Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mocking?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is mocking ever acceptable? When does it turn bullying? Have you ever mocked someone and how long did you mock that person for and how often?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I once held the British and Commonwealth record for mocking....

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

In real life I think you have to know someone really well to be able to mock them. I have a friend from my old work and we seldom do anything but mock each other but we know the boundaries.

Online its a bit different because you rarely meet the people you are chatting with mug can develop a friendship of sorts. It's hard to set a level of mocking that becomes bullying really

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You know what?

It's subjective to the situation.

I joke with people yeah.

Not nasty. There's a difference.

I don't mock people out of spite unless someone is being a pure asshole.

Sorry to everyone I've ever been an asshole to...but you deserved it.

over a year ago

"I once held the British and Commonwealth record for mocking...."

I used to have a mocking horse as a child- it constantly ridiculed my riding style

over a year ago

"I once held the British and Commonwealth record for mocking....

I used to have a mocking horse as a child- it constantly ridiculed my riding style "

I find that difficult to believe

over a year ago

it depends on which way its done, my son takes the piss out of me but not in a nasty way most of the time and he makes me laugh because i can laugh at myself. where as my much older sister is very spiteful not just to me but a lot of other people too.

over a year ago

"I once held the British and Commonwealth record for mocking...."

I doubt someone like you could have

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

There is mocking where the mocker finds it amusing and then possibly their mocks could be seen as bullying.

There is also taking the piss where the other person can have a laugh and join in said piss taking.

But there can be a fine line and some do cross, and their mocking/piss taking could upset the person being mocked and if they continued mocking and the mockee had asked them repeately to stop, then I guess it could be seen as bullying.

But it all comes down to the situation

over a year ago

There is a point to this thread and so far I don't know what to say

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Gentle teasing I hope and I stop as soon as there's no smile

over a year ago

"Gentle teasing I hope and I stop as soon as the first punch strikes "

Thats a good time to stop

over a year ago

I've often thought this about comedy.

Much of comedy is based around mocking others, but is that really anything to admire?

I personally quite like fairly dry controversial stuff (Franky Boyle for an example but by no mean exclusively).

Could be why general observational comedy is fairly safe territory and well recieved other than it is based on things most can relate to.

over a year ago

"There is mocking where the mocker finds it amusing and then possibly their mocks could be seen as bullying.

There is also taking the piss where the other person can have a laugh and join in said piss taking.

But there can be a fine line and some do cross, and their mocking/piss taking could upset the person being mocked and if they continued mocking and the mockee had asked them repeately to stop, then I guess it could be seen as bullying.

But it all comes down to the situation "

I agree. On this site I feel like I have to be careful on what I say incase it happens. I wouldn't say people on here are capable of bullying. Yet they may mock if something extremely stupid is said/done.

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Not read all this an cant be botherd ever but I mock take the mick what ever you wona call it an I except it back with no problems. Its a forum its suposed to be fun an I know I for 1 wish no 1 any harm on here im playing having fun ffs its what its all about. Life sucks as it is laff a little youll live longer

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

teasing is not spiteful ..that is the only behaviour allowable on here as far as i am concerned . wont mock and wont bully .. and i will apologise if i offend by mistake un reservedly

over a year ago

"Is mocking ever acceptable? When does it turn bullying? Have you ever mocked someone and how long did you mock that person for and how often? "

It depends on circumstances and how its done. Someone can irritate you and you respond by mocking them without it even seeing the arse end of bullying never mind more. Its a form of interaction along with sarcasm and aggression which are frowned on by some yet others find amusing. Any balanced person with whit will be able to respond in kind or with some scathing repose anyway.

By *ibbyhunterCouple
over a year ago

keighley

thought a mocker was a cross between a mod and a rocker, sorry i'll get my coat.

over a year ago

"There is a point to this thread and so far I don't know what to say "

I'm intrigued...

By *hyllyphyllyMan
over a year ago

Bradford

I heard the difference is intent.

If I was good friends with a black guy called Dave for years, and called him "Darky Dave", he knows there would be no racist intent.

But if the same guy started a job in the place I worked and I said to someone else "That's Darky Dave", I'm pretty sure I'd get fired.

(Please note I know no one called Dave, black or white )

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

"There is a point to this thread and so far I don't know what to say

I'm intrigued...

"

I give up

over a year ago

I'm intrigued...

"

Well I have sent a few private messages and said something in a post that just showed how unknowledgeable I am. Just curious on what the reaction would be and how to view people's replies to what I have said.

over a year ago

I'm intrigued...

Well I have sent a few private messages and said something in a post that just showed how unknowledgeable I am. Just curious on what the reaction would be and how to view people's replies to what I have said. "

Try not to worry too much. You can't know everything about everything. Some people are experienced/ knowledgeable and some aren't.

Just wish I could take my own advice!! x

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

I'm intrigued...

Well I have sent a few private messages and said something in a post that just showed how unknowledgeable I am. Just curious on what the reaction would be and how to view people's replies to what I have said. "

im guessing your new ya ? Its no problem we all was at some point best thing I can say is watch ppls posts find some1 you relate to (posibly ur own sex is best unless your gay bi) an respetfull explain in a mail what you dont understand or having a problem with. I no if it was me you mailed so long as your not being a knob if I can help I will no problem an on the whole most are the same but im better

over a year ago

I'm intrigued...

Well I have sent a few private messages and said something in a post that just showed how unknowledgeable I am. Just curious on what the reaction would be and how to view people's replies to what I have said.

im guessing your new ya ? Its no problem we all was at some point best thing I can say is watch ppls posts find some1 you relate to (posibly ur own sex is best unless your gay bi) an respetfull explain in a mail what you dont understand or having a problem with. I no if it was me you mailed so long as your not being a knob if I can help I will no problem an on the whole most are the same but im better "

I am new yes. Most people are nice, so who do I have to watch out for then?

over a year ago

I don't mock.. Tease a little, but I'm not on here or elsewhere for that matter to mock/bully others. Treat others as I would want to be treated, no matter how much of a pain in the arse they are!

over a year ago

"I don't mock.. Tease a little, but I'm not on here or elsewhere for that matter to mock/bully others. Treat others as I would want to be treated, no matter how much of a pain in the arse they are! "

I doubt anyone is, but they could use someone else's stupidity as a laugh and that is a bonus to them. Also as for teasing. I bet most/all women are on here? Lol.

And there's me thinking some women on here like a pain in the arse

over a year ago

"I don't mock.. Tease a little, but I'm not on here or elsewhere for that matter to mock/bully others. Treat others as I would want to be treated, no matter how much of a pain in the arse they are!

I doubt anyone is, but they could use someone else's stupidity as a laugh and that is a bonus to them. Also as for teasing. I bet most/all women are on here? Lol.

And there's me thinking some women on here like a pain in the arse "

Oh I don't know, some come on here just to be keyboard troll warriors. Happens all over the net. Seen on these forums. One person starts it, the bandwagon arrives to get on it too! Happens in the chatrooms too!

P.s.. Heard some guys like a pain in the atrse too!???

over a year ago

"I don't mock.. Tease a little, but I'm not on here or elsewhere for that matter to mock/bully others. Treat others as I would want to be treated, no matter how much of a pain in the arse they are!

And there's me thinking some women on here like a pain in the arse

Oh I don't know, some come on here just to be keyboard troll warriors. Happens all over the net. Seen on these forums. One person starts it, the bandwagon arrives to get on it too! Happens in the chatrooms too!

P.s.. Heard some guys like a pain in the atrse too!???"

Yes I know. They are called "women" .

over a year ago

" I am new yes. Most people are nice, so who do I have to watch out for then?"

The ones we nearly need to watch out for are ourselves....

over a year ago

To me anyone who engages in malicious mockery intended to cause offence and humiliation is sending a strong signal that their own vulnerability is so close to the surface they try hiding their weakness by attacking others……

But there are some people who do it just because they are twats..

Post new Message to Thread