Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Can you change your mindset?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

From the land of haribos.

I was listening to something interesting about it and that was whether one can change their mindset or not, they gave an example about ones job.

You could stay in your job, so if you are someone who sits there going I have to work 12hrs a day to make this money, then that is the reality that you are going to create for yourself.

But if you can change your mindset to be someone who truly 100% can believe that they can earn the same amount of money doing half the amount of hours that they can get that promotion because they deserve it, because they are amazing, they added that this change is really about feeding your subconscious with the most positive affirmations rather than constant telling yourself . I am no good, this is the life I got, so to change, the first part is to change what is going on up there, the brain, which of course is not easy and will take some time to do.

What is your view about it and can you change your mindset, or do you find it hard to do? I would say that I can change mine, but it takes some time, because one have to actually be open to changing stuff, otherwise nothing ever going to happen, because of the indoctrination, so the reprogram one have to do is to change from I cant to I can

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *atboynogymMan
3 days ago

kettering

If you never listen to anyone else’s opinion you will be a dumb ass forever

By *ealitybitesMan
3 days ago

Belfast

I changed my mindset completely 10 years ago in a non job related situation and in a job related situation about 5 years ago.

Neither of those decisions had anything to do with money.

The second one didn't work out as planned but as they say that first step is the hardest and I then knew I was capable of taking it.

Covid lockdowns had further impact on my mindset so I'm now earning just over half of what I was 5 years ago but in a much less stressful role and I can accept that with no regret.

By *het 345Man
3 days ago

Preston

I think it depends on the individual. To answer the question: Yes absolutely, but not everyone is able/willing to.

By *iker JackMan
3 days ago

Wolverhampton

In short for me yes you can

A slightly longer answer is that things are constantly changing and evolving sometimes forwards and some may say backwards in certain things

You have to be able to be open to change or a change of mindset or to be stoic and keep to your view point

Now genetic blue printing is a whole different conversation

By *arla SwingerWoman
3 days ago

Somewhere

I'd stayed in a bit of a rut/comfort zone job wise for years. Never felt I had the confidence to step outside it, or push myself forwards. However, 3/4yrs ago I thought sod this! And I've had several interviews/couple of job changes since, and not looked back.

By *ellhungvweMan
3 days ago

Cheltenham

You can see it playing out on here every day - people who have poor profiles, bad pictures or awful messaging abilities get frustrated they don’t get meets. They carry on doing the same thing everyday wondering why the outcome is always the same. Occasionally someone realises there is a different way. They change the way they think about the problem and that opens up new avenues. They start to get meets.

It is rare that people really change their behaviour but it is possible.

By *nickeringWoman
3 days ago

Coleshill

You can! but you have to do it objectively and you have to put the work in.

I was struggling with something and couldnt understand why it was always happening, but someone who's opinion i value, pointed out to me patterns of behaviour. We all have them, its about identifying and consciously making an effort to change them. Yep its hard work and i still have to stop myself sometimes as the old patterns are just natural and subconcious.

Great metaphor - you walk down the garden to the shed every day to get something out. You subconsciously follow that path to the shed. Suddenly there is a hazard on that path and you cannot use it and have to find an alternative way. So you start a new path, you have to think about that path, sometimes you find yourself on the start of the old path and physically have to stop and think about where you want to go and get back to the old path. Eventually the new path becomes your normal, old path and you now dont have to think ........... changed the pattern

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

"If you never listen to anyone else’s opinion you will be a dumb ass forever "
Yes, that too .

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

"I changed my mindset completely 10 years ago in a non job related situation and in a job related situation about 5 years ago.

Neither of those decisions had anything to do with money.

The second one didn't work out as planned but as they say that first step is the hardest and I then knew I was capable of taking it.

Covid lockdowns had further impact on my mindset so I'm now earning just over half of what I was 5 years ago but in a much less stressful role and I can accept that with no regret. "

That is good you changed yours too

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

"I'd stayed in a bit of a rut/comfort zone job wise for years. Never felt I had the confidence to step outside it, or push myself forwards. However, 3/4yrs ago I thought sod this! And I've had several interviews/couple of job changes since, and not looked back.

"

Hi marla, that is good change and how you didnt look back on it

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

"In short for me yes you can

A slightly longer answer is that things are constantly changing and evolving sometimes forwards and some may say backwards in certain things

You have to be able to be open to change or a change of mindset or to be stoic and keep to your view point

Now genetic blue printing is a whole different conversation "

Yes, things are constantly changing too

By *mf123Man
3 days ago

with one foot out the door

[Removed by poster at 16/09/24 12:11:11]

By *mf123Man
3 days ago

with one foot out the door

If you change the way you think completely are you you or are you someone else hmmm hmmm hmmm

By *uriousscouserWoman
3 days ago

Wirral

It's an interesting question. I'm not sure the example given about the job is really about mindset though.

If I wanted to double my salary I would look at jobs that paid the range I'm looking for, compare the role requirements to my experience and see where the gaps are.

I could then volunteer for projects that fill those gaps, figure out ways to highlight those skills etc so I'd have the required experience when I applied for those jobs.

I'm a big believer that if you don't like something in your life it's up to you to change it, but I'm not sure any amount of wishing and believing will have the same impact as executing a well-thought-through plan.

That said, I have seen the opposite in action: someone with all the right knowledge and experience convince themselves that they can't possibly get a better job so they never take the chance to apply and sit miserable in their existing role for years. Mindset clearly matters, I'm just not sure it's enough on its own.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
3 days ago

Central

We change our mindset, our beliefs etc all the time but work hard to maintain the status quo. We have the ability to do both and usually maintenance is a very powerful driver for us

By *hagTonight OP   Man
3 days ago

"You can! but you have to do it objectively and you have to put the work in.

I was struggling with something and couldnt understand why it was always happening, but someone who's opinion i value, pointed out to me patterns of behaviour. We all have them, its about identifying and consciously making an effort to change them. Yep its hard work and i still have to stop myself sometimes as the old patterns are just natural and subconcious.

Great metaphor - you walk down the garden to the shed every day to get something out. You subconsciously follow that path to the shed. Suddenly there is a hazard on that path and you cannot use it and have to find an alternative way. So you start a new path, you have to think about that path, sometimes you find yourself on the start of the old path and physically have to stop and think about where you want to go and get back to the old path. Eventually the new path becomes your normal, old path and you now dont have to think ........... changed the pattern "

Hi _nickering, yes, you are right there, you have to do it objectively too. I see, so you have to stop yourself sometimes, that is a great metaphor as well

By *he HandiemanMan
3 days ago

north west

Yes.. I’ve done this, I was going through the worst thing I’ve ever experienced in my life and it took its toll on my mental health very badly and nearly cost me my life but long story short I had a realisation that I needed help and I went into some cbt (cognitive behavioural therapy) which woke something up inside me and I ended up with 8 diplomas in mental health, cbt, phycology etc and about 20 other qualifications all around mental health and the brain/mind. The knowledge I gained from that has changed my mindset completely. It is not easy to do but it is more than worth the effort

By *hagTonight OP   Man
2 days ago

"I think it depends on the individual. To answer the question: Yes absolutely, but not everyone is able/willing to."
Yes, it depends on the individual too

By *oubleswing2019Man
2 days ago

Colchester

Yes you can.

And I have found it liberating in following your own destiny, and not the expectations of others. Do what thou wilt.

By *he turned me GreyCouple
2 days ago

Warwick and Coventry

"

It is rare that people really change their behaviour but it is possible."

Change of behaviour is not rare, what's rare is people acknowledging that there is a problem with their behaviour in the first place. Since a change in a behaviour, starts with a change of mindset.

Mr

Post new Message to Thread