Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dogs in Pubs

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Last night we went out to a pub that allows dogs in. As soon as I opened the door 2 or 3 Labs came charging over and one jumped up me.

I was wearing a dress - actually the same black and white dress in my photos, and had stockings on underneath. The right stocking was ripped by the dogs claws leaving a massive hole, so I had to go to the toilet and take my stockings off, to return quite embarrassed not dressed the way I had originally been. Ladies I'm sure will know if I'd planned to go bare legged, I would have moisturised etc beforehand, so not good.

On returning, no-one came over to apologise and my leg is still badly scratched and even bruised. From mid thigh to half way down my lower leg.

The owners attitude was dreadful. If I had been responsible for hurting anyone directly or indirectly like this, I would have been so apologetic. But sadly it was almost like it was my fault.

We live in a rural area and I've no problem with people having dogs with them, but wish they'd control them better and respect other people a bit more.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *issHottieBottieWoman
over a year ago

Kent

Yeah I would of been fuming too tbh!

My local when I was 18 was on the outskirts of town, the owners had 2 huge German shepherd which were always in the bar and lots of customers had dogs but they always behaved, and I know if they didn't the owners would of been asked to get them out x

By *livia_KWoman
over a year ago

South London

If that was my dog I would have been mortified! I mean the dog was just being friendly probably and I love dogs. But if it was my dog I would have in the very least apologised profusely, offered to buy you a drink and to replace your stockings.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Pubs are for adults (and maybe a well behaved wammel or two) not someone's guard dog or ferel, snot nosed, half chewed chip wielding offspring....is there no place to escape to anymore?

over a year ago

To add insult to injury I'd been saving these stockings for a night out with John. They were seamed, which I rarely wear / even more so in public! and had lovely lacey tops and fitted a treat. I think they cost nearly ten pounds and I don't treat myself that often on things like that..

Hey ho...jeans next time

over a year ago

"Yeah I would of been fuming too tbh!

My local when I was 18 was on the outskirts of town, the owners had 2 huge German shepherd which were always in the bar and lots of customers had dogs but they always behaved, and I know if they didn't the owners would of been asked to get them out x"

That's bad! no consideration, hope it didn't totally ruin your night.

My local allows dogs too, unfortunately most are ex girlfriends haha

over a year ago

Next time, kick em in the balls.......the owners not the dogs

over a year ago

"If that was my dog I would have been mortified! I mean the dog was just being friendly probably and I love dogs. But if it was my dog I would have in the very least apologised profusely, offered to buy you a drink and to replace your stockings."

This!

And personally I'd rather see dogs (kept under control and well behaved) than Unsupervised, hyper kids running riot and causing chaos and mayhem for waiting staff. A good pub dog is great. Unruly kids treating a pub like a playground while their parents get pissed on a weekend afternoon have me walking out and finding the next watering hole!

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 15/06/13 17:27:29]

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 15/06/13 17:27:29]"

i would of demanded he compensate you.stockings ent cheap these days

over a year ago

Would be enough to put a person off dogging for life

over a year ago

Obi I couldn't agree more. As I said it's all about respect I think for yourself and others. I have been congratulated before on my children's conduct in pubs. Bit difficult on one occasion when I was with family and my sisters kids were running riot around the place. Mine had to sit quietly at the table. Still they are young teenagers now and a pleasure to take to any restaurant.

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

Unfortunately most dog owners think their dogs are loved by strangers in the same way that they love them.

I was sitting in the local park one summer having a picnic with my then partner. It was spoilt by a dog that came over and was sniffing around the food. The owner was laughing and not doing anything stern enough to coax the dog away. It was quite clear that we were not amused and in the end I had to tap it on the nose to warn it off. The owner went off quite miffed.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I don't like dogs, but dogs like me. I find it quite intimidating when one comes tearing towards me and get really cross when they owner tells me I'm being silly for being scared.

I understand people not liking young children in pubs but you don't run the risk of getting your throat ripped out by one of those. Well, not often anyway.

By *livia_KWoman
over a year ago

South London

"[Removed by poster at 15/06/13 17:27:29]

i would of demanded he compensate you.stockings ent cheap these days"

A person shouldn't have to demand common courtesy.

over a year ago

"[Removed by poster at 15/06/13 17:27:29]

i would of demanded he compensate you.stockings ent cheap these days

A person shouldn't have to demand common courtesy."

I never thought of it like that, but yes I agree. I'm not the sort of person to make a scene.

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

it was a sad day when they let kids & dogs in pubs

over a year ago

"it was a sad day when they let kids & dogs in pubs"

lol oh blimey shall we bring back the sawdust and ban women as well unless they're serving wenches!!!

By *exycleanerWoman
over a year ago

pontefract

mmmmmm interesting one this.

i'm going away in the morning to the dales

and taking my 2 dogs as the B&B I'M going

to allows them .i will have to go to the pub for a meal but not sure if pub nearby

allows them .

but i always keep them on the lead and not let them run around .so if anyone wants to

say hello to them they can.

if mine had done that i would be very sorry and apologise

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Bad form by the owner of the dogs not to replace the tights x

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"mmmmmm interesting one this.

i'm going away in the morning to the dales

and taking my 2 dogs as the B&B I'M going

to allows them .i will have to go to the pub for a meal but not sure if pub nearby

allows them .

but i always keep them on the lead and not let them run around .so if anyone wants to

say hello to them they can.

if mine had done that i would be very sorry and apologise "

Dogs on leads = good!

over a year ago

..and it's lovely to hear there are lots of great responsible dog owners out there. As usual it's the minority that spoil it for the majority.

Much appreciated comments, thank you all.

By *ecor atorMan
over a year ago

York

Owner needs a word with!

I used to take my Jack Russell to work at my shop with me. Most the time customers didn't realise he was there. One day I had a couple of Muslim gentlemen come in and asked me to remove the dog from the shop.

I prefered to remove them!!

over a year ago

"it was a sad day when they let kids & dogs in pubs

lol oh blimey shall we bring back the sawdust and ban women as well unless they're serving wenches!!!"

Certainly not

Women can come in if they're strumpets too

over a year ago

Not a pleasant experience for u n yr stockings I concede BUT I love having dogs or cats in pubs n would even happily return to the days when they were admitted to restaurants. We have made society so antiseptic these days.

When I was a kid many dogs were let out in the morning for the day as owners went to work n u often saw dogs in the street which as a dog obsessed child was great for me. I appreciate we shouldn't go back to that with the current amount of traffic n bla bla bla but it was an idyllic time n as an only child I often 'palled' up with a dog

over a year ago

I was almost attacked last week in a beer garden. I was making my way to the bar when this dog appeared from under a table. It had no lead on and just ran out barking and lunged towards me. The man and woman just sat there with grins on their faces but fortunately their young children had more sense and got hold of the dog before it attacked.

over a year ago

"I was almost attacked last week in a beer garden. I was making my way to the bar when this dog appeared from under a table. It had no lead on and just ran out barking and lunged towards me. The man and woman just sat there with grins on their faces but fortunately their young children had more sense and got hold of the dog before it attacked."

Yes regrettably it's usually irresponsible ownership n lack of effort in training their dog is to blame. There are very few 'rogue' dogs around.

over a year ago

"Last night we went out to a pub that allows dogs in. As soon as I opened the door 2 or 3 Labs came charging over and one jumped up me.

I was wearing a dress - actually the same black and white dress in my photos, and had stockings on underneath. The right stocking was ripped by the dogs claws leaving a massive hole, so I had to go to the toilet and take my stockings off, to return quite embarrassed not dressed the way I had originally been. Ladies I'm sure will know if I'd planned to go bare legged, I would have moisturised etc beforehand, so not good.

On returning, no-one came over to apologise and my leg is still badly scratched and even bruised. From mid thigh to half way down my lower leg.

The owners attitude was dreadful. If I had been responsible for hurting anyone directly or indirectly like this, I would have been so apologetic. But sadly it was almost like it was my fault.

We live in a rural area and I've no problem with people having dogs with them, but wish they'd control them better and respect other people a bit more."

that's Labs for you, I have one, he's a bloody pain in the arse, thinks everyone's his best mate and acts accordingly, sadly people don't like him as much as he likes them, sounds the same with this one

over a year ago

I've nothing against dogs. I just don't want undressing by them and being injured!

over a year ago

"Pubs are for adults (and maybe a well behaved wammel or two) not someone's guard dog or ferel, snot nosed, half chewed chip wielding offspring....is there no place to escape to anymore? "

Pubs should be for everyone, a long as they behave, whether 9 months, 9 years or even 90, and if they have 2 legs or 4

As well as the owner being responsible, the landlord should be too, as he should be ensuring that his pub is a friendly welcoming place

By *opping_candyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I think you have every right to be annoyed, I certainly would be. I was on my way to visit a place I'm applying for a job the oth.er day and sat on a bus seat which turned out to be covered in white dog hair. So my black trousers were too. Was so embarrassing. I don't have a problem with dogs on buses but don't think they should sit on the seats.

over a year ago

In my local the landlord has strict rules about dogs and children..

If the dog is not on a lead it can-not come in and children are not allowed after 7.30pm.

Ruby

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"I don't like dogs, but dogs like me. I find it quite intimidating when one comes tearing towards me and get really cross when they owner tells me I'm being silly for being scared.

I understand people not liking young children in pubs but you don't run the risk of getting your throat ripped out by one of those. Well, not often anyway."

I hate that - I don't care if your bloody dog is 'nice and friendly'. I don't want the bugger all over me. If I want that I will get a dog of my own.

When I had my dog he was on a harness when out as I knew he would scare people even though he was a softy. The thing is people were not to know that and they should feel safe when out in public and not intimidated by someone else's mutt.

I would have insisted on some compensation if the stockings were £10. Cheeky barstewards!

over a year ago

why would you take your dog to the pub anyway?

its not something I have ever even thought about doing, when I take my dogs out I take them for a walk/run not to sit in a pub for hours, seems pointless to me

over a year ago

"In my local the landlord has strict rules about dogs and children..

If the dog is not on a lead it can-not come in and children are not allowed after 7.30pm.

Ruby "

I'd be inclined to want the children on a lead too I dunno why folk take kids IN pubs cos within minutes they are bored n then restless. A beer garden is fine for them but INSIDE a pub there is nothing to keep them amused n then they get jittery. A restaurant is somewhat different cos they are occupied with eating - altho I've seen kids running loose in restaurants toooo

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Owner needs a word with!

I used to take my Jack Russell to work at my shop with me. Most the time customers didn't realise he was there. One day I had a couple of Muslim gentlemen come in and asked me to remove the dog from the shop.

I prefered to remove them!!"

What did the Christians think ?

over a year ago

I prefered to remove them!!"

depends what you sold, I think I would find a dog in certain shops off putting

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

The owner is legally responsible.

The Landlord is responsible for your safety whilst you are on his premises.

Get one of them to foot the bill for your stockings.

over a year ago

What did the Christians think ?"

they was to busy with the lions to worry about a dog

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Next door has a chocolate lab xcollie and he`s a nutter! Always jumping up when he meets you and is so strong if you grab his front paws he`ll just pull away then start jumping up again!

BUT, what if the OP or any other person was infirm or recently recovering from injury or illness? Last thing you want is some mental bundle of energy leaping all over you. I would have sworn loudly at the dog to ashame the owner!

over a year ago

"If that was my dog I would have been mortified! I mean the dog was just being friendly probably and I love dogs. But if it was my dog I would have in the very least apologised profusely, offered to buy you a drink and to replace your stockings.

This!

And personally I'd rather see dogs (kept under control and well behaved) than Unsupervised, hyper kids running riot and causing chaos and mayhem for waiting staff. A good pub dog is great. Unruly kids treating a pub like a playground while their parents get pissed on a weekend afternoon have me walking out and finding the next watering hole! "

There shouldn't be anyone running around a pub. Fed up of going places and kids running around screeching. My kids sit there in disgust glaring at them lol.

Dogs should be under control too. Not everyone likes dogs, like someone else said. My dog was always on his lead. People are so rude these days.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Not good when any animal is not under control. I have it quite a bit with the amount I walk but that's life. Humans can be just as bad when they try and feed your dog. Even worst whenyou have a sign say please do not feed me guide dog on their lead

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

What did the Christians think ?

they was to busy with the lions to worry about a dog "

Not to mention the fish !!!

over a year ago

"Last night we went out to a pub that allows dogs in. As soon as I opened the door 2 or 3 Labs came charging over and one jumped up me.

We live in a rural area and I've no problem with people having dogs with them, but wish they'd control them better and respect other people a bit more."

Dogs and kids in a pub what a way to spoil your night out

over a year ago

"If that was my dog I would have been mortified! I mean the dog was just being friendly probably and I love dogs. But if it was my dog I would have in the very least apologised profusely, offered to buy you a drink and to replace your stockings.

This!

And personally I'd rather see dogs (kept under control and well behaved) than Unsupervised, hyper kids running riot and causing chaos and mayhem for waiting staff. A good pub dog is great. Unruly kids treating a pub like a playground while their parents get pissed on a weekend afternoon have me walking out and finding the next watering hole!

There shouldn't be anyone running around a pub. Fed up of going places and kids running around screeching. My kids sit there in disgust glaring at them lol.

Dogs should be under control too. Not everyone likes dogs, like someone else said. My dog was always on his lead. People are so rude these days. "

And ppl ask us why we choose Adult only hotels and out of school holiday for our hols, sick of kids running about while their parents sit getting pissed

By *iss_tressWoman
over a year ago

London

And you didn't say anything why?

over a year ago

I take my dog to pub now and then he loves a pint (joke). My dog as all should be in puvs etc is on lead sd good ad he is i respect and understand not everyone likes dogs.

over a year ago

We live in a rural area and I've no problem with people having dogs with them, but wish they'd control them better and respect other people a bit more.

And you didn't say anything why?"

Because a lot of people saw this happen but stood there and said nothing making me feel even more uncomfortable. The owners were in a clicky group. I just turned around and went straight to the ladies.

It's also not in my nature to make public displays. Probably why I frequently feel hard done to I guess. Perhaps I should come visit miss-stress for some "no one fucks with me training !"

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Unfortunately most dog owners think their dogs are loved by strangers in the same way that they love them.

I was sitting in the local park one summer having a picnic with my then partner. It was spoilt by a dog that came over and was sniffing around the food. The owner was laughing and not doing anything stern enough to coax the dog away. It was quite clear that we were not amused and in the end I had to tap it on the nose to warn it off. The owner went off quite miffed."

would suggest that 'some' dog owners etc etc, not most..

over a year ago

in Lancashire

The owners of the dogs were at fault as is the landlord of the pub..

OP i would have complained to the senior staff on duty, they have a duty of care etc to keep an orderly house etc..

respect you chose not to..

we along with our friends regularly if out for a walk will have a drink or even a meal with our 4 dogs who are on the lead and are kept out of others way..

mutual respect etc..

over a year ago

"To add insult to injury I'd been saving these stockings for a night out with John. They were seamed, which I rarely wear / even more so in public! and had lovely lacey tops and fitted a treat. I think they cost nearly ten pounds and I don't treat myself that often on things like that..

Hey ho...jeans next time "

Id get the owner of the dogs to buy ur next pair huni xx

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

If This Ever Happens to Anyone - do the footballer act and feign a serious injury.. .. watch the landlord shit himself when you say call an ambulance i think that fucking dog has just burst my stitches !!

over a year ago

I would have been so apologetic if that was my dog and I would have offered you a drink and replaced whatever the dog had damaged. If someone did that to me. I wouldn't have minded that much if they offered their apologies and replaced whatever clothes they damaged. However if they done that to me and didn't apalofise or anything I would have kicked off big time and if the dog left a mark on my skin. I would have definitely reported it. Harsh maybe, but if owners can't co from their pets. They shouldn't have one end of.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"why would you take your dog to the pub anyway?

its not something I have ever even thought about doing, when I take my dogs out I take them for a walk/run not to sit in a pub for hours, seems pointless to me "

Being 'dog friendly' is a badge of honour in certain pubs in Glasgow.

Why take your dog to the pub? Both pubs and dogs are part of your life - a part you enjoy sharing with your pals (and dogs are a great way of meeting new people).

No excuses for bad behaviour in dogs. Like kids, if they can't behave there should be no treats.

On a brighter note, the Ben Nevis Bar in Glasgow has produced a dog calendar featuring just some of the regulars.

Google Ben Nevis Dog Calendar for more info.

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

"Unfortunately most dog owners think their dogs are loved by strangers in the same way that they love them.

I was sitting in the local park one summer having a picnic with my then partner. It was spoilt by a dog that came over and was sniffing around the food. The owner was laughing and not doing anything stern enough to coax the dog away. It was quite clear that we were not amused and in the end I had to tap it on the nose to warn it off. The owner went off quite miffed.

"

I'll stick with my 'most' comment thanks....based on my experience with dog owners etc.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

I'll stick with my 'most' comment thanks....based on my experience with dog owners etc. "

so your 'most' is really 'most of the ones i have met'..?

as opposed to most, which lets face it is a sweeping generalisation..

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

I'll stick with my 'most' comment thanks....based on my experience with dog owners etc.

so your 'most' is really 'most of the ones i have met'..?

as opposed to most, which lets face it is a sweeping generalisation.."

In the same way that 'some' is a sweeping generalisation.

Dog owners accept their dog as part of their family. ... comparable to a child. I'm sure that they wouldn't expect a stranger to not like their dog just as they wouldn't expect you to not like their child.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Dog owners accept their dog as part of their family. ... comparable to a child. I'm sure that they wouldn't expect a stranger to not like their dog just as they wouldn't expect you to not like their child. "

ah pedantic..

some will and some wont, the actual numbers are what btw..?

maybe some do accept a dog as part of their 'family'..

for us our dogs are from their erspective and how they are treated, part of our 'pack' and they know their place within that..

again cant speak for 'most or even some' but we allways take the view that other people we meet (even other dog owners we dont actually know) may be either not keen or nervous of dogs..

and take action accordingly..

over a year ago

And this is the same approach I take when people visit our home. If our cat starts rubbing round them I put him in another room unless the person wants him to stop.

over a year ago

"And this is the same approach I take when people visit our home. If our cat starts rubbing round them I put him in another room unless the person wants him to stop. "

My cat greets visitors by sniffing their feet n shoes n then usually turns tail n walks out the room

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

"

Dog owners accept their dog as part of their family. ... comparable to a child. I'm sure that they wouldn't expect a stranger to not like their dog just as they wouldn't expect you to not like their child.

ah pedantic..

for us our dogs are from their erspective and how they are treated, part of our 'pack' and they know their place within that..

again cant speak for 'most or even some' but we allways take the view that other people we meet (even other dog owners we dont actually know) may be either not keen or nervous of dogs..

"

I'll take that as you losing an argument then by using a supposed insult ....pedantic..

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

ah pedantic..

I'll take that as you losing an argument then by using a supposed insult ....pedantic..

"

thought it was a debate..

shall i take your response as having no valid point to add to the debate, hence your assumption..

btw i dont deem this that important to have to resort to using an insult..

you are being pedantic in saying the use of the term 'some' is a sweeping generalisation..

by any definition its clearly not..

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

As I said I still stick with most.

Take 100.

None = 0

Some = 1 to 99

Most = 51 to 99

All = 100

I would imagine 51-99% of dog owners fall in the category I described. I have no proof that they do but you have no proof they don't.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"As I said I still stick with most.

Take 100.

None = 0

Some = 1 to 99

Most = 51 to 99

All = 100

I would imagine 51-99% of dog owners fall in the category I described. I have no proof that they do but you have no proof they don't."

no 'proof' but a clearer opinion based on years of ownership, training and contact with many others usually twice daily than an imagination..

over a year ago

" In my local the landlord has strict rules about dogs and children..

Ruby

I'd be inclined to want the children on a lead too I dunno why folk take kids IN pubs cos within minutes they are bored n then restless. A beer garden is fine for them but INSIDE a pub there is nothing to keep them amused n then they get jittery. A restaurant is somewhat different cos they are occupied with eating - altho I've seen kids running loose in restaurants toooo "

i agree.. i would never dream of taking my son to a pub unless it had a play garden and its a summers day and we stop there for a break in travelling say..

but if you have kids i think you shoudl take them to places they will enjoy if you have them with you.. pubs are for when they are being babysat!

over a year ago

i have a largish dog who is just coming on a year old.. he thinks he is a small dog like my other one and is still very much in training (just bought a head harness to calm him) i try and keep walks to quiet times when there isnt many people about and stop hiim from approaching anyone..

over a year ago

oh and just wanna say, it is confusing for dogs though cos some people love dogs and encourage them into meeting strangers.. so it is confusing for the dog and can take a while for them to learn..

By *opping_candyWoman
over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I take my kids in a pub, but for a meal not to just sit and drink. They sit and read a book or draw and colour with the things we take with us. They are 5 and 6 and very well behaved but I'd never take them to a pub to just sit and have a few drinks, that would be very unfair.

over a year ago

Social courtesy for both kids and dogs is all thats needed, simple!

Ps still have bruises and scratch some 10 days after this happened. Not good.

over a year ago

"Social courtesy for both kids and dogs is all thats needed, simple!

Ps still have bruises and scratch some 10 days after this happened. Not good. "

I agree when kids act like that. What happens? Parents tell them to calm down, etc. So why not do it towards pets? Basically they are lazy/stupid people who shouldn't have pets and this is the reason why. Although look on the bright side. You could have been another victim of a fatal dog attack.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Can't bare it when people expect me to acknowledge their dogs when they come sniffing round me or snotty nosed kids

By *exycleanerWoman
over a year ago

pontefract

Ps still have bruises and scratch some 10 days after this happened. Not good. "

hi was wondering how you were took my dogs

to pub last week when i went away sat in corner out of the way and hooked their lead round the leg of the chair so they not disturb anyone

over a year ago

to pub last week when i went away sat in corner out of the way and hooked their lead round the leg of the chair so they not disturb anyone "

Well done you! I'm VERY pro dogs n had a show kennel n have judged at crufts. Almost all problems re dogs r due to a lack of training by lazy owners. Almost any dog can be an integrated member of 'society' if only the owners would bother to put in the effort

over a year ago

to pub last week when i went away sat in corner out of the way and hooked their lead round the leg of the chair so they not disturb anyone "

Hi! Well by virtue of the fact you have considered not wanting to disturb others tells me you're not likely to fall into the category of careless dog owner.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

In my opinion , it has little to do with pubs ?

This is about a bad dog owner, this could happen anywhere and its the responsibility of the owner to prevent such events occurring .you deserved more than an apology if damage was caused to your property they should compensate x Oh and I love dogs and i like them in pubs it's people I have issues with x

Post new Message to Thread