Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Prom

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Im shocked at how much its costing to send the lads to prom...Ive no idea why schools have had to take on the bloody American tradition but as much as i don't agree with it wont have my kids miss out.

What American things annoy you?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Im shocked at how much its costing to send the lads to prom...Ive no idea why schools have had to take on the bloody American tradition but as much as i don't agree with it wont have my kids miss out.

What American things annoy you?"

Obama.

over a year ago

Ha ha ha

By *ust_for_laughsCouple
over a year ago

Hinckley

What happened to a leaving disco and a bottle of cider and 10 fags down the park before you went in ?

By *iceguydaveMan
over a year ago

Monmouth

"Im shocked at how much its costing to send the lads to prom...Ive no idea why schools have had to take on the bloody American tradition but as much as i don't agree with it wont have my kids miss out.

What American things annoy you?"

My son's about to leave 6th form and their committee also tried to arrange a massive (and expensive) USA style prom, expecting everyone to spend a fortune on clothes and also to stay over in a posh hotel.. as the date got closer more and more people dropped out, and in the end it was apparently a bit of a disaster..

Sad for those who tried to set it up, but I could see it coming (as could my cynical teen!) - they'd have had a much better response if they'd just had a massive party that everyone could commit to without having to ask their parents for a small fortune up front!

I don't think it's the schools themselves pushing for this kind of do, more that the kids have seen it on telly and think it's what everybody does!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I paid £300+ for my granddaughter dress for her prom, and will have to do it all again next year for the Twins

over a year ago

What American things annoy you?

My son's about to leave 6th form and their committee also tried to arrange a massive (and expensive) USA style prom, expecting everyone to spend a fortune on clothes and also to stay over in a posh hotel.. as the date got closer more and more people dropped out, and in the end it was apparently a bit of a disaster..

Sad for those who tried to set it up, but I could see it coming (as could my cynical teen!) - they'd have had a much better response if they'd just had a massive party that everyone could commit to without having to ask their parents for a small fortune up front!

I don't think it's the schools themselves pushing for this kind of do, more that the kids have seen it on telly and think it's what everybody does!"

Your'e probably right with the kids pushing for it..its a big deal to them...we got an afternoon disco in the school hall and survived with 20/20

By *ub bbwWoman
over a year ago

oldbury

we had the valedictorian ball at a localish hotel the girls wore best dress and the boys shirt and trousers those were about £30 a ticket and my mum moaned about that so im glad we didnt have the full on prom style event as i wouldnt have gone to that. I like the idea for leaving high school but have seen some schools do it b efore the kids go up to high school too this is extreme.

American things that annoy me are american spellings people who insist on using them when they have been taught the speak english and learnt the english spelling

over a year ago

Our eldest daughter has her prom next month . She knew where she wanted to get her dress from last year. This shop takes note of the date, school and location and makes sure no one else from her school has the same dress, not even in a different colour. Which is a bloody good job as it cost us over £300 in the sale. She looks like a princess and totally different style to what she originally said she wanted.

The limo is costing £170 which we are footing the bill for. Thankfully our daughter has just secured herself an apprenticeship in a local salon so is getting her hair done for free lol . But she had her head screwed on as she has arranged tanning parties and nail parties so she gets hers done free or for a cheaper price.

But at the end of the day we are willing to do all of this for all our kids as they work hard and always try their best st everything they do.

Thankfully there will be a 3 year gap before our lad has his, and that will just be a suit. But I'm sure if he could he would rather just wear his tracky pants lol

over a year ago

anything American annoys me

over a year ago

Isn't it all just about the wording of it. I had a leavers disco, ju went to a posh school so it was called a Ball now it's a prom.

My daughters prom dress cost £60 and she looks so pretty in it. There will be girls there in dresses that cost hundreds but that isn't her style, thank god.

My sons prom suit was £150. But he used that suit all through sixth form and for a couple of interviews so we got good value from it.

I still called their events the school disco because basically that's all it is.

over a year ago

"Our eldest daughter has her prom next month . She knew where she wanted to get her dress from last year. This shop takes note of the date, school and location and makes sure no one else from her school has the same dress, not even in a different colour. Which is a bloody good job as it cost us over £300 in the sale. She looks like a princess and totally different style to what she originally said she wanted.

The limo is costing £170 which we are footing the bill for. Thankfully our daughter has just secured herself an apprenticeship in a local salon so is getting her hair done for free lol . But she had her head screwed on as she has arranged tanning parties and nail parties so she gets hers done free or for a cheaper price.

But at the end of the day we are willing to do all of this for all our kids as they work hard and always try their best st everything they do.

Thankfully there will be a 3 year gap before our lad has his, and that will just be a suit. But I'm sure if he could he would rather just wear his tracky pants lol

"

I wish it was just a suit im on with 2 suits,a car had to pay for the tickets and now have to find a waistcoat and tie to match ones girlfriends dress and your right his girlfriends dress has cost £700 which is crazy.I was going to rent a tux but decided on buying a good suit as having the same idea will be good for interviews

over a year ago

"Our eldest daughter has her prom next month . She knew where she wanted to get her dress from last year. This shop takes note of the date, school and location and makes sure no one else from her school has the same dress, not even in a different colour. Which is a bloody good job as it cost us over £300 in the sale. She looks like a princess and totally different style to what she originally said she wanted.

I wish it was just a suit im on with 2 suits,a car had to pay for the tickets and now have to find a waistcoat and tie to match ones girlfriends dress and your right his girlfriends dress has cost £700 which is crazy.I was going to rent a tux but decided on buying a good suit as having the same idea will be good for interviews "

I shall be driving my daughter and her friends to and from the prom. Her friends wanted to go in a black taxi so ideal really.

My son went on the bus.

over a year ago

And my daughter and her friends are having a get together before and they are doing each others hair and nails.

So her prom has cost me about £80.

I may turn the metre on when driving her friends home to make some of this back

over a year ago

I generally like Americans, but get a bit annoyed when they have to do absolutely everything bigger, louder and much more expensive than everyone else.

over a year ago

"And my daughter and her friends are having a get together before and they are doing each others hair and nails.

So her prom has cost me about £80.

I may turn the metre on when driving her friends home to make some of this back "

Im glad its not put you back much i don't have to worry about hair and nails thank god...Im sure after all my moaning i will be the embarrassing mum taking photos and blubbing

over a year ago

Oh I'm sure I'll embarrass her at some stage , ju did cry when she saw our son in his suit so he refused to have photos done. But I'm determined to get photos of my daughter and me. She's a bit of a daddy's girl so hopefully it'll be fine.

over a year ago

Proms are allot of money but it is worth it I drive limos and have taken a few lads and girls to proms . The look on the kids face and the excitment is priceless .

Post new Message to Thread