Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What's the worst job you've ever had

Jump to newest

By *he love cats OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Wales

but you've done it because you needed the money?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *arlot o scaraWoman
10 weeks ago

Hell

Store manager

I used to cry in my car all the way to work

By *r John WickMan
10 weeks ago

The Continental

Window cleaning

By *eroLondonMan
10 weeks ago

Mayfair

Working in a booth at a Long Term car park at Heathrow Airport. We were all treated as dirt.

We weren't given any time off and I missed Prince's Lovesexy tour as a consequence.

By *asterMeliodasMan
10 weeks ago

Near Keith

Probably the paper round I had as a teenager.

My bike got nicked and I ended up having to be taken around in the shop owner's van for a bit. Then my *replacement* bike got nicked (it was heavily chained, but they used cutters) and he fired me for being unreliable.

Like...I'm very sorry for being the victim of thieves? It's a terrible personality trait, I know.

By *ansoffateMan
10 weeks ago

Sagittarius A

Tool factory. A really old place. There were only two guys who could run the furnace and they would get pissed all day. The management gave them a slab of super strength lager every morning, that was one of their conditions.

The 'dip' room was the worst. No ventilation troughs of varnish and paint, you dipped the tools in and hung to dry. They wouldn't allow the doors to be open as the fumes would get into the machine room and that would be too dangerous as people would get high whilst operating them.

There was a bucket to puke in though, which was a nice touch I thought. I cut myself once on the band sander once. After being in there too long. I missed the hook because my vision was blurry and slipped into the machine. I went to the first aid box. There was one plaster from that looked like it had been there for 30 years that's it. The boss said, if you leave your shift early then you lose a day's pay. I'd done 6 hours so I just wrapped it up with my t shirt and went back to work.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 22/07/24 11:13:48]

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

[Removed by poster at 22/07/24 11:13:50]

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

Working in a shoe shop in 1975 during the summer break from college. I got the sack for not selling enough polish to hard up parents who could barely afford the shoes they were buying for their kids. Nothing to do with the woman who came in that morning asking for a job who had worked in the Oxford Street branch... of course

It worked in my favour because a friend knew of a job in a seafront cafe and it's still one of the best jobs I ever had.

By *issmorganWoman
10 weeks ago

Calderdale innit

I worked in a make up factory one summer during my Alevels.

All I did was put a sticker on the mascaras as they came down the machine.

I used to pray for that machine to break .

By *oo..Woman
10 weeks ago

Boo's World

Hairdressing

By *zeroMan
10 weeks ago

A wretched hive of scum and villainy

Working in a Tie Rack for extra Christmas money. Was in the middle of Glasgow Central Station in December so icy winds passed through all day. Never warmed up the whole time I was there.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
10 weeks ago

somewhere

Spoons was up there, joined the day their Christmas menu came out, because rubik had worked there years prior they assumed I knew everything. I left after 2 weeks.

But when we worked at a hotel together 18 months before COVID hit, was the worst time ever (I mean if it wasn't for there, we wouldn't be here now so wasn't all bad).

We left both our old jobs, county and moved over 2 hours away, first night there (they said they thought we were coming ybr next day) so no bed for us, had to sleep in one of the guest rooms, we cried together at how bad it was, we had our reservations beforehand but was too late to back out and we honestly wondered what we had done, we worked very very long hours for very little pay (our room was included, so he thought he was paying top dollar, with a bathroom with half a ceiling missing for 8 months!), we would very often work from 6am to 3am if there was a function and back up again at 6 to cater for breakfast, there was the world's bitches woman that worked there too.

Happy when COVID hit and we had to close, best lockdown ever, then we got made redundant and now we have our forever home so wouldn't change it x

By *imply DeeWoman
10 weeks ago

Wherever

Cleaner in a shirt sewing factory and then I progressed to fabric pattern matching person.

I can never look at shirts the same again!

By *ools and the brainCouple
10 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

I've been in the building trade for almost 40 year's where do you want me to start?

By *urry BlokeMan
10 weeks ago

Working for Kwik Save (remember them?)

My manager was made redundant and was replaced by a bully

I lasted 3 months before I walked

By (user no longer on site)
10 weeks ago

"I've been in the building trade for almost 40 year's where do you want me to start?"

Nearly 45 for me and I love the construction industry.

Wouldn’t change it.

By *ools and the brainCouple
10 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Do have some shit job's tho!

I hate it always have,I shouldn't complain because I could have changed it but am too thick to do anything else

10 weeks ago

"Do have some shit job's tho!

I hate it always have,I shouldn't complain because I could have changed it but am too thick to do anything else "

I rather doubt you are, thick that is!

Looking back at being an apprentice joiner and carpenter those were halcyon days. My second day at work I was sent to by 10 lilets tipped.

Today that’s probably counted as something dreadful!

By *urls and DressesWoman
10 weeks ago

Somewhere near here

Either a ready meal factory where some men just wouldn’t let me do the work because “it’s a man’s job” and has put me off ready meals for life. Or working in Burger King where you were simply dirt by the public and dirt by management.

By *otSoPetiteMortWoman
10 weeks ago

Hertfordshire

Telesales. Hands down.

By *affron40Woman
10 weeks ago

manchester

Running a massive kids playcentre. Great money. Fuck me my ears!!!!!

By *weet and SpiceCouple
10 weeks ago

Around the Midlands

Got to be data entry during one summer. The work was so repetitive and mind-numbingly dull!

By *hawn ScottMan
10 weeks ago

london Brixton

Field engineer for PC World back in 95/96 drove around the country doing warranty repairs.

Some days drove over 100 miles to be abused by a customer for being 5 minutes late and how they paid 2.5k for some piece of junk that never worked.

Then pointed out that it wasn't plugged in! Some apologised but some people don't like looking stupid so called PC world to complain that I was rude and arrogant.

The money was great as I was through an agency and paid by the hour. Never worked less than 12 hours a day and regularly got called on a Saturday or Sunday morning when I was supposed to have a weekend off as they promised a customer they would send someone out!

20 years old and had no social life! Was there about 6 months then left as it was gonna send me down funny farm

By *a LunaWoman
10 weeks ago

South

Worked in the Bodyshop department of a garage not long after leaving College. Detested it. Lasted a week and it was the longest week of my life.

By *ust of the LibertineMan
10 weeks ago

Maesteg

Outbound call centre. Phone constantly ringing and trying to fleece people out of their hard-earned cash in the middle of Bargain Hunt.

Detested it, lasted less than a week out of training and ended up chucking my headset down in front of the manager and walking out. Definitely a lucky escape!

By *oe11109Man
10 weeks ago

from UK now living in Elmsdale

My current job, writing 146 operating instructions for electrical equipment, trying to get a job back home in Cumbria so i can leave....

10 weeks ago

Call centre cold calling about PPI claims. A million times worse than working in an abattoir as a student.

By *ookie46Woman
10 weeks ago

Deepest darkest Peru

Banking call centre, lasted 10 weeks and seven of those were in training

10 weeks ago

Selling shoes from a market stall at Blackbushe market as a teenager.

By *uitarman222222Man
10 weeks ago

Village near great yarmouth

Norwich union call centre. Norwich union wrote to all their mortgage holders telling them the endowment mortgage they had been sold was rubbish and wouldn't pay off their mortgages. There would be a shortfall. I was in a call centre team set up to deal with the thousands of angry customers. We had to tell them to keep paying the old endowment mortgage, and also take out a new one to cover the shortfall. Result: very angry customers calling you all sorts of names, swearing and threatening you, eight hours a day. After a few months got sacked, as finally I lost it and told a caller to fuck off. Never been so pleased to lose a job.

By *he love cats OP   Couple
10 weeks ago

South Wales

A lot of people hating call centre work I've never tried it so I will never know.

My worst job was making those big concrete drainage pipes that you can walk through, good money but really bad for your health, breathing in cement dust, covered in oil and the noise was deafening.

By *uxom redCouple
10 weeks ago

Shrewsbury

Turkey inseminator ,only lasted half a day .first you have to catch them then flip them over without them pecking your face off or breaking your arm .then shove a tube up it the blow semen in .remembering not to suck as your fighting a 20 lb bird.

By *iddlesticksMan
10 weeks ago

My nan’s spare room.

38 years later I’m still doing it.

Although I love it really.

By *abtastic Mr FoxMan
10 weeks ago

A den in the Glen

I've only had 2. The other one. Worked in BEJAMS. Yes I'm old.

By *xfordjohnMan
10 weeks ago

Oxford

I can't really tell you as I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement when I left (not voluntarily but I had a good solicitor so had a big cheque too) but it involved working for a CEO who wouldn't delegate, was corrupt, and encouraged back-stabbing and tale-telling amongst his staff. Two very unhappy years.

By *ell GwynnWoman
10 weeks ago

North Yorkshire

Authorisation centre for a bank. Even working on a pig farm shovelling poo was far more rewarding than that.

By *heBigLibowskiMan
10 weeks ago

Hampshire

Either...

1) Telesales as a teen. I'm not massive talker and I fucking hate being on the phone. Not a great mix for me.

2) I worked on a cotton farm in Austrailia for a bit... 14 hours in the desert sun operating machinery, living in a shack with 2 small meals a day.

By *KTim61Man
10 weeks ago

Tipton

"but you've done it because you needed the money?"

I was a Stripper . . . . . . . . . . But only a Wallpaper Stripper !!! I was paid 10p a square metre, so I was working on my own I needed to strip more than 3 houses a week, but mostly only managed to do 2

By *ohntall123Man
10 weeks ago

hitchin

Durex factory , it’s was ok but the working a week in hand was tough lol haha sorry lol

10 weeks ago

Sky TV Call Centre trying to sell extended warranties. Absolutely soul destroying.

10 weeks ago

I worked in an ice cream parlour for a while, the job sucked but I did get the opportunity to refuse a sale to a member of E17 as his card kept declining

By *akHeartWoodMan
10 weeks ago

Crawley

You know those blankets they give you on a long flight?

They get washed after use and then dried. After they come out of the drier they get folded. Piles and piles and piles of them. Folded a certain way on a 12 hot shift. Mind numbingly boring. Your hands would dry out really quick.

The worst.

I think they get machines to do it now.

By *heBigLibowskiMan
10 weeks ago

Hampshire

"You know those blankets they give you on a long flight?

They get washed after use and then dried. After they come out of the drier they get folded. Piles and piles and piles of them. Folded a certain way on a 12 hot shift. Mind numbingly boring. Your hands would dry out really quick.

The worst.

I think they get machines to do it now. "

Crawley... Gatwick.

I have a close friend in Crawley - very handy to park at his if I want to fly from Gatwick!

10 weeks ago

Paper cup factory when I was 18, 12 hour shifts of packing paper cups into boxes. I lasted 3 weeks

By *inky_couple2020Couple
10 weeks ago

North West

Matalan, when I was at sixth form

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
10 weeks ago

little house on the praire

Cleaning mens factory toilets. But when needs must

By *riel13Woman
10 weeks ago

Northampton

Trussing chickens in a chicken factory

By *sleWightCoupleCouple
10 weeks ago

Ryde

Worked seven years as a homecare operative. It was a company run entirely by women, and I was one of only two in about 70 workers on the books. After a while, they started giving me the lousiest jobs, the worst clients (nasty, vicious alcoholics, psychotics, etc), kept all the clean/high-paying bonus jobs for the women at the company.

When I was being treated fairly, the job was OK. The clients liked me, and I got on well with some of the more difficult ones. Hell, I really bonded with a guy who had "Locked-In-Syndrome", and able to communicate with him when others couldn't. I was completely honest and refused to be part of the culture which cheated the hours whilst claiming full pay. But when you are struggling to pay the mortgage with shitting, diminished hours as one of the other workers spends January in Vegas every year, it really grates.

It was when they tried to get me to work consecutive Christmas days (when they knew damn well my father was gravely ill at the time, and I wanted to spend it with him) that I snapped and handed in my notice.

In the last couple of years, my wife ran into someone who used to work in the office there. I have no idea how she knew my wife, as they'd never met, but felt she had to clear her conscience. She said that she "really didn't like" what they did to me, elaborating that my hours were deliberately whittled down to unlivable numbers, the decent jobs were purposely denied and I was intentionally given the very worst, most unpleasant jobs. Why? Because the management decided that I was a square peg in their sea of holes. It was constructive dismissal, but kept very quite at the time. The whole experience left me with mental scars, as I was scrabbling in the shit for loose change to keep a roof over my head whilst everyone else was living high on the hog.

Sorry for the rant, but the whole thing really burns all these years later.

By *agatoXXXMan
10 weeks ago

Mordor

Cleaning up the studio after Derek and Clive were done.

By *JandCMCouple
10 weeks ago

cardiff

Waiter, did it for 1 night back in 1982 n never went back.

By *xydadbodMan
10 weeks ago

Milton keynes

Working nights in a supermarket.. absolutely killed my social life and has shattered my sleeping pattern since for little appreciation. Worst is I've never worked for a company where there is a massive divide between managers and staff and it clearly shows when about an hour into my induction, I was asked to join the union lol

By *Silver-Man
10 weeks ago

Mold

Putting skins on salami, being the only male worker amongst a lot of females in a meat factory.

I was young and felt very intiminated??

By *naswingdressWoman
10 weeks ago

Manchester (she/her)

Fast food call centre. The death and bomb threats were really proportionate to your local shop being busy

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
10 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire

tesco as a cashier - but mainly due to the rubbish store manager we had, thought he was gods gift to humankind and didn't like that I didn't agree

By *ornucopiaMan
10 weeks ago

Bexley

"Turkey inseminator ,only lasted half a day .first you have to catch them then flip them over without them pecking your face off or breaking your arm .then shove a tube up it the blow semen in .remembering not to suck as your fighting a 20 lb bird."

Sounds like a 'basted' job!

By *he Silver FuxMan
10 weeks ago

Uttoxeter

"Putting skins on salami, being the only male worker amongst a lot of females in a meat factory.

I was young and felt very intiminated??"

I bet you can slip a condom on soooo easily amirite?

I was young and had to run the gauntlet of the Typing Pool - bum pinched, cock grabbed, snogged, dry humped… and that was the first day

10 weeks ago

I have been fortunate to work in an industry I truly enjoy. I couldn’t imagine working in a call centre and if the person who cold called me today on loft insulation please accept my apologies for being dismissive and aloof, I mean a roof

By *tormchasingCouple
10 weeks ago

Gloucester

Used to work at CrowdStrike, but had a really bad day on Friday and got fired.....

By *haiababeWoman
10 weeks ago

North devon

Used to work in an egg packing factory. In liquid egg production. A big machone got loaded with eggs, went through a whole in the wall to a cold room, where someone (normally me),would stand infront of a river of eggs, flowing infront of them with a ladle scoping out shell and blood spit eggs etc. Bare in mid these eggs were discsrded ones from packing for egg boxes. Heven forbid we got a rotten one come through cos thrn you had to stop the machine and clean the trough out. We used to send out a tanker of luquid egg a day. We were a small team so that was good and the guys inworked with were great fun. Except for the supervisor inwas the only female. But i did have to argue for 2 loading turns a day not one. Pointing out that i could keep up with the blokes loading. Otherwisr i would just be abandoned to stay in the cokd room all day.

Lasted 9 months. One of those jobs where you hate the job but like the people. Best part was they changed out workong week from monday to fridsy to sunday to Thursday but because we didnt sign a contracts agreeing to work sundays we got time and a half for 4 months.

By *Silver-Man
10 weeks ago

Mold

"Putting skins on salami, being the only male worker amongst a lot of females in a meat factory.

I was young and felt very intiminated??

I bet you can slip a condom on soooo easily amirite?

I was young and had to run the gauntlet of the Typing Pool - bum pinched, cock grabbed, snogged, dry humped… and that was the first day"

As it goes..

By *G TMan
10 weeks ago

birmingham

"Window cleaning"

Snap lool

By *egWorshipperMan
10 weeks ago

Gods Country

Cleaning chicken guano from inside the belly of an Egyptian cargo plane. I can still smell it.

By *ornucopiaMan
10 weeks ago

Bexley

"Cleaning chicken guano from inside the belly of an Egyptian cargo plane. I can still smell it. "

I'm picturing an AN26.

I always wonder what they are lugging into Birmingham from dubious locations. livestock never crossed my mind until now.

By *ature420Couple
10 weeks ago

aberdeen

I worked in a helium factory.

Left after 10 minutes. I refuse to be spoken to in that tone of voice

By *r.SJMan
10 weeks ago

Wellingborough

Hardest job is that of which I do now... being a carer to my parents

It often feels relentless and both physically and mentally draining and as it's a case of needs must, the earning potential isn't there and the money to get by is awful.

10 weeks ago

I were in a deep drainage job around 4 m deep in basically quick sand making a sewage connection LIVE so were literally knee deep in shit lol

By *enisorousMan
10 weeks ago

sunderland

"Do have some shit job's tho!

I hate it always have,I shouldn't complain because I could have changed it but am too thick to do anything else

I rather doubt you are, thick that is!

Looking back at being an apprentice joiner and carpenter those were halcyon days. My second day at work I was sent to by 10 lilets tipped.

Today that’s probably counted as something dreadful!"

Lillets tipped....haha..brilliant

By * WillisMan
10 weeks ago

london

Used to work at a recycling company. The section I worked in used to squash all the drinks cans. It was so depressing

I’ll get my coat

By *uitarman222222Man
10 weeks ago

"Used to work at CrowdStrike, but had a really bad day on Friday and got fired....."

I get the joke, well done

10 weeks ago

Courier company in Manchester.

Controller was a right little jumped up shitbag. Conatantly 'forgetting' to pay bonuses, fuel allowance etc but smirking at about us being a few hundred pounds short each month.

The day I left was the day I dragged him through the little hatch/window to his office and laid him out - to the applause of several office staff, riders and drivers.

By *tsMattyHMan
10 weeks ago

Inverurie

[Removed by poster at 23/07/24 14:44:40]

By *tsMattyHMan
10 weeks ago

Inverurie

The worst job I ever had was as an HGV mechanic. Not the fixing part. Just management being as incompetent and petty. Few blow ups later and I walked mid job. Found out later he got an idiot to finish the job using 2nd hand parts that failed. Enough said

By *egWorshipperMan
10 weeks ago

Gods Country

[Removed by poster at 23/07/24 15:42:58]

By *egWorshipperMan
10 weeks ago

Gods Country

"Cleaning chicken guano from inside the belly of an Egyptian cargo plane. I can still smell it.

I'm picturing an AN26.

I always wonder what they are lugging into Birmingham from dubious locations. livestock never crossed my mind until now."

Actually it was an ancient Boeing 707.

By *issBlackedCouple
10 weeks ago

I Travel

Teleperformance and their 7 minute rule that doesn't exist, yet is enforced by every manager lol

By *uitarman222222Man
10 weeks ago

Another horrible job I had was working for a well known company who gave loans to very poor people. 600 % APR. These customers were on the bread line. Unemployed, single parents etc. I felt so sorry for them and in the second week I just had had enough. As I was doing my round, I phoned my manager and said I'd work the week out (four days). After two minutes of him swearing at me, I told him to fuck his job and left there and then.

By *till gameMan
10 weeks ago

two doors down

"Used to work at a recycling company. The section I worked in used to squash all the drinks cans. It was so depressing

I’ll get my coat"

So you got canned

Ok ok am walking

Post new Message to Thread