Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

It's Refugee Week

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Spare a thought for all of those who felt desperate enough to leave everything behind to get away from the horrors they were facing.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I totally agree!

although I suspect this discussion will take a nasty turn at some point sadly.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

although I suspect this discussion will take a nasty turn at some point sadly."

This ^

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I hope not. I can't see that living in starvation conditions in a refugee camp is what anyone would wish on another.

over a year ago

"Spare a thought for all of those who felt desperate enough to leave everything behind to get away from the horrors they were facing."

i prefer to spare a thought for the poor in this country.

there will always be bad things happening in other countries and there isnt much that will ever change that.

they cant exactly all come and live here can they?

over a year ago

"Spare a thought for all of those who felt desperate enough to leave everything behind to get away from the horrors they were facing.

i prefer to spare a thought for the poor in this country.

there will always be bad things happening in other countries and there isnt much that will ever change that.

they cant exactly all come and live here can they?

"

They don't all come here. Dear lord, read the original post. It wasn't about them coming here, it was about them escaping from where they are.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I hope not. I can't see that living in starvation conditions in a refugee camp is what anyone would wish on another."

And so it begins

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I hope not. I can't see that living in starvation conditions in a refugee camp is what anyone would wish on another."

I think if people actually went to places where refugees come from they might have more empathy.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I hope not. I can't see that living in starvation conditions in a refugee camp is what anyone would wish on another.

I think if people actually went to places where refugees come from they might have more empathy. "

Yes, but it's easier to avoid empathy overload by ignoring it all. G8 can't avoid talking about some of this.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I think if people actually went to places where refugees come from they might have more empathy. "

i dont think you actualy need to go there, you see it on the television all the time. i get more upset about starving animals, also the people in this country who have had their benefits cut, like disabled people who are unable to work.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I think if people actually went to places where refugees come from they might have more empathy.

i dont think you actualy need to go there, you see it on the television all the time. i get more upset about starving animals, also the people in this country who have had their benefits cut, like disabled people who are unable to work."

I'm sorry, you're more upset by starving animals than by people living in refugee camps? Do you have any idea what goes on in them? Or indeed why people end up there? I'm afraid I find that astonishing.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

i dont think you actualy need to go there, you see it on the television all the time. i get more upset about starving animals, also the people in this country who have had their benefits cut, like disabled people who are unable to work.

I'm sorry, you're more upset by starving animals than by people living in refugee camps? Do you have any idea what goes on in them? Or indeed why people end up there? I'm afraid I find that astonishing. "

I think empathy in any direction should be embraced ... it's those that don't give a feck about anything but themself that need to be judged.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I'm sorry, you're more upset by starving animals than by people living in refugee camps? Do you have any idea what goes on in them? Or indeed why people end up there? I'm afraid I find that astonishing. "

you find it astonishing that i get more upset about starving animals, well i am entitled to my opinion as you are yours, and of course i know why they are in refugee camps and what goes on in them. i watch russia today and live leak.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I'm sorry, you're more upset by starving animals than by people living in refugee camps? Do you have any idea what goes on in them? Or indeed why people end up there? I'm afraid I find that astonishing.

you find it astonishing that i get more upset about starving animals, well i am entitled to my opinion as you are yours, and of course i know why they are in refugee camps and what goes on in them. i watch russia today and live leak."

So an infant in a refugee camp who's lost his mother and is starving due to war and famine is less deserving than a puppy? I really don't think you do, watching it on tv is like saying you understand the music business because you've watched Xfactor.

over a year ago

The OP was asking us to spare a thought for those who are refugees, I assumed that people would follow suit, I'm quite frankly amazed someone would use this as a reason to put one group of people above another (or indeed fluffy bunnies above people).

The poor and disenfranchised in any country deserve better, those who are disabled deserve better. But, to use this post to dismiss one group for another is fundamentally wrong.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

you find it astonishing that i get more upset about starving animals, well i am entitled to my opinion as you are yours, and of course i know why they are in refugee camps and what goes on in them. i watch russia today and live leak.

So an infant in a refugee camp who's lost his mother and is starving due to war and famine is less deserving than a puppy? I really don't think you do, watching it on tv is like saying you understand the music business because you've watched Xfactor."

yes i do care of course i do its all very sad, its just that i would care more about a starving puppy, sorry if you dont agree with that, but i am entitled to my opinion as everyone else is, or so i thought.

i dont need to go and see a starving puppy to get upset about it either.

over a year ago

You are entitled to your opinion, but don't expect it to go unchallenged when you say you care more for a starving puppy than a starving baby

over a year ago

"The OP was asking us to spare a thought for those who are refugees, I assumed that people would follow suit, I'm quite frankly amazed someone would use this as a reason to put one group of people above another (or indeed fluffy bunnies above people).

The poor and disenfranchised in any country deserve better, those who are disabled deserve better. But, to use this post to dismiss one group for another is fundamentally wrong."

Not just fluffy bunnies and puppies though, all animals.

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

"I totally agree!

A nice sentiment to this thread but i'm afraid the quoted post will be what the thread turns out to be

over a year ago

As op says yes give the refugees a thought but the op must also understand there are people in this country in need of our thoughts also plus when theres people in desperate need here while there are refugees getting more you can understand how views can be tainted

over a year ago

"As op says yes give the refugees a thought but the op must also understand there are people in this country in need of our thoughts also plus when theres people in desperate need here while there are refugees getting more you can understand how views can be tainted "

over a year ago

"As op says yes give the refugees a thought but the op must also understand there are people in this country in need of our thoughts also plus when theres people in desperate need here while there are refugees getting more you can understand how views can be tainted "

It's refugee week and it's not about Britain, it's about refugees globally, most of whom end up in camps with dysentery and poor sanitation.

The refugees that come here make up a tiny proportion of the refugees that manage to escape.

over a year ago

This is from 2009(latest figures) from the UNHCR website. These people are not all headed here to disenfranchise the local poor, these are people who are often with nowhere to go and face death or a variety of reasons unless they move.

The number of people forcibly uprooted by conflict and persecution worldwide stood at 42 million at the end of last year amid a sharp slowdown in repatriation and more prolonged conflicts resulting in protracted displacement. The total includes 16 million refugees and asylum seekers and 26 million internally displaced people uprooted within their own countries, according to UNHCR's annual "Global Trends" report released today.

over a year ago

The destination for the majority of refugees are (in order)

Figures for 2011, which means that Syria is now clearly an exporter of refugees rather than importer.

Major refugee-hosting countries

1. Pakistan (1.7 million people)

2. Iran (887,000)

3. Syria (755,400)

4. Germany (571,000)

5. Kenya (566,500)

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

i dont think you actualy need to go there, you see it on the television all the time. i get more upset about starving animals, also the people in this country who have had their benefits cut, like disabled people who are unable to work."

You see it on TV so there's no need to go & see it?

TV is just a two dimensional thing that you watch from the comfort of your sofa - it's light years from reality.

Go to a third world country & see it, smell it & feel it for yourself - then you'll realise how unreal tv really is, - & that's not taking into account the edited out parts or propaganda (or both).

Go there - you could REALISE it to be the best thing you've ever done!!!

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

You see it on TV so there's no need to go & see it?

TV is just a two dimensional thing that you watch from the comfort of your sofa - it's light years from reality.

Go to a third world country & see it, smell it & feel it for yourself - then you'll realise how unreal tv really is, - & that's not taking into account the edited out parts or propaganda (or both).

Go there - you could REALISE it to be the best thing you've ever done!!!

"

edited out parts, yes i do know about them, have you watched live leak?

i have no desire to go and visit any refugee camps, i will leave that to all the other do gooders.

over a year ago

"do gooders"?

Do you mean humanitarians?

Let them starve, they're only foreigners after all, it's not like they're important.

I've gone from astonished to disgusted.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

A nice sentiment to this thread but i'm afraid the quoted post will be what the thread turns out to be "

It appears so.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

I have friends in the army who have seen these places first hand and have fully admitted that it has reduced them to tears.

Yes of course we think about this country and the homeless etc but the point of the thread was refugee week and the suffering of those people.

over a year ago

"I have friends in the army who have seen these places first hand and have fully admitted that it has reduced them to tears.

Yes of course we think about this country and the homeless etc but the point of the thread was refugee week and the suffering of those people. "

My ex is an army Doctor and some of the things she's had to deal with in these circumstances have left her unable to sleep properly for months.

I also agree that we need to think about all groups who are disenfranchised or vulnerable (indeed it's actually what I do for a living)

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I totally agree!

I sighed when I saw the title, as I thought the same.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I totally agree!

I'm astonished you're astonished!

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I'm astonished you're astonished! "

Perhaps I was being too hopeful

Or maybe I'm just one of those "do gooders" who care about humanity

By *lentyoffun40Couple
over a year ago

Lancashire

I agree it's sad that we are having to argue about helping other less fortunate people

I have worked closely with a young man who left Afghanistan and travelled over 8 countries in 18 months and is now settled and looked after in the uk and doing really well

But what does annoy me is this -

If I was to leave a war torn country in fear of my life , the first country I got to that was safe .. I'd thank god and be content

However some people realise that the likes of Spain and France aren't like the uk in handing out benefits and free health care

So make it their goal to get to the uk ! You only have to look at the refugee camp at Calais to see that we as a nation are happy to give benefits to refugees

And we often don't hear about children and families here in the uk that are living in poverty

No doubt ill get slated and people will say that poverty here isn't like anything globally, but its all relevant

We as a nation send out more overseas aid that any other EU country .

We are helping refugees and I think that's great

But surely we need to start looking in our own back yards too

The amount of services cut for the most disadvantaged families is ridiculous

I've always said that when you have a job and money you are more likely to volunteer and give some cash to charities

The fact is this country is in recession and people just haven't got the cash they used to

Lets get out country in order first !

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I totally agree!

Or maybe I'm just one of those "do gooders" who care about humanity"

Without offense: naive.

More people give to Guide Dogs for the Blind than NSPCC. Beggars will sit with dogs as people will give so the dog can eat rather than the human side kick.

Add to that it does appear the world and his wife seems to be living high off the hog whilst those born here who work their butts off get diddly squat.

Then you have people who are just plain nasty...expecting to find the milk of human kindness flowing through some people really is a fools errand.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

More people give to Guide Dogs for the Blind than NSPCC. Beggars will sit with dogs as people will give so the dog can eat rather than the human side kick.

Add to that it does appear the world and his wife seems to be living high off the hog whilst those born here who work their butts off get diddly squat.

Then you have people who are just plain nasty...expecting to find the milk of human kindness flowing through some people really is a fools errand."

I'm not really all that naïve about the subject as I've authored work on it, what I am astonished by, is that people openly come out and say it. I should admire the honesty of it, but quite frankly I can't.

The donations to RSPCA, Guide Dogs and RSPB outstrip the next 10 "human" charities in this country combined!

However, it does at least remind me of what I like about some people and what I dislike about others x

over a year ago

money for guide dogs are helping people though, not animals.

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"I totally agree!

Then you have people who are just plain nasty...expecting to find the milk of human kindness flowing through some people really is a fools errand.

I'm not really all that naïve about the subject as I've authored work on it, what I am astonished by, is that people openly come out and say it. I should admire the honesty of it, but quite frankly I can't.

The donations to RSPCA, Guide Dogs and RSPB outstrip the next 10 "human" charities in this country combined!

However, it does at least remind me of what I like about some people and what I dislike about others x "

You must only read the "avatar challenge" type threads then as I've read some truly horrible racist xenophobic threads on here.

Some people are unable to filter their thoughts and others are only too happy to wade in when they realise they're not alone. If the comments are made by someone they want to fuck?!! Good...lord!

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

"money for guide dogs are helping people though, not animals. "

Really?!!

Well hush my mouth!

over a year ago

There are certain things that will always cause discord, politics, religion, football to name the most toxic three. Dont we all know this isnt the forum to discuss them? Its fab for goodness sake not the UN.

over a year ago

I'm sorry that we always reach such division with me just putting the title up. All I want is for people to spend a second thinking about others.

I post on poverty in this country much more than I do about overseas poverty. I work on poverty and social justice here because I have made a choice to do that - to see the effects on those I live amongst. That doesn't mean I don't or can't care about other things.

The RSPCA was created before the NSPCC. It's not animal charity week so my post wasn't about them. It is also Small Charities Week and there is a simple one line prize of £200 to be won to go to your favourite small charity of any cause type if that motivates you. It's not even your money you are giving away so what have you got to lose?

The post on giving - proportionally, those on the low incomes give more and more often. They give to causes both here and overseas.

Other countries may not give as much cash aid overseas because they accept and face the burden of looking after more refugees than we do. Look at Jordan.

If you don't want to think about refugees then don't. All I can do is ask.

Have a peaceful day whatever you are doing.

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Im just waiting for the one when the married illegal immigrant who is a dyslexic Man Utd fan asks why he cant get a meet.

The site will go into melt-down...

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"Im just waiting for the one when the married illegal immigrant who is a dyslexic Man Utd fan asks why he cant get a meet.

The site will go into melt-down... "

Oh good grief can you imagine !

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"I'm sorry that we always reach such division with me just putting the title up. All I want is for people to spend a second thinking about others.

I post on poverty in this country much more than I do about overseas poverty. I work on poverty and social justice here because I have made a choice to do that - to see the effects on those I live amongst. That doesn't mean I don't or can't care about other things.

The RSPCA was created before the NSPCC. It's not animal charity week so my post wasn't about them. It is also Small Charities Week and there is a simple one line prize of £200 to be won to go to your favourite small charity of any cause type if that motivates you. It's not even your money you are giving away so what have you got to lose?

The post on giving - proportionally, those on the low incomes give more and more often. They give to causes both here and overseas.

Other countries may not give as much cash aid overseas because they accept and face the burden of looking after more refugees than we do. Look at Jordan.

If you don't want to think about refugees then don't. All I can do is ask.

Have a peaceful day whatever you are doing."

And Lickety the intention of your post was clear. Nothing to be sorry about

over a year ago

"Im just waiting for the one when the married illegal immigrant who is a dyslexic Man Utd fan asks why he cant get a meet.

Especially if he's in any way "different" looking

Nothing like a bit of intolerance to get the day going

over a year ago

im not racist, i met a lovely young chap on here from czechoslovakia.

By *opping_candyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

"im not racist, i met a lovely young chap on here from czechoslovakia."

You know Czechoslovakia was dissolved in 1993?

over a year ago

"im not racist, i met a lovely young chap on here from czechoslovakia.

You know Czechoslovakia was dissolved in 1993?"

ok, a nigerian boy when i was a teenager and two other black men, only they were born in this country.

over a year ago

Why are the people of this country so often called on to give, to "donate", to help sort other countries problems,very few of which are new,very few of which are brought about by anyone other than the countries themselves. Im not talking about climate induced famine im talking about war, political refugees, look at the billions of cash poured into central Africa, are the countries really better off? Have we genuinely stopped the problem or are we just perpetuating the issue.I know, ive been there, ive seen the warlords taking the food at gunpoint, the impotence of the UN troops. To a man, every soldier i was with wanted to intervene but no, were peacekeepers.My arse, were part of the problem.

over a year ago

"im not racist, i met a lovely young chap on here from czechoslovakia."

Except that foreign children aren't as important as puppies sort of gives a lie to that.

Especially as he wasn't necessarily a different race, but a different nationality (that would be xenophobia) Meeting someone to fill a hole isn't what keeps you from being racist, just ask the descendants of slave owners.

Having an empathy for and not treating them as being lesser humans if they're different races, that's what stops you from being racist.

over a year ago

"Why are the people of this country so often called on to give, to "donate", to help sort other countries problems,very few of which are new,very few of which are brought about by anyone other than the countries themselves. Im not talking about climate induced famine im talking about war, political refugees, look at the billions of cash poured into central Africa, are the countries really better off? Have we genuinely stopped the problem or are we just perpetuating the issue.I know, ive been there, ive seen the warlords taking the food at gunpoint, the impotence of the UN troops. To a man, every soldier i was with wanted to intervene but no, were peacekeepers.My arse, were part of the problem."

I see your point, but part of the African issue, isn't that it's all localised. The Western world has been carving up Africa for themselves for centuries. They don't always do it by invading, but by owning everything or by controlling those who do (price fixing cash crops for example).

I too have lived there and I agree money isn't the answer and I don't know what is, what I do know is that we turned our backs in Rwanda and that got ugly very very quickly.

over a year ago

You know Czechoslovakia was dissolved in 1993?

ok, a nigerian boy when i was a teenager and two other black men, only they were born in this country."

Eh?

Are you suggesting that you're not racist because you've met black people sexually?

over a year ago

Except that foreign children aren't as important as puppies sort of gives a lie to that.

Especially as he wasn't necessarily a different race, but a different nationality (that would be xenophobia) Meeting someone to fill a hole isn't what keeps you from being racist, just ask the descendants of slave owners.

Having an empathy for and not treating them as being lesser humans if they're different races, that's what stops you from being racist.

"

I care about animals more than i care about people yes thats true, i have never intentionaly been cruel or hurt anyone though.

you can think what you like about me.

over a year ago

"

I care about animals more than i care about people yes thats true, i have never intentionaly been cruel or hurt anyone though.

you can think what you like about me. "

I think that although I don't like your opinions on refugees, and I question your definitions of what makes someone a racist, I don't for one moment believe that you would go out of your way to intentionally hurt or be cruel to someone

over a year ago

Refugees are usually the product of bad government, war or famine. All of which is avoidable.

Why don't they have an uprising like the libyians or Egyptians and over throw their dictorships or governments who spend all on themselves and nothing on agriculture or infrastructure? Its not our place to help the other 6 billion odd on this planet.

I think the most sickening thing is the amount of international aid we give. India, a country with more billionaires per head than us and we give them billions. 8 billion to Ireland and they fuxking hate us!

Sort Britain out first. Eradicate child poverty in the UK. Homelessness. Poor wages and living conditions and reduce the class divide them perhaps people may be a little more empathetic

As your moniker states...comfy where you are

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

The OP said 'spare a thought' not donate your monthly pay cheque!!

Some of these refugees are babies and children who's parents have been killed and injured. In these situations thru no fault of there own. Some people can be so callous!

By *opping_candyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

"The OP said 'spare a thought' not donate your monthly pay cheque!!

Some of these refugees are babies and children who's parents have been killed and injured. In these situations thru no fault of there own. Some people can be so callous!"

I reckon even sparing a thought is too much for some.

over a year ago

"Refugees are usually the product of bad government, war or famine. All of which is avoidable.

Why don't they have an uprising like the libyians or Egyptians and over throw their dictorships or governments who spend all on themselves and nothing on agriculture or infrastructure? Its not our place to help the other 6 billion odd on this planet.

I think the most sickening thing is the amount of international aid we give. India, a country with more billionaires per head than us and we give them billions. 8 billion to Ireland and they fuxking hate us!

Sort Britain out first. Eradicate child poverty in the UK. Homelessness. Poor wages and living conditions and reduce the class divide them perhaps people may be a little more empathetic

As your moniker states...comfy where you are"

well said.

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"The OP said 'spare a thought' not donate your monthly pay cheque!!

Some of these refugees are babies and children who's parents have been killed and injured. In these situations thru no fault of there own. Some people can be so callous!

I reckon even sparing a thought is too much for some."

That's become quite apparent from some replies on here. Appalling really.

over a year ago

Why dont they have an uprising?? Are you serious? Libya,Syria?Tunisia all of them a fecking nightmare, more problems than they ever had before. America arming the Syrians? British troops helping the rebels in Libya? ( yes we were there trust me ) AFGHANISTAN !!!! Short memories these idiot political decision makers.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

We give £8 Billion to Ireland?

over a year ago

Anyway rant over, im here to get shagged senseless not cause i think im that nob Bono or that even bigger nob,Geldof.

over a year ago

Hypothetically...

How many Yugoslavians, Sri lankans et al actually spared a thought for US before their countries were war torn or devastated by natural disaster? Didn't see anyone but the united states grant us aid when we were in need

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Did I read the Op's post wrong, or was it spare a thought....not spare money?.

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

Reading most of this thread i get the impression some people would cause an argument when stuck in a lift by themselves!!

OP it was a nice thought unfortunately not everyone thinks like you

over a year ago

We gave them 8 billion when the euro crashed. Probably double that by now

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"We gave them 8 billion when the euro crashed. Probably double that by now"

I must have missed that one, probably happened while I was at lunch or sleeping.

When exactly did the Euro crash?

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

"Did I read the Op's post wrong, or was it spare a thought....not spare money?.

"

No you didn't read it wrong but tbh the way similar posts are treated on the forums this was expected

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"Hypothetically...

How many Yugoslavians, Sri lankans et al actually spared a thought for US before their countries were war torn or devastated by natural disaster? Didn't see anyone but the united states grant us aid when we were in need "

That's the government tho who decides to give aid isn't it?? I'm sure normal people sat in their homes would feel empathy for anyone in a bad situation wether they donated money or not and that was the point of the thread!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"There are certain things that will always cause discord, politics, religion, football to name the most toxic three. Dont we all know this isnt the forum to discuss them? Its fab for goodness sake not the UN."

it the 'lounge' forum, its the accepted place to discuss whatever..

touch ironic given you post this and then make several contributions..

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"Reading most of this thread i get the impression some people would cause an argument when stuck in a lift by themselves!!

OP it was a nice thought unfortunately not everyone thinks like you "

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"We gave them 8 billion when the euro crashed. Probably double that by now"

did the Irish bail out not come from the EU / ECB or IMF or World Bank..?

think we did contribute some via the EU support whatsit fund but doubt it was £8 billion..

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Hypothetically...

How many Yugoslavians, Sri lankans et al actually spared a thought for US before their countries were war torn or devastated by natural disaster? Didn't see anyone but the united states grant us aid when we were in need "

When exactly are you talking about the United States granting the UK aid?

over a year ago

"Hypothetically...

You mean when Sri Lanka was called Ceylon and we took over their country or when Yougoslavia helped win the 2nd world war by keeping Germans occupied?

over a year ago

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, some will agree with them and some wont, i give to animal charities, cancer charities, homeless charities all based in the uk, i do not give money to christian aid and the other charities that send money abroad, why? We need to sort out our own country's problems first and foremost before we try and save the world, the uk gives billions of taxpayers money in foreign aid which should be spent at home, more than half the homeless in the uk are ex soldiers, people like that need out help and money first, not refugees in other countries, their government should be helping them not our government,

over a year ago

The united states gave us £13 billion im the 1940s 50s to rebuild after the war.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"The united states gave us £13 billion im the 1940s 50s to rebuild after the war. "

Well at that particular time Yugoslavia was occupied by the Germans, so I should imagine that the Slavs were a little too busy fighting the Nazis to be thinking about anyone else, let alone the UK which was unoccupied and in a far better position than much of occupied Europe.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

anyway back to the OP's intention in posting this thread..

yes we should think of others less fortunate, never been unlucky enoughto see my Mum, Wife, Sister or Daughter raped by whomever which is sadly commonplace in conflict as a way of terrorising people..

never had dysentry or any of the other diseases which follow when people are forced to flee..

or stand as my newborn dies from preventable illness..

never had to tell my kids not to touch the nice yellow plastic things which are cluster bomblets..

pretty lucky to live in this land at this time and gratefull for it tbh..

respect we all have opinions but frankly anyone who thinks puppies are more important than people, innocent babies and children is beyond me..

humanity eh..

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"The united states gave us £13 billion im the 1940s 50s to rebuild after the war. "

they never 'gave' us anything..

they lent the money which took us decades to pay back..

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Fantastic post, and sums it up perfectly....

over a year ago

"Everyone is entitled to their opinions, some will agree with them and some wont, i give to animal charities, cancer charities, homeless charities all based in the uk, i do not give money to christian aid and the other charities that send money abroad, why? We need to sort out our own country's problems first and foremost before we try and save the world, the uk gives billions of taxpayers money in foreign aid which should be spent at home, more than half the homeless in the uk are ex soldiers, people like that need out help and money first, not refugees in other countries, their government should be helping them not our government,

"

You do realise that some of those cancer charities employ foreign researchers some of whom are refugees originally? These are all interlinked isolationism no longer exists or at least shouldn't. Often their governments don't help them as they don't have one. However if they do fundamentally collapse, what do you think will happen to oil prices, food prices etc. the poorest nations today may be the powerhouse tomorrow (Japan anyone) much better to have them on our side than abandon them.

over a year ago

"I agree it's sad that we are having to argue about helping other less fortunate people

I have worked closely with a young man who left Afghanistan and travelled over 8 countries in 18 months and is now settled and looked after in the uk and doing really well

But what does annoy me is this -

If I was to leave a war torn country in fear of my life , the first country I got to that was safe .. I'd thank god and be content

However some people realise that the likes of Spain and France aren't like the uk in handing out benefits and free health care

So make it their goal to get to the uk ! You only have to look at the refugee camp at Calais to see that we as a nation are happy to give benefits to refugees

And we often don't hear about children and families here in the uk that are living in poverty

No doubt ill get slated and people will say that poverty here isn't like anything globally, but its all relevant

We as a nation send out more overseas aid that any other EU country .

We are helping refugees and I think that's great

But surely we need to start looking in our own back yards too

The amount of services cut for the most disadvantaged families is ridiculous

I've always said that when you have a job and money you are more likely to volunteer and give some cash to charities

The fact is this country is in recession and people just haven't got the cash they used to

Lets get out country in order first ! "

over a year ago

The war was over so could hardly be fighting nazis!

8 billion to Ireland alone.

All these facts are freely available to anyone who opens a history book

over a year ago

funny that when i hear people saying how wrong it is to care more about puppies, or old dogs even just makes me realise how right i am to feel that way. and im glad that i do too.

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

FFS!!!!

This is what the whole thread was about:

"Spare a thought for all of those who felt desperate enough to leave everything behind to get away from the horrors they were facing."

& its turned into a complete farce!!

Spare a THOUGHT not money!!

Grow up!!! Swingers are open minded?? yeh right

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/06/13 13:41:34]

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

"anyway back to the OP's intention in posting this thread..

yes we should think of others less fortunate, never been unlucky enoughto see my Mum, Wife, Sister or Daughter raped by whomever which is sadly commonplace in conflict as a way of terrorising people..

never had dysentry or any of the other diseases which follow when people are forced to flee..

or stand as my newborn dies from preventable illness..

never had to tell my kids not to touch the nice yellow plastic things which are cluster bomblets..

pretty lucky to live in this land at this time and gratefull for it tbh..

respect we all have opinions but frankly anyone who thinks puppies are more important than people, innocent babies and children is beyond me..

humanity eh..

"

Exactly. And you can spare a thought for these people without paying a penny. Which was all the OP suggested we do.

over a year ago

"You do realise that some of those cancer charities employ foreign researchers some of whom are refugees originally? These are all interlinked isolationism no longer exists or at least shouldn't. Often their governments don't help them as they don't have one. However if they do fundamentally collapse, what do you think will happen to oil prices, food prices etc. the poorest nations today may be the powerhouse tomorrow (Japan anyone) much better to have them on our side than abandon them."

and your point about cancer charities employing foreign researchers and ex refugees is?

over a year ago

"You do realise that some of those cancer charities employ foreign researchers some of whom are refugees originally? These are all interlinked isolationism no longer exists or at least shouldn't. Often their governments don't help them as they don't have one. However if they do fundamentally collapse, what do you think will happen to oil prices, food prices etc. the poorest nations today may be the powerhouse tomorrow (Japan anyone) much better to have them on our side than abandon them.

and your point about cancer charities employing foreign researchers and ex refugees is?

"

You won't give money to foreign charities, my point is that they're all linked. There's no such thing as purely domestic.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"The war was over so could hardly be fighting nazis!

All these facts are freely available to anyone who opens a history book"

Give us a link to where the UK gave Eire £8 Billion in a direct bailout (and more since?)

Yugoslavia was occupied during the war and in great part destroyed by the Nazis, they would have been in no position to send us aid in the post war years as they were in a worse position than the UK....it's a ridiculous example to cite.

Incidentally the USA never gifted the UK any monies after the war, what they did was grant us loans which were not fully repaid for decades.

You need a better history book

By *igSuki81Man
over a year ago

Retirement Village

My last post on this ad its getting ridiculous

If you can't spare a thought then don't spare a comment either.

If you want to know what being a refugee is ask someone who was made to move home (not country) during WW2 when people in this country were displaced from their homes to get away from the blitz, maybe you'll realise some compassion for others then

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"funny that when i hear people saying how wrong it is to care more about puppies, or old dogs even just makes me realise how right i am to feel that way. and im glad that i do too."

mind if i ask why..?

over a year ago

"Everyone is entitled to their opinions, some will agree with them and some wont, i give to animal charities, cancer charities, homeless charities all based in the uk, i do not give money to christian aid and the other charities that send money abroad, why? We need to sort out our own country's problems first and foremost before we try and save the world, the uk gives billions of taxpayers money in foreign aid which should be spent at home, more than half the homeless in the uk are ex soldiers, people like that need out help and money first, not refugees in other countries, their government should be helping them not our government,

"

over a year ago

Give us a link to where the UK gave Eire £8 Billion in a direct bailout (and more since?)

Yugoslavia was occupied during the war and in great part destroyed by the Nazis, they would have been in no position to send us aid in the post war years as they were in a worse position than the UK....it's a ridiculous example to cite.

Incidentally the USA never gifted the UK any monies after the war, what they did was grant us loans which were not fully repaid for decades.

You need a better history book"

My point is merely that none of these countries be it African European Asian gave a fuck about us then or now. Never see aid packages coming into the UK only leaving. yet ad soon as they fick their countries up the are at our door with a begging bowl.

Many saying spare a thought not money. I only brought up the aid issue as it was the OP who began discussing charity and monetary issues. Yes its tragic but so is life. Maybe they should be a little more proactive and get their houses in order then they wouldn't become refugees. History has a habit of throwing up surprises and ending civilizations. Perhaps in not too distant future Britain may succumb to natural disaster ot war and then do you think France or Norway will let us in? No I think not

over a year ago

"You do realise that some of those cancer charities employ foreign researchers some of whom are refugees originally? These are all interlinked isolationism no longer exists or at least shouldn't. Often their governments don't help them as they don't have one. However if they do fundamentally collapse, what do you think will happen to oil prices, food prices etc. the poorest nations today may be the powerhouse tomorrow (Japan anyone) much better to have them on our side than abandon them.

You won't give money to foreign charities, my point is that they're all linked. There's no such thing as purely domestic."

i don't give money to foreign charities no, whether they are all linked or not, my hard earned money goes to animal charities, cancer charities, homeless charities whether these charities send the money abroad or not, is up to them, highly unlikely but that's their decision where the money goes, why should people give money to outside of the uk when there is so many problems in our own country that needs addressed first and foremost?

over a year ago

"funny that when i hear people saying how wrong it is to care more about puppies, or old dogs even just makes me realise how right i am to feel that way. and im glad that i do too.

mind if i ask why..?"

because self righteous people dont like it when somewhen has a different opinion, because they think human being are so much more important than animals when they are not.

over a year ago

Sort of misses the point of what a refugee is. They often don't have a country.

over a year ago

Well - to think that this thread began with:

It's refugee week - spare a thought for them!

Oh dear!!!

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

My point is merely that none of these countries be it African European Asian gave a fuck about us then or now. Never see aid packages coming into the UK only leaving. yet ad soon as they fick their countries up the are at our door with a begging bowl.

Many saying spare a thought not money. I only brought up the aid issue as it was the OP who began discussing charity and monetary issues. Yes its tragic but so is life. Maybe they should be a little more proactive and get their houses in order then they wouldn't become refugees. History has a habit of throwing up surprises and ending civilizations. Perhaps in not too distant future Britain may succumb to natural disaster ot war and then do you think France or Norway will let us in? No I think not"

Get there houses in order??? Seriously? The houses where woman are being raped. Or the houses that have been bombed or destroyed by gunfire??

Silly them, should get them to pop a note on the front door saying 'no rapists, violence, guns here please'

over a year ago

Many saying spare a thought not money. I only brought up the aid issue as it was the OP who began discussing charity and monetary issues. Yes its tragic but so is life. Maybe they should be a little more proactive and get their houses in order then they wouldn't become refugees. History has a habit of throwing up surprises and ending civilizations. Perhaps in not too distant future Britain may succumb to natural disaster ot war and then do you think France or Norway will let us in? No I think not

Get there houses in order??? Seriously? The houses where woman are being raped. Or the houses that have been bombed or destroyed by gunfire??

Silly them, should get them to pop a note on the front door saying 'no rapists, violence, guns here please' "

Nothing stopped the British beheading an unjust king to make a better country. The French revolution. The Americans kicking the Brits out. If you don't like your leaders get them out. Too fucking lazy is all!

over a year ago

Nobody should have to live in fear and terrible conditions and separated from their loved ones

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"funny that when i hear people saying how wrong it is to care more about puppies, or old dogs even just makes me realise how right i am to feel that way. and im glad that i do too.

mind if i ask why..?

because self righteous people dont like it when somewhen has a different opinion, because they think human being are so much more important than animals when they are not."

dont think it self righteous to acknowledge we all have differing opinions..

so your just baiting people in saying what you did as you want to enrage your perception of their 'self righteousness'..?

would you think the same if one of your loved ones and eg your pet were run over and the attending professionals left your loved one to bleed to death and cared for the pet..?

or a firefighter rescued your budgie first and then went to rescue a person second..?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"........Nothing stopped the British beheading an unjust king to make a better country. The French revolution. The Americans kicking the Brits out. If you don't like your leaders get them out. Too fucking lazy is all!"

How often did the Brits actually behead a monarch?

over a year ago

"........Nothing stopped the British beheading an unjust king to make a better country. The French revolution. The Americans kicking the Brits out. If you don't like your leaders get them out. Too fucking lazy is all!

How often did the Brits actually behead a monarch?"

Erm...charles I, magna carta? Ring a bell?

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"........Nothing stopped the British beheading an unjust king to make a better country. The French revolution. The Americans kicking the Brits out. If you don't like your leaders get them out. Too fucking lazy is all!

How often did the Brits actually behead a monarch?

Erm...charles I, magna carta? Ring a bell?"

Magna Carta? I didn't know you'd beheaded him/ her.

You may have to draw me a big map.

By *adkatWoman
over a year ago

Alfreton

Sorry I'm with the guys who say we should be thinking about our own country and sorting the UK out first, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and we shouldnt judge people for their opinions.

over a year ago

I've learnt so much from this thread but unfortunately so much of it is negative. It amazes me how some people are insinuating that certain countries like Sri Lanka, Iraq, India, Afghanistan, central Africa, the middle east should sort their own problems out.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm I suggest that they read a little UNBIASED history on the aforementioned countries/regions to learn who played a major role in stuffing them up completely!!!

SAD SAD SAD!!!

over a year ago

"Sorry I'm with the guys who say we should be thinking about our own country and sorting the UK out first, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and we shouldnt judge people for their opinions."

Actually we should judge them on their opinions. We shouldn't judge them on their colour, nationality or circumstances none of which they can control (unlike their opinion)

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

I'm like Nostradamus today

By *ngel n tedCouple
over a year ago

maidstone

Well i'm sorry too, cos after all these opinions, i'm still chuckling to myself about the "comfy where i am" comment

By *adkatWoman
over a year ago

Alfreton

"Sorry I'm with the guys who say we should be thinking about our own country and sorting the UK out first, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and we shouldnt judge people for their opinions.

Actually we should judge them on their opinions. We shouldn't judge them on their colour, nationality or circumstances none of which they can control (unlike their opinion)"

No we shouldn't every one is entitled to an opinion whether others like it or not, you might have opinions I don't agree with and visa versa but why would I want to judge you on them just cause they arnt the same as mine.

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

"Sorry I'm with the guys who say we should be thinking about our own country and sorting the UK out first, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and we shouldnt judge people for their opinions."

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

This was my thought too. But I (perhaps naively) genuinely never thought that it would reach the extremes that it has. Very sad.

over a year ago

"Sorry I'm with the guys who say we should be thinking about our own country and sorting the UK out first, but we are all entitled to our own opinions and we shouldnt judge people for their opinions.

Actually we should judge them on their opinions. We shouldn't judge them on their colour, nationality or circumstances none of which they can control (unlike their opinion)

No we shouldn't every one is entitled to an opinion whether others like it or not, you might have opinions I don't agree with and visa versa but why would I want to judge you on them just cause they arnt the same as mine."

Surely the question is why wpuldn't you want to be judged? I have the courage of my convictions and couldn't care less if I am judged. In fact I'd happily be judged as some do going loony left type as those that view my political viewpoint negatively are people that i would not want to be around anyway.

over a year ago

"I totally agree!

This was my thought too. But I (perhaps naively) genuinely never thought that it would reach the extremes that it has. Very sad."

Ain't that the truth!!

over a year ago

I really hadn’t felt I could contribute anything to this thread that wouldn’t make me sound sanctimonious.

I fully respect everyone is entitled to their own opinions regards the ongoing epidemic of refugee situation around the globe…..

I have no quarrel with anyone who feels charity should begin at home or animals deserve equal consideration to humans….

But jumping off the back of another thread about what’s the most you’ve ever eaten…?

Reminded me of a situation I encountered earlier this year where the most challenging meal I’ve ever eaten was at Belom Site in Chad having just returned from a field trip where we attended the funerals of mothers and children who’d died of preventable malnutrition……

They’d been refugees ….!.

over a year ago

I hope to never have to leave my home due to persecution, war or natural disaster. Should I have to, though, I hope that another country will help me and my loved ones (if we survive) to set up again.

I hope to never be trafficked for sex, to be taken to a country where I don't speak the language and used to make other people money, kept in awful conditions, systematically raped and abused. Should that happen (and I escape with my life) that the country I have been trafficked to will help me to set up again.

I hope this never happens to people I care about, love and hold in close regard. Should it happen I hope that they are looked after.

over a year ago

"I hope to never have to leave my home due to persecution, war or natural disaster. Should I have to, though, I hope that another country will help me and my loved ones (if we survive) to set up again.

I hope to never be trafficked for sex, to be taken to a country where I don't speak the language and used to make other people money, kept in awful conditions, systematically raped and abused. Should that happen (and I escape with my life) that the country I have been trafficked to will help me to set up again.

I hope this never happens to people I care about, love and hold in close regard. Should it happen I hope that they are looked after. "

This !.....

over a year ago

"Well i'm sorry too, cos after all these opinions, i'm still chuckling to myself about the "comfy where i am" comment "

Sadly, at this point so am I! I shouldn't have responded on the posts about aid and giving when they reared their heads.

As others have said I asked only for people to spare a thought. If you read that and your thought was that you don't agree with thinking about refugees, fair enough. At least you thought about something.

Judge me on my opinions as much as you like; I prefer it to the judgements made because I am female, black or nearing 50.

over a year ago

"I hope to never have to leave my home due to persecution, war or natural disaster. Should I have to, though, I hope that another country will help me and my loved ones (if we survive) to set up again.

I hope this never happens to people I care about, love and hold in close regard. Should it happen I hope that they are looked after. "

Thank you - that's a thought.

By *adkatWoman
over a year ago

Alfreton

No we shouldn't every one is entitled to an opinion whether others like it or not, you might have opinions I don't agree with and visa versa but why would I want to judge you on them just cause they arnt the same as mine.

Surely the question is why wpuldn't you want to be judged? I have the courage of my convictions and couldn't care less if I am judged. In fact I'd happily be judged as some do going loony left type as those that view my political viewpoint negatively are people that i would not want to be around anyway."

Why would I want someone to think they knew me just cause they had judged me on one of my opinions that was different to theirs

We can't all think the same can we? Or are we all supposed to just to please a few?

over a year ago

Surely the question is why wpuldn't you want to be judged? I have the courage of my convictions and couldn't care less if I am judged. In fact I'd happily be judged as some do going loony left type as those that view my political viewpoint negatively are people that i would not want to be around anyway.

Why would I want someone to think they knew me just cause they had judged me on one of my opinions that was different to theirs

We can't all think the same can we? Or are we all supposed to just to please a few? "

The voice of common sense

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

I know I shouldn't but... it made me giggle!

By *lentyoffun40Couple
over a year ago

Lancashire

The site will go into melt-down...

I know I shouldn't but... it made me giggle! "

Don't get it?

over a year ago

Sparing a thought. Especially to my parents and brother who were able to seek refuge away from their mother land because they believed in free schools and medicine for everyone.

How times have changed...

over a year ago

"Sparing a thought. Especially to my parents and brother who were able to seek refuge away from their mother land because they believed in free schools and medicine for everyone.

How times have changed...

"

I will think of them.

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

My job brings me into contact with refugees and asylum seekers on occasions.

The first refugee I came across was from an African village and was studying at college in this country. She was working hard to better herself - and this young woman lost her entire family and most of the people she knew in a single night when militia members massacred innocent civilians with guns and machetes.

Another one has aspirations to be an accountant. He fled the Civil War in an African country. He goes to college and is aiming to do a degree. He was put on a bus in London and dropped in ******** and had to get on with it. He goes to college immaculately dressed every day even though he has barely a penny to his name. He is unfailingly polite and smiling to all he meets, which frankly, is in stark contrast to the boorish and disgusting behaviour of many of the British citizens he encounters while studying.

He is a black man who cowers on the streets of the UK city he lives in when he sees a fellow black man, because of the things he saw back home.

These two and many others are fine people battling against far greater odds than we can comprehend. They are amazing and, frankly, I'd sooner have the likes of them in the UK than many of the untrateful, feckless people who were born here.

We built Empires and grew rich on the proceeds. It brought benefits to faraway places, but also a lot a bad too. Many of these places are still dominated by the legacy of empire. I don't see how we can turn the other way now and say "get on with it" given our history (and current economic influence in countries across the globe).

over a year ago

"My job brings me into contact with refugees and asylum seekers on occasions.

The first refugee I came across was from an African village and was studying at college in this country. She was working hard to better herself - and this young woman lost her entire family and most of the people she knew in a single night when militia members massacred innocent civilians with guns and machetes.

Another one has aspirations to be an accountant. He fled the Civil War in an African country. He goes to college and is aiming to do a degree. He was put on a bus in London and dropped in ******** and had to get on with it. He goes to college immaculately dressed every day even though he has barely a penny to his name. He is unfailingly polite and smiling to all he meets, which frankly, is in stark contrast to the boorish and disgusting behaviour of many of the British citizens he encounters while studying.

He is a black man who cowers on the streets of the UK city he lives in when he sees a fellow black man, because of the things he saw back home.

These two and many others are fine people battling against far greater odds than we can comprehend. They are amazing and, frankly, I'd sooner have the likes of them in the UK than many of the untrateful, feckless people who were born here.

We built Empires and grew rich on the proceeds. It brought benefits to faraway places, but also a lot a bad too. Many of these places are still dominated by the legacy of empire. I don't see how we can turn the other way now and say "get on with it" given our history (and current economic influence in countries across the globe)."

Thank you for sharing that.

I get perplexed by comments that African countries should sort themselves out. Many of the countries were "created" by European countries carving up the land, disregarding the tribal communities. The homogenising of people from continents does not help either.

over a year ago

Well said!

over a year ago

"My job brings me into contact with refugees and asylum seekers on occasions.

We built Empires and grew rich on the proceeds. It brought benefits to faraway places, but also a lot a bad too. Many of these places are still dominated by the legacy of empire. I don't see how we can turn the other way now and say "get on with it" given our history (and current economic influence in countries across the globe).

Thank you for sharing that.

I get perplexed by comments that African countries should sort themselves out. Many of the countries were "created" by European countries carving up the land, disregarding the tribal communities. The homogenising of people from continents does not help either."

Very well said!

From reading this thread the underlying problem seems to be, total ignorance.

Aren't children taught history at school anymore - or is there too much of a biased slant on it?

An Incredibly sad thread but at least the truth has been dragged into the open - as grotesque as it appears!!!

The thread heading appealed for thoughts - and revealed some sad truths!!!

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Thanks guys. Those and many others like them are lovely, inspirational people.

Definitely worthy of a thought or two.

Agree completely about the carving up of countries for the benefit of rich nations - you just have to look at a map of Africa. The impact of that and our propping up of dictators persists to this day.

Post new Message to Thread