FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Food snob

Jump to newest
 

By *ickle_my_pickle OP   Woman
22 hours ago

nosy town

Are there any foods that you have to buy the branded version of?

We all know that the majority of the time you get what you pay for but you can get away with cheaper brands and on occasion SOME cheaper brands can be better.

For me i can only have heinz tomato sauce or beans or birdseye garden peas its non negotiable i would rather go without than attempt to have cheaper brands.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hortieWoman
21 hours ago

Northampton

After giving this much thought (at least ten minutes worth), I cannot think of any item that is a 'must buy big brand' for me.

Aldi 'no chicken kiev' might be one, if Birds eye do chicken Kiev as well, but that crosses a few lines on a couple of counts

I'm very happy with stores own cupboard staples.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *tannersMan
21 hours ago

stanley

I won’t do shops own brand tinned soup. Has to be Heinz or Baxter’s. Same with beans, must be Heinz or Branston.

Also only , never Pepsi or other colas.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ickle_my_pickle OP   Woman
21 hours ago

nosy town


"I won’t do shops own brand tinned soup. Has to be Heinz or Baxter’s. Same with beans, must be Heinz or Branston.

Also only , never Pepsi or other colas.

"

😱 see i'm only pepsi max

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ongandthick888Man
21 hours ago

Leeds

Liking major brands is the opposite of food-snobbery.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ickle_my_pickle OP   Woman
21 hours ago

nosy town


"Liking major brands is the opposite of food-snobbery. "

Apologies sir

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *tannersMan
21 hours ago

stanley


"I won’t do shops own brand tinned soup. Has to be Heinz or Baxter’s. Same with beans, must be Heinz or Branston.

Also only , never Pepsi or other colas.

😱 see i'm only pepsi max "

Doesn’t mean we’re not compatible, we’d just need his and hers bottles in the fridge 🤣🤣

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ickle_my_pickle OP   Woman
21 hours ago

nosy town

Just to clarify food snob was just a play on words. I am under no illusion if someone buys heinz they arnt a snob its hardly a la carte. Its just a saying

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

21 hours ago

East Sussex

Kellogg's cornflakes and Birdseye petit pois. Instant coffee Nescafé Gold Blend.

Otherwise I buy own label

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lectrictouchMan
21 hours ago

inverarary

Most of what I buy tends to be if brands but only have a small supermarket so not much choice where I live

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lectrictouchMan
21 hours ago

inverarary


"Kellogg's cornflakes and Birdseye petit pois. Instant coffee Nescafé Gold Blend.

Otherwise I buy own label "

Kenco whole bean for me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *iker MidlandsMan
21 hours ago

Birmingham

Mcvities digestives mmmmm

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ulieScrumptiousWoman
21 hours ago

North West

Maybe Coco Pops, not that I have them often. I would’ve said Vimto but Aldi’s Fruito is amazing 🤣

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *urry BlokeMan
21 hours ago

I have no food brand allegiances

I buy what's on offer or own brand and love a yellow label binge

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *onin25Man
21 hours ago

Durham

There's very little these days, supermarkets have really upped their game with own brands. I still only buy Zero rather than own brands, although Pepsi Max is acceptable.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *obilebottomMan
21 hours ago

All over

Not consciously but go for some more due to familiarity rather than anything else.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lectrictouchMan
21 hours ago

inverarary

I’m

The fussiest eater you would have ever met I guarantee

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hyllMan
20 hours ago

461 Ocean Boulevard

Only in so far as tea … I love Barry’s tea, that I insist on at home !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *onathanjonesMan
20 hours ago

Chester

I have mixed feelings.

The older I’m becoming, the more I’m realising how poor these mass-produced foods are.

Hence my recent pizza and bread posts. I can make a better product, quicker than a trip, for cheaper than what they’re charging.

Sad to say it, but that’s pretty grim if you think about it.

Way back, years ago, mass production happened because it saved people time and money while not compromising on quality. Since then, they’ve sought to cut costs. So much so, that it’s now very questionable as to whether it still makes sense.

Anyway, to answer the question, I find that branded peas matter. I don’t know why, but I think it matters. I’ve noticed that more expensive breakfast cereals are crunchier on the teeth, and I like that.

Tinned beans, to me, the brand makes no difference.

Branded soups; a massive con. I can make my own for pennies.

Cream/dairy, makes no difference.

Fake creams - poor quality. Emulsified vegetable oil with milk or whatever. Disgusting.

American foods: shit. Chocolate; emulsified corn oil with chocolate flavouring. Disgusting.

So generally, I guess I have mixed views.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hilliBeanMan
20 hours ago

Greater London

With you on the Ketchup and Peas Pickle!

Also Colmans Mint Sauce 😋

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ydaz70Man
20 hours ago

Rotherham /newquay

Heinz tom soup and sauce other stuff not really bothered but so like Tesco own baked beans and sausages better than Heinz and 3 times as cheap.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *nbowedMan
18 hours ago

Wythall

HP sauce. Even though it's not made in Brum any more (SHAME!) it still beats the pants off other brown sauces. Even M&S own brand doesn't come up to the mark.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *dwkmlcrpCouple
18 hours ago

Tamworth

Branston beans

Aunt Bessies yorkies (if im being lazy and dont make my own)

Paxo stuffing

Skull crusher coffee

Yorkshire gold tea bags

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *im125TV/TS
18 hours ago

Fife

Aldis' Jaffa cakes are better than McVities (lmo)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *heron ShanMan
18 hours ago

Durham

Since I cook a lot from fresh, not that I can think of but I like to get the best fresh ingredients.

If I do but something which is branded then I go for the best, I deserve nothing less.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *nbowedMan
18 hours ago

Wythall

Tunnocks caramel wafers. Most shops have an ersatz copy and Lidl's aren't bad but the real thing is the real thing.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *etwife8230Couple
18 hours ago

Newport

I'm only buying heinz Mayo

Also a bit of a coffee snob

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *nbowedMan
18 hours ago

Wythall


"I'm only buying heinz Mayo

Also a bit of a coffee snob"

I'll confess to buying Winiary Majonez from the East European aisle in Sainsbury's once out of curiosity, and nothing else will do now. It's a really good mayo.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *wist my nipplesCouple
18 hours ago

North East Scotland, mostly

Lyle’s golden syrup. Everything else is rubbish.

Mrs TMN

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *vaRoseWoman
18 hours ago

Ankh-Morpork

Yorkshire tea

Kelloggs cornflakes (any other cereal or flake can be a different brand)

Henderson’s relish

Cola. If I buy it I’m fine with the brand we can’t say or Pepsi… but I don’t drink off brand

There really aren’t many when I think about it

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *cott45hullMan
18 hours ago

Hull


"Yorkshire tea

Kelloggs cornflakes (any other cereal or flake can be a different brand)

Henderson’s relish

Cola. If I buy it I’m fine with the brand we can’t say or Pepsi… but I don’t drink off brand

There really aren’t many when I think about it "

Try M&S cola, it’s really nice

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inkShyWoman
18 hours ago

near Windsor


"I won’t do shops own brand tinned soup. Has to be Heinz or Baxter’s. Same with beans, must be Heinz or Branston.

Also only , never Pepsi or other colas.

"

Interesting that reply and quote shows me what you will drink, like some secret trick 🤔

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inkShyWoman
18 hours ago

near Windsor

Kellogs Crunchy nut

Nutella

Twix

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hinstrapMan
18 hours ago

sheffield

Occasional things I need the posh stuff but generally I'm easy going. Coca cola or non. Ketchup had to be heinz or daddies. Non of that wishy washy cheap shit

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *he MinionMan
18 hours ago

Surrey

Heinz Tomato soup is the only Tomato soup I buy or like.

I freely admit to being a tomato soup snob !

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hrillseeker10Man
17 hours ago

Bridgwater

Being an ex council estate lad and an ex royal marine I will eat absolutely anything. 😎🤣🇬🇧

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *harmedAndInChargeMan
17 hours ago

South West

I will eat own brand if someone else has kindly made it for me.

But I don’t buy anything own brand myself

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *dtfMan
17 hours ago

Edinburgh

no matter how branded the sauce... its not going to save my burnt to a crisp tea.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *lderflowerAppleWoman
17 hours ago

Hampshire

Teapigs infusions

PG Tips tea bags

Heinz Beans and ketchup

Waitrose own brand Italian style instant coffee

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
16 hours ago

Gloucestershire


"Tunnocks caramel wafers. Most shops have an ersatz copy and Lidl's aren't bad but the real thing is the real thing."

Snap. Tried the Aldi version but, original really is best

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *aughtydealcoupleCouple
16 hours ago

Walmer, Deal

Has to be branston beans kelloggs crunchy nut cornflakes or hardwoods 30% less fat tikka sauce

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *ngelbert HumperdinckMan
16 hours ago

Sussex

Tesco blue stripe all the way

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *rthur30Man
16 hours ago

Warrington

I must be a food snob. I NEVER put jam on smoked salmon.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *parklingeclipseWoman
16 hours ago

Lincolnshire


"Tunnocks caramel wafers. Most shops have an ersatz copy and Lidl's aren't bad but the real thing is the real thing.

Snap. Tried the Aldi version but, original really is best "

You know I got McVities Hob-Nobs in just for you 🤣

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
16 hours ago

Gloucestershire


"Tunnocks caramel wafers. Most shops have an ersatz copy and Lidl's aren't bad but the real thing is the real thing.

Snap. Tried the Aldi version but, original really is best

You know I got McVities Hob-Nobs in just for you 🤣"

I knew you were a lady of exquisite taste 😉

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *adybird303Woman
16 hours ago

Sheffield

I buy the branded of everything

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *hamallamadingdongMan
16 hours ago

London

No, I like trying different foods. If the non brand is cheaper I'll try it out and see if I can taste the difference. Branding is a psychological trick.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *olyGlamorousWoman
15 hours ago

**flutters eyelashes**

There's only a couple of items I prefer the branded version; Birdseye peas, Green Giant corn, Twinings tea

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *iCurious4WomenMan
15 hours ago

Inverclyde


"Are there any foods that you have to buy the branded version of?

We all know that the majority of the time you get what you pay for but you can get away with cheaper brands and on occasion SOME cheaper brands can be better.

For me i can only have heinz tomato sauce or beans or birdseye garden peas its non negotiable i would rather go without than attempt to have cheaper brands. "

I've been labelled a food snob because I almost never purchase cheaper brand and have a diet that's mostly organic. However, I dislike expensive sausages and prefer cheaper ones.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *olyGlamorousWoman
15 hours ago

**flutters eyelashes**

Ah yes Heinz tomato soup, absolutely no other soup will do in that flavour

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *iCurious4WomenMan
15 hours ago

Inverclyde


"Ah yes Heinz tomato soup, absolutely no other soup will do in that flavour "

Fair enough, Heinz definitely dominates on pure nostalgia, but if you look past the brand name, it is easy to see why a lot of people also love Baxters as a premium alternative

It really comes down to the vibe of the recipe. Heinz Cream of Tomato is that classic, ultra-smooth childhood staple, but it's pretty sugary and uses ingredients like r*peseed oil and milk proteins to get that silky texture.

Baxters, on the other hand, goes for a much richer, "proper food" approach. They throw in real double cream and butter, which gives it a velvety, homemade feel. It's way less sweet, has a nice hint of white pepper, and is much thicker.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *olyGlamorousWoman
15 hours ago

**flutters eyelashes**

Only tend to have it when someone's ill 😔

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *oeWilliams321Man
15 hours ago

irvinestown

Salmon, only eat wild now and then. Lobster, Canadian. Rib eye steak, 28 day matured.

Dunnes stores cornflakes, best store brand.

Spanish oranges.

Free range eggs from neighbours.

Lidl, mayo, ketchup, beans, tomato soup, wostershire sauce.

Kerry gold block butter.

Tobasco original.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *utoftheBluexWoman
15 hours ago

Bot Farm

Quality eggs and organic flour. They cost just one or two pounds more, but they make a big difference in the results

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 

By *utoftheBluexWoman
14 hours ago

Bot Farm


"Quality eggs and organic flour. They cost just one or two pounds more, but they make a big difference in the results"

Almost forget, Fever-Tree Tonic

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
 
 

By *ung_James100Man
14 hours ago

abergele

Tea

Has to be PG Tips or Tetley… Yorkshire tea makes me sad! Some own brands I think were made with monkey poo 🤣

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote
Post new Message to Thread
back to top