Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

To post or not to post...

Jump to newest

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

The forum rules are clear as to what is acceptable when posting threads and responses.

Clearly there will be negative as well as positive posts and as long as they fall within the rules then they are accepted.

My question is....do you think the forum would be a better place if the only posts were positive ones? Do you stop yourself posting negative posts?

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Absolutely not. The banter and difference of opinions are what makes it so interesting. If it was all positive it would be like the Oprah Winfrey show.

I ignore the trolls but love the people that express their opinions in a good way. Whether I agree with them or not.

Reply privately

over a year ago

being positive and nice all the time gets boring at times, i have a mind of my own and prefer to say what i think, most of the time.

Reply privately

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

"Absolutely not. The banter and difference of opinions are what makes it so interesting. If it was all positive it would be like the Oprah Winfrey show.

I ignore the trolls but love the people that express their opinions in a good way. Whether I agree with them or not. "

I agree entirely with you....

Reply privately

over a year ago

I hope not as I love a good old fashioned bun fight

Reply privately

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

"Absolutely not. The banter and difference of opinions are what makes it so interesting. If it was all positive it would be like the Oprah Winfrey show.

I ignore the trolls but love the people that express their opinions in a good way. Whether I agree with them or not. "

I think that discussions are great and there are lots of various kinds of threads here.

My post on the other thread was about people being so negative towards someone who had taken pics and had asked for feedback. I understand that his pics may have not to have been to everyone's taste but it was other negative comments that I was getting at.

I'd hate the forums to be all sweetness and light constantly but I also think people shouldn't enjoy putting others down. But that's just my view

Reply privately

over a year ago

No I don't. As much as I am not one to post negative posts. It's a discussion board, so needs a little of all. As long as the posts are not offensive and fall within the rules of the site, negative posts are just as much needed to engage the debate..

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have to admit I have many times typed something in then had second thoughts and deleted it in fear of upsetting people

I am quite opinionated and tho we all have the rights to say what we think I feel there are times we don't have to exercise that rights so if I feel my opinion is quite strong I will keep it to myself

Reply privately

over a year ago

Healthy debate and difference of opinion make the forums a whole lot more interesting

Be nice if people were able to do that without getting personal but sometimes when losing a battle people can't help themselves

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"I hope not as I love a good old fashioned bun fight "

Reply privately

over a year ago

No, it wouldn't be a true reflection of society if everything was positive.

Life is far from totally positive.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The problem with these forums are some people are far to sensitive, I have in the past had people ignore me at clubs and socials because of something I have posted, so even without meeting me or knowing me they have decided they don't like me simply by a comment I have posted in here

Reply privately

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"The problem with these forums are some people are far to sensitive, I have in the past had people ignore me at clubs and socials because of something I have posted, so even without meeting me or knowing me they have decided they don't like me simply by a comment I have posted in here "

makes note to self

dont attend socials or will be given the silent treatment by 99%

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The problem with these forums are some people are far to sensitive, I have in the past had people ignore me at clubs and socials because of something I have posted, so even without meeting me or knowing me they have decided they don't like me simply by a comment I have posted in here "

I thinks sometimes people are a bit too sensitive and take things that are said too seriously.

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Probly shouldn't say this but Its rear I worry about forum rules other than how many days hours wks or total ban the powers that be deside to bestow me. I just hope that most if they like me or not can see I love it here becouse of the banter an iv no problem taking as well as reseving nothing I like more than a laff but like any where theres always those that wont to try an making them selves look big by trying to knock others an it seems for obvious reasons I look fair game heyho lifes a bitch but I'll live. I may have this wrong but its a adult forum an its 1 of the only things give me an aching face quite like it when ppl are bouncing off each other just having fun theres nowhere quit like it. Its not broken so dont fix it I say

Reply privately

By *ezebelWoman
over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Negative and positive posts are fine and people should realise that they wont always get the response they want when they post on a public forum.

I think the irritation stems from those people who only seem to post negative comments all the time - sometimes you just know what the response will be before you even open it....

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I hope not as I love a good old fashioned bun fight "

Your buns ain't bad either

Reply privately

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

I guess it depends on what sort of negative you mean.

Not agreeing or having a different view to others is fine.

Using your different view to belittle others, or just posting to pick faults in their spelling etc. is totally different.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I think the irritation stems from those people who only seem to post negative comments all the time - sometimes you just know what the response will be before you even open it...."

People that do this remind me of the dementors from Harry Potter......they literally suck the life and fun out of the forums with their misery

Reply privately

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"I guess it depends on what sort of negative you mean.

Using your different view to belittle others, or just posting to pick faults in their spelling etc. is totally different. "

I was soooo hoping for a typo that I could pick up on in your post Ryan

I'm with anyone that says difference of opinion is important, it's definitely all in the tone of the response - no need at all for the personal insults that are often flung about quite overtly or sometimes veiled

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

If everyone was polite, friendly and in total agreement with everyone else, my popcorn salesman would be out of business

Reply privately

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"

I think the irritation stems from those people who only seem to post negative comments all the time - sometimes you just know what the response will be before you even open it....

People that do this remind me of the dementors from Harry Potter......they literally suck the life and fun out of the forums with their misery "

Great analogy!

Reply privately

By *ire_bladeMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Using your different view to belittle others, or just posting to pick faults in their spelling etc. is totally different.

I was soooo hoping for a typo that I could pick up on in your post Ryan

I'm with anyone that says difference of opinion is important, it's definitely all in the tone of the response - no need at all for the personal insults that are often flung about quite overtly or sometimes veiled "

that was what I was trying to say thanks

Reply privately

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"The forum rules are clear as to what is acceptable when posting threads and responses.

Clearly there will be negative as well as positive posts and as long as they fall within the rules then they are accepted.

My question is....do you think the forum would be a better place if the only posts were positive ones? Do you stop yourself posting negative posts?"

No, too many yes people in one place would be a total nightmare....and boring!

Reply privately

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"

People that do this remind me of the dementors from Harry Potter......they literally suck the life and fun out of the forums with their misery "

Got a great image now lol.

Some may be over sensitive, I know I used to be. I enjoy a good discussion/debate and would hate it to be all sweetness and light and full of yes people.

As Ryan said, a discussion is one thing, but having a pip at people who can't spell or whatever is totally different, and IMO is uncalled for.

Reply privately

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

*pop not pip

Reply privately

over a year ago

I would hate it if all was positive and lovey dovey all the time.

I agree there is mo need to get personal. I do try to put a point across in an assertive but non threatening way. I don't always get it right.

I don't intentionally try and be spiteful but I sometimes lack tolerance with certain statements and I tend to reply in a manner which can be deemed as abrupt.

The best way is to put your point of view across in a way which is clear but doesn't leave someone feeling hurt by what's been typed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The problem with these forums are some people are far to sensitive, I have in the past had people ignore me at clubs and socials because of something I have posted, so even without meeting me or knowing me they have decided they don't like me simply by a comment I have posted in here

makes note to self

dont attend socials or will be given the silent treatment by 99%"

Eek! I'll have to go undercover.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Using your different view to belittle others, or just posting to pick faults in their spelling etc. is totally different. "

Reply privately

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

Just been thinking again about this and thought I'd bump the thread.

The past week, I have been stupidly saddened ( naievly so - sorry for poor spelling) about how some threads have developed. A few which were light hearted turned sour, another an OP was shot down by badly wording something, another where someone spelled something incorrectly and a lovely post was again shat all over. And as for the bitching that goes on, it's just horrid.

It does make me realise as to why many don't use forums and as to why many only post once in a while. I'm not looking for an argument or a he said she said nor am I saying everyone should agree with eachother.

What I do hope for is that this post doesn't fall on deaf ears (or eyes) and it gives people food for thought.

Respect others and you may find others respecting you.

Reply privately

By *ugby 123Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

O o O oo

And on that note maybe put this to bed.

Wise words Hels

Reply privately