Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I think I'm going to scream

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've spent about 13-15 hours over the last month planning an 8 week scheme of work for a kid to help boost her Science, she missed loads as her dad kept her out of school for 6 weeks to "home school" her, which in reality he didn't do. This planning included me buying a lot of resources and a lot of organising things as well as lesson plans.

Obviously I do lesson plans for kids all the time but not that take me that amount of time. If I spent that amount of time planning I'd work a 70 hour week...

This morning I get a text from the father to say they can't afford me anymore. So I've now got a sodding bespoke Science scheme of work and nothing to show for it financially. Minimum of 13 hours of work, for absolutely nothing...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Sorry to hear that..... Its the nature of the beast with being self employed...Could you not invoice them for materials brought?

over a year ago

No because they legally then would have ownership of them. The main one being subscription to a website. Realistically I will use it occasionally, but I wouldn't have had to spend the money on it if I hadn't have had to do the work for the kid.

If I was going to spend that money on a website subscription it would have been for an English or Maths one.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There are a lot of jobs and tasks / projects within jobs that end up getting filed in the bin.

Sadly, many of us get paid regardless of where the work ends up.

It must be very frustrating for a self employed person so I can sympathise with your annoyance.

Keep a hold of the plan tho - it may come in useful for someone else one day (or at least parts of it) and the work or the bigger part of it will already be done

over a year ago

This is true Bussy, I probably will use aspects of it in the future. But for KS3 I don't do a lot of Science teaching, in fact I'd say I do very little Science teaching, it tends to be GCSE Science.

I'm seriously considering going back to being employed by someone else rather than being self employed at the moment.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Don't be too hasty....I know money has been lost but these things happen...keep your chin up....x

over a year ago

I know, but my bank balance hasn't recovered from me being ill. I lost a lot from that and I'm losing more. The Bank of Mum only stretches so far. Xx

over a year ago

Can understand your frustration Ruby, and wish I had a magic wand to make things easier for you. I also feel sorry for the poor child who has lost your tuition, and skills.

Xx

over a year ago

Don't know how you work Ruby, but Home Tutors around my area all take money up-front ie. next weeks lesson is paid for this week or ... no lesson. That was the way when I had tutors for my boys, and while I was a Governor, I know the teachers at the school who also did it in their spare time did the same.

Don't know if that's workable in what you do, but I would urge anyone who's self-employed to incorporate some form of pre-payment wherever possible. Not easy in some industries, I know, but you have to protect your efforts and expenditure as much as possible.

With my business, it's pretty simple, but even I get caught out occasionally.

Like someone else said, don't be too hasty with all the work you have done - it may well come in very handy in the near future and you won't have to repeat the time or cost.

Ted.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I would certainly send them an invoice for money spent .I guess time you have to give up on.They should pay for books etc. whether they use or not. Up to him to sell it on EBAY isnt it . !! grrr.

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

I guess in future you will say this in advance. They pay for the stuff you buy before you start lessons.

over a year ago

I've been stitched up like that.

I wrote an entire weight loss program out for someone once.

Never again. Money up front please or 50% upfront and 50% on completion.

And/or escrow.

Ben

over a year ago

@Ted - I've always done payment on receipt of lesson but a 50% cancellation fee if they cancel within 24 hours.

As for the resources, I'd rather I keep them, with the subscription, in case I do need them again in the future. Its just really frustrating to have spent so long on something to get nothing in return.

I don't think there's much I can do, I don't feel comfortable asking someone who's lost their job for money when they're going to have other bills and a mortgage to pay.

Double edged sword time really.

Post new Message to Thread