Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Salems Lot

Jump to newest

By *asycouple1971 OP   Couple
2 days ago

midlands

Another remake coming out.

Can't beat the original but will give this a watch.

Another else likes scary films and which is your favourite?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *avexxMan
2 days ago

cheshire

was david soul in original one

By *r John WickMan
2 days ago

The Continental

Never saw the original, but I do like the book. I’ll look forward to the new movie.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
2 days ago

Cheshire

I believe another version of ‘The Stand’ is due to be made or has been done.

My favourite horror is anything Sci Fi like Event Horizon, Alien etc…

By *ceKweenWoman
2 days ago

Bolton

Salems lot, the stand… my favourite kind of horror 👍

By *ave biMan
2 days ago

rugby

It’s supposed to be a horror comedy 😬not sure I like that . I’ll stick with the Tobe Hooper version

By *zeroMan
2 days ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

Never seen the film but really liked the book. I see this new version described as a horror comedy which I'm not sure would work. Might give it a watch.

By *inaTitzTV/TS
2 days ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

It's a great book.

I like watching Dog Soldiers. That's got a great mix of horror, action and comedy

By *aven.Woman
2 days ago

Not the North West...

I don't think I've seen the original.

I love horror films, even though I scare myself sometimes.

By *avexxMan
2 days ago

cheshire

"It's a great book.

I like watching Dog Soldiers. That's got a great mix of horror, action and comedy "

.. i agree dog soldiers great movie

By *utdoorAdventurersCouple
2 days ago

Heathfield

I watched the original when I was about 10. It scared me so much I still can't sleep with the curtains open.

Mr

By *agatoXXXMan
2 days ago

A Place Where Time Runs Slow

Before I've seen the 2024 version, my problem with it is length. The book is 768 pages, the new movie is 113 minutes. The 1979 miniseries runs for 183 minutes, which means a lot of story is getting ditched. The makeup and FX might be better, but will that be enough to offset missing plot and dialogue? Mmm.

By *avexxMan
2 days ago

cheshire

"I watched the original when I was about 10. It scared me so much I still can't sleep with the curtains open.

Mr"

... it scared me and i was 19

By *rbojangles99Man
2 days ago

Bristol

"Before I've seen the 2024 version, my problem with it is length. The book is 768 pages, the new movie is 113 minutes. The 1979 miniseries runs for 183 minutes, which means a lot of story is getting ditched. The makeup and FX might be better, but will that be enough to offset missing plot and dialogue? Mmm. "

Exactly that. Some of the best parts of a Stephen King are all the small town chit-chat and slow build. Inevitable that’ll have been cut. A real shame.

By *n at the DeeP endCouple
2 days ago

Manchester

Most horror remakes are complete and utter dogshit. Some are decent. May not be as good as the original or share the same atmosphere but still ok.

Dawn of the dead is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was good. Romero's version was better but the remake was good in it's own right.

Mr

By *rbojangles99Man
2 days ago

Bristol

"Most horror remakes are complete and utter dogshit. Some are decent. May not be as good as the original or share the same atmosphere but still ok.

Dawn of the dead is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that was good. Romero's version was better but the remake was good in it's own right.

Mr"

Completely agree. It lost the politics but gained a dose of visceral splatter & a killer opening 10 minutes.

I’m a big fan of the ‘Hills have Eyes’ remake.

2 days ago

Manchester

"I’m a big fan of the ‘Hills have Eyes’ remake. "

Forgot about that one, good remake. Maybe The Crazies. Enjoyed it at the time.

By *issmorganWoman
2 days ago

Calderdale innit

Yes, I love a good horror!

I like the original evil dead and my fav more modern ones are the exorcism of Emily Rose and insidious.

I also really liked the black phone that was out a couple of years ago.

By *or-QueeningMan
2 days ago

Manchester

The original Salem's Lot mini-series adaptation is really good (even has James Mason in the cast).

There are some good remakes - John Carpenter's The Thing, the 1970s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers for example are both better than the originals. So there is hope. The problem with remakes is why they are doing it - if it's because they've thought of a fresh new angle, or because there were flaws in the original that can be improved on, then fine. But a lot of the time remakes seem to get made because they guarantee an audience while a new drama is a risk. So the remakes are bad because they're pointless and made for the wrong reasons.

2 days ago

Manchester

Evil dead was a great example of a shitty and pointless remake

By *agatoXXXMan
2 days ago

"The original Salem's Lot mini-series adaptation is really good (even has James Mason in the cast).

There are some good remakes - John Carpenter's The Thing, the 1970s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers for example are both better than the originals. So there is hope. The problem with remakes is why they are doing it - if it's because they've thought of a fresh new angle, or because there were flaws in the original that can be improved on, then fine. But a lot of the time remakes seem to get made because they guarantee an audience while a new drama is a risk. So the remakes are bad because they're pointless and made for the wrong reasons."

All the above explains a lot of this below. This an Marvel/DC crap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cj6er83ene6o

By *T SwingersCouple
2 days ago

Brazil

IT with Tim Curry was decent too.

It seems hard to find a decent horror film these days. I think The Ring was the last one I truly enjoyed.

My teen years were in the late 70s/early 80s when we had things like The Omen, Halloween, Friday The 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street etc.

As a child though I would stay up late and watch Hammer Horror films with my parents that were able to build up dread with just music and without all the slasher stuff.

By *T SwingersCouple
2 days ago

Brazil

Getting back on topic, I thought the vampire in Salem's Lot was one of the scariest alongside Nosferatu.

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS
2 days ago

Glasgow

"was david soul in original one "

Yes. But he needed a silver bullet in that role not a silver lady.

For those old enough to get my meaning

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS
2 days ago

Glasgow

"Getting back on topic, I thought the vampire in Salem's Lot was one of the scariest alongside Nosferatu."

Agree

2 days ago

Manchester

"I think The Ring was the last one I truly enjoyed."

Going back off topic (sorry) I was disappointed with The Ring remake. The Japanese version absolutely fcuking terrified me. When she crawled out of the TV, poo nearly came out.

By *T SwingersCouple
2 days ago

Brazil

"I think The Ring was the last one I truly enjoyed.

Going back off topic (sorry) I was disappointed with The Ring remake. The Japanese version absolutely fcuking terrified me. When she crawled out of the TV, poo nearly came out."

Yeah I get it's not that great but on first viewing the almost subliminal image of the schoolgirl and her deformed face flopping forward actually had me dreading what was next. As it happened the rest was disappointing but I can't think of another film that gave me that feeling of dread.

By *8on33Man
2 days ago

winfrith

I don't enjoy horror not my thing .

By *rbojangles99Man
2 days ago

Bristol

Forgot about the Crazies remake - so much fun!

And agreed, the Ring is an excellent horror remake. Such a palpable sense of dread.

By *ot really famousMan
2 days ago

monaghan

"Salems lot, the stand… my favourite kind of horror 👍"
...my two favourite books of all time...I didn't (and wouldn't) watch the movies...I imagine they would be a huge disappointment...

By *agatoXXXMan
2 days ago

"Salems lot, the stand… my favourite kind of horror 👍...my two favourite books of all time...I didn't (and wouldn't) watch the movies...I imagine they would be a huge disappointment..."

I'm not a fan of The Stand, I think it's too convoluted, but the 1979 Salem's Lot IS very good, for it's age, and despite being made for TV. Maybe a digital remaster would be good.

By *rightonsteveMan
2 days ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I liked the beginning and middle of the book of The Stand, the whole Captain Trios and gradual descent into chaos but not the end. Film was a bit ‘meh’.

The pig was called Jerusalem and over the years the pigpen became the township of Salem’s Lot. Again, very gradual turning of the intensity screw. Film was pretty good for when it was made.

By *aptain Caveman41Man
2 days ago

Home

Scary fucking film the original one

2 days ago

midlands

Original scared the shit out of me.

New remake being a 15 might be worth a watch in the cinema.

By *agatoXXXMan
2 days ago

"Original scared the shit out of me.

"

It's streaming only, on Max.

2 days ago

midlands

It's streaming only, on Max."

Really? Fucking hell.

By *agatoXXXMan
2 days ago

Really? Fucking hell."

Yup. Warners effed about for two years,delaying release, and then decided to stick it on streaming. Turds.

By *rbojangles99Man
2 days ago

Bristol

Really? Fucking hell.

Yup. Warners effed about for two years,delaying release, and then decided to stick it on streaming. Turds."

I think there’s a good chance it might in fact be dreadful. Some stinky early reviews.

By *wiss Army KnifeMan
2 days ago

Second star to the right…

"Most horror remakes are complete and utter dogshit. Some are decent. May not be as good as the original or share the same atmosphere but still ok.

Mr"

I agree loved the campy original but the remake was savage.

I think the remake of Evil Dead was pretty good

By *agatoXXXMan
14 hours ago

Here's the trailer for the Vampyre remake I really want to see:https://youtu.be/nulvWqYUM8k

By *ainyDaySunshineMan
13 hours ago

Ayrshire

Coronation Street scares the sh#t right out me.

I'm amazed Ken Barlow hasn't turned into a Vampire. His neck looks like a Vagina

Post new Message to Thread