Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gardening Leave..

Jump to newest

By *isscheekychops OP   Woman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

What is it excatly..you hear people say they are on gardening leave from their employment...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

never heard that term before

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"What is it excatly..you hear people say they are on gardening leave from their employment..."

when they have resigned for whatever reason they cannot work their notice period (perhaps going to a competitor) so they are paid to stay at home..

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

It's when they have to give notice but their job is too high profile for the company yo risk them cocking things up or stealing clients and contacts etc

over a year ago

It is amazing is what it is, I have had the great pleasure myself.

over a year ago

Lolol I got asked that question a month ago at work.

She said my boss put her on gardening leave and what it meant?

She was an awesome girl but I didnt have it in me to tell her. I used to help her out a lot.

But...

When the employee says it..it means your having a break.

When your boss says it, it means your getting packed off aka fired!

She got fired.

over a year ago

It can also be when the company has cocked up and suspended someone and they need to sort out all the little details but recognise that person should not have been suspended - gardening leave is normally taken on full pay

over a year ago

*disclaimer* I have not been put on gardening leave...lol

over a year ago

It can also mean fired on full pay.

It could also mean you know too much and they fire ya. Well..they call it gardening leave lol.

over a year ago

"When your boss says it, it means your getting packed off aka fired!"

No, it means you are a leaving the role and in a position of being to liable to the company you are with so are to leave immediately.

Most people don't even get to clear their desks.

I got a month sat at home in my pants.

over a year ago

My post doesn't make sense but you can catch the drift.

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

its in your contract that they have to give you, for example 3 months notice, but for what ever reason would rather you stayed at home and so pay you not to come to work... its great if you can get it !

over a year ago

Garden leave = spending your notice period away from work, usually at home, however, you are not allowed to work for anyone else.

That's how I understand it.

over a year ago

Exactly that.... i was put on it a few years ago, back in the days when summers were summers..... 3 months of it, May til' July.......... !!! I wasn't allowed to work for the new company, nor speak to any of it's customers, in case i'd steal them away..... Which, after 3 months i did anyway

over a year ago

"Garden leave = spending your notice period away from work, usually at home, however, you are not allowed to work for anyone else."

Excellent definition.

over a year ago

"Garden leave = spending your notice period away from work, usually at home, however, you are not allowed to work for anyone else.

Excellent definition.

"

over a year ago

"Exactly that.... i was put on it a few years ago, back in the days when summers were summers..... 3 months of it, May til' July.......... !!! I wasn't allowed to work for the new company, nor speak to any of it's customers, in case i'd steal them away..... Which, after 3 months i did anyway "

Thats nawty....

over a year ago

" Most people don't even get to clear their desks.

I got a month sat at home in my pants. "

Did you leave all your clothes on your desk

over a year ago

Gardening leave I have been on that only the once tho

over a year ago

Most business's will put you on gardening leave to serve out your notice period when you leave employment. You will normally get it if the role is such that you can duly influence you new business activities from your current role.

E.g have access to sensitive company information, or clients that may move with you.

However a lot of companies now put restricted covenants in contracts. That will restrict your activities against them. Stealing customers etc. They are upholdable and can cost a lot of money if you break them.

over a year ago

" Most people don't even get to clear their desks.

I got a month sat at home in my pants.

Did you leave all your clothes on your desk "

Haha!!

over a year ago

"Exactly that.... i was put on it a few years ago, back in the days when summers were summers..... 3 months of it, May til' July.......... !!! I wasn't allowed to work for the new company, nor speak to any of it's customers, in case i'd steal them away..... Which, after 3 months i did anyway

Thats nawty.... "

Buuuuut..... perfectly legal.... and it served em' right for trying to take me to court

By *ickloverMan
over a year ago

Devizes

Yep ! I'm in the process of slipping away some ex customers into the new one I work for. It's very cool. ! I love gardening leave !!

over a year ago

"Most business's will put you on gardening leave to serve out your notice period when you leave employment. You will normally get it if the role is such that you can duly influence you new business activities from your current role.

E.g have access to sensitive company information, or clients that may move with you.

However a lot of companies now put restricted covenants in contracts. That will restrict your activities against them. Stealing customers etc. They are upholdable and can cost a lot of money if you break them. "

been trying that for years, one company even tried to stop me moving to the same work I was doing but with a diff company, and it got them know where, but I suppose it depends on if it's what type if business you are in, I was in sales and that restriction can not apply

By *ecor atorMan
over a year ago

York

Restrictive covenants aren't worth the paper they writen on.

Any employment contract containing them is void as once employment is terminated for whatever reason, the contract ends there.

I found that out to my benefit when ex employer tried to sue me for the covenant breach when I took a load of old customers with me. The court found that there was no contract as employment has ceased and the clause with it.

over a year ago

I was on garden leave from my previous job. I was a sales manager but changed profession to a football coach.

I was already doing a couple of hours per week on my new career during my normal hours in sales. Problem was I had a tracking system on my car, they could see I was in the same place every week at the same time.

Before I got caught (approx 2 months) I decided to put my notice in & tell them I was going to their biggest competitor. I called my boss & he told me to go straight home & divert my phone to his & I was now on a months garden leave.

In that month I set up my own coaching business.

I informed them of this during my leavers interview & had great pleasure in doing so!! Lol.

over a year ago

"Restrictive covenants aren't worth the paper they writen on.

Any employment contract containing them is void as once employment is terminated for whatever reason, the contract ends there."

I thought that (although I admit that I never actually looked into it) as surely once a contract has terminated, everything in it is null and void too?

After my above example of my gardening leave, I had a few rather 'wordy' warnings from my previous employers solictor about breach of my contract (caveats for after it had expired).

Smelt like bullshit to me but I don't have a solictor so couldn't be bothered with the aggro.

over a year ago

What is it called if you're a gardener and they do it?

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Its great. Very common in the industry I work in. Although I did get a bit bored when I resigned from a job with a 12 week notice period......4 weeks is plenty.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I had it once when I got pushed out of a job and was awaiting an appeal. In that time, I found a better job, creosoted all the fences, started two projects, got under the wife's feet and watched all 4 series of When the boat comes in.

I thoroughly enjoyed mine.

By *heffmMan
over a year ago

sheffield

"What is it called if you're a gardener and they do it? "
. Block paving leave

Post new Message to Thread