Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Paula Radcliffe

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Tom is always wary of smiley people but Paula Radcliffe, a very good runner and medalist, is backpedaling on comments she made about a Dutch athlete. Is this Media PR at its worst?

She stated her opinion. Why does she have to retract. It's all over the news. Tom not sure on this one

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *idssissyTV/TS
10 weeks ago

Birmingham

Surely as someone else said online the bigger issue is why is the convicted offender allowed to compete rather than her comments

By *inky_couple2020Couple
10 weeks ago

North West

Why don't you report more about the Dutch athlete and what Ms. Radcliffe actually said about him not being punished twice.

By *allipygousMan
10 weeks ago

Leicester

I'm speaking as a father of 5 and a grandfather of 3 and find what he did reprehensible, but, he committed his crime 10 years ago, was convicted and did time. Granted it wasn't much but he did his time all the same.

For what reason can he be excluded from the Olympics? Moral outrage? He did his time. At what stage do people, who as far as we know, are not repeat offenders allowed to get on with their lives?

By (user no longer on site)
10 weeks ago

We all know certain crimes don't get correct punishment. Sod the time served in those cases. Public opinion and attitude towards the criminals is the only way to punish them. If that is to remind them constantly of what they done, then so be it.

No one should be sorry for hating on murderers, rapists and pedos.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"We all know certain crimes don't get correct punishment. Sod the time served in those cases. Public opinion and attitude towards the criminals is the only way to punish them. If that is to remind them constantly of what they done, then so be it.

No one should be sorry for hating on murderers, rapists and pedos."

But should they be allowed to compete. Paula said yes and now it's no

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"We all know certain crimes don't get correct punishment. Sod the time served in those cases. Public opinion and attitude towards the criminals is the only way to punish them. If that is to remind them constantly of what they done, then so be it.

No one should be sorry for hating on murderers, rapists and pedos."

So they should be punished twice ?

By *929Man
10 weeks ago

newcastle

Someone who ra-ped a 12 year old lassie shouldn’t be allowed to breathe let alone compete at the Olympics.

10 weeks ago

But should they be allowed to compete. Paula said yes and now it's no"

No they shouldn't be allowed to take part in any aspect of society again.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

"Someone who ra-ped a 12 year old lassie shouldn’t be allowed to breathe let alone compete at the Olympics. "

Should that be included in the court sentence?

10 weeks ago

So they should be punished twice ?"

Twice? no.

Constantly until the day they die, yes.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Twice? no.

Constantly until the day they die, yes."

If he was prone and handcuffed behind his back by police would it be acceptable for an officer to kick him in the head?

By *hristopherd999Man
10 weeks ago

Brentwood

Twice? no.

If he was prone and handcuffed behind his back by police would it be acceptable for an officer to kick him in the head?"

Depends what he did

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Twice? no.

If he was prone and handcuffed behind his back by police would it be acceptable for an officer to kick him in the head?

Depends what he did"

A civilised society ,,?

10 weeks ago

Twice? no.

If he was prone and handcuffed behind his back by police would it be acceptable for an officer to kick him in the head?"

If he tries to move, and has been arrested for assaulting a police officer. yes.

By *og-ManMan
10 weeks ago

somewhere

He shouldn't be allowed take the place of someone else at the Olympics

Imagine how the child feels looking at the Olympics and that's all that matters

I say that knowing she's an adult now

He's scum

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Twice? no.

If he tries to move, and has been arrested for assaulting a police officer. yes."

Interesting. Hope you ever arrested and cuffed

By *lue NotebooksCouple
10 weeks ago

Wirral

"I'm speaking as a father of 5 and a grandfather of 3 and find what he did reprehensible, but, he committed his crime 10 years ago, was convicted and did time. Granted it wasn't much but he did his time all the same.

For what reason can he be excluded from the Olympics? Moral outrage? He did his time. At what stage do people, who as far as we know, are not repeat offenders allowed to get on with their lives? "

Are you for real? People who commit such crimes never change, they’re fucked in the head, and a danger to society. How about we start thinking about the victims and the impacts of the crimes on their lives. Fuck the rapist piece of shit, of course they don’t deserve to represent their country, that is a privilege

Fucks sake, genuinely flabbergasted at some people. And as for Paula Radcliffe, I used to be a big fan but now I know what sort of opinions she has, no more

By *allipygousMan
10 weeks ago

Leicester

"I'm speaking as a father of 5 and a grandfather of 3 and find what he did reprehensible, but, he committed his crime 10 years ago, was convicted and did time. Granted it wasn't much but he did his time all the same.

For what reason can he be excluded from the Olympics? Moral outrage? He did his time. At what stage do people, who as far as we know, are not repeat offenders allowed to get on with their lives?

Are you for real? People who commit such crimes never change, they’re fucked in the head, and a danger to society. How about we start thinking about the victims and the impacts of the crimes on their lives. Fuck the rapist piece of shit, of course they don’t deserve to represent their country, that is a privilege

Fucks sake, genuinely flabbergasted at some people. And as for Paula Radcliffe, I used to be a big fan but now I know what sort of opinions she has, no more"

Thanks for your heartfelt input.

By *oo..Woman
10 weeks ago

Boo's World

For what reason can he be excluded from the Olympics? Moral outrage? He did his time. At what stage do people, who as far as we know, are not repeat offenders allowed to get on with their lives? "

He didn't "do his time" at all. He served 1 year!

No where near his full sentence and that "child" deserved more than that.

I'm sure she hasn't just got on with her life in the way she should have, but funnily enough he has and is now married with a small child.

How's that fair?

By *lue NotebooksCouple
10 weeks ago

Wirral

Fucks sake, genuinely flabbergasted at some people. And as for Paula Radcliffe, I used to be a big fan but now I know what sort of opinions she has, no more

Thanks for your heartfelt input."

I hope I communicated somewhat how damaging these crimes can be, and I know some people struggle with empathy. But of course my natural emotion is anger when people don’t seem to take this violence seriously

By *929Man
10 weeks ago

newcastle

Fucks sake, genuinely flabbergasted at some people. And as for Paula Radcliffe, I used to be a big fan but now I know what sort of opinions she has, no more"

Well said. Any form of peadophile activity where it is 100% that the person is guilty should be punishable by death, no reason for the sick fucks to continue to exist

By *allipygousMan
10 weeks ago

Leicester

I'm sure she hasn't just got on with her life in the way she should have, but funnily enough he has and is now married with a small child.

How's that fair?

"

I know he only did a year, that's why I said "...it wasn't much..." but, and I'm only playing devil's advocate here, have you seen the transcript of the trial? Why did he only get 4 years? He was 19 at the time. Should this really follow him for the rest of his life?

By *allipygousMan
10 weeks ago

Leicester

Thanks for your heartfelt input.

I hope I communicated somewhat how damaging these crimes can be, and I know some people struggle with empathy. But of course my natural emotion is anger when people don’t seem to take this violence seriously "

I can assure you I do take this violence seriously, absolutely I do. However, he's not a repeat offender (as far as we know) he was 19 years of age. We do not know the full circumstances.

By *lue NotebooksCouple
10 weeks ago

Wirral

How's that fair?

I know he only did a year, that's why I said "...it wasn't much..." but, and I'm only playing devil's advocate here, have you seen the transcript of the trial? Why did he only get 4 years? He was 19 at the time. Should this really follow him for the rest of his life?"

Erm yes it absolutely should follow him for the rest of his life, because it may well follow the victim for the rest of hers. I’m not advocating the death penalty or saying offenders shouldn’t be able to work. But represent your country at the olympics, absolutely not. Sportspeople are role models for so many, and allowing him to compete communicates that what he did was not serious

By *oo..Woman
10 weeks ago

Boo's World

How's that fair?

I know he only did a year, that's why I said "...it wasn't much..." but, and I'm only playing devil's advocate here, have you seen the transcript of the trial? Why did he only get 4 years? He was 19 at the time. Should this really follow him for the rest of his life?"

Yes, it should follow him for life like it is to the now "woman" he r@ped!

Can you imagine what it's doing to her now it's all over the news again?

He flew to the UK to meet a child and was fully aware of her age, he knew exactly what he was doing.

His trial wasn't held here in the UK and he went to a Dutch prison.

So there justice system is clearly as fucked up as he is.

By *lue NotebooksCouple
10 weeks ago

Wirral

Sicknens me how some people are so quick to defend sex offenders.

10 weeks ago

So they should be punished twice ?"

Perhaps it’s double Dutch

By *allipygousMan
10 weeks ago

Leicester

How's that fair?

I know he only did a year, that's why I said "...it wasn't much..." but, and I'm only playing devil's advocate here, have you seen the transcript of the trial? Why did he only get 4 years? He was 19 at the time. Should this really follow him for the rest of his life?

He flew to the UK to meet a child and was fully aware of her age, he knew exactly what he was doing.

"

We call it r@pe, in the US it would be called statutory r@pe. You're making it sound as if he dragged some poor girl off the street and r@ped her. From what I can gather it wasn't like that and that's probably why he only got 4 years (UK sentence btw, not a Dutch one) but as I said, you nor I have looked at the trial transcript so we don't know the full story. Things are rarely black and white.

And that is all I have to say on the matter.

By *lue NotebooksCouple
10 weeks ago

Wirral

How's that fair?

We call it r@pe, in the US it would be called statutory r@pe. You're making it sound as if he dragged some poor girl off the street and r@ped her. From what I can gather it wasn't like that and that's probably why he only got 4 years (UK sentence btw, not a Dutch one) but as I said, you nor I have looked at the trial transcript so we don't know the full story. Things are rarely black and white.

And that is all I have to say on the matter. "

She was 12 years old. Don’t need to know any more tbh

10 weeks ago

North West

How's that fair?

It's very straightforward to read about the situation. He booked flight tickets from the Netherlands to the UK with the express intention of having sex with a person he knew to be aged 12. A 12yo cannot give consent, it is and was statutory r@pe.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cx721j6n6w3o

By *londebiguyMan
10 weeks ago

Southport

But should they be allowed to compete. Paula said yes and now it's no

No they shouldn't be allowed to take part in any aspect of society again."

What was the putpose to the trial, sentencing and them serving that sentence then?

Surely they would just either keep them locked up or decide to finish thrm if that was the case.

Serving a sentence does not mean anything by your argument.

By *londebiguyMan
10 weeks ago

Southport

"Sicknens me how some people are so quick to defend sex offenders."

Yes it's despicable but we are not the legal system.

Our response is pure emotional.

They were accused , convicted and served their sentence for the crime as per the law.

I might not agree but they did what was required legally.

By *lue NotebooksCouple
10 weeks ago

Wirral

"Sicknens me how some people are so quick to defend sex offenders.

Yes it's despicable but we are not the legal system.

Our response is pure emotional.

They were accused , convicted and served their sentence for the crime as per the law.

I might not agree but they did what was required legally."

My response is emotional because I am a human being with empathy with my fellow humans. The law regarding sexual crimes is an absolute joke, so many people agree. And so I will continue to support victims over disgusting sex offenders

By *oo..Woman
10 weeks ago

Boo's World

How's that fair?

That's good because you are missing a lot of fact in your opinion.

His still on the UK sex offenders register, and he should not be competing.

He was transferred back to his own country from the UK, so under "Dutch law" the conviction of r@pe was allowed to be changed to "fornication" hence why he was released after only serving one year!

It was also not one count of r@pe that he admitted too and was convicted of, it was 3 r@pe charges against the same "child".

Let's just state that again in case you're missing it.

"12 years old" after being groomed online for some time before he flew over to the UK to commit the act.

He knew what he was doing, he is a sexual predator and always will be.

He deserves all the backlash his getting and so much more.

By *olden_Road_to_SamarkandMan
10 weeks ago

LONDON

Interesting info. On change under Dutch law. Does anyine jnow why Dutch law is different, and if so why?

10 weeks ago

LONDON

In my village there is a 14 year old mum with a 3 year old, and a partner (childs father) aged 19....no one seems to bat an eyelid....pretty creepy if you ask me, but apparently this isn't unusual.. what am i missing here?!?!

By *batMan
10 weeks ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"Interesting info. On change under Dutch law. Does anyine jnow why Dutch law is different, and if so why?"

Because the Netherlands are a sovereign state and decide their own laws. Why should they be the same as Wales and England?? Why would you think the UK gets it right rather than elsewhere???

Gbat

10 weeks ago

North West

"Interesting info. On change under Dutch law. Does anyine jnow why Dutch law is different, and if so why?"

At the time of the offence, the Dutch law had a much lower age of consent. I believe it was 13 or 14. It is now 16. However they still have a "Romeo and Juliet" law which means people close in, where one or both are 12-16, are not prosecuted, so long as the relationship does not "breach social norms", whatever that means.

Basically, at the time he was convicted in the UK, the rules on consent in the Netherlands were very different and not fixed. They are no longer so variable but still less clear cut than our law.

That said, it's unusual for a conviction in one EU country, as was at the time, to result in any different treatment if the person was sent back to their country of origin, also in the EU.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
10 weeks ago

Central

I don't think that he should have retained the privilege to compete, when others who are decent, will not have that possibility.

By *vaRose43Woman
10 weeks ago

Forest of Dean

He groomed and assaulted a child.

What happens will follow that child for her entire life. Of course it should follow him too.

We aren’t talking about someone shoplifting or nicking a car here. This man is a sex offender and as such should not be allowed to compete or take part in any event where young people will be present as either audience members or indeed many young fellow athletes.

By *asycouple1971Couple
10 weeks ago

midlands

Don’t let this distract you from the fact that Hector is going to be running three Honda civics with spoon engines, and on top of that, he just went into Harry’s and bought three t66 turbos with nos, and a motec exhaust system.

10 weeks ago

"He groomed and assaulted a child.

What happens will follow that child for her entire life. Of course it should follow him too.

We aren’t talking about someone shoplifting or nicking a car here. This man is a sex offender and as such should not be allowed to compete or take part in any event where young people will be present as either audience members or indeed many young fellow athletes.

"

I think this lady has summed up the situation. Being convicted of such a heinous crime does or should carry life time restrictions to ensure the safety of others.

By *allySlinkyWoman
10 weeks ago

Leeds

"In my village there is a 14 year old mum with a 3 year old, and a partner (childs father) aged 19....no one seems to bat an eyelid....pretty creepy if you ask me, but apparently this isn't unusual.. what am i missing here?!?!"

I think it is highly unusual for an 11 year old to keep her baby.

By *arlot o scaraWoman
10 weeks ago

Hell

So would you be comfortable with this man being around your children if he’s done his time?

He was sentenced to four years and served 12 months. I’d argue he has not done his time at all. In fact, at sentencing he was told any hope of representing his country has gone and yet here we are.

There has been a lot of talk about transgender athletes competing in women’s sports due to women’s safety, but then a comment like this is made about an actual sex offender. It makes you wonder if the point actually is women’s safety, doesn’t it, since he is allowed (supervised, but still) to compete in the Olympic stadium alongside women and teenage girls.

He is only competing in the event with several special measures. He is not allowed to stay in the Olympic village. He has to be chaperoned at all times. He is not allowed to do press interviews. They KNOW he is dangerous.

He should not be allowed anywhere near the olympics.

By *vaRose43Woman
10 weeks ago

Forest of Dean

So would you be comfortable with this man being around your children if he’s done his time?

He was sentenced to four years and served 12 months. I’d argue he has not done his time at all. In fact, at sentencing he was told any hope of representing his country has gone and yet here we are.

There has been a lot of talk about transgender athletes competing in women’s sports due to women’s safety, but then a comment like this is made about an actual sex offender. It makes you wonder if the point actually is women’s safety, doesn’t it, since he is allowed (supervised, but still) to compete in the Olympic stadium alongside women and teenage girls.

He is only competing in the event with several special measures. He is not allowed to stay in the Olympic village. He has to be chaperoned at all times. He is not allowed to do press interviews. They KNOW he is dangerous.

He should not be allowed anywhere near the olympics. "

Precisely

By *eparated_galWoman
10 weeks ago

Salford

He should not be allowed anywhere near the olympics.

Precisely

"

He didnt serve his sentance, the dutch let them out early, he shiuld nit be allowed to compete, people get selected to represent their country, if the dutch are ok knowing it seems they are ok with chld rpists repesenting them as a people, should be best of the best not worse of the worse

10 weeks ago

North West

He should not be allowed anywhere near the olympics. "

Please also note he was only moved out of the Olympic village and all this extra "security" put in place AFTER the media interest in what Paula Radcliffe said. Had she not made her comments and the outfit occured, he'd be staying in the Olympic village and freely mingling with whoever. I would HOPE minor athletes are chaperoned and that there's a separate part of the Village for them, but it wouldn't surprise me if not. Some of the gymnasts, synchronised swimmers and other athletes are U18 definitely and there should be separate accommodation for them and enhanced safeguarding anyway.

10 weeks ago

LONDON

"In my village there is a 14 year old mum with a 3 year old, and a partner (childs father) aged 19....no one seems to bat an eyelid....pretty creepy if you ask me, but apparently this isn't unusual.. what am i missing here?!?!

I think it is highly unusual for an 11 year old to keep her baby. "

Absolutely - i tgink her mother is probably the official guardian .... but still odd.... to me uf not ithers in the village... !

Post new Message to Thread