Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Safety

Jump to newest

By *he_original_polo OP   Woman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Mark Bridger, the guy on trial in the April Jones case, was found to have photos of young girls he recognised from the area stored on his computer – acquired via facebook. Does something like this make you think about the difficulties of controlling safety on the internet?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

For those who have not followed the case, I should add some of the photos were of April's older sister.... which some believe may have been part of why April was picked out as a target.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

My daughter who is seven as been asking to set up a Facebook account and I have so far refused. After hearing what is going on in Aprils case she has no chance

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I had these concerns before the April Jones case.

Almost at the very beginning of the internet my German exchange student found me and sent me a message. When social media came into being and scanners were easy to access photos I had thought long gone appeared. With everything digital, and virtually indelible, it is so much easier and a lot faster.

If the police investigated any computer there would probably be something that could be seen as incriminating in some way or another.

By * n zCouple
over a year ago

leamington spa

It's a nightmare, there are so many social sites its impossible to keep an eye on our kids completely, I tell mine of the dangers and make sure they have their privacy settings so that random people can't look at pics.

I know of kids that have set up accounts on their friends phones I pads etc, so unfortunately refusing them doesn't always work ........

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I was lucky that my child was way before social networking and mobiles.

That said I would not allow a child younger than say 12 to have a Facebook account, pc in their room, pc without a strict firewall, mobile unrestricted, etc. But I know many parents who do.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Mark Bridger, the guy on trial in the April Jones case, was found to have photos of young girls he recognised from the area stored on his computer – acquired via facebook. Does something like this make you think about the difficulties of controlling safety on the internet?"
..Give me ten minutes and a pair of pliers locked in a room with that scum bag and he will tell me what he knows,and where she is.Lee. ,Evil breeds evil when good men do nothing,this human rights bill protects these fuckers,burn it re write it.xx

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Mark Bridger, the guy on trial in the April Jones case, was found to have photos of young girls he recognised from the area stored on his computer – acquired via facebook. Does something like this make you think about the difficulties of controlling safety on the internet?..Give me ten minutes and a pair of pliers locked in a room with that scum bag and he will tell me what he knows,and where she is.Lee. ,Evil breeds evil when good men do nothing,this human rights bill protects these fuckers,burn it re write it.xx"

Yeah ok......

over a year ago

"For those who have not followed the case, I should add some of the photos were of April's older sister.... which some believe may have been part of why April was picked out as a target."

There is a very blasé attitude by some towards internet safety. Social media sites are often being sort out to find who people really are and where they are. If I had young children it would really worry me how some people find it so easy to find out where young children are and have enough information to con children into being known by the family.

over a year ago

"For those who have not followed the case, I should add some of the photos were of April's older sister.... which some believe may have been part of why April was picked out as a target.

There is a very blasé attitude by some towards internet safety. Social media sites are often being sort out to find who people really are and where they are. If I had young children it would really worry me how some people find it so easy to find out where young children are and have enough information to con children into being known by the family."

Don't forget they can scope the area on google maps to find play areas, places to park.... even access to gardens.... without setting foot out of their front door.

over a year ago

It amazes me how much people post on the internet. I have nothing on my Facebook account about the kids. So many people post photos on there that are really too personal (in my opinion). Seen some people even post pics of their kids in the bath ffs. Idiots.

over a year ago

"For those who have not followed the case, I should add some of the photos were of April's older sister.... which some believe may have been part of why April was picked out as a target.

There is a very blasé attitude by some towards internet safety. Social media sites are often being sort out to find who people really are and where they are. If I had young children it would really worry me how some people find it so easy to find out where young children are and have enough information to con children into being known by the family.

Don't forget they can scope the area on google maps to find play areas, places to park.... even access to gardens.... without setting foot out of their front door."

It really would make me think twice If I had young children as to what information I made available to the public and often even no here people mentioning children they have seems a little blasé for what is a sex related site. Being realistic its a free site and we would be foolish to kid ourselves deviants wouldn't join this site.

over a year ago

The minimum age for a Facebook account is 13 tho this is not regulated or checked carefully. I have an acquaintance whose daughter and her friends have all had accounts since they were 9!!! This particular child has been know to be on Facebook still at midnight and has difficulty attending school because she cannot get up in the mornings - I wonder why?!

If children this young are using Facebook so late at night, it begs the question how can their parents be "policing" their use of the internet and also brings into question how much they actually care??!!

over a year ago

"Mark Bridger, the guy on trial in the April Jones case, was found to have photos of young girls he recognised from the area stored on his computer – acquired via facebook. Does something like this make you think about the difficulties of controlling safety on the internet?..Give me ten minutes and a pair of pliers locked in a room with that scum bag and he will tell me what he knows,and where she is.Lee. ,Evil breeds evil when good men do nothing,this human rights bill protects these fuckers,burn it re write it.xx

Yeah ok......"

..Yeah ok???? W.T.F does that meen????????????

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It means all your 'huffing and puffing and blowing your house down' is hollow talk, it has absolutely no substance when someone acts like a keyboard warrior from the safety of their living room.....

So spare me all this 'Give me Ten minutes' rubbish, it just comes across as ridiculous.

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"I was lucky that my child was way before social networking and mobiles.

That said I would not allow a child younger than say 12 to have a Facebook account, pc in their room, pc without a strict firewall, mobile unrestricted, etc. But I know many parents who do."

FB actually dictates they should be 13 before having an account. When they enter their dates of birth they HAVE to lie about the year of FB blocks them....

over a year ago

"It means all your 'huffing and puffing and blowing your house down' is hollow talk, it has absolutely no substance when someone acts like a keyboard warrior from the safety of their living room.....

So spare me all this 'Give me Ten minutes' rubbish, it just comes across as ridiculous.

"

Would you still be saying that if it was your kid?,Keyboard warrior i like that one ,you live in your happy pink world love and i will live in the real world,Human rights bill stops Real men getting the Answers they need,something you will never understand

over a year ago

I don't think anyone's view on what this despicable human being did is ridiculous! I live less than an hour away from where this terrible tragedy happened and feelings here are very very strong, as they are all over the country! Going back to what the OP asked though, I'm just glad I don't have children as the worry of what information people like this man can gain from the internet is scary to say the least.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"It means all your 'huffing and puffing and blowing your house down' is hollow talk, it has absolutely no substance when someone acts like a keyboard warrior from the safety of their living room.....

Would you still be saying that if it was your kid?,Keyboard warrior i like that one ,you live in your happy pink world love and i will live in the real world,Human rights bill stops Real men getting the Answers they need,something you will never understand "

You have hit the nail on the head with your reference to 'Real Men', it is ridiculous.

It is British Law that stops thugs from torturing prisoners....not the Human Rights Act.

So spare me your 'Real Men' rubbish

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"Mark Bridger, the guy on trial in the April Jones case, was found to have photos of young girls he recognised from the area stored on his computer – acquired via facebook. Does something like this make you think about the difficulties of controlling safety on the internet?"

I don't know what the alternative would be, Facebook already has a system for protecting children under the age of 13 from opening an account.

I suppose we could ban Facebook.....but what website next?

Where would it end?.....when does protection for the population become State censorship?

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

Try this one..

We went to ur kids primary school nativity play.. and the parents are not allowed to take photos or film it etc.. as the school would usually have their own photographer... fine

Found out about febuary time that the school had filmed the kids play and posted all the footage on YouTube.....

So - How would you react ???

well - we were not kinda happy about not being informed or even asked !!!

Most of the other parents thought it was either - great / fantastic / brilliant ..

Where do we police the internet from if our primary schools are doing this.. and this school plans to post one every year from now on...

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

The reason why this case is in the news is because 'stranger danger' is so rare. Most child abuse is done by someone they know, usually a relative. And children die all the time from abuse without it being in even a local paper. The media attaches itself to the rare, unusual, or particularly heinous, while the majority of children live safe and well into adulthood.

My daughter has had an internet presence most of her life, on MySpace, Bebo, and Facebook, and yet she's never been abducted, abused, or murdered. I think the panic that is constantly whipped up whenever this sort of case happens should be taken with a bit of perspective. And don't forget, people are innocent until PROVEN guilty in this country.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"The reason why this case is in the news is because 'stranger danger' is so rare. Most child abuse is done by someone they know, usually a relative. And children die all the time from abuse without it being in even a local paper. The media attaches itself to the rare, unusual, or particularly heinous, while the majority of children live safe and well into adulthood.

My daughter has had an internet presence most of her life, on MySpace, Bebo, and Facebook, and yet she's never been abducted, abused, or murdered. I think the panic that is constantly whipped up whenever this sort of case happens should be taken with a bit of perspective. And don't forget, people are innocent until PROVEN guilty in this country."

This

By * n zCouple
over a year ago

leamington spa

"The reason why this case is in the news is because 'stranger danger' is so rare. Most child abuse is done by someone they know, usually a relative. And children die all the time from abuse without it being in even a local paper. The media attaches itself to the rare, unusual, or particularly heinous, while the majority of children live safe and well into adulthood.

My daughter has had an internet presence most of her life, on MySpace, Bebo, and Facebook, and yet she's never been abducted, abused, or murdered. I think the panic that is constantly whipped up whenever this sort of case happens should be taken with a bit of perspective. And don't forget, people are innocent until PROVEN guilty in this country."

Well said, kids are much more likely to be run over, or injured or killed in some other accident than abducted by a pervert.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 18/05/13 21:34:01]

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"The reason why this case is in the news is because 'stranger danger' is so rare.

He wasn't a stranger! April and her family knew this man! "

I thought they knew of him, not knew him.

over a year ago

I work in a primary school, am often sent friends requests from pupils( my avatar is a cartoon character and I have all settings on private, they send friends request to lots of people with the same name)

But lots of children from the primary school i work at have profiles , some of them are in their underwear! Pictures which parents have taken and uploaded to Facebook.

School did several lessons on face book safety and settings but we were slagged off for being interfering!

Parents need to realise that social networking sites are not innocent ways for children to communicate with others.

over a year ago

"I work in a primary school, am often sent friends requests from pupils( my avatar is a cartoon character and I have all settings on private, they send friends request to lots of people with the same name)

But lots of children from the primary school i work at have profiles , some of them are in their underwear! Pictures which parents have taken and uploaded to Facebook.

School did several lessons on face book safety and settings but we were slagged off for being interfering!

Parents need to realise that social networking sites are not innocent ways for children to communicate with others. "

.Well said.xx

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

If I knew of ANY parent taking a photo of a child of Primary School age in their underwear and publishing it on their child's Facebook page I think I would not hesitate to act on it.....

Surely that would be responsible of anyone?

over a year ago

"If I knew of ANY parent taking a photo of a child of Primary School age in their underwear and publishing it on their child's Facebook page I think I would not hesitate to act on it.....

Surely that would be responsible of anyone?"

It doesn't just have to be underwear tho, there are millions of pics of children on the beach in swimwear, toddlers naked in baths, all probably taken very innocently. Some people will see sex in any scenario.

Yes safety is a big issue on the Internet and with the popularity of social networking sites then we get almost unrestricted access to peoples personal pictures. And of course we have no control over how those pictures are used. The grim reality is that for any one of us who has pictures of our children on the Internet, there could be someone saving those pics on their computer for fantasising over.

It isn't just the Internet tho, anyone can get a pic of someone they see, we all have phones with cameras, no one pays any attention if someone gets their phone out in the street. It is scary

over a year ago

"If I knew of ANY parent taking a photo of a child of Primary School age in their underwear and publishing it on their child's Facebook page I think I would not hesitate to act on it.....

Surely that would be responsible of anyone?"

Cause for concern forms are filled in and passed on to the relative bodies.. From there on in its out of our hands unfortunately

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

That said I would not allow a child younger than say 12 to have a Facebook account, pc in their room, pc without a strict firewall, mobile unrestricted, etc. But I know many parents who do.

FB actually dictates they should be 13 before having an account. When they enter their dates of birth they HAVE to lie about the year of FB blocks them...."

Wasn't aware it was 13 actually but that makes sense.

By *icked weaselCouple
over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

O.K. - Too sum it up !! the world is fucked and everyone is a pervert..

happy times eh.

over a year ago

If the odds are so low, and of course she is now older, would you be happy to post her name and address on here?

Would you post your own?

Is internet safety just about protecting children from being abducted?

This guy (allegedly) tracked down the facebook accounts of young girls in his area. How often do we see posts about recognising people on here? And they are the people who post about it.... we have no idea how don't and it's the ones who don't we probably should be more cautious about.

The odds of something happening may be low..... but does that mean we shouldn't try to minimise the risk wherever possible?

By *riendly foeWoman
over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Im just glad my kids were well into teens before I got a computer...

Would hate to be the parent of a young child now....

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

FB actually dictates they should be 13 before having an account. When they enter their dates of birth they HAVE to lie about the year of FB blocks them....

Wasn't aware it was 13 actually but that makes sense."

I wasn't until I got step kids....I didn't have FB at that point but when they wanted to join I did some research..and my ex and I had their passwords. They weren't allowed to change them and they agreed we could log on whenever we wanted to check what was going on...

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I think your average child molester/murderer has ample opportunity to source potential targets/victims by a simple trip down to his local park or playground.

Apart from the April case is there any indication that Facebook has been the source for child molesters/murderers to find their victims?

Or are Social Networking sites just a convenient whipping post to blame?

over a year ago

"

Or are Social Networking sites just a convenient whipping post to blame?"

Social networks are not to blame..... it's the way some people use them.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"I think your average child molester/murderer has ample opportunity to source potential targets/victims by a simple trip down to his local park or playground.

Apart from the April case is there any indication that Facebook has been the source for child molesters/murderers to find their victims?

I think there have been a number of cases of grooming via social networking sites.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

To be fair to social media although i believe peop;e do tend to live there lives out on there and give away far too much personal information in general, there is other as serious risks to peoples privacy in general.

Working in the ITsec field it basicly seems that technology is outstripping the users abilitiy to get a grip of its capabilities and security features. That and 240,000 pieces of malware hitting the net every hour,i cant help thinking that the public are being left out to dry and at the mercy of the evil types.

For example a lot of people have put wifi cameras into their childrens rooms to watch over them while asleep ,some (not all) are accessible from the web and can be tracked and pinpointed using geo location techniques that i will not go into,this is not a good state of affairs as parents generally are not aware.We have flagged this up to the supplying company based in the far east but basically they do not give a toss.

WI-Fi is major expoaure point if you do not get it right, try to switch off all wifi devices and have a look if there is still traffic going through your router, "It could" be an indicator that someone is piggy backing on your service or a worse scenario conducting a man in the middle attack against you

and watching all of your traffic unless you have made provision for that happening.

Also with Google Hack technigues ,its fairly easy to find information out on anyone if you really want to and apply yourself, with big data coming in, the situation will only get worse.

Short answer if you know nothing about firewalls or security,or forms of encryption that can protect your data ,get someone who does. Or research it yourself,you can get free software to conduct vulnerability attacks against your own IP address, but it is a minefield with so many variables.

Try Searching for yourself on google and find out what is out there or even type in your kids name to ensure any data on them is not being leaked onto the web.

If you find anything on you or your family you do not wat there ,you can ask for it to be removed under the Data Protection Act ,nost companies respond quickly as the penalties for not complying is a high 5 figure fine, at the moment they are applying these fines

even for minor breaches.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"To be fair to social media although i believe peop;e do tend to live there lives out on there and give away far too much personal information in general, there is other as serious risks to peoples privacy in general.

Working in the ITsec field it basicly seems that technology is outstripping the users abilitiy to get a grip of its capabilities and security features. That and 240,000 pieces of malware hitting the net every hour,i cant help thinking that the public are being left out to dry and at the mercy of the evil types.

For example a lot of people have put wifi cameras into their childrens rooms to watch over them while asleep ,some (not all) are accessible from the web and can be tracked and pinpointed using geo location techniques that i will not go into,this is not a good state of affairs as parents generally are not aware.We have flagged this up to the supplying company based in the far east but basically they do not give a toss.

WI-Fi is major expoaure point if you do not get it right, try to switch off all wifi devices and have a look if there is still traffic going through your router, "It could" be an indicator that someone is piggy backing on your service or a worse scenario conducting a man in the middle attack against you

and watching all of your traffic unless you have made provision for that happening.

Also with Google Hack technigues ,its fairly easy to find information out on anyone if you really want to and apply yourself, with big data coming in, the situation will only get worse.

Short answer if you know nothing about firewalls or security,or forms of encryption that can protect your data ,get someone who does. Or research it yourself,you can get free software to conduct vulnerability attacks against your own IP address, but it is a minefield with so many variables.

Try Searching for yourself on google and find out what is out there or even type in your kids name to ensure any data on them is not being leaked onto the web.

If you find anything on you or your family you do not wat there ,you can ask for it to be removed under the Data Protection Act ,nost companies respond quickly as the penalties for not complying is a high 5 figure fine, at the moment they are applying these fines

even for minor breaches."

Thanks, and I thought googling ones own name was just for the vain.

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

lmao no ...the google spiders are indiscriminate you would be amazed what they pick up .....

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"lmao no ...the google spiders are indiscriminate you would be amazed what they pick up ....."

I am not the teenager into Bieber with a Facebook account. Some really old stuff on there - from the days before the internet!

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"lmao no ...the google spiders are indiscriminate you would be amazed what they pick up .....

I am not the teenager into Bieber with a Facebook account. Some really old stuff on there - from the days before the internet!"

If you want them taken down you can, i wont look honest

over a year ago

"Try this one..

We went to ur kids primary school nativity play.. and the parents are not allowed to take photos or film it etc.. as the school would usually have their own photographer... fine

Found out about febuary time that the school had filmed the kids play and posted all the footage on YouTube.....

Most of the other parents thought it was either - great / fantastic / brilliant ..

Where do we police the internet from if our primary schools are doing this.. and this school plans to post one every year from now on...

"

No they can't do this unless all the parents of the children involved sign the forms at the start of te yet saying they were happy for photos and video to be used. If you're unhappy do something. tell them you are revoking your permission.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

"lmao no ...the google spiders are indiscriminate you would be amazed what they pick up .....

I am not the teenager into Bieber with a Facebook account. Some really old stuff on there - from the days before the internet!

If you want them taken down you can, i wont look honest "

That seems a little cruel for the poor teenager who just happens to share my name. Ah, go on - take her down just for cheek of making people think I like Bieber.

over a year ago

"I think your average child molester/murderer has ample opportunity to source potential targets/victims by a simple trip down to his local park or playground.

I would think there is more occurrences on sex related sites like this or other similar ones where molesters take note of what is said in chatrooms or on the forums and contact people they then know who have small children.

Cyber stalkers, hackers and the rest are all pc literate and sly in what they do and its worrying to say the least. All you can do is block or inform the powers that be if you suspect someone.

By *oulou45Woman
over a year ago

Bucks

"Try this one..

"

I would of been angry had it been me. I look after adults with learning disabilities, although we can take photos of them for the house. We have to seek family permision, if they are for anything outside and quite rightly so .

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

There is a news report today about whether primary school children should be given porn awareness, in order to avoid it on the net.

Where are the parents?

over a year ago

NO ! real safety on the internet ! some of these IT geeks can hack into anything , frightening really ,

over a year ago

"There is a news report today about whether primary school children should be given porn awareness, in order to avoid it on the net.

Where are the parents?"

let children grow up normally ! IF you tell a child not to do something ! wot are they going to do ? WE are ruining thes kids childhoods

Post new Message to Thread