Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

tips for photographing baby oil

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

no matter how much light i just cant capture the image i want.. any tips are greatly received

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"no matter how much light i just cant capture the image i want.. any tips are greatly received "

Try olive....

over a year ago

"no matter how much light i just cant capture the image i want.. any tips are greatly received

Try olive...."

Shes busy with Stan and Jack..

over a year ago

"no matter how much light i just cant capture the image i want.. any tips are greatly received "

If you're trying to get the 'wet look' mix the baby oil with water and spray it on - apparently its a photographers trick.

over a year ago

"no matter how much light i just cant capture the image i want.. any tips are greatly received

Try olive....

Shes busy with Stan and Jack.."

Popeye...!!!

Seriously Cute, senior moment but I dont get what you are trying to take a photo of....

over a year ago

Getting glare?

You need to try a nice soft light which will give an even spread if that's the case- you'll probably find it hard to take pics of yourself with a reflective coating as you need to see what the light looks like on yourself in position

over a year ago

im not getting anything.. i literately drowned myself in baby oil and when i looked at the pics i looked 'normal'

over a year ago

Mix the oil with water and spray it on yourself.

Leaves the droplet image as used in model pics.

over a year ago

well thanks for the water mixing tips.. i will try that next time x

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Self photography is never easy, now I'm single it generally takes me about 20 attempts to get the right shot.

Thank God for digital & the delete button lol

over a year ago

"Self photography is never easy, now I'm single it generally takes me about 20 attempts to get the right shot.

Thank God for digital & the delete button lol "

know that feeling,, i wish i had longer arms. all my pics are done on my mobile phone

over a year ago

If you want the "shiny" look, use vegetable or olive oil - it's thicker than baby oil and stays on the skin rather soaking in.

over a year ago

I'd suggest good backlighting, soft key light and gold reflector. Baby oil, sprayed from a spray bottle. I'd also suggest a bright white fairy light netting in the background and an aperture of around 2.8. Should give you a nice bokeh effect and bring out the beautiful droplets in the foreground.

over a year ago

"im not getting anything.. i literately drowned myself in baby oil and when i looked at the pics i looked 'normal'"

You must have very dry skin

over a year ago

Get a photographer!

over a year ago

"Get a photographer! "

do u know any? lol

over a year ago

"Get a photographer!

do u know any? lol"

Not that are any good!

over a year ago

"Get a photographer!

do u know any? lol

Not that are any good! "

testicles! some help you are pfftt..

over a year ago

"Get a photographer!

do u know any? lol

Not that are any good!

testicles! some help you are pfftt..

"

Last time I photographed someone covered in baby oil it got a bit messy!

over a year ago

Is it possible to use low natural light, as in morning/evening in the garden etc.....?

over a year ago

"Is it possible to use low natural light, as in morning/evening in the garden etc.....? "

im not gonna take that risk of being caught

over a year ago

"Is it possible to use low natural light, as in morning/evening in the garden etc.....?

im not gonna take that risk of being caught "

Lol - okay ........I live in the middle of the country, very secluded, so you take them here as long as you mow my lawn!!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/06/13 19:58:37]

over a year ago

"If you want the "shiny" look, use vegetable or olive oil - it's thicker than baby oil and stays on the skin rather soaking in."

And the case for the defence rests, m'lud....

over a year ago

I'd agree with the mixing with water suggestions. You need a light that will be nice and bright too.

The type of light would depend on the shot you wanted. For example a spot light to focus on specific body parts. A desk lamp would be good for this.

Am a photographer myself. Although I've still not had a chance to do some naughty shots recently of ourselves

over a year ago

"Get a photographer!

do u know any? lol"

me me me me me

By *lipperyWhenWet!Couple
over a year ago

Rochester

Possibly try the thicker oil as already suggested, then spray on some water with a mister (which means your not spraying oil around) and try lighting from the side.

The light reflecting from the droplets and the shine on the skin, may be more noticeable than with direct straight on flash.

Good luck and we look forward to you sharing the results!

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Here's the keep it simple solution...once you've got the droplets by mixing the oil and water (however you decide to do it, I prefer mixing the oil and water), stick a small piece of loo roll over the flash (just a single ply), it'll defuse the flash enough to soften the light and should pick up the droplets.

By *hee gardenerMan
over a year ago

SLIGO

Try olive...."

she is busy with popeye...lol

over a year ago

Where is Keenfucktographer when you need him?

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

some great advice on here, may try this myself

over a year ago

Try natural light, it's softer so not so much glare but skin looks softer

over a year ago

"I'd suggest good backlighting, soft key light and gold reflector. Baby oil, sprayed from a spray bottle. I'd also suggest a bright white fairy light netting in the background and an aperture of around 2.8. Should give you a nice bokeh effect and bring out the beautiful droplets in the foreground."

over a year ago

"

For example a spot light to focus on specific body parts. A desk lamp would be good for this.

"

And something to bounce the light back on to you and also yes get a spray bottle and mix the oil with water.

over a year ago

Castrol GTX

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

"I'd suggest good backlighting, soft key light and gold reflector. Baby oil, sprayed from a spray bottle. I'd also suggest a bright white fairy light netting in the background and an aperture of around 2.8. Should give you a nice bokeh effect and bring out the beautiful droplets in the foreground.

"

A bit difficult when it's being done with a point and shoot/phone held out at 45 degrees though

over a year ago

"I'd suggest good backlighting, soft key light and gold reflector. Baby oil, sprayed from a spray bottle. I'd also suggest a bright white fairy light netting in the background and an aperture of around 2.8. Should give you a nice bokeh effect and bring out the beautiful droplets in the foreground."

This should have actually have said. Baby oil, with water sprayed etc. was a bit pissed when wrote my comment. The water droplets will form nicely on the oily skin.

over a year ago

"I'd suggest good backlighting, soft key light and gold reflector. Baby oil, sprayed from a spray bottle. I'd also suggest a bright white fairy light netting in the background and an aperture of around 2.8. Should give you a nice bokeh effect and bring out the beautiful droplets in the foreground.

A bit difficult when it's being done with a point and shoot/phone held out at 45 degrees though

"

Maybe so, but you can get a cheap tripod for a phone and an app with a countdown timer. There is an iphone app called taada (or something like that) which can blur the pics and allow some nice editing too. Can give some nice visuals.

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

Maybe so, but you can get a cheap tripod for a phone and an app with a countdown timer. There is an iphone app called taada (or something like that) which can blur the pics and allow some nice editing too. Can give some nice visuals. "

Snapseed's the Daddy of free editing Apps !

And if you're in the habit of taking a lot of 'selfies', a GorillaPod for a phone is a good investment at less than £20, if you shop around.

Post new Message to Thread