Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Feeling sad

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Not looking for sympathy or even replies, just needed to get this down somewhere.

My wonderful mother was diagnosed with early onset alzhiemers at the age of 59. Now at the age of 63 she's in the final stages of the disease. Today, she confirmed what I'd suspected for a while, she doesn't know I'm her daughter.

Although I had thought this was the case for a while having it confirmed has really upset me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It must be really awful and I'm sorry to hear that, I sending you a big cyber hug xx

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

had the same thing happen with my dad .. maybe she will come and go and recognise you for short bursts... hugs xxx

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

can imagine it has upset you. Have been through a similar experience and it is as you say soul destroying as they do seem to become children again. I wish you all the very best for the future and hope you have a very good support network to help you

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

That is tough! And I dont believe any amount of "knowing" about the disease can quite prepare you for that moment - it is a really sad loss for you. So sorry to hear that. xx

over a year ago

I see this daily the hurt i see in families faces gets me all the time I weep with them soppy i know but they also see we have feeling too

over a year ago

"can imagine it has upset you. Have been through a similar experience and it is as you say soul destroying as they do seem to become children again. I wish you all the very best for the future and hope you have a very good support network to help you "
This we have been through it too take as much support as you can find and we wish you all the very best too

over a year ago

Sorry to hear your news I can't imagine what it must be like. Take care of yourself x

By *ickloverMan
over a year ago

Devizes

Went through the same with my mother. Thankfully she was in her 80s but it was heartbreaking , she even lost the ability to speak. The strange thing was although she forgot who I was and nearly everything else, she still recognised our dog !

over a year ago

i am sooo sorry xx big hugs xxx

over a year ago

sorry to hear that, it must be awful for you.

over a year ago

My Dad and brother both had Alzhiemers,and it broke my heart to see them receeding into not remembering anything except their very early years.My brother got it a 72,and Dad got it at 82,so I am dreading the forth come years.They say it is hereditary in the family,I hope I am the exception to the rule.

over a year ago

Its a cruel illness, leaving the person a shell of thier former self. Its terrible for famillies to watch, my heart goes out to you. Big hugs xx

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thank you for your kind words. Mum still recognises me but just as a visitor/carer rather than her daughter.

Its Dad I feel for the most, he's her main carer & with her every day, he's aged 10 years in the last 2. Sometimes I worry I'm losing both of them to this disease

over a year ago

I am very sorry to hear this. My friends mother has this and she also doesn't know her daughter or husband.

It was my friends sons wedding a few months ago and her mother went to the church ceremony with a carer from the nursing home. I heard her say to my friend 'are you the queen'.

It is heartbreaking for you but hopefully even though this illness is awful, you will still have special treasured moments with your mother.

over a year ago

My mum is at a similar stage; sometimes she does know who I am but it's rare now. She's in her own happy little world, as are a lot of sufferers, so the real victims of all types of dementia are the families.

I feel for you.

over a year ago

So sorry and big hugs xx

over a year ago

So sorry xxxxx

over a year ago