Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gel saddles

Jump to newest

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

Took my bicycle in for a service Wednesday and mentioned that my saddle was uncomfortable after a long recent ride. The shopowner suggested a Gel saddle which I went along with on his recommendation for £79.

Picked bike up today and already have to take it back as not happy with the gear changing and then noticed there's a tear in the saddle.

Anyone have any experience with these saddles?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Never used em. Just my WTB saddle and padded shorts.

Shop should replace that no worries, or thinking a totally different saddle

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Nope. Mine's lasted years and it cost about £15-£20.

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

"Never used em. Just my WTB saddle and padded shorts.

Shop should replace that no worries, or thinking a totally different saddle "

I was wondering about the padded shorts option but shopkeeper seemed to know what he was talking about or he saw a cash cow in front of him.

over a year ago

The OH has one to protect his delicate derriere and still says it hurts

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

"The OH has one to protect his delicate derriere and still says it hurts "

I was fearing that. I hadn't been on the bike for two years and did a 50 mile ride so expected some reaction. Guess it should get better the more I cycle but was told that this was the answer.

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

"Nope. Mine's lasted years and it cost about £15-£20."

Do you cycle regularly?

over a year ago

I went through about four different saddles on my TT bike until I got one I disliked the least. With my head down and leant forwards on the bike I was having major circulation issues with my little chap. The least bad saddle has a groove in the front bit of the saddle so relieves the pressure in that area.... but none of the ones I tried were 'comfy' realy and it gets expensive buying them to find they are no better than the last one.

Rob

over a year ago

"The OH has one to protect his delicate derriere and still says it hurts

I was fearing that. I hadn't been on the bike for two years and did a 50 mile ride so expected some reaction. Guess it should get better the more I cycle but was told that this was the answer. "

Its still far softer than his other one,I think hes after his bum cheeks being massaged if im honest

over a year ago

I was wondering about the padded shorts option but shopkeeper seemed to know what he was talking about or he saw a cash cow in front of him."

I do over 250 miles a week on a hard tail. mtb. I also did a 130 mile sportive last year, just using padded shorts. So once ya ass is used to it, this method works fine. Give em a try mate

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Ohh a man in cycle shorts....yum yum in my bum...

over a year ago

"Ohh a man in cycle shorts....yum yum in my bum... "

over a year ago

Decent padded shorts plus regular riding equals comfy ass.

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

I was wondering about the padded shorts option but shopkeeper seemed to know what he was talking about or he saw a cash cow in front of him.

I do over 250 miles a week on a hard tail. mtb. I also did a 130 mile sportive last year, just using padded shorts. So once ya ass is used to it, this method works fine. Give em a try mate "

Thanks for that....I will try the padded shorts plus a replacement saddle.

over a year ago

Yep, gel saddles are great, but I too paid less than £20 for a good one, new..

over a year ago

Padded shorts and wait for your sit bones to adjust

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

Shop should replace that no worries, or thinking a totally different saddle "

Saddle replaced with exactly the same saddle. No explanation as to how it could have happened.. no sharp bits on the jeans I was wearing at the time. Must have been a faulty part so replaced under warranty.

Gears adjusted too....so looks like a summer of cycling if the sun appears.

over a year ago

Saddle replaced with exactly the same saddle. No explanation as to how it could have happened.. no sharp bits on the jeans I was wearing at the time. Must have been a faulty part so replaced under warranty.

Gears adjusted too....so looks like a summer of cycling if the sun appears. "

Good stuff, any lbs worth their salt should have changed it.

Get yourself some wet weather riding gear pal. The rain shouldn't stop ya, it's the wind that's worse for us cyclists, although the lightening here today has stopped me

over a year ago

I am definitely a fair weather cyclist, as I am not very confident on the bike as it is.

The dog does not like it wet either, so no cycling/running next to the bike for us both if it rains.

over a year ago

Mine cost £8 from a generic sports outlet place- had it about 7-8 years and its still fine, only negative is it secures with a pull cord so can move a bit.

over a year ago

"Mine cost £8 from a generic sports outlet place- had it about 7-8 years and its still fine, only negative is it secures with a pull cord so can move a bit.

"

Think that's a gel cover mate, most of them slip and slide apparently. That would annoy the hell outta me, so never bothered.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 23/06/13 14:50:34]

over a year ago

"Mine cost £8 from a generic sports outlet place- had it about 7-8 years and its still fine, only negative is it secures with a pull cord so can move a bit.

Think that's a gel cover mate, most of them slip and slide apparently. That would annoy the hell outta me, so never bothered. "

Yep, but been told to just cover the seat with some double sided tape to fix it

over a year ago

I used to use a gel seat over the original bike saddle, and the gel started to leak after light use only.

I have since changed the saddle, and am resigned to the fact that the pain and discomfort will ease the more time I spend cycling.

over a year ago

"

I have since changed the saddle, and am resigned to the fact that the pain and discomfort will ease the more time I spend cycling.

"

^ This is the answer

By *arnayguyMan
over a year ago

Durham Tees

I just used to stick my ex's chicken fillet tit enlargers down my pants when she wasn't around. It worked for me.

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

I always found the more expensive the saddle, the more uncomfy it was. Especially when you haven't been on a bike for a long time. That said, the cheaper the saddle, the less easy it is to ride hard offroad.

I LOVED my X-lite kevlar saddle, which i rode for nigh on 8-9 years, but it died eventually. Not had a great saddle since, although the WTB Rocket V always looked good. Borrowed a £120 fi'zi:k saddle recently and that was rubbish too!

Simple thing (as has been said already, I'm sure) get one you don't hate and ride lots to build up the muscles. Oh and ALWAYS wear a good (usually expensive) set of proper cycling shorts.

*Him*

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I am using one (in spin classes admittedly so it might be different on the road) that cost less than 10 and it works well. I guess it depends a bit on the sensitivity and on getting used to it as well.

Post new Message to Thread