Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Car question using a coolant hydrometer

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
10 weeks ago

Any mechanic types here?

I bought an hydrometer and in the instructions I have to take expansion lid off then run engine to temperature first

Can't I just use the hydrometer on cold engine coolant as it sounds dangerous otherwise

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rafter69Man
10 weeks ago

upminster

No doing it hot is to allow any combustion gases to be present in the coolant system

10 weeks ago

"No doing it hot is to allow any combustion gases to be present in the coolant system"

Yikes.. okay.. better get some gloves

By *rafter69Man
10 weeks ago

upminster

Sorry dude if its just antifreeze do it cold thought you was checking for headgasket leak-mis read it after a few pints ??

10 weeks ago

"Sorry dude if its just antifreeze do it cold thought you was checking for headgasket leak-mis read it after a few pints ??"

Ah right lol.. thanks for the advice. I'll get round to doing it sometime this week cheers mate

By (user no longer on site)
10 weeks ago

"Any mechanic types here?

I bought an hydrometer and in the instructions I have to take expansion lid off then run engine to temperature first

Can't I just use the hydrometer on cold engine coolant as it sounds dangerous otherwise "

Don’t do this… you will realise why if you actually do

By *oontuneMan
10 weeks ago

Menston

There's nothing dangerous about those instructions, if you run it up to temp with the cap off there will be no pressure build up.

By *inballs99Man
10 weeks ago

Blackheath

Test it cold buddy I was a senior technician at mercedes for 15 years

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
10 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

Make sure you listen to me first though. I used to work in Jacob's biscuit factory and my father never repaired a car in his life. xxx best of luck xxx I've pushed a car up a hill.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
10 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"Make sure you listen to me first though. I used to work in Jacob's biscuit factory and my father never repaired a car in his life. xxx best of luck xxx I've pushed a car up a hill. "

Is that a metaphor for life Granny.

By *erry bull1Man
10 weeks ago

doncaster

During my time in the army when stationed in Germany , we always checked the coolant with a hydrometer when the engines were cold , the instructions were to keep the coolant based at -21 , the reason being was to take into consideration the chill fracture when driving in winter conditions

10 weeks ago

Thanks for all the replies everyone

By *ools and the brainCouple
10 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

"Make sure you listen to me first though. I used to work in Jacob's biscuit factory and my father never repaired a car in his life. xxx best of luck xxx I've pushed a car up a hill. "

Your the best Granny

Post new Message to Thread