Back to The Lounge

Assumption

Jump to newest

By *iker Jack OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

There’s a saying

“Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups”

Do we all assume too much, be it about other people or things in general, what will or won’t be done.

Does assumption actually mean we miss out on things. Thinking it will or will not happen, or sometimes are we afraid to ask as we think we may know the answer whereas we actually don’t

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *asterMeliodasMan
10 weeks ago

Near Keith

It's an interesting question. I definitely think people can often self-sabotage by assuming how something will turn out instead of letting it play out, and they end up creating a self-fulfilling prophecy where it only goes the way they assumed because their expectations unconsciously steered it that way.

By *a LunaWoman
10 weeks ago

South

I’m sure I’ve missed out on things due to incorrect assumptions.

But there is another saying “you can’t miss what you never had”.

So it evens itself out!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Great question Jack.

People assume too much and this will keep them firmly locked in their present viewpoints and they will cease to develop .

Simple as

By *iker Jack OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

"Great question Jack.

People assume too much and this will keep them firmly locked in their present viewpoints and they will cease to develop .

Simple as"

Every now and then a great question pops into my head. Thats this years quota of them used though

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Everyone makes assumptions. It's human nature.

The important thing is to be able and prepared to stand corrected, change viewpoints and acknowledge you were wrong if those assumptions turn out to be incorrect.

By *ellinever70Woman
10 weeks ago

Ayrshire

In relation to places like here, I'm okay with sticking with my assumptions about some people and don't feel I'm missing out in any way

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

"Everyone makes assumptions. It's human nature.

The important thing is to be able and prepared to stand corrected, change viewpoints and acknowledge you were wrong if those assumptions turn out to be incorrect. "

Agreed but even better if people reasoned about what they see and hear and acted on their findings rather than assumptions and knee jerk reactions.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

"In relation to places like here, I'm okay with sticking with my assumptions about some people and don't feel I'm missing out in any way "

Are those assumptions ? I'd say they are decisions based on experience. You are aware you could be assuming - there's a difference.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

The important thing is to be able and prepared to stand corrected, change viewpoints and acknowledge you were wrong if those assumptions turn out to be incorrect.

Agreed but even better if people reasoned about what they see and hear and acted on their findings rather than assumptions and knee jerk reactions. "

True.

But some of my assumptions are formed based on reasoned argument and what I've witnessed.

So assumptions aren't always baseless, knee jerk or incorrect.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
10 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

Agreed but even better if people reasoned about what they see and hear and acted on their findings rather than assumptions and knee jerk reactions.

True.

But some of my assumptions are formed based on reasoned argument and what I've witnessed.

So assumptions aren't always baseless, knee jerk or incorrect. "

Surely if something is based on reasoned argument or personal experience it is not an assumption, to assume would be to arrive at a point without either of those.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

There's another saying ' assume' makes an ass out of u and me.

I assume that's sometimes correct

By *affron40Woman
10 weeks ago

manchester

I assume people are telling the truth. It’s often my downfall

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

Sometimes you have to assume to illustrate a point you're making.

By *8on33Man
10 weeks ago

winfrith

"There’s a saying

Do we all assume too much, be it about other people or things in general, what will or won’t be done.

Does assumption actually mean we miss out on things. Thinking it will or will not happen, or sometimes are we afraid to ask as we think we may know the answer whereas we actually don’t "

Assumption here makes women's lives here easier ,yes they miss out but they don't care do you ladies?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

True.

Surely if something is based on reasoned argument or personal experience it is not an assumption, to assume would be to arrive at a point without either of those. "

assumptions are baseless as far as I know - they are the accepting of something without proof and therefore baseless....

BUT - could there be an in between e.g. as Obi says ( he based his 'assumption' on what he saw and heard or read or whatever ) a sort of very partially informed assumption ?

We all have to make snap decisions at times e.g. if im being chased by someone with a machete , then i'd assume right away they intend to do me harm and not pick fluff off my cardie.

The worst assumptions from my point of view are those that are informed by bias and word of mouth ...

Blind belief and not questioning why we think the things we think can be very limiting....

By *ellhungvweMan
10 weeks ago

Cheltenham

I think it depends where you are and what you are assuming about. People assume all the time because often it is the most likely thing to happen and is therefore a shortcut. That’s fine.

Where it goes wrong is when there are consequences that haven’t been thought about or where you don’t learn from the assumptions that you made previously that didn’t work out.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

"I assume people are telling the truth. It’s often my downfall "

I take everyone on face value until I learn otherwise ... I listen and believe until . ... the opposite is too horrible to contemplate don't you think ?

Mistrust and cynicism ...

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

"Sometimes you have to assume to illustrate a point you're making."

Can you give me a 'such as' ?

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
10 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

True.

Surely if something is based on reasoned argument or personal experience it is not an assumption, to assume would be to arrive at a point without either of those.

assumptions are baseless as far as I know - they are the accepting of something without proof and therefore baseless....

BUT - could there be an in between e.g. as Obi says ( he based his 'assumption' on what he saw and heard or read or whatever ) a sort of very partially informed assumption ?

We all have to make snap decisions at times e.g. if im being chased by someone with a machete , then i'd assume right away they intend to do me harm and not pick fluff off my cardie.

The worst assumptions from my point of view are those that are informed by bias and word of mouth ...

Blind belief and not questioning why we think the things we think can be very limiting....

"

In the example you give, I would ‘conclude’, rather than assume, there is sufficient evidence to have passed the stage of assumption.

Yes, I’m being picky. No need for assumption there either

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

If you mean the machete example .. it's still an assumption e.g. the conclusion would be my inference that I hadn't had time to think about critically and therefore remains an assumption ...

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Sometimes you have to assume to illustrate a point you're making.

Can you give me a 'such as' ?"

I'm thinking of the oft used phrase ' let's assume for the sake of argument '. I used it the other day in a discussion about whether women have more choice on fab than men. I said rather arrogantly I feel ' in a room of one hundred men (let's assume for the sake of argument that they all fund me attractive) I would only find five of them attractive ' to illustrate my belief that women don't have more choice, that is an assumption on behalf of many men.

Maybe that's too many assumptions by me though.

By *rHotNottsMan
10 weeks ago

Dubai & Nottingham

As adults we have to make certain assumptions to navigate the world and relationships effectively. But we can learn to be self-aware and know when we’re making unrealistic assumptions and suspend all judgement. When you do you realise you can create any future you desire.

By *imply DeeWoman
10 weeks ago

Wherever

Whenever I assume something, I’m usually right.

Especially on here.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Got you ..... I use the word 'imagine' in that case. It's a very good way of examining possibilities and explaining a point ..... It's not the same as 'assuming' all men do fancy you in reality. Thanks for the explanation I get what you meant now.

By (user no longer on site)
10 weeks ago

"There’s a saying

Does assumption actually mean we miss out on things. Thinking it will or will not happen, or sometimes are we afraid to ask as we think we may know the answer whereas we actually don’t "

Expectations are also a killer for a good vibe when you think something completely different to someone else. I’ve learned to curb mine and just go with the flow. In the past I’ve misread loads of situations and got hurt.

Assuming something bad might happen can definitely stop the good times though, so we realy should just go for stuff without expectations…. If that makes sense. ?

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple
10 weeks ago

Southampton

Never expect anything and you can never be disappointed right ??

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Got you ..... I use the word 'imagine' in that case. It's a very good way of examining possibilities and explaining a point ..... It's not the same as 'assuming' all men do fancy you in reality. Thanks for the explanation I get what you meant now."

Yeah but we all know all men do fancy me in reality Granny.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Well yes.... goes without saying

By *iker Jack OP   Man
10 weeks ago

Wolverhampton

Do you allow yourself to change an assumption and how easy is it?

Or do you find that first impressions are normally correct?

A further question for all

By *till gameMan
10 weeks ago

two doors down

"Got you ..... I use the word 'imagine' in that case. It's a very good way of examining possibilities and explaining a point ..... It's not the same as 'assuming' all men do fancy you in reality. Thanks for the explanation I get what you meant now.

Yeah but we all know all men do fancy me in reality Granny. "

I assume I would fancy you ! But then I’ve not seen you

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Do you allow yourself to change an assumption and how easy is it?

A further question for all "

Yes I do allow myself to change an assumption I'd be daft not to. I find it quite easy. My first impressions are quite often wrong.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

"Got you ..... I use the word 'imagine' in that case. It's a very good way of examining possibilities and explaining a point ..... It's not the same as 'assuming' all men do fancy you in reality. Thanks for the explanation I get what you meant now.

I assume I would fancy you ! But then I’ve not seen you "

There's a reason I don't show my face

By *ellinever70Woman
10 weeks ago

Ayrshire

"Do you allow yourself to change an assumption and how easy is it?

A further question for all "

Again, if in relation to here, I'm happy to stick with my first impressions mostly

By *till gameMan
10 weeks ago

two doors down

There's a reason I don't show my face "

Ha ha oh yeah now I’m remembering Noah and methuselah!

Can I change my assumption

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

10 weeks ago

East Sussex

There's a reason I don't show my face

Ha ha oh yeah now I’m remembering Noah and methuselah!

Can I change my assumption "

yes.

By *ivemealadybonerWoman
10 weeks ago

somewhere

I assume way too much, I try not too

By *JcuriousCouple
10 weeks ago

Derby

I think so for sure.