Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

gammon shank

Jump to newest

By *ittle_brat_evie!! OP   Woman
over a year ago

evesham

How do I cook a gammon shank? Bought one frI'm Morrison's but mot sure how to cook it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"How do I cook a gammon shank? Bought one frI'm Morrison's but mot sure how to cook it. "

I thought this was a rhyming slang thread

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Slow roast it

Or boil it then put some honey glaze and stick it in the oven...

over a year ago

Just roast it in the oven like you would with other joints.

I normally get the pre-cooked ones from the hot food counter and they are lush!

Good luck!

over a year ago

evesham

"Just roast it in the oven like you would with other joints.

I normally get the pre-cooked ones from the hot food counter and they are lush!

Good luck!"

I get them too and eat the fat while it's still warm but a bit sticky lol

over a year ago

I believe it is quite difficult to get the skin to go very crispy without drying out the meat when you cook it at home.

I can normally find some crispy bits on the skin for the ones I buy from Morrisons, and would eat what I can and discard the rest.

I do like the skin when it is all soft and gooey due to the high gelatin content, however, it is too fatty to eat it all on my own!

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

pot roast it with a litttle bit of cider and maybe a dribble of honey

over a year ago

"Slow roast it

Or boil it then put some honey glaze and stick it in the oven..."

This... maybedd a few cloves to the meat for flavour

Boil it then keep the stock to make some lentil soup...

over a year ago

evesham

We'll I've rubbed some Jamaican jerk seasoning on it and chucked it in a low oven. Let's see what happens lol

The soup from stock idea sound yummy but I'm not sure I can eat lentils. Where's fornix when you need her

By * Jay69Man
over a year ago

Bridgwater - Somerset

cloves - in the skin

garlic - poked into knife cut.

Yum

over a year ago

If you don't like you shank salty soak in overnight, then either roast or boil, if roasting cover in honey for a nice tasty and crispy skin

over a year ago

"We'll I've rubbed some Jamaican jerk seasoning on it and chucked it in a low oven. Let's see what happens lol

The soup from stock idea sound yummy but I'm not sure I can eat lentils. Where's fornix when you need her "

don't worry about the lentil they normally boil away to nothing and and just turn to mush and mixes in well

over a year ago

If I were to make a soup with a gammon shank, I would make a ham/gammon and pea soup.

After roasting the shank, I would take off the meat, and chuck the skin and bone into a pot to make stock.

I would save and dice some of the meat to go into the soup.

Slowly brown some chopped garlic and onion, before adding the stock to the pan.

Add frozen peas to the pot and bring it to a fast boil.

Add the reserved ham/gammon to the pot and allow to simmer gently for about 30min.

Add some creme fraiche and chopped parsley to the pot before liquidising the lot, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

One of my favourite soup in the winter months.

over a year ago

evesham

"We'll I've rubbed some Jamaican jerk seasoning on it and chucked it in a low oven. Let's see what happens lol

The soup from stock idea sound yummy but I'm not sure I can eat lentils. Where's fornix when you need her don't worry about the lentil they normally boil away to nothing and and just turn to mush and mixes in well"

It's the carbs I need to worry about x I like lentils but not sure they like me

over a year ago

If peas are no good in my recipe due to the carbohydrate content, try broccoli instead, as I believe it should still work.

over a year ago

"If I were to make a soup with a gammon shank, I would make a ham/gammon and pea soup.

After roasting the shank, I would take off the meat, and chuck the skin and bone into a pot to make stock.

I would save and dice some of the meat to go into the soup.

Slowly brown some chopped garlic and onion, before adding the stock to the pan.

Add frozen peas to the pot and bring it to a fast boil.

Add the reserved ham/gammon to the pot and allow to simmer gently for about 30min.

Add some creme fraiche and chopped parsley to the pot before liquidising the lot, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

One of my favourite soup in the winter months. "

Noooooooooooooo....!!!!!!!!!! You cant throw roasted shank skin into a stock pot....

It's the best bit.....!!!

Ill have the skin and the bone..... You can have all the meat....

over a year ago

"How do I cook a gammon shank? Bought one frI'm Morrison's but mot sure how to cook it. "

With you're dodgy fridge and lack of cooking skills remind me not to come to you'rs for a meal

over a year ago

evesham

"How do I cook a gammon shank? Bought one frI'm Morrison's but mot sure how to cook it.

With you're dodgy fridge and lack of cooking skills remind me not to come to you'rs for a meal "

Hey. I'm a good cook!! Not killed anyone yet and if people are coming for tea I buy fresh that day

over a year ago

"How do I cook a gammon shank? Bought one frI'm Morrison's but mot sure how to cook it.

With you're dodgy fridge and lack of cooking skills remind me not to come to you'rs for a meal

Hey. I'm a good cook!! Not killed anyone yet and if people are coming for tea I buy fresh that day "

Well Ok, but if I'm ill the next day I make a lousy patient

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

hows the shank getting on must be nearly cooked by now xx

over a year ago

evesham

"hows the shank getting on must be nearly cooked by now xx"

shit!! forgot abou it!!!

By *nnebellWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

The soup from stock idea sound yummy but I'm not sure I can eat lentils. Where's fornix when you need her don't worry about the lentil they normally boil away to nothing and and just turn to mush and mixes in well

Brown pue lentals are good for diabetics. You just have to keep an eye on the portioning. and

It's the carbs I need to worry about x I like lentils but not sure they like me "

over a year ago

Hey. I'm a good cook!! Not killed anyone yet and if people are coming for tea I buy fresh that day "

I have to confirm she is a good cook. Not killed me yet.

over a year ago

Put it in a slow cooker, low-medium heat all day but put in about 1cm of water to keep it moist. Take off the fat at the end and put that in a conventional oven to crisp up. Let it rest for at least an hour before carving. It might well fall apart even when cold though. Whilst you make a cauliflower cheese to go with it, you can eat the crackling out of the oven and you don't need to share it with anyone.

Post new Message to Thread