Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

driving lessons

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I'm so fed up getting buses and trains all the time I've said by the end of this year I must be driving. I've started lessons 3 times but cause of a drop in money and other things I haven't been able to keep it up.

I've got a friend of the family who will pay for 10 lessons for me and I should be able to keep on with the lessons after, but I need an instructor, anyone know of any good ones in north london?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reelove1969Couple
over a year ago

bristol

what's wrong with a Boris bike ?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

OMG good luck driving around London, especially learning to

over a year ago

"what's wrong with a Boris bike ? "

I've not tried 1 of them, have my own bike :p

But work is a lil far to get back from on a bike after working all day

over a year ago

"OMG good luck driving around London, especially learning to "

I wudnt b driving where its manic, its not bad where I am, fair amount of quiet roads :p

over a year ago

Stick to public transport

It's cheaper

It cost at least £20 a week just to have a car standing on the road. + fuel + maintenance + road rage

Sure you get the picture

over a year ago

"Stick to public transport

It's cheaper

It cost at least £20 a week just to have a car standing on the road. + fuel + maintenance + road rage

Sure you get the picture

"

...but it is more convenient - transport on your doorstep as it were

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

I sort of know how you feel. Public transport is all very well when you just need to get around London but getting out and getting some freedom prooves challenging.

I am adamant that I am learning how to drive this year. - 1) Because the work I want to do will require it. And 2) Because I'm sick of feeling stuck/restricted. x

over a year ago

you could try finding the names on drivig schools in your area and google them adding the word 'review'

over a year ago

"I'm so fed up getting buses and trains all the time "

I couldnt manage on public transport.

My first boss I ever had in employment tokd me that once im driving I would never kniw how I managed. - he was right.

I've been driving nearly 10 years now.

over a year ago

Id love to start driving lessons again

Problem is I work full time and can only have a sitter once every 6 weeks

Don't think Ill get very far with a lesson every 6 weeks do you ... Ill have to cope with sweaty trains and piss smelling buses

over a year ago

"I sort of know how you feel. Public transport is all very well when you just need to get around London but getting out and getting some freedom prooves challenging.

I am adamant that I am learning how to drive this year. - 1) Because the work I want to do will require it. And 2) Because I'm sick of feeling stuck/restricted. x"

My mums moved further away from me to, have to rely on my bf to drive me which is a hassle as he's always wanting a lie in when I wanna get up early and too want the freedom. Even if I don't get a car of my own yet and share his, I just want to be able to get myself about rather than waiting in the cold for a bus that's packed

My next stop is google, just wondered if there was someone on here that was an instructor local maybe or knew of 1.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I drive but won't drive I am not a confident driver and after several accidents (none my fault) I think sod it!I have got used to public transport but I am sure one day I will have advanced lessons to get my confidence back in the driving seat...

over a year ago

"Id love to start driving lessons again

Don't think Ill get very far with a lesson every 6 weeks do you ... Ill have to cope with sweaty trains and piss smelling buses "

Ah u just reminded me, I sat on this seat on a bus 1 morning, wasn't until I got up that I realised it was wet, as it was cold and raining thought It mighgt have been that my bum was cold (it normally is when its cold, takes ages to warm up) but nope the seat was wet and so were my trousers that I had to stay in all day just hoping it was from someones umbrella, cause if it wasn't I dread to imagine what it could have been

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"My mums moved further away from me to, have to rely on my bf to drive me which is a hassle as he's always wanting a lie in when I wanna get up early and too want the freedom. Even if I don't get a car of my own yet and share his, I just want to be able to get myself about rather than waiting in the cold for a bus that's packed

My next stop is google, just wondered if there was someone on here that was an instructor local maybe or knew of 1. "

That's just it, if you live together, would you not just be able to get your name onto his insurance?

My sister lives at home and basically what she does is she pays for her name to be on my Mum's insurance. She uses the car whenever she needs to and if she ever wants to get out of London for a long period of time she'll get a hire car. - Works out cheaper for her than forking out on a car she'll only use occassionally. x

over a year ago

"My mums moved further away from me to, have to rely on my bf to drive me which is a hassle as he's always wanting a lie in when I wanna get up early and too want the freedom. Even if I don't get a car of my own yet and share his, I just want to be able to get myself about rather than waiting in the cold for a bus that's packed

My next stop is google, just wondered if there was someone on here that was an instructor local maybe or knew of 1.

That's just it, if you live together, would you not just be able to get your name onto his insurance?

My sister lives at home and basically what she does is she pays for her name to be on my Mum's insurance. She uses the car whenever she needs to and if she ever wants to get out of London for a long period of time she'll get a hire car. - Works out cheaper for her than forking out on a car she'll only use occassionally. x"

That's what I'm thinking of until I get a decent job and can afford my own........I'm dreaming now, but gotta pass my test 1st, gotta find a decent instructor. Previous ones have been interesting lol

over a year ago

When im in London, i can do without a car as the transport links are so good. Infact, its better as i have a diesel and the self clean filter plays up if it doesn't get a good run.

when im in Cambridge, i couldn't live without a car.

tbh if i was you i would learn now and take the hit. Its only going to get more expensive with rates, fuel prices etc all rising.

i learnt with the AA and Red and never had any problems.

over a year ago

"Id love to start driving lessons again

Don't think Ill get very far with a lesson every 6 weeks do you ... Ill have to cope with sweaty trains and piss smelling buses "

could u have lesson during lunch hour/ take a week off work do an intensive course/ get an instructor to give you an early lesson pick up from home drop at work or vice versa??

over a year ago

"OMG good luck driving around London, especially learning to "

I leaned in London and while I agree it is tough. It will make you a better driver.

Only advice I have is get insured on a car and go driving as much as you can with them to learn the basics and the. Use your lesson to learn more, putting that into practice. This why you will spend less on lessons I only had 10 hours and pass first time.

Best of, luck.

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

got my car back on the road today wey hey

so glad i aint got to walk or stand waiting for poxy buses anymore

over a year ago

My sister lives at home and basically what she does is she pays for her name to be on my Mum's insurance. She uses the car whenever she needs to and if she ever wants to get out of London for a long period of time she'll get a hire car. - Works out cheaper for her than forking out on a car she'll only use occassionally. x

That's what I'm thinking of until I get a decent job and can afford my own........I'm dreaming now, but gotta pass my test 1st, gotta find a decent instructor. Previous ones have been interesting lol "

Living in London, Streetcar (actually it may have changed name) is worth signing up to.

Owning a car in London is an expensive game, and from experience unless you are really on the outskirts, it is debatable whether it is any more efficient timewise, while being far more epensive than public transport

over a year ago

"got my car back on the road today wey hey

so glad i aint got to walk or stand waiting for poxy buses anymore "

Lucky u

over a year ago

Just go to google and enter driving instructors near "your post code".

Post new Message to Thread