Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Puregym

Jump to newest

By *igbopper1 OP   Man
1 week ago

Gloucester

Im thinking of going back to the gym after along hiatus. There is a puregym close to me at a very a very resonable monthly fee.

Does anyone have any good/bad experiances with this chain?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *acey_RedWoman
1 week ago

Liverpool

I liked the one I used. Basic but had everything I need

By *r John WickMan
1 week ago

The Continental

They’ve got all the gear you need.

They’re quiet during off peak hours

Cheap enough

By *eordieJeansCouple
1 week ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

They’re good enough for beginner/intermediate lifters. They have everything you need until you max out the dumbbells.

By *hyguy9iMan
1 week ago

Merthyr Tydfil

I go to the one near me and had plenty good days as well as bad. Mostly due to teens circling one machine not allowing enough room for others but the workers and other gym members help and keep to them selves.

I forgot to add that sometimes it can be overcrowded but the app shows how many are at the gym at that.

By *eordieJeansCouple
1 week ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Plenty of free classes and they’re easy to book on the app.

By *ongAndThick123Man
1 week ago

Leeds

"Im thinking of going back to the gym after along hiatus. There is a puregym close to me at a very a very resonable monthly fee.

Does anyone have any good/bad experiances with this chain?"

Depends what you want and need. Based on my experience, the equipment is ok. Facilities and maintenance of the building and fittings is quite bad. Changing rooms awful and cramped.

Showers likewise. And extremely busy to the point of it being quite stressful to visit.

I cancelled my membership after just one month and signed up to a more expensive, but less busy, gym.

By *zeroMan
1 week ago

Glasgow

They are fine but one thing that annoyed me was the squat rack and deadlift platforms always either had a que or someone using them in every Pure I went to.

I use JD Gym now and they have multiple ones so I never really have to wait.

By *acey_RedWoman
1 week ago

Liverpool

"Im thinking of going back to the gym after along hiatus. There is a puregym close to me at a very a very resonable monthly fee.

Depends what you want and need. Based on my experience, the equipment is ok. Facilities and maintenance of the building and fittings is quite bad. Changing rooms awful and cramped.

Showers likewise. And extremely busy to the point of it being quite stressful to visit.

I cancelled my membership after just one month and signed up to a more expensive, but less busy, gym.

"

Must depend where you go. Our changing rooms are always dead. Ours are upstairs but there's separate lockers downstairs along the walls so people who arrive and leave in their gym gear generally just use those. I've never been in the changing rooms with more than like 2 or 3 people and I'm usually in there on my own. Nearly every time I've showered there I've been the only one in there despite their being 8 showers.

By *igbopper1 OP   Man
1 week ago

Gloucester

I must admit I do like the fact it's open 24hrs a day.. The only thing that puts me off is the fact it can get overcrowded.

Maybe buying a day pass is the way forward.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman
1 week ago

Next Door

Get a free 3 day pass and see if it suits your needs.

Puregym, we're doing no joining fee and 1st month half price.

By *elix SightedMan
1 week ago

Cloud 8

Seems like it depends on the branch and that’s certainly my experience. Some are well laid out, clean, well-equipped and not over crowded; others only some of the above.

My last experience before moving house was that some machines were surrounded by 28 irritating, noisy little turds. I was also regularly turfed off machines so they could run a class which annoyed me.

By *ongAndThick123Man
1 week ago

Leeds

Must depend where you go. Our changing rooms are always dead. Ours are upstairs but there's separate lockers downstairs along the walls so people who arrive and leave in their gym gear generally just use those. I've never been in the changing rooms with more than like 2 or 3 people and I'm usually in there on my own. Nearly every time I've showered there I've been the only one in there despite their being 8 showers."

Yeah it must depend. Mine only has 4 showers (which are permanently cold) and the changing room is basically a long corridor where one wall is lockers and the other wall is urinals. It stinks, as you can imagine.

I bet there are loads of much better ones. Maybe I just got unlucky

By *oeBeansMan
1 week ago

Derby

I've never been signed up to a PureGym but can imagine it's like any affordable chain gym with variances on the experience depending on the one you go to. It'll have all the equipment you need but as it's cheap, it'll be rammed during peak hours where you may find yourself having to wait for the equipment you want to use.

I signed up to JD Gyms and that was my experience and now go to one that's more expensive but worth it for the trade off of it not being overly busy.

By *r John WickMan
1 week ago

The Continental

I’m lucky that I choose to train at strange hours, so it’s like a ghost town when I’m in. I have run of the place.

By *oeBeansMan
1 week ago

Derby

"I’m lucky that I choose to train at strange hours, so it’s like a ghost town when I’m in. I have run of the place. "

You could superset bench with calf raises and no one would say anything!

By *ira2024Woman
1 week ago

South West

They are opened 24/7 which is a big plus.

By *rispyDuckMan
1 week ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

1) Would say: if you’re just the average gym goer 2-3 times a week, for a light mostly cardio based easy workout 🏋️‍♀️ then it’s the gym for you.

2) If you want to built some muscle, dedicated but on a strict budget and working shift then: it will do to start with

3) if you’re a fitness enthusiast & more into building muscle more than cardio (Then look elsewhere 🚨this is not the gym for you)

By *acey_RedWoman
1 week ago

Liverpool

Must depend where you go. Our changing rooms are always dead. Ours are upstairs but there's separate lockers downstairs along the walls so people who arrive and leave in their gym gear generally just use those. I've never been in the changing rooms with more than like 2 or 3 people and I'm usually in there on my own. Nearly every time I've showered there I've been the only one in there despite their being 8 showers.

Yeah it must depend. Mine only has 4 showers (which are permanently cold) and the changing room is basically a long corridor where one wall is lockers and the other wall is urinals. It stinks, as you can imagine.

I bet there are loads of much better ones. Maybe I just got unlucky "

Yeah that sounds grim. Sorry to hear that.

By *ineapple_turnoverCouple
1 week ago

London

I go to one which is relatively new so in very good condition, very clean and a really good selection of equipment. I like the hours and the price.

The only downsides are it gets very busy at peak times - but tends to be full of men on the weights more than the cardio so is actually better for that. Some of the equipment is not up to the standard of expensive gyms - this only really matters if you're using the treadmills and similar. They still work fine but don't have all the different settings etc, no TVs visible that kind of thing

By *irthandgirthMan
1 week ago

Camberley occasionally doncaster

I use the one near me. It's cheap, and has enough in it to get a decent workout. There are some bits of equipment I would love, but I make do. It also has 24 hour access which is good as I'm in before 6am most days.

By *amantha_JadeWoman
1 week ago

Newcastle

I’ve been to a few Pure Gyms and found that each one smelled really bad 🥴 They are however very low priced and obviously convenient, being open 24hours. Personally, I prefer Xercise4less.

By *iss_D_returnsWoman
1 week ago

dreamland

I'm not a massive fan of them, as a slightly older, curvier, powerlifter. I didn't find it the most welcoming of gyms. It depends what you are looking to do though I guess..

By *929Man
1 week ago

newcastle

Depends what you want from a gym, if you get serious about it then going to a gym that usually has one squat/power rack (our gym has 10) will become old really fast. Ideal if just casual though

By *he Silver FuxMan
1 week ago

Uttoxeter

"I’ve been to a few Pure Gyms and found that each one smelled really bad 🥴 They are however very low priced and obviously convenient, being open 24hours. Personally, I prefer Xercise4less."

I also choose Xerciseless

By *egDaySkipperMan
1 week ago

Liverpool

Can't say a bad word about my local pure gym, only quit because I lost motivation going.

So just like you I'm starting to go again

AnytimeFitness can go suck a fat dick though

By *ong alMan
1 week ago

barnsley

I've had lots of bad experiences at PureGyms ,,, I worked on the installation of most of them around the country

By *igbopper1 OP   Man
1 week ago

Gloucester

Well I got a day pass and as mentioned before by a poster, the cardio equipment was hardly utilised.

From my treadmill "perch" it gave me the opportunity to people watch.

One thing I did notice was the amount of people on their phones, doing no exercise.

The plus side is, when I plan to go it only looks 20-30 people use the gym.

By *eordieJeansCouple
1 week ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

"I’ve been to a few Pure Gyms and found that each one smelled really bad 🥴 They are however very low priced and obviously convenient, being open 24hours. Personally, I prefer Xercise4less.

I also choose Xerciseless"

I didn’t think Xercise4less existed anymore.

By *olfandtazCouple
1 week ago

Bristol

They have all the equipment you will need.

Reasonably priced, especially if you take the classes and make the most out of your membership fee

By *amantha_JadeWoman
1 week ago

Newcastle

"I’ve been to a few Pure Gyms and found that each one smelled really bad 🥴 They are however very low priced and obviously convenient, being open 24hours. Personally, I prefer Xercise4less.

I didn’t think Xercise4less existed anymore."

I think a lot of them became JD Sports gyms. I have a home gym now so I’m not up to date lol

By *eordieJeansCouple
1 week ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I didn’t think Xercise4less existed anymore.

I think a lot of them became JD Sports gyms. I have a home gym now so I’m not up to date lol "

Both of them up our way became JD. I assumed all of them did.

By *midnight-Woman
1 week ago

Very cheap, 24 hour access... Classes at mine were good (packed) but often oversubscribed. Everything felt cheap, but it was clean

They turned off the aircon when utilities increased which made it insanely hot

I rarely got to use the machines due to the large flocks of teens surrounding every machine...and loads of teens 'smuggled' their mates in so it was like being at a school most of the time

Staff didn't interact at all

Cancelled after a while and joined a more expensive gym

By *igbopper1 OP   Man
3 days ago

Gloucester

I took the plunge and got the full membership.

So far so good, go off peak so plenty of choice of activity and classes.

Like alot of the posts "it says what it does on the tin".

By *eah669Woman
3 days ago

Nottinghamshire

Yes .. bloody app not working to join.. I had to physically go in to my local pure gym and join .. then still had to join via a phone call .. but enjoying the gym.

By *rownhotnessMan
3 days ago

Cheshire/London/Midlands

I went to the gym group instead but puregym has most the equipment you need

By *nt0001Man
3 days ago

london

I go in the morning before work at my local puregym. It’s not crowded and can go in get my workout done without having to wait for the equipment. There’s a good variety of machines and free weights too.

It’s a complete different crowd to what you get after work and I avoid that time like the plague

By *ophieslutTV/TS
3 days ago

Central

I'd go take a look at it several times, at the times you're likely to be using it, before deciding.

And also look for free use passes - gyms often have a few days of free trial passes on offer.

Post new Message to Thread