Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

My English has got worse :(.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I am currently sending out my cvs to people and I know a cover letter helps. However I have forgotten when writing to an employer do you end it in "yours faithfully" or "yours sincerely"?

Also what should you mention in a cover letter?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If you are writing Dear Sir/Madam, it's faithfully, if you are writing Dear (name) it's sincerely xx

over a year ago

An easy way to remember is the S in Sir does not go with the S in sincerely! Good luck

over a year ago

Thank you both. Any idea what goes in one of these though?

over a year ago

Dear Sir/Madam - Yours faithfully

Dear Mr Smith - Yours sincerely.

Hope that helps.

Ps. Failing that, you can use "Regards" or "Kind Regards" too.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Generally, if you have met the person it's sincerely, otherwise it's faithfully.

Well that's wot i woz tort at skool

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Thank you both. Any idea what goes in one of these though? "

Tell them if you are bi or straight, how many veris you have and whether you have face pics in your private gallery

over a year ago

I think just a general 'here is my CV' and maybe a brief outline of your experience and why you're applying for the job. Hope that helps.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Generally, if you have met the person it's sincerely, otherwise it's faithfully.

Well that's wot i woz tort at skool "

Hmmm. Confused now. I thought you could be sincere to anyone but only faithful to people you had met.

over a year ago

"Thank you both. Any idea what goes in one of these though? "

I usually put something like:

Dear....

I am writing to apply for the vacancy advertised ??

I have enclosed a copy of my CV for you, which I hope will be of interest to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours ....

It doesn't really have to be a long letter, just more or less lets them see your handwriting and that you have the courtesy to put a covering letter with it.

Good luck hun xxxx

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Lots of love

over a year ago

Content should include what post your applying for, where you saw the advert for it and a brief description what your background and why you fit that role? Just google cover letter templates, print off a load and take what you need from each!!!!

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"An easy way to remember is the S in Sir does not go with the S in sincerely! Good luck "

I thought I was the only one who remembered it like that! lol

over a year ago

If the thread title is true then you should have said worser!

over a year ago

"Thank you both. Any idea what goes in one of these though?

Tell them if you are bi or straight, how many veris you have and whether you have face pics in your private gallery "

lol what are you like??

over a year ago

"An easy way to remember is the S in Sir does not go with the S in sincerely! Good luck

I thought I was the only one who remembered it like that! lol "

So did I lol

over a year ago

What do you wrote though if the job isn't advertised and you are just giving them the letter/cv?

over a year ago

"What do you wrote though if the job isn't advertised and you are just giving them the letter/cv?"

Templates usually cover every scenario, I bought a guide from WHSmiths and I just got a new job last month ))

over a year ago

Go to monster jobs, they have a covering letter template to cover a variety of vacancies and don't for get to spell check x

over a year ago

"What do you wrote"

over a year ago

"What do you wrote though if the job isn't advertised and you are just giving them the letter/cv?

Templates usually cover every scenario, I bought a guide from WHSmiths and I just got a new job last month ))"

Doing what may I ask?

over a year ago

"What do you wrote

"

On phone. So stop being picky

over a year ago

"An easy way to remember is the S in Sir does not go with the S in sincerely! Good luck

I thought I was the only one who remembered it like that! lol

So did I lol "

lol we were all taught well obviously

over a year ago

"What do you wrote though if the job isn't advertised and you are just giving them the letter/cv?"

Dear ...

Brief explaination of experience etc.

I have enclosed my CV, and would like you to consider me for any vacancies that may arise for (whatever you do).

If you do not have anything available at the moment, would you please keep my CV on file and let me know if a vacancy occurs.

Your ...

over a year ago

"What do you wrote

On phone. So stop being picky "

Sense of humour failure there, well done

over a year ago

"What do you wrote though if the job isn't advertised and you are just giving them the letter/cv?

Dear ...

I have enclosed my CV, and would like you to consider me for any vacancies that may arise for (whatever you do).

If you do not have anything available at the moment, would you please keep my CV on file and let me know if a vacancy occurs.

Your ...

"

That's perfect. Being a brainless/dead end job with no challenge for years as scattered my brain . Thank you

over a year ago

Dear ...

Your ...

That's perfect. Being a brainless/dead end job with no challenge for years as scattered my brain . Thank you "

You're very welcome. And good luck xxxxxx

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

"Go to monster jobs, they have a covering letter template to cover a variety of vacancies and don't for get to spell check x"

This and what Dave said earlier.

Having been in your situation look at job sites for advice.

If you don't know the persons name it's faithfully, if it's Dear Ms Bloggs then it's sincerely.

Make sure you spell check everything and curtail your cover letter to each company and job. Make sure you say why you want to work there and show you've looked into the company.

Good luck.

over a year ago

an example of a covering letter..

Hey Dude or Dudette!

Hows it hanging

I saw your most awesome job advertised and I know I would be more than perfect for the position. Not only am i demur and swarve but a damn good looking bloke who everyone loves. Can you not tell :P

So when do I start?

A huge high five

Dave xx

(disclaimer: the above is for comical purposes only and not to be sent to an employer!)

over a year ago

"an example of a covering letter..

Hey Dude or Dudette!

Hows it hanging

I saw your most awesome job advertised and I know I would be more than perfect for the position. Not only am i demur and swarve but a damn good looking bloke who everyone loves. Can you not tell :P

So when do I start?

A huge high five

Dave xx

(disclaimer: the above is for comical purposes only and not to be sent to an employer!)"

Sweet!!! When can you start bud!!!

over a year ago

"an example of a covering letter..

Hey Dude or Dudette!

Hows it hanging

So when do I start?

A huge high five

Dave xx

(disclaimer: the above is for comical purposes only and not to be sent to an employer!)"

lol I'd give you am interview for that letter

over a year ago

All done now. Just have to find a stapler to keep the pieces of paper together.

over a year ago

"All done now. Just have to find a stapler to keep the pieces of paper together. "

I must take mote time in reading these posts. I thought you said find a slapper

over a year ago

"All done now. Just have to find a stapler to keep the pieces of paper together.

I must take mote time in reading these posts. I thought you said find a slapper "

I could do with one of them to. Care to volunteer

over a year ago

Kind Regards.

Not as formal, just as professional.

over a year ago

"All done now. Just have to find a stapler to keep the pieces of paper together.

I could do with one of them to. Care to volunteer "

OI you calling me a slapper? lol

over a year ago

I could do with one of them to. Care to volunteer

OI you calling me a slapper? lol"

No. I wouldn't dare . I asked you if you would be my personal one

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"Content should include what post your applying for, where you saw the advert for it and a brief description what your background and why you fit that role? "

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

[Removed by poster at 25/06/13 16:38:01]

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"All done now. Just have to find a stapler to keep the pieces of paper together. "

I think you'll find someone's put ya stapler in jelly

over a year ago

Update been and left the place that just take cvs and what a waste of time. No wonder my area is falling apart due to be skint or worrying over debt by just getting stuff they need

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I am currently sending out my cvs to people and I know a cover letter helps. However I have forgotten when writing to an employer do you end it in "yours faithfully" or "yours sincerely"?

................"

Whilst I appreciate the difference and know full well there IS a difference, I wonder just how many people tasked with the first cull (assuming it's not a machine) know, or care, which is which.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"I am currently sending out my cvs to people and I know a cover letter helps. However I have forgotten when writing to an employer do you end it in "yours faithfully" or "yours sincerely"?

Whilst I appreciate the difference and know full well there IS a difference, I wonder just how many people tasked with the first cull (assuming it's not a machine) know, or care, which is which.

"

I've been on interview panels and, whilst that one mistake may make no difference, if there were one or two others then it could count against you.

That said the applicants really did need to demonstrate a very high level of accuracy, linguistically speaking, so it could very much depend on the job you were going for.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

I've been on interview panels and, whilst that one mistake may make no difference, if there were one or two others then it could count against you.

That said the applicants really did need to demonstrate a very high level of accuracy, linguistically speaking, so it could very much depend on the job you were going for."

Whilst I don't disagree, I'd like to think any deal-breaking grammatical mistakes would have been noticed and acted upon long before interviews were arranged.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

That said the applicants really did need to demonstrate a very high level of accuracy, linguistically speaking, so it could very much depend on the job you were going for.

Whilst I don't disagree, I'd like to think any deal-breaking grammatical mistakes would have been noticed and acted upon long before interviews were arranged."

That's true but I am talking tiny mistakes -potentially typos - and no more than one or two. If a letter had more obvious ones it wouldn't get through. The minutae would be examined if it were a close run thing.

Post new Message to Thread