lot further outside of London and the SE than it does in London. Rent at £200-£400 per week is not unusual in London.

I'll read the rest when I'm not so hot.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The threads went a bit quiet! I wonder if folks are away to actually read up on the subject now before jumping to conclusions? Lol

The devil is in the detail, they just don't bother to read the detail....they are already screaming at the headlines like banshees....."

they don't realise that they don't get that... It's just to stop the odd huge family... Not many people get anywhere near that.

Hardest hit will be those who live in private housing.. I know average 3 bed house where I grew up on private rent is 1200pcm... Plus maybe 200council tax..

doesn't sound so much then...

Reply privately

over a year ago

Don't let them divide us and rule. The media haven't been able to find anyone who's lazing around on £350 or £500 or whatever the latest lie is. I'm sure there's a few people like Frank Gallagher or Jim Royal about, but people always have specific circumstances. Since Mrs T governments of whatever stripe even Labour have been demonising claimants, the people on the lowest level of society; it's not fair, and the government shouldn't be encouraging us towards Us and Them. Within a few hours, Iain Duncan Smith has been found out for misleading statistics - what they're doing is the equivalent of the communist witch hunts. Pretty much everyone wants to work, but this isn't the easiest time to be looking for a job and frankly I'm glad I'm not.

Reply privately

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

So we have £350 per week out of that comes rent, council tax their JSA. rent could be £80-90 if they are lucky to be in social housing..for the rent element DWP are looking to use the local housing allowance so if you are under 35 you will get 50 odd quid allocated to rent as you are only entitled to shared living allowance. Now if you are in a one bedroom social housing property. The short fall has got to come out of living cost etc...so the person never sees £350 prob will see £50-70. Plus the DWP are making rules tighter and will be stopping your money easily then currently...So of course it pays to work however some are unable to. some can't find a job and there are the odd few that are lazy,,,this will them out and they will soon get a kick up the backside

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

I don't understand why people haven't grasped that the cap is like the speed limit. Not everyone is driving at the limit, many are much slower and traffic might mean you never get anywhere near the speed limit. Some will travel at the limit and some will try and break the speed limit (some succeeding).

I've just looked at the BBC housing calculator on affordability across the country. I can't afford to live in more than half the country. If I hadn't bought my property in the early 90s I would be in a worse state than I am. Even selling up I can only then afford to buy in Wales, Derbyshire and along that line and Co Durham and Scotland. All lovely places, I am sure, but not where I work and too far from my family.

Reply privately

By *lubPartyPeepsCouple
over a year ago

London

"It means they have to pay all rent council tax and everything else so 350 a week is not much wen u gotta pay out lrts hope it makes them get jobs"

Everyone, including people on the dole, now have to pay a percentage of their council tax, the Government had that changed last year, and the cap for £350 does include both council rent, and or housing benifit, so this money will cover everything. Not taking a side here. Just clarifying that.

Reply privately

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I am a single mum and worked full time up until I had my son 2 years ago and then split with my partner. He is going to nursery in September and hopefully a position will be available for me at my old job after Xmas so I will return to work then.

I get housing benefit, council tax benefit, child tax credit, child benefits and income support. When you add all this up it comes NOWHERE NEAR £500 a week.

It's hilarious how all the ranters on this thread suddenly think I'm gonna get £500 a week paid in to my bank!! I wish!! The amount I get isn't even half of that and the rent/council tax plus necessary bills take a huge chunk out of that. I'm lucky that my rent is low. If it were £700 a month things would be different. And like lickety (I think It was) said if you live in London etc then your pretty screwed!! X

Reply privately

over a year ago

Can i just say i am a mother of one desperate to go back out to work but at the moment i just cant find any that will accept me for part time ive been and applied for jobs and most wont contact me.to say im not what they are looking for so i then phone them up others have said im not what they are looking for one even chucked my application in the bin in front of me but as it goes now im not starting training courses to start my own buissness i hate bein on benefits and they all go in food and my daughter my partner works 40+ hours through 6 days a week and we dont manage to bring home 250 a week xx

Reply privately

over a year ago

Plenty of people are stuck on benefits because the jobs available are limited hours (or zero hour contracts) on the NMW. That means "The Great British Taxpayer" has to, in effect, pay the rest of there wage (as benefits). Plenty of these companies are also guilty of aggressive tax avoidance (call it what you want - it's still stealing). They are robbing us TWICE!.

It's a no brainer. Raise the NMW and FORCE the businesses to pay a decent wage, and the benefits bill is reduced. We might afford to then pay benefits to people that actually need them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/07/13 20:15:28]

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I'm sorry but I think these caps aren't far reaching enough and I think benefits should be lower as an incentive to find work.

"

you do realise that most people that this hits are already below the poverty line... ? What people don't get is that these top amounts very few get near.. hope you never have the misfortune to end up needing it.. as it's no fun.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The cap is set far to high.

Wish I was on that sort of money,A car mechanic with a degree in engineering only brings home £1100 after tax a month working 40 hours a week.

Or my crappy dealer does

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I'm sorry but I think these caps aren't far reaching enough and I think benefits should be lower as an incentive to find work.

you do realise that most people that this hits are already below the poverty line... ? What people don't get is that these top amounts very few get near.. hope you never have the misfortune to end up needing it.. as it's no fun. "

I'm sure it isn't any fun, but when I see good friends who are on benefits having 3 holidays a year and going out 3 times a week etc it does grate on me slightly.

I work my butt off to make ends meet & I have to count every penny, when I could give it all up and be no worse off.

Reply privately

By *aula.ceciliaWoman
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I am a widowed single parent, I work FT for a little over minimum wage, since my son started at University I have lost my Widows benefit, child beefit and most of my tax credit,,,but I still have to support him! CAPPED at £500??? I wish I earned that!!!!!

Reply privately

over a year ago

It includes everything.. your rent, council tax etc... So you will see some families reduced to very low amounts of income... or homeless..

it's not really going to help anyone long run... There are other places this money could have been saved..

When I was on full benefit I got 297 tax credits, 68 quid child benefit and 55 quid carers allowance, 21 quid income support.. plus my rent and council tax. So guess I would have been one of the people that would have seen a cut..

however what isn't taken into account is that half of that is actually my disabled daughters allowances...

I now work part time and I am a lot worse off than not working...I can't work full time due to care required at home... Also being a single mum to 4.

I have worked since I was 14 with two short breaks.. I won't be working at all over school holidays though... So worse off again. But they don't do child care for children my daughters age or for her disability.

And while I can get cover for a break away from here once a week... I got no hope for a full week.. nor could I afford the childcare.

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"

you do realise that most people that this hits are already below the poverty line... ? What people don't get is that these top amounts very few get near.. hope you never have the misfortune to end up needing it.. as it's no fun.

I'm sure it isn't any fun, but when I see good friends who are on benefits having 3 holidays a year and going out 3 times a week etc it does grate on me slightly.

I work my butt off to make ends meet & I have to count every penny, when I could give it all up and be no worse off.

"

Are you sure you wouldn't be worse off? See if you can find out what you would actually be eligible to get. I've found out that after paying tax and NI for over 30 years I am entitled to absolutely nothing for 3 months then ESA for 6 months. That's it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Are people STILL thinking that a single guy on benefits actually gets the £350pw? Lol. Mass hysteria? Or just the green eyed monster?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Are people STILL thinking that a single guy on benefits actually gets the £350pw? Lol. Mass hysteria? Or just the green eyed monster?"

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"Are people STILL thinking that a single guy on benefits actually gets the £350pw? Lol. Mass hysteria? Or just the green eyed monster?"

The government and press have done a good job in ensuring everyone thinks the CAP is what everyone on benefits will GET.

Most of the benefits bill goes to those in work and to pensioners. The amount for the unemployed is about 10-12% of the total bill.

Reply privately

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

Yes capped at £500 a week.

So mr average who lives in central London in a 2 bed house that he's paid the rent for for years quite happily suddenly gets laid off. And has to claim housing benefit etc while he gets back on his feet??

£500 will barely cover his bills (if he's lucky)

Reply privately

By *amslam1000Man
over a year ago

willenhall

"Are people STILL thinking that a single guy on benefits actually gets the £350pw? Lol. Mass hysteria? Or just the green eyed monster?

"

lol

just remember it's a cap ie. the maximum you will get if you'r entitled to some of the things mentioned above most won't get any thing near it. the cap is for those pikies that milk the system

several families like that in my street who have been moaning already, oh well at least one BMW will have to go

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yes.I work at least 45 hours a week and don't even earn £350 per week.Whatever job a person does, we should be a damn sight better off than those on benefits!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I'm sure it isn't any fun, but when I see good friends who are on benefits having 3 holidays a year and going out 3 times a week etc it does grate on me

"

I'm sorry but I don't believe that they are doing this on benefits. Unless the holiday is paid for by Someone of something else.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Yes.I work at least 45 hours a week and don't even earn £350 per week.Whatever job a person does, we should be a damn sight better off than those on benefits!"

you are...

Reply privately

over a year ago

When someones benefits are worked out, dependant on circamstances such as children and disabilities.. Everyone gets the same amount allocated to them..

Its only cos everyone has different rents and council tax that the final figure overall is different.

Benefits are always worked out on how much they say you can live on weekly.. For everyone

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Benefits are always worked out on how much they say you can live on weekly.. For everyone"

see this is the bit I don't get... If someone sat down and worked out that the minimum you can live on is a certain amount.. how can they suddenly decide it's not... ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Benefits are always worked out on how much they say you can live on weekly.. For everyone

see this is the bit I don't get... If someone sat down and worked out that the minimum you can live on is a certain amount.. how can they suddenly decide it's not... ?

"

To stop large families and those in high rent places I guess

Reply privately

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

not everyone who claims benefits are rolling in it!

I am on less than what the government says I'm allowed to live on, i pay towards my council tax, i have 1 child, and not been on holiday since my sister took pity and paid and that was 6 years ago.

Assumptions and generalisations are thrown all over this thread.

I am registered disabled and get the bare minimum....looks highly likely that i will be wheel chair bound for the rest of my life. At least you can work, at least your independent. I may never walk properly again after my recent spinal op, think yourselves lucky. I'll swap you a day in my shoes.

Reply privately

over a year ago

think im going on benefits - be better off and all that spare time instead of working my assoff

Reply privately

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

"think im going on benefits - be better off and all that spare time instead of working my assoff"

swap you!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"not everyone who claims benefits are rolling in it!

I am on less than what the government says I'm allowed to live on, i pay towards my council tax, i have 1 child, and not been on holiday since my sister took pity and paid and that was 6 years ago.

I am registered disabled and get the bare minimum....looks highly likely that i will be wheel chair bound for the rest of my life. At least you can work, at least your independent. I may never walk properly again after my recent spinal op, think yourselves lucky. I'll swap you a day in my shoes. "

Reply privately

over a year ago

"think im going on benefits - be better off and all that spare time instead of working my assoff"

Well, i for one am looking forward to your next thread in a fortnight, when you get your first giro, asking 'where's that 350 we were told about'? Enjoy your spare time!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"not everyone who claims benefits are rolling in it!

I am registered disabled and get the bare minimum....looks highly likely that i will be wheel chair bound for the rest of my life. At least you can work, at least your independent. I may never walk properly again after my recent spinal op, think yourselves lucky. I'll swap you a day in my shoes. "

Disability at work act should mean you can work with disabilities.. I used to work with a woman born blind.. They adapted the computer system for her

Reply privately

over a year ago

god im so disgusted over this, just no insentive to work ...and breathe......"

If its a life of luxury why dont you quit your job and go on benefits then???

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

To stop large families and those in high rent places I guess"

but I have 4 kids... And a four bedroom house private is now out of my reach till I can get a housing association... I used to earn a lot.. then changed...

Should I have less than poverty line to live on? This new rule will mostly hurt the innocent... As those that are already exploiting the system will find away around it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If its a life of luxury why dont you quit your job and go on benefits then???"

Because who would they be able to gripe about then?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

but I have 4 kids... And a four bedroom house private is now out of my reach till I can get a housing association... I used to earn a lot.. then changed...

Should I have less than poverty line to live on? This new rule will mostly hurt the innocent... As those that are already exploiting the system will find away around it. "

Reply privately

By *ingleguy1973Man
over a year ago

peterborough

This is always going to be an emotive subject. Unfortunately, while there are many in genuine need who would not be on benefits if they had the choice, there are many milking the system and living the life of riley with no intention of working.

The two questions are; how do you differentiate between the needy and the greedy and what should benefits provide? The original intention of the benefit system was to ensure that anyone falling on hard times would have a roof over their head and food on the table but very little else, a temporary measure to help those falling on hards times. Not to provide for the needs of todays consumer orientated society.

There is no easy answer. But from a personal point of view... what really pisses me off is the fact that becasue I have worked all my adult life including serving Queen and Country, my military pension means that I will never be able to claim any kind of benefit if I am ever unemployed, only the state pension at 66 and even then, if I need to go into a home, I will have to sell my house to pay for it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Should I have less than poverty line to live on? This new rule will mostly hurt the innocent... As those that are already exploiting the system will find away around it. "

I guess the main incentive is to get people working.. Stop this odd belief that your better off not working.. It is just a myth.

It wasn't that long ago people with 4 kids lived in what they could afford, if that was one room then it was one room.. Now we all believe we should have as many bedrooms as we are entitled to etc

Reply privately

By *azzaahhWoman
over a year ago

north wales / chester

If its a life of luxury why dont you quit your job and go on benefits then???"

where did i say it was a life of luxury????

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

It wasn't that long ago people with 4 kids lived in what they could afford, if that was one room then it was one room.. Now we all believe we should have as many bedrooms as we are entitled to etc"

well according to social services I actually REQUIRE a 5 bed house, but live in a 3 bed.. So its not just people thinking.. ohhhh where shall I live..I fancy a nice big house.. but councils and other places telling them that they need to provide..

I hate having to worry about money. its a new concept for me.. and its dire.. for every £1 I earn I get to keep 5p when you take off everything I lose or extra expense.. in fact I know full well if I looked at it properly I will end up owing myself money.. but I like to be able to say I work.. even if its only a few hours a week..

Yes I get the rest topped up.. but full time work is not an option to me unless I put my child in a home.. Something that is NOT going to happen and that would actually cost the government a lot more..

Reply privately

over a year ago

As a single person with no dependant children living with me, I get £66.70 a week after my CSA payments have been taken off. I also get £70 a week towards my rent, but still have to pay £5 towards my it out of my £66.70, so that takes me down to £61.70. Then average out what I have to pay towards Council tax at approx £2.70 a week, that leaves me with £59 a week if I'm very lucky to pay all my bills, eat and also live the life of luxury that all benefit claiments live

£350 a week is the MAXIMUM a single person COULD be entitled to, not what every single claiment DOES recieve!

Off the Hundreds of Millions of pounds spent on the welfare budget, only about 10-11% is spent on the unemployed whereas about 50-60% is spent on pensions. So before people keep going on about how much money is spent, it's best to find out a bit more rather than just taking the figures spouted by the tabloids at face value.

Yes some people do take the p*ss out of the benifit system, but there are a lot more that only just about survive on it or infact can't survive on it!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"

If they can afford all that, they are on the fiddle.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Are you sure you wouldn't be worse off? See if you can find out what you would actually be eligible to get. I've found out that after paying tax and NI for over 30 years I am entitled to absolutely nothing for 3 months then ESA for 6 months. That's it."

Thats exactly what I got, and then they had the cheek to try to get me go to a job-club or somesuch. (queue to use the computers, have lessons on filling in forms, basically designed for non-english speakers, or people who could not even read or write). I went once and walked out part way through. My "personal advisor" rang me the next day to tell me "it might effect your benefits". After laughing at her, I told her they were quite welcome to effect my benefits. It could only help matters. Serco ran the club (now closed down!) and if you found yourself a job (even at home) by your own efforts, THEY received a payment for getting you a job! I never went back.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

It wasn't that long ago people with 4 kids lived in what they could afford, if that was one room then it was one room.. Now we all believe we should have as many bedrooms as we are entitled to etc

well according to social services I actually REQUIRE a 5 bed house, but live in a 3 bed.. So its not just people thinking.. ohhhh where shall I live..I fancy a nice big house.. but councils and other places telling them that they need to provide..

I hate having to worry about money. its a new concept for me.. and its dire.. for every £1 I earn I get to keep 5p when you take off everything I lose or extra expense.. in fact I know full well if I looked at it properly I will end up owing myself money.. but I like to be able to say I work.. even if its only a few hours a week..

Yes I get the rest topped up.. but full time work is not an option to me unless I put my child in a home.. Something that is NOT going to happen and that would actually cost the government a lot more..

"

I was just pointing out the difference between how society has changed its thinking..

Altho I am now amazed you have been told you need a 5 bed

Boys in one room, girls in another and adults in the last surely

My friend has 6 kids in a 3 bed house

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

My friend has 6 kids in a 3 bed house"

different special needs... And ages of children.

Reply privately

over a year ago

erm £500 a week nowhere near that and thats with rent i get included.blimey that would be £2000 a month if i got that. im on benefits as im disabled and cant work and not by choice like seems to be general opinion of all on benefits. i resent being classed as scum cos i have a disablity and yes i get annoyed at those who could work but dont. i never go on holiday cant afford to.

i pay same bills as those who work inc some of rent which gets more each year. i dont get endless amounts of as benefits. i dont get help with everything. i pay full price for school uniform,same rates for gas,electric and water. i only go out to get food or clothes that my daughter needs.

if people read right the top amount is £500 not what all single parents will get.

Reply privately

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

And now the 'we're all in it together' govern-mental (who only recently spoke of their own 11% payrise) are now thinking about cutting the maximum from £26K pa to £20k pa.

Reply privately

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 16/07/13 08:33:10]

Reply privately

over a year ago

poor you my heart bleeds. Apply for 10 jobs a week. Why not just take one when offered. Alot of us have jobs some more than one to survive which we have to work long hours just to make ends meet. Expect you apply for your jobs from a chair whilst drinking coffee bought ftom your dole money"

Wow, that's astonishingly judgemental. For some people actually getting a job isn't that easy. Not only that the concept that people are lazing around all day and would rather be unemployed is quite offensive. A very close friend of mine has gone from £60k as a contractor and then went self employed his business folded when his business partner wandered off. He's not managed to get work for months. Now given he gets nowhere near £350 a week closer to £150 a week do you not think he'd rather go back to driving his nice car and being able to eat out? Some people

Reply privately

over a year ago

"if people read right the top amount is £500 not what all single parents will get.

"

It's expected to save 0.1% which is a clear indication that there are only very few recipients of benefit actually receiving that amount, I would expect 99% of those are living in nicer areas of London where well paid work is available. So the government will be able to show the system works as they either get work or move out of London. Statistics can be made to fit anyone's agenda, and this example is legendary in its simple efficiency of generating anger towards the benefit receivers as a whole while only changing things for a few.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Go on!....give it a go and report back to us all in a month.

I do love a good giggle

Reply privately

over a year ago

Lost my job after 30+ years full employment, had 6 weeks on job seekers, and was not entitled to anything except a N.I. stamp.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"think im going on benefits - be better off and all that spare time instead of working my assoff

Go on!....give it a go and report back to us all in a month.

I do love a good giggle"

I said that yesterday, lol. Expecting a thread in a fortnight asking "where the fucks my big giro gone"?

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"if people read right the top amount is £500 not what all single parents will get.

It's expected to save 0.1% which is a clear indication that there are only very few recipients of benefit actually receiving that amount, I would expect 99% of those are living in nicer areas of London where well paid work is available. So the government will be able to show the system works as they either get work or move out of London. Statistics can be made to fit anyone's agenda, and this example is legendary in its simple efficiency of generating anger towards the benefit receivers as a whole while only changing things for a few. "

This whole campaign has been masterfully created and executed to whip up vitriol and division. It's the mist popular government decision, as judged by the general public, but has one of the lowest actual cash benefits to the country. It is so Victorian and we will soon be happily talking about the deserving and undeserving poor and modern workhouse equivalents.

Reply privately

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

It's expected to save 0.1% which is a clear indication that there are only very few recipients of benefit actually receiving that amount, I would expect 99% of those are living in nicer areas of London where well paid work is available. So the government will be able to show the system works as they either get work or move out of London. Statistics can be made to fit anyone's agenda, and this example is legendary in its simple efficiency of generating anger towards the benefit receivers as a whole while only changing things for a few.

This whole campaign has been masterfully created and executed to whip up vitriol and division. It's the mist popular government decision, as judged by the general public, but has one of the lowest actual cash benefits to the country. It is so Victorian and we will soon be happily talking about the deserving and undeserving poor and modern workhouse equivalents."

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

different special needs... And ages of children."

im still amazed..

did our great grandparents suffer from the living coniditions they lived in? were they all bad people?

i feel people of today have worse attitudes and its an example of this entitlement

noone sat moaning they were disabled, if they didnt work they didnt eat

Reply privately

over a year ago

I had a Spanish housemate who explained that in Spain, if you fall out of work you get an amount around what your take home pay was in your last Job, you get this for one year! Then it drops by 10 or 20% every year.

This seems like a far more sensible and fair system.

Also there should be more govt owned social housing and a housing benefit cap!

The way I see it is the majority of our tax money is ending being spent paying housing benefits, ultimately mostly ending up in the pockets of private landlords and housing associations!

Basically we are back to the times of the land owners and the serfs!

Reply privately

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"

im still amazed..

did our great grandparents suffer from the living coniditions they lived in? were they all bad people?

i feel people of today have worse attitudes and its an example of this entitlement

noone sat moaning they were disabled, if they didnt work they didnt eat"

Or their work was begging. It was thought of as work. We don't condone that now. Just as we don't condone overcrowding.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

im still amazed..

noone sat moaning they were disabled, if they didnt work they didnt eat"

yes and back then my daughter would have been hidden away as a reject.. times change. My children shouldn't share a room. but I make do best I can In my falling apart private house.. but I can't apply for any of the lovely 3 beds because I would be overcrowded. So I have to stay put... Trust me.. I would rather have a nice two bed than what I have now.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm in the 'single person with children living at home' category

Adding up mine i get just under two thirds of what i am supposedly entitled to

It may say each 'category' is capped at that amount, but it doesn't mean each person in said group gets the whole amount

One of my neighbours gets half of what they are entitled to in their 'category'

Yes i agree many do take the p*ss a bit and abuse that amount and milk it for all they can get, but there are also many who could really do with the remainder of their entitlement just to get by each day who simply aren't allowed it!

Reply privately