Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

construction

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Was really just wondering is the building trade picking up in your area I'm from the north east and there isn't alot of work kicking about at the minute . I'm going to Manchester as I have work there and was thinking if there was much work there maybe I could move there or something. Just sick of Newcastle at the moment I know this topic isn't for everyone but would like to hear from other trades people

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *kywatcherMan
over a year ago

Southwick

Slow here in Sussex area.

We're forever having grand building schemes put forward for development in Brighton but turned down by planning committees.

By *un_JuiceCouple
over a year ago

Nr Chester

Mech Fitter here in Rail Construction, I sacked off contracting a while ago, too many tin pot agencies full of shite hacking down what was a decent earner undercutting one another to secure the deals. By the time accountant, digs, living expenses were taking out it was hardly worthwhile the hours you put in.

Construction may be better in Mcr than Newcastle at present but it's swings and roundabouts. Good luck. Some tabloids on Thursdays have job opportunities.

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

Construction is a massive industry and covers housebuilders, civil engineering, road building, renovation et

some sectors are faring ok despite recent press, some aren't..

and yes I do work in construction...

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Was really just wondering is the building trade picking up in your area I'm from the north east and there isn't alot of work kicking about at the minute . I'm going to Manchester as I have work there and was thinking if there was much work there maybe I could move there or something. Just sick of Newcastle at the moment I know this topic isn't for everyone but would like to hear from other trades people "

Hiya mate, I'm a joiner insouth Manchester there's quite a bit of work about but there's not really much money in it, think everybodys had to be quite competitive. I've probably got about 8 months ahead of me but just working for a wage at the moment. There's a lot going on around Stockport, cheadle, and wilmslow.... Places like that

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

There's a £1.3 bn EPCC contract up for grabs over here on the Cumbrian coast (amongst other smaller contracts) we're still recruiting as are many of our contractors so maybe have a gander over this side of the country

over a year ago

I know it's very competitive here I'm a plasterer there's just to many been on week courses charging 60 a day I just couldn't compete with that I didn't see much point of it as you have petrol costs to cover also it's really desperate here

over a year ago

"There's a £1.3 bn EPCC contract up for grabs over here on the Cumbrian coast (amongst other smaller contracts) we're still recruiting as are many of our contractors so maybe have a gander over this side of the country "
stay at yours like lol what do you do hun

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

Nuclear industry...you wouldn't be able to afford my rental rates lol

over a year ago

"Nuclear industry...you wouldn't be able to afford my rental rates lol "
lol sure we could do done deal lol In a dream world eh lol

over a year ago

Scotland is not any better mate

over a year ago

"Scotland is not any better mate "
yeah I heard it's the same there as it is here . Wonder when it will pick up again

over a year ago

"I know it's very competitive here I'm a plasterer there's just to many been on week courses charging 60 a day I just couldn't compete with that I didn't see much point of it as you have petrol costs to cover also it's really desperate here "

Those one week corses should be banned!! It takes the piss when you got time served tradesmen out of work, got a plasterer mate there he's really busy an charges £150 a day so things are probably a little better down here. Good luck with it

over a year ago

"I know it's very competitive here I'm a plasterer there's just to many been on week courses charging 60 a day I just couldn't compete with that I didn't see much point of it as you have petrol costs to cover also it's really desperate here

Those one week corses should be banned!! It takes the piss when you got time served tradesmen out of work, got a plasterer mate there he's really busy an charges £150 a day so things are probably a little better down here. Good luck with it "

good in him mate wish I was as busy as I used to be

over a year ago

Building trade and even pvt work is knackered at the moment in the north east, I supply only and the only ppl that's busy are those buying the business, and making very low margin as I was once told profit is sanity turnover is vanity

over a year ago

"Building trade and even pvt work is knackered at the moment in the north east, I supply only and the only ppl that's busy are those buying the business, and making very low margin as I was once told profit is sanity turnover is vanity "
true Mate

over a year ago

"Building trade and even pvt work is knackered at the moment in the north east, I supply only and the only ppl that's busy are those buying the business, and making very low margin as I was once told profit is sanity turnover is vanity true Mate "
you should be ok living in the W/ Bay riviera lol

By *andm288Couple
over a year ago

oxford

It's not brilliant down south either !

Gave up 18 months ago and went on the cards earning a wage but not much more !

It always works in cycles of around 20-25 yrs hopefully will pick back up in the next couple of years then maybe go back on my own

Hope it picks up for you soon

M

over a year ago

For what the reps tell us the sth is booming, but there is no such thing as the north sth divide, whatever

over a year ago

"It's not brilliant down south either !

It always works in cycles of around 20-25 yrs hopefully will pick back up in the next couple of years then maybe go back on my own

M "

think we all have to be happy just doing that

over a year ago

"Building trade and even pvt work is knackered at the moment in the north east, I supply only and the only ppl that's busy are those buying the business, and making very low margin as I was once told profit is sanity turnover is vanity true Mate you should be ok living in the W/ Bay riviera lol"
seen the place now pubs shutting every week shops shutting everyday Nowt here now

over a year ago

M "

what do you do

over a year ago

Judging from the amount of applications we receive daily, there are plenty of construction workers looking for jobs in Manchester too.

over a year ago

"Judging from the amount of applications we receive daily, there are plenty of construction workers looking for jobs in Manchester too."
might start selling my body well saying that I can't even give it away just have to be patient and wait till it's picks up

By *andm288Couple
over a year ago

oxford

M what do you do"

Chippie by trade but had 5 guys working for me at one stage general building extensions private & commercial was going well untill August 2 yrs ago just dried up & even the guys I know that are still in the trade are being undercut left right & centre

But as past history always shows it will come good again I remember the days of £200 a day ! ( hope they come back soon lol )

M

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"There's a £1.3 bn EPCC contract up for grabs over here on the Cumbrian coast (amongst other smaller contracts) we're still recruiting as are many of our contractors so maybe have a gander over this side of the country "

Don't mention the ulterior motive.....

over a year ago

M what do you do

Chippie by trade but had 5 guys working for me at one stage general building extensions private & commercial was going well untill August 2 yrs ago just dried up & even the guys I know that are still in the trade are being undercut left right & centre

But as past history always shows it will come good again I remember the days of £200 a day ! ( hope they come back soon lol )

M"

i remember 150 aday now lucky to get 80

By *onestjohn1962Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

Aberdeen is booming - the wages are high but it's flippin' miles from anywhere!

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"Aberdeen is booming - the wages are high but it's flippin' miles from anywhere!"

and it is Aberdeen.....

By *lassic1Man
over a year ago

bellshill

Im in steel sector....sign on my office door says ERECTION MANAGER.

By *pecifically1Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"Im in steel sector....sign on my office door says ERECTION MANAGER. "

so do you manage other people's erections of just your own??

over a year ago

Until house builders start building in volume again it will be like this for a while, ask yourself why has prices dropped over the last cpl of years, and the answer is staring you in the eye, mass exodus from the building sites means more white van man driving down the prices

over a year ago

"Aberdeen is booming - the wages are high but it's flippin' miles from anywhere!"
booming yes but in what industry off shore I presume

By *lassic1Man
over a year ago

bellshill

"Im in steel sector....sign on my office door says ERECTION MANAGER.

so do you manage other people's erections of just your own?? "

My own erections tend to manage themselves but I am in demand for hands on demonstrations to likely clients

By *onestjohn1962Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Aberdeen is booming - the wages are high but it's flippin' miles from anywhere! booming yes but in what industry off shore I presume "

No I was not talking about offshore - they are building lots of houses, hotels and commercial buildings.

over a year ago

Was wondering if anyone has seen any sort of push regarding work coming in I've noticed this month is alot better than last month but still could be better

over a year ago

Well plumbers dont seem to want work here, been let down again. Even went through the rated site.

over a year ago

"Well plumbers dont seem to want work here, been let down again. Even went through the rated site. "
hmm that's strange like . Just go online and type plumbers in you area. Plumbers have to much money haha

over a year ago

Most of us builders/plasterers /tilers etc will not go through the rated site as its back to front.

The person who posts the job sets the budget which is 90 per cent of the time unrealistic and it costs the tradesman 20 quid just to go have a look along with 2 others!

Only one person making money out of that.

over a year ago

"Most of us builders/plasterers /tilers etc will not go through the rated site as its back to front.

The person who posts the job sets the budget which is 90 per cent of the time unrealistic and it costs the tradesman 20 quid just to go have a look along with 2 others!

Only one person making money out of that."

I agree I'm a Plasterer and have never even thought of going on sites Like that . I still use yellow pages and yell but thinking of stopping that . Best way is recommendations

over a year ago

It will get better, I have no doubt of that now.

The key has been funding, this is starting to free up more and more, it does take time for this to filter through, and we are not there yet, but it is happening.

Sadly the North/South divide does make for a much slower recovery in the North East.

over a year ago

Yeah the divide is must getting bigger all the time

over a year ago

"Was really just wondering is the building trade picking up in your area I'm from the north east and there isn't alot of work kicking about at the minute . I'm going to Manchester as I have work there and was thinking if there was much work there maybe I could move there or something. Just sick of Newcastle at the moment I know this topic isn't for everyone but would like to hear from other trades people "

I know people in the building trade up here. It has slowed down but there is plenty of work still out there. Hopefully it might pick up a bit more on the new builds soon aswell with the new loan/mortgage budget thing

over a year ago

Bedfordshire still slow have to travel for work, but still working, money not what it was. But keeping head just above water. (Sparky)

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

there are lots of building in blackpool

over a year ago

"Bedfordshire still slow have to travel for work, but still working, money not what it was. But keeping head just above water. (Sparky) "
same here but what's the main problem is to many people doing one week plastering courses. I went to college got my nvqs then you see people Been on weeks courses charging 60 pound a day it's really making the trade a mockery

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

" Plumbers have to much money haha "

Wish we bloody well did

It's still a cut throat business whichever trade your in

over a year ago

" Plumbers have to much money haha

Wish we bloody well did