Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

plants

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

right i planted my bulbs a month ago and still no signs of life.. uncovered them and no shoots

shall i just bin them and buy some ones already flowering?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Did they have a date on for planting?

It depends really as the winter/spring is a bit buggered up this year so some have sprung early and others haven't.

In some cases bulbs have to be planted at a certain time for them to grow and then flourish. I'd guess if they haven't sprouted by now it may be worth in just buying busy lizzies or the likes so they produce some colour for a short time and then get some new bulbs for next spring x

over a year ago

i planted them when it said too.. gonna go garden centre tomorrow and buy some quick fix colour. front of my place looks bland.

oh and my flower magic seeds are shooting nicely

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"i planted them when it said too.. gonna go garden centre tomorrow and buy some quick fix colour. front of my place looks bland.

oh and my flower magic seeds are shooting nicely "

Have you tried plant food, I use a slow release feeder on mine, but the winter has played havoc with some of my plants

Going to do some planting this afternoon with my little one.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Mine are well alive, they have even perfected the art of jumping off the unit unaided ................

over a year ago

i bought compost with food in it.. said not to add more to it.

over a year ago

Mine are coming along nicely! Wish I could post a picture of them..I love a sea of colour.

By *ub bbwWoman
over a year ago

oldbury

i have some that came really early and others that despite being planted in january have only just started to shoot up so i would buy some bedding plants such as pansies or busy lizzies and plant them around the bulbs and give it a little longer

over a year ago

"Mine are coming along nicely! Wish I could post a picture of them..I love a sea of colour."

this year my garden is so dull.. last year was lush. im so going shopping tomorrow for instant colour.. cheating i know but i spend time out there and i love colour

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"i bought compost with food in it.. said not to add more to it."

Hmmm, it could have been the compost, depending on where it was stored and the date etc.

I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs lol sorry.

It's basically all down to the winter/spring, some plants may have needed uncovering sooner but with the harsh conditions it's hard to tell.

As I said just go for the cheap ones that will brighten the garden up and try again with the bulbs later on and just use a normal compost with a slow feed release x

over a year ago

I cheat even more Cute, I have a gardener lol

By *oddyWoman
over a year ago

between havant and chichester

"I cheat even more Cute, I have a gardener lol "

phew thats a relief dread to think your let loose with a strimmer

over a year ago

hels im totally a beginner at this gardening stuff..

spent a small fortune last year on pre grown plants, wanted to buy bulbs as was cheaper. meh

over a year ago

"I cheat even more Cute, I have a gardener lol

phew thats a relief dread to think your let loose with a strimmer "

they are lethal lol I don't go near dangerous things

over a year ago

Like a fool i bought tomato seeds this year, thinking not many germinate and grow on . i now have over 3 plants in my garden, with some peppers, chillis, spring onions and pumpkins to boot. September should be a good harvest

over a year ago

"hels im totally a beginner at this gardening stuff..

spent a small fortune last year on pre grown plants, wanted to buy bulbs as was cheaper. meh "

Buy some cheap non-diet lemonade and pour over the soil where the bulbs are, but make sure it's at room temperature first

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"hels im totally a beginner at this gardening stuff..

spent a small fortune last year on pre grown plants, wanted to buy bulbs as was cheaper. meh "

Bulbs can and do work, you just need to read the packaging. B&Q can be very good with their advice and (should) know their stuff. Don't pay over the odds for an all singing all dancing compost, just the normal bog standard is fine, and as I said get a slow release plant food.

With bulbs it's just when they need planting and how to look after them as they are all different. Some need to be in direct sunlight, others need shade etc.

I didn't plant any new ones this year so am just going for the ready made kind of plants which aren't always that cheap. If you look you can sometimes get a tray for 50p/£1 (sometimes even 5p if you get there before the staff has finished their shift) they may look a bit bashed but handle with care and plant them and they can look lovely in full bloom.

Give them plenty to drink but don't drown them and feed them a bit.

You don't need to spend a fortune on a good looking garden x

over a year ago

About march and October each year, dig in a load of 'oss shite

Post new Message to Thread