Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What a Noise

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I have congenital hearing loss (had to point that out as its not due to being an old bugger)but have managed quite well up until the past couple of years.

Anyway yesterday I had a small hearing aid fitted and BOOM what a noisy world we live in. I am told it will settle and I will get used to it but at the moment, whilst its great for conversation, I just want to turn the background noise down.

Does anyone else have experience of hearing aids?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not got he same experience as you but I have bad tinnitus , one " cure" is to fit what is called a white noise hearing aid which helps to cancel out the whistling of the tinnitus, I've took it out now preferring the tinnitus to the noise of public life, I couldn't stand it!

over a year ago

I got a pair of hearing aids in December as my hearing has gotten worse over the years and like you the difference has been amazing. I can hear more in meetings (my concentration has improved as a result) and TV watching has become better as not only don't I need the volume as high everything is clearer. Good luck with them, you get far more used to them and some of the more uncomfortable noises settle down after a while and after your first review where they tween the settings

over a year ago

Thank you both for your replies. Its really strange every noise is very loud, sharp and crisp and I can't remember ever being able to hear like this.

I do miss out a lot in conversations so I am going to persevere and maybe get one for the other ear at my review.

over a year ago

In am 80 percent deaf in one ear,and have tried to wear my hearing aid.But cannot,because of the background noise that you talk about.I cannot wear it simply because my ear ends up burning,just like after you have been on a telephone for half an hour or so.

over a year ago

"In am 80 percent deaf in one ear,and have tried to wear my hearing aid.But cannot,because of the background noise that you talk about.I cannot wear it simply because my ear ends up burning,just like after you have been on a telephone for half an hour or so."

That's a shame, I haven't had any burning I wore it all day yesterday and so far today.

Post new Message to Thread