Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

what would you do

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

If another child on your street came out waving a kitchen knife at other child?

Said child is about 6 and possibly has adhd

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I would take the knife off him.

By *lentyoffun40Couple
over a year ago

Lancashire

"I would take the knife off him."

Common sense

Then take him to his parents

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

Panic.

It's a tricky one coz if you just went and grabbed the knife off them the parents will prob try to make out that you've assaulted there child or something but I'd be more worried that one of the kids would get hurt to care I think, especially if you think the child has a problem!

over a year ago

This

and call the police ....

over a year ago

I would first get the other child/children out of harms way.

over a year ago

Adhd is no excuse if parents teach good and bad. Personally and i accept in not all cases adhd is too easily used as excusing plain bad behaviour.

over a year ago

This and take said child to the parents

over a year ago

"I would take the knife off him.

This and take said child to the parents "

+1,

By *lentyoffun40Couple
over a year ago

Lancashire

"Adhd is no excuse if parents teach good and bad. Personally and i accept in not all cases adhd is too easily used as excusing plain bad behaviour."

I take a slightly different view which I call

Ppp

Piss poor parenting

over a year ago

call police and try get to parents without alerting child/children.

as for adhd i am a mother of a child with this and had it diagnosed professionally. it annoys me when it is losely used as an excuse for behaviour its a serious conditon and should be treated so.

over a year ago

Waving a knife and threatening someone?

Waving a knife and saying its ok this will get the dogshit out the soles of me trainers?

Either way its not a very clever idea and id tell him to take it back indoors because it dangerous and they may hurt someone by accident

ppp? I feel thats an immediate judgement without really knowing all the facts

over a year ago

I have quite a lot of contact with people with ADHD diagnoses. They seem to fall into two camps; those who have a genuine medical condition whose condition makes it genuinely hard for them to function easily within normal society and those whose parents have managed to get them a diagnosis in order to excuse themselves from any responsibility for having spawned and raised a disobedient toerag.

over a year ago

Oh and take the knife off him; inform the parents of both children involved and let them sort it out. if I was the parent of the child's friend I'd consider ringing the police.

over a year ago

Bit more info for you.

Another neighbour asks him where he got it and tells him to return it which he does.

My child is crying his eyes out scared

Mother of child is said to be in the shower according to older sister who's about 12/13

over a year ago

Go tell the woman to look after her progeny.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

Why do people not have cupboard and drawer locks when there are young kids in the house? Kids get in anywhere, knives, bleach, doesn't bear thinking about!!

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

*bare!!!

Bare thinking about x

over a year ago

lick the little shits head in

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"lick the little shits head in"

A 6 year old??

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

take the knife off said child, take child home speak to the parent..If said thing happened again report to child services..

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

Surely that would just make him dribbly and annoyed?

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I wouldn't have attempted to take the knife, no knowing what could have happened.

Neighbour had best idea just talking to the kid and telling them what to do.

Easy for others to just with regards to parenting skills. His mum maybe thought sister was looking after him.

over a year ago

Is that a version of tough love ive not come across yet?

By *lentyoffun40Couple
over a year ago

Lancashire

"Waving a knife and threatening someone?

Waving a knife and saying its ok this will get the dogshit out the soles of me trainers?

Either way its not a very clever idea and id tell him to take it back indoors because it dangerous and they may hurt someone by accident

ppp? I feel thats an immediate judgement without really knowing all the facts "

I wasn't judging anyone , especially the parent in this case

However look at the facts .. He is 6 . He has a knife . He could possibly have a condition that makes the situation worse

Where's the parents ?

PPP

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"*bare!!!

Bare thinking about x "

it is bear isn't it? you've got me doubting it now

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

His mum was in the shower and his older sister was about, when I was 12 I had a one year old brother that I often looked after when my mum was in the bath, busy etc so I don't think you can say that his mum wasn't taking proper care...even parents of six year olds need to go to the loo and take showers.

This could just be a case of someone taking their eye off the ball for a split second, it happens even in the best regulated households.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"*bare!!!

Bare thinking about x

it is bear isn't it? you've got me doubting it now "

Yes it is bear lol

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"*bare!!!

Bare thinking about x

Yes it is bear lol"

I was right the first time?? Didn't look right. I've had 3 hours sleep in 48 hours!

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"*bare!!!

Bare thinking about x

Yes it is bear lol

I was right the first time?? Didn't look right. I've had 3 hours sleep in 48 hours! "

So is it 'bear with me' as well then? And wtf have big gruffly animals got to do with anything? I'm confused x

over a year ago

Toughie. I wouldn't attempt to take the knife as he might get scared, turn and run and maybe trip... Not good! I would just tell him to go put it back and speak to the parents. I'm sure if they are half decent ones they would be shocked and nip it in the bud sharpish! If the parents are non responding and it happens again, i would contact social services and/or the police!

over a year ago

"call police and try get to parents without alerting child/children.

as for adhd i am a mother of a child with this and had it diagnosed professionally. it annoys me when it is losely used as an excuse for behaviour its a serious conditon and should be treated so. "

totally agree with you on this!..why do people automatically think a child is bad oh he/she must have ADHD...give your head a shake will ya!..its a condition. ..my kids are extreamly well behaved!...one of my daughters have ADHD..people need to understand about the condition its just those who think they know about it.when they havent a clue!!..

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"*bare!!!

Bare thinking about x

Yes it is bear lol

I was right the first time?? Didn't look right. I've had 3 hours sleep in 48 hours!

So is it 'bear with me' as well then? And wtf have big gruffly animals got to do with anything? I'm confused x "

its "bear" as in "bear the load" rather than grizzly .

As an aside a teacher once had a letter from a parent asking that her child not be made to do PE in "bear feet"...I had an image of a poor child being made to do forward rolls with an enormous pair of bears feet slippers on.

over a year ago

Shout "Look! Santa!" then as he turned away I'd give him the biggest wedgie he's ever had.

over a year ago

I'd pull out my knife and say "that's not a knife... THIS is a knife"

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

Get between them so child two wad safe then try to get knife child to either put it down or take it back to its house and let its parent deal with it . I think the police should be called

over a year ago

Thanks for your replies, it's a hard situation really. The kid is hard work, I thought he was just a horrible kid but I'm not so sure, he goes to a special school where a bus picks him up but I've heard from their neighbours that they won't have him on the bus anymore because he hits other children. I've had work with his mum before when he pushed my 3 year old off his scooter for no reason. Seems like mum puts a lot of responsibility on her eldest daughter. He was playing out with the middle sister who is about 9 when he went and got the knife. I was inside but my friend who lives 5 doors down was watching the kids. I came out when I heard shouting and saw the kid with the knife, my 6 year old was sobbing and scared. He took it inside when he was told and my friend and I waited at the door to speak to mum, it was then we were told she was in the shower.

I brought the kids in and phoned the police because I didn't know what else to do. I felt bad and a bit silly for calling them on a six year old. It wasn't malicious but I felt I needed it to be recorded and it needed to be addressed. I kept asking myself 'what if?'. He's the type of kid who wouldn't think twice about stabbing another kid with it., not because he's vicious but because of his problems I don't think he sees the danger.

Hopefully a police visit will be a good thing, especially if she is struggling with him, I see her come out and speak to my friend and she looked gutted, if it means this gets her more help then that can only be a good thing

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I would have gone out and shot him with ma water pistol, thrown a stink bomb at him and threatened him with ma catapult before disarming the enemy and then given him a Chinese burn

Job done

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I know it was probably scary for the other children but was he threatening them with it?

I would have waited For the mum to get out of the shower and would have spoken to het about it. Perhaps calling the police could be viewed as antagonistic and would prevent any future collaboration when the kid is naughty again.

Not swayby what you did was wrong as its what you felt was the best thing at the time but personally if the child was compliant when gold to put the knife back it doesn't sound like there was much malisciousness in his behavior.

Post new Message to Thread