Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Food Planning

Jump to newest

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

With the food threads making a showing tonight in the Forum it got me thinking about how much planning ahead goes into your meal selection.

For instance sometimes (not often) I'll get something out of the freezer in the morning and cook it that evening.

More often than not I'll go to one of the local supermarkets and buy something that I really fancy. For example: this evening on my way there I really felt like a curry. I bought a Chinese curry that was reduced to half price but then saw a peri peri whole roasted chicken from the hot counter that was a third of the original cost. As the curry had to be used by today I put it in the freezer and ate some of the chicken.

So my question is do you stick rigidly to your planned meal or eat on a whim?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

no planning here but i reall should to be honest

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Off camping tomorrow for 4 days, planned every meal, though to be honest there is a lovely pub around the corner so it may all go to pot! So much for a cheap break!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

No planning here...I tend to get a load of reduced sushi from Waitrose and munch on that...

over a year ago

I tend to stick to what ive planned as its easier to buy and plan,don't often eat on a whim i did every day before i had kids to feed.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I eat what I am given. The summer is always difficult as I have to fend for myself and I find that buying stuff doesn't always match what I fancy on any given day.

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Eat on a whim mostly only ever plan one or two days ahead, fill my freezer with freshly made stuff regularly, for days when I CBA.

over a year ago

I must just be anal and have ocd

over a year ago

I buy in many of the essential building blocks of dishes and then tend to buy reduced priced fruit,veg, meats etc and then create things from there.

So its fairly fluid.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I must just be anal and have ocd "

No I try... And fail...

over a year ago

I always get my fresh meat and eggs and such off the butcher so i email him a weekly order so plan ahead what we want for the week.

By *ensualtouch15Man
over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Almost never plan , I like to buy fresh and prepare on the day , today was froached salmon omelette and spelt pasta

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I always get my fresh meat and eggs and such off the butcher so i email him a weekly order so plan ahead what we want for the week."

I need to come and live with you...

By *kywatcher OP   Man
over a year ago

Southwick

"I must just be anal and have ocd "

It's a lot easier when you're on your own to eat on a whim. As you say if you are cooking for a family then a certain amount of pre planning has to be in place.

When my young son came over to me for a weekend shopping was easy as he always ate the same thing....fish fingers chips and sweetcorn.

over a year ago

I grocery/food shop once a week Thursday evenings.

I'll check out the offerings from the hot food counter and ask the very helpful staff to reserve the goodies for reduction later, for me to pick them up at the end of my shopping round.

I am a regular and they know me well.

Yesterday I got a roast gammon shank for 99p! The cheapest roast chicken I got was 9p, however, that had not been repeated, usually it is about half price!

In the winter, I would cook a big pot of stew/sauce/soup/etc., and freeze what I don't eat in portions in air-tight containers for lunch. Just need to add some starch and vegetables and I'll have a nice home-made meal for lunch.

Don't eat a proper meal in the evenings, just snack whatever in the house, like cold meat, toasts etc...

Yup, I normally plan ahead.

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"I always get my fresh meat and eggs and such off the butcher so i email him a weekly order so plan ahead what we want for the week."

You email the butcher? Haha I have never heard of that before

By *ouplefunukCouple
over a year ago

North Bristol

I usually plan a weeks meals in advance. I buy for the meal plan only and get things out of the freezer in the morning for that evening.

When I cook, I cook for 4 and 2 portions go in the freezer for those nights I don't feel like cooking.

This has all gone to pot over the last 2 months with work being so busy and not getting in till 8/9. I'm finding it hard to get back into.

Hubby is supposed to cook at the weekends but it rarely works out like that

*Her*

over a year ago

I never plan what I'm going to eat. I just walk straight up the counter and ask what have you got ready that I can eat now.

(B)

over a year ago

"I always get my fresh meat and eggs and such off the butcher so i email him a weekly order so plan ahead what we want for the week.

I need to come and live with you... "

so do we

over a year ago

"I usually plan a weeks meals in advance. I buy for the meal plan only and get things out of the freezer in the morning for that evening.

When I cook, I cook for 4 and 2 portions go in the freezer for those nights I don't feel like cooking.

This has all gone to pot over the last 2 months with work being so busy and not getting in till 8/9. I'm finding it hard to get back into.

Hubby is supposed to cook at the weekends but it rarely works out like that

*Her*"

husband does all the cooking all the time

Post new Message to Thread