Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Social services

Jump to newest

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Had to call them today to express concern with someones parenting of my eldests friend and the circumstance the parent put me in.

I know I have done the right thing and they agreed there should be concern and looking into the background.

Anyone else been in a similar situation to feel you need to make a call that you really dont want to.

Feeling uneasy but a bit easier knowing my concern will be looked into.

Bit unsettled tonight.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You absolutely did the right thing, too many people pass by on the other side. How many times do you watch the news reports of children being harmed and think "why did no one do anything?"

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i had a visit from them and it was the most sickening experience of my life, i sobbed until it physically became hard to breathe

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We had a visit from them too, when one of ours hurt themselves. It was very tough at the time but I would rather they visit one hundred innocent parents than miss one abusive family.

over a year ago

"We had a visit from them too, when one of ours hurt themselves. It was very tough at the time but I would rather they visit one hundred innocent parents than miss one abusive family."

yeah totally agree.

over a year ago

"We had a visit from them too, when one of ours hurt themselves. It was very tough at the time but I would rather they visit one hundred innocent parents than miss one abusive family."

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It's a sad fact that loads do get missed though

over a year ago

ive a 3 year ongoing court battle for my daughter,was a fultime dad for 3 year then awarded her bk to mother because of a wank social worker after been with me since 8 mnth old,still fighting and now a member of justice for fathers! social services arnt worth a toss!!!!!

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

I called them with concern about a parent. I appreciate it must be awful to have them concerned about anyone. But I have looked at it as a positive. I have cared enough to call. If something ever happens to that child I would be devastated. .....at least I have expressed my concern.

Still reminding myself I did the right thing.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

As a kid ye loads of experience an even after that if I thought a child was at risk id not think twice. Not that it did babby p much good poor soul

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Being a social worker is not an easy job. You dont hear of the great work only the ones thatfall through the net.

over a year ago

yes you did hun and credit for it x but they that slack they do things when its too late

over a year ago

"I called them with concern about a parent. I appreciate it must be awful to have them concerned about anyone. But I have looked at it as a positive. I have cared enough to call. If something ever happens to that child I would be devastated. .....at least I have expressed my concern.

Still reminding myself I did the right thing."

You did do the right thing. You must have been concerned to call them.

over a year ago

A slightly different perspective here..

As a child from an abusive home I prayed for help. It never came because no one ever reported it, although lots were aware.

The child you have concerns for may well be very grateful for intervention.

Please don't ever feel guilty for helping a child..

over a year ago

"Had to call them today to express concern with someones parenting of my eldests friend and the circumstance the parent put me in.

I know I have done the right thing and they agreed there should be concern and looking into the background.

Anyone else been in a similar situation to feel you need to make a call that you really dont want to.

Feeling uneasy but a bit easier knowing my concern will be looked into.

Bit unsettled tonight. "

If you genuinely fear for a child's health or safety you call them without question. There are far too many irresponsible people who don't put their children's well being before their own pleasure.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I am in this situation most days..You got to do what ya got to do..

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"Being a social worker is not an easy job. You dont hear of the great work only the ones thatfall through the net."

hello im here but not down to social services it was my own doing much as they like to think other wise other than feed an clothe me they did sweet fa

over a year ago

Social services told me I quote "many children grow up perfectly fine with a parent who is a drug user, as long as the child is fed and clothed we do not see a problem" really??? When referring to a mother who is a regular user and yes has food on the table but only cos I put it there!! And when I told them the mother was kicking the children and calling the c*nts etc they then removed the children from the at risk register, I do have custody of one of my children after I lost my court battle I took custody of her when she turned 11 and was classed as old enough to make her own decision my other children can't wait to get to 11 we celebrate the birthdays as a way of counting down....I'm sure social services are busy but allowing my children to live lives as a way for their mum to have money and a house over her head is shocking!!

over a year ago

Sorry for the rant just soooooooo frustrating!! X

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Do you know how much the budget has been slashed for social services...huge case load and a fucking lot of red tape

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

the system is flawed for sure, but that doesn't mean that we should do nothing does it?

over a year ago

If this parent is found innocent will they know the reporting came from you?

Is there anyway you could of found out more yourself first?

Its a tricky one cos if the parent has done nothing wrong then you could be creating an awful situation for everyone involved.

Did you look up the signs of abuse and maybe speak to the child in a discrete way

Anything you report they have to investigate regardless

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"the system is flawed for sure, but that doesn't mean that we should do nothing does it?"

No of course not!!

over a year ago

"the system is flawed for sure, but that doesn't mean that we should do nothing does it?"

Totally agree with this, you have to try and hope they take note and something will change, wherever it be a wake up call for the parent/parents ultimately the child's welfare is the most important thing x

over a year ago

But how much could everyone do themselves before involving an already over worked social worker?

You would be amazed how basic a childs needs are classed as..

over a year ago

"the system is flawed for sure, but that doesn't mean that we should do nothing does it?

But how much could everyone do themselves before involving an already over worked social worker?

You would be amazed how basic a childs needs are classed as.. "

Depends on how approachable the parent involved is,

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"the system is flawed for sure, but that doesn't mean that we should do nothing does it?

You would be amazed how basic a childs needs are classed as.. "

My view is that children are everyone's responsibility and there's quite a lot we could all do as individuals but ultimately we can't remove a child from abusive parents or protect them all the time, there are occasions when we have to involve the authorities.

I often think of that little boy who was systematically starved to death by his parents, he was attending school the whole time how did it happen

over a year ago

Totally agree with this, you have to try and hope they take note and something will change, wherever it be a wake up call for the parent/parents ultimately the child's welfare is the most important thing x"

A wake up call if the parent has done something wrong..

My son played mummy and daddy with a girl. They both had a look at the differences between a boy and girl and the girl who was having councelling cos of her disruptive behavior told her mum who went straight to social services. I got investigated and it was put down to kids at play cos its a natural part of their sexual development to be curious. If the girls mum had actually spoke to my son while he was round playing she would of found out for herself that it was nothing sinester behind what they did, especially as she had just qualified as a social worker

over a year ago

Totally agree with this, you have to try and hope they take note and something will change, wherever it be a wake up call for the parent/parents ultimately the child's welfare is the most important thing x

My son played mummy and daddy with a girl. They both had a look at the differences between a boy and girl and the girl who was having councelling cos of her disruptive behavior told her mum who went straight to social services. I got investigated and it was put down to kids at play cos its a natural part of their sexual development to be curious. If the girls mum had actually spoke to my son while he was round playing she would of found out for herself that it was nothing sinester behind what they did, especially as she had just qualified as a social worker "

I get that!! That situation is just madness and a waste of the services time, but in a parent to child abuse/neglect point of view presuming that's what the op is on about, there is cases when you can do something but for some people like my situation and believe me I tried so hard I got so stressed I ended up having a seizure and loosing everything at the time social services are required to step in, I know resources are tight especially when they are wasted which is a shame for the kids who need them the most!

over a year ago

Not forgetting social services can help and support the parents/parent in some cases

over a year ago

"Not forgetting social services can help and support the parents/parent in some cases"

Just in my experience they suck!!

over a year ago

I'm not saying they shouldn't be called ever.. The op hasn't gone in detail so I don't think anyone can really advise on it one way or another.

Just saying that sometimes there is more maybe we can all do before running to social services.

over a year ago

"ive a 3 year ongoing court battle for my daughter,was a fultime dad for 3 year then awarded her bk to mother because of a wank social worker after been with me since 8 mnth old,still fighting and now a member of justice for fathers! social services arn't worth a toss!!!!! "
Now Hang on a Min don't go slagging off social workers with your 1 sided Exp, there are 3 side to every story Your's Theirs and the Truth and no I'm not a social worker, its just another 1 of those thankless jobs ppl choose to do yes choose

over a year ago

My son played mummy and daddy with a girl. They both had a look at the differences between a boy and girl and the girl who was having councelling cos of her disruptive behavior told her mum who went straight to social services. I got investigated and it was put down to kids at play cos its a natural part of their sexual development to be curious. If the girls mum had actually spoke to my son while he was round playing she would of found out for herself that it was nothing sinester behind what they did, especially as she had just qualified as a social worker "

yes but they were both 21 yo lol

over a year ago

ever since child line and other so called kids protection groups or what ever they call them have opened up there has been a lot of Parents, and other Relations or even family friends, been Put through hell because of 1 phone call or visit to the Social services, all because someone has heard this or heard that.

over a year ago

"ive a 3 year ongoing court battle for my daughter,was a fultime dad for 3 year then awarded her bk to mother because of a wank social worker after been with me since 8 mnth old,still fighting and now a member of justice for fathers! social services arn't worth a toss!!!!! Now Hang on a Min don't go slagging off social workers with your 1 sided Exp, there are 3 side to every story Your's Theirs and the Truth and no I'm not a social worker, its just another 1 of those thankless jobs ppl choose to do yes choose"

Your right.. There is always 3 sides to a story.

over a year ago

Its quite a few years since i worked in child protection, but a Social Services Dept will have as many malicious or unwarranted referrals as they will have genuine concerns. They have a duty of care to investigate each one which will mean speaking to parents as well as liaising with agencies, ie school, doctors / health visitors, police etc.

This usually has a devastating effect on parents. Will make them feel inadequate, embarrassed, etc. Many times people are referred by others as a way of getting them into trouble, this kind of referral is similar to the ringing fire engines or ambulances to cause mischief.

I would advise that if you have a genuine concern then make the referral but be aware of the consequences. Depending on the situation expect contact from other agencies, like the police, who will need to question you to gain more information. The parent won't be told the referrers details but sometimes it's easy to work out, as the patent will be told the nature of the referral.

We all have different parenting styles that will seem inappropriate to others. If you feel a child is suffering physical or emotional neglect, suffering violence or sexual abuse them don't hesitate to refer. If the child is left alone for long periods or at risk from visitors to the home then refer. We have a duty as adults to protect children, just, as I said before, be aware of the level of input the authorities will give and the effects to that family.

over a year ago

"Its quite a few years since i worked in child protection, but a Social Services Dept will have as many malicious or unwarranted referrals as they will have genuine concerns. They have a duty of care to investigate each one which will mean speaking to parents as well as liaising with agencies, ie school, doctors / health visitors, police etc.

This usually has a devastating effect on parents. Will make them feel inadequate, embarrassed, etc. Many times people are referred by others as a way of getting them into trouble, this kind of referral is similar to the ringing fire engines or ambulances to cause mischief.

I would advise that if you have a genuine concern then make the referral but be aware of the consequences. Depending on the situation expect contact from other agencies, like the police, who will need to question you to gain more information. The parent won't be told the referrers details but sometimes it's easy to work out, as the patent will be told the nature of the referral.

We all have different parenting styles that will seem inappropriate to others. If you feel a child is suffering physical or emotional neglect, suffering violence or sexual abuse them don't hesitate to refer. If the child is left alone for long periods or at risk from visitors to the home then refer. We have a duty as adults to protect children, just, as I said before, be aware of the level of input the authorities will give and the effects to that family. "

agree fully

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Its quite a few years since i worked in child protection, but a Social Services Dept will have as many malicious or unwarranted referrals as they will have genuine concerns. They have a duty of care to investigate each one which will mean speaking to parents as well as liaising with agencies, ie school, doctors / health visitors, police etc.

We all have different parenting styles that will seem inappropriate to others. If you feel a child is suffering physical or emotional neglect, suffering violence or sexual abuse them don't hesitate to refer. If the child is left alone for long periods or at risk from visitors to the home then refer. We have a duty as adults to protect children, just, as I said before, be aware of the level of input the authorities will give and the effects to that family. "

But how are we supposed to know 100% if a child is at risk? Surely that decision is one that can only be made by the correct agency we aren't experts, the onus isn't on us but rather the agency to make its processes better and more parent friendly.

I keep going back in my mind to that young boy who was starved to death by his parents while attending school, how in God's name did it happen when he was in daily contact with other adults who could at least have fed him if they were too afraid of how a vsit from social services would affect his family.

over a year ago

We all have different parenting styles that will seem inappropriate to others. If you feel a child is suffering physical or emotional neglect, suffering violence or sexual abuse them don't hesitate to refer. If the child is left alone for long periods or at risk from visitors to the home then refer. We have a duty as adults to protect children, just, as I said before, be aware of the level of input the authorities will give and the effects to that family.

But how are we supposed to know 100% if a child is at risk? Surely that decision is one that can only be made by the correct agency we aren't experts, the onus isn't on us but rather the agency to make its processes better and more parent friendly.

I keep going back in my mind to that young boy who was starved to death by his parents while attending school, how in God's name did it happen when he was in daily contact with other adults who could at least have fed him if they were too afraid of how a vsit from social services would affect his family. "

It doesn't have to be 100% certainty..

But identifying abuse is never easy.. Abusers will cover themselves, lie, have an excuse for any questions..

But all reported cases of abuse have to be on facts, not on someones assumptions

over a year ago

I've been maliciously reported.. yes it turned out okay.. but still found it very hard.

over a year ago

You don't have to be 100% certain of the facts or physical evidence of abuse to make a referral, it can just be a feeling that you have.

Do be certain that you are referring for the right reason, that you believe something is wrong and it's beneficial to the Childs wellbeing. Some people refer because they don't like the mother and want to get her into trouble etc, it's a drain on resources which are currently overstretched.

If people feel that things are wrong then they shouldn't worry about the

resources, the interaction of other agencies etc, their own concern for a child should be the reason they will refer.

Parenting styles will always differ. For example, a swinging couple who accommodate whilst their children are in bed, could be reported by outsiders if this was found out. They could have

genuine concerns that strange men / couples are entering the house for sex and the children are at home, could become aware of it, seeing activity, noises etc and as a result the referrer could be worried the child could be seeing sexual activity or display sexual inappropriate behaviour. Social workers

could attend, find out the couple are swingers, conclude that the children are in bed asleep and are kept safe and all is well, they could talk to the school, ask if the children are talking about sex or their behaviour has changed, find that the child is not displaying any behaviour that is cause for concern.

The referrer is not wrong to report, they believed children could be at risk, the parents have satisfied the authorities that they understand the risks, will keep the children safe etc.

I believe it's the right thing to refer if

your ultimate goal is the safety and wellbeing of the child and not for other reasons

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

"If this parent is found innocent will they know the reporting came from you?

Is there anyway you could of found out more yourself first?

Its a tricky one cos if the parent has done nothing wrong then you could be creating an awful situation for everyone involved.

Did you look up the signs of abuse and maybe speak to the child in a discrete way

Anything you report they have to investigate regardless"

Apologies...only just came back to thread. Will they know its me...yes probably. I dont really know them. I would not recognise them passing in town. Anyway to find out more myself....this is the second time they have put me in the situation I found myself in in relation to the child. First time I was cross this time I was amazed due yo responsibilities and neglect. Did I look up the signs of neglect.......no as in my work I deal with watching for signs every day and have studyed abuse most recently.

Speaking to the child discretly wasnt an option due to circumstances but have remembered past chats with the child and what my own child has told me. The texts fromthe parent have been passed onto ss too.

Hope that answers x

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

I did speak to the police first too and asked their advice. Have read the texts I had from the patent to ss. I dont know the mum at all so would not call her to inform her that she is being neglectful by her actions and putting me in a bad situstion. If shehadnt put me in the situation I probably wouldnt have called ss.

over a year ago

I keep going back in my mind to that young boy who was starved to death by his parents while attending school, how in God's name did it happen when he was in daily contact with other adults who could at least have fed him if they were too afraid of how a vsit from social services would affect his family. "

This.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-22805043

As for being 100%, we don't have to be, we just need to have a real genuine concern.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I did speak to the police first too and asked their advice. Have read the texts I had from the patent to ss. I dont know the mum at all so would not call her to inform her that she is being neglectful by her actions and putting me in a bad situstion. If shehadnt put me in the situation I probably wouldnt have called ss."

you don't need to explain, you did the right thing, we need more people like you. I hope that the outcome is good for everyone involved.

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

I am pretty sure they will be mad and upset. But they put me in a very bad situation.

If I knew them to talk to then I may have discused the problem with them. They either dont know what they are doing is wrong or dont care

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

Not knowing all of what obviously has happened, I would say anyone who has worries about a child should report it to at least let SS check it out.

I did it once and I told the people if they didn't stop leaving their small children alone then I would do it....they carried on so I reported it.

The SS came round and they didn't do it again.

I would do the same again if I thought a child was at risk.

over a year ago

Those who complain about social services should step back and think what would happrn if they were not there who would look out fir vulnerable people.

Yes as we all know there have been tragedies involving the service but thankfully are rare and press rightly report those cases.

As another poster said cutbacks are affecting the number of sociak workers and therefore workloads are being dealt with by less folk and mistakes will be made. Its not pleasant but unless government prioritise better and fund more social workers it will get worse.

I am not involved in social services by the way but am concerned at the negative impact cutbacks are having on numbers and morale of those left.

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

"Not knowing all of what obviously has happened, I would say anyone who has worries about a child should report it to at least let SS check it out.

I did it once and I told the people if they didn't stop leaving their small children alone then I would do it....they carried on so I reported it.

The SS came round and they didn't do it again.

I would do the same again if I thought a child was at risk. "

I am hoping a chat with ss will make them realise. I expect my son (the childs friend) will become un friended by the childs familyand be told not to come nesr us as we blew the whistle.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Sometimes, the adult is so overwhelmed by the situation, when SS finally turns up, it's a relief. The common misconception that children will be removed from their parents at the drop if a hat is so, so wrong.

When you're in a deep pit of dispair, you need help climbing out.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

To those who are highly critical of such jobs as social work I say, if you think you can do better, go ahead.

Spend years getting qualified, have your hands tied with red tape, be constantly criticised, be exposed to abuse and aggression and then let us all know about it.

over a year ago

"To those who are highly critical of such jobs as social work I say, if you think you can do better, go ahead.

Spend years getting qualified, have your hands tied with red tape, be constantly criticised, be exposed to abuse and aggression and then let us all know about it."

I know someone that has had constant problems with 2 social workers that have both lied threw there teeth in meetings and in court. Some of them are a waste of space. I've known a meeting that was meant to be chaired by someone in dependant but was actually chaired by a social worker. Not all are useless but all the ones I have been aware of through people I know have been

over a year ago

I had a visit after i fell out with my family, i was told that there has been a report of neglect. My daughter has her own Social worker anyway and had just recently been round to meet her. When they turned up on my doorstep a couple of days later, i was told that although they knew my daughter was well looked after (after all she goes to a special school and it's always crawling with social services) they have to look into every report.

So they went all through my cupboards and her bedroom to make sure that there was enough food in the house and clean clothes etc. It made me feel very sick and i was in tears.

They wouldn't tell me who sent the report, but i was told the phone number is on record so if it should happen again they would look into it.

Now i am sure they get calls like this all the time mostly out of revenge and just pure bloody nastiness.

But what you did was the right thing to do i would do the same. Every child or adult has a right to be protected and these days they have to be certain because of so many mistakes are being made.

Try not to be worried about it and keep telling yourself you did the right thing !!

over a year ago

Knowing you as I do ....... you must of had a good reason for doing this . Better to be safe than sorry and think if only . xxx

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"To those who are highly critical of such jobs as social work I say, if you think you can do better, go ahead.

Spend years getting qualified, have your hands tied with red tape, be constantly criticised, be exposed to abuse and aggression and then let us all know about it.

I know someone that has had constant problems with 2 social workers that have both lied threw there teeth in meetings and in court. Some of them are a waste of space. I've known a meeting that was meant to be chaired by someone in dependant but was actually chaired by a social worker. Not all are useless but all the ones I have been aware of through people I know have been"

I also can tell individual negative stories. But that is all they are. Individual ones out of thousands of positives which are never heard of.

over a year ago

Spend years getting qualified, have your hands tied with red tape, be constantly criticised, be exposed to abuse and aggression and then let us all know about it"

There certainly are some good ones out there. Also some disgraceful ones around regardless of 'years getting qualified' who have ruined lives.

Hands tied with red tape should not be thrown out there as mitigation under any circumstance, nor should they be free from criticism because of the decent work of others, a life is a life.

over a year ago

i have children who are both very well looked after roof over head food in belly clothes on back shoes on feet and loads of love and cuddles but because some nosy person saw me shouting at my child for bad

manners and bad laungewage i have social service in my life now till they 18 ppl should mind there own business and look after there own

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

I am still convinced I did the right thing. In fact the child I was concerned at isat my house now as they are playing. I dont kniw how much longer they will be able to play together once they family realises I spoke my concerns.

With work I have had my dealing with social workers and what they have to put up with is amazing. In every employment there will always be good ones and bad ones. X

By *ruit OP   Woman
over a year ago

near kings lynn

Found out today the parents in question have been doing similar to other people too.

over a year ago

"i have children who are both very well looked after roof over head food in belly clothes on back shoes on feet and loads of love and cuddles but because some nosy person saw me shouting at my child for bad

manners and bad laungewage i have social service in my life now till they 18 ppl should mind there own business and look after there own "

Social services will only keep a case open if they have concerns.. Not just cos someone rang and made a complaint. If they investigate and are happy with everything then they just close the case

over a year ago

I have reported concerns to Social Services before and its something I would do again if I had them. Social Services are there to ensure that children and vulnerable adults are safe. I understand that some people have difficult dealings with Social Services, but the amount of good work they do outweighs the bad - I wouldn't hesitate in contacting them again about a child I was concerned about.

Post new Message to Thread