Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

holidays with kids

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Im takin my youngest son who is autistic. he has to wear glasses and was refused passport cause he wore glasses on passport pic an i have to have a meeting with a social worker over grandson as im taking him with me opinions pls

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *opping_candyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Sorry I'm not sure what you want an opinion on?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Whitstable is nice

over a year ago

"Sorry I'm not sure what you want an opinion on? "
why we are in that position sorry

over a year ago

"Sorry I'm not sure what you want an opinion on? why we are in that position sorry"

What position? The passport rules are clear, no glasses can be worn in the pics, all pics must be taken with glasses off!

over a year ago

"Sorry I'm not sure what you want an opinion on? why we are in that position sorry

What position? The passport rules are clear, no glasses can be worn in the pics, all pics must be taken with glasses off! "

he panics cause he knows he needs them

By *opping_candyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Is your grandson the child of your autistic son? I don't see how anyone could offer any helpful advice really, there could be any number of variables that mean the social worker wants to speak to you. As for the passport, if the rules say no glasses then I guess that's why , though having not applied for a passport in well over 13 years I don't know.

over a year ago

"Sorry I'm not sure what you want an opinion on? why we are in that position sorry

What position? The passport rules are clear, no glasses can be worn in the pics, all pics must be taken with glasses off! he panics cause he knows he needs them"

Take him to a shop that does passport phot's when it's quiet, explain the situation to them, get everything set up and remove his glasses for the shortest possible time while getting the photo taken. Reassure him all the time it will only be for a few seconds, then asap give him his glasses back ant that's it done.

By *opping_candyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

Yes good suggestion, Max Spielmann do them

over a year ago

"Is your grandson the child of your autistic son? I don't see how anyone could offer any helpful advice really, there could be any number of variables that mean the social worker wants to speak to you. As for the passport, if the rules say no glasses then I guess that's why , though having not applied for a passport in well over 13 years I don't know."
i just wanted to know how we got to this stage it means getting him to take glasses of through pass control

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I know autistic children can make things harder but I am not sure that there is any get around the fact you can't wear glasses. Under the equality act you can ask for a reasonable adjustment but is it reasonable to ask the government to make a a change in the security policy fir the country?

Is it not possible to talk him through, maybe sit in the floor of the booth and reassure him. It is only for a minute.

over a year ago

What position? The passport rules are clear, no glasses can be worn in the pics, all pics must be taken with glasses off! he panics cause he knows he needs them

Thank you not thought of that

Take him to a shop that does passport phot's when it's quiet, explain the situation to them, get everything set up and remove his glasses for the shortest possible time while getting the photo taken. Reassure him all the time it will only be for a few seconds, then asap give him his glasses back ant that's it done. "

over a year ago

"Is your grandson the child of your autistic son? I don't see how anyone could offer any helpful advice really, there could be any number of variables that mean the social worker wants to speak to you. As for the passport, if the rules say no glasses then I guess that's why , though having not applied for a passport in well over 13 years I don't know.i just wanted to know how we got to this stage it means getting him to take glasses of through pass control"

No it doesn't, you don't have to take your glasses off every time you go through passport control, just not allowed them in the pics, never seen anyone have to take thier glasses off, unless they are sunglasses.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Is your grandson the child of your autistic son? I don't see how anyone could offer any helpful advice really, there could be any number of variables that mean the social worker wants to speak to you. As for the passport, if the rules say no glasses then I guess that's why , though having not applied for a passport in well over 13 years I don't know.i just wanted to know how we got to this stage it means getting him to take glasses of through pass control"

No it doesn't. I wear glasses and have never been asked to take them off at passport control that I can remember. It's just for the picture.

over a year ago

You only have to take them off for the phot because of reflection from the flash etc and it can distort your facial features. Once it's done that's it.

over a year ago

"Is your grandson the child of your autistic son? I don't see how anyone could offer any helpful advice really, there could be any number of variables that mean the social worker wants to speak to you. As for the passport, if the rules say no glasses then I guess that's why , though having not applied for a passport in well over 13 years I don't know.i just wanted to know how we got to this stage it means getting him to take glasses of through pass control

No it doesn't, you don't have to take your glasses off every time you go through passport control, just not allowed them in the pics, never seen anyone have to take thier glasses off, unless they are sunglasses. "

why the photo without then just seems silly

over a year ago

"Is your grandson the child of your autistic son? I don't see how anyone could offer any helpful advice really, there could be any number of variables that mean the social worker wants to speak to you. As for the passport, if the rules say no glasses then I guess that's why , though having not applied for a passport in well over 13 years I don't know.i just wanted to know how we got to this stage it means getting him to take glasses of through pass control

No it doesn't, you don't have to take your glasses off every time you go through passport control, just not allowed them in the pics, never seen anyone have to take thier glasses off, unless they are sunglasses. why the photo without then just seems silly"

Read my last post, not silly at all.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

You do not need to take your glasses off when passing through passport control unless specifically asked to do so on grounds of uncertainty.

This I believe is very rare indeed.

I would follow the advise of going into a quiet photographic shop who will help to ease the situation with an autistic customer.

over a year ago

"You do not need to take your glasses off when passing through passport control unless specifically asked to do so on grounds of uncertainty.

This I believe is very rare indeed.

I would follow the advise of going into a quiet photographic shop who will help to ease the situation with an autistic customer.

"

thanks jane

over a year ago

There is no set fast rule about not having glasses on for your passport photo, if the are large frames, hide any important facial features or show any reflection of light in them that can be refused. I renewed my passport last year and have my glasses on in the picture. Read these guidelines for more information http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@travel/documents/digitalasset/dg_174925.pdf.

over a year ago

are these Dark Glasses he wears or just normal clear glasses

Post new Message to Thread